Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 05:04:02 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 [72] 73 74 »
  Print  
Author Topic: The Chili – 30+GH/s BFL based Bitcoin Miner Assembly  (Read 137664 times)
MrTeal (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 08:50:15 PM

And oddly enough my "dead" Chili is back to life and fully operational. No more 4 LEDs.

Why?

Well, before I was going to add it to my collection I did a complete cleaning of it first with spray on electronics cleaner and a nylon brush, followed by a nice alcohol bath (95% isopropyl). Plugged it in one last time and...

It worked perfectly. Over and over again.

I think the problem is the circuits for the power supply on the side there are susceptible to either resistive or capcitative leakage based on dust and normal stuff. Why people don't conformal coat these things is beyond me. However cleaning it off with Alcohol fixes the problem.

Yes, it's hashing again now. But I will shut it down to mount it. Eventually.

C
Was this the one that got rained on? It doesn't take a whole lot of moisture to get corrosion when you have voltage present, so I would guess that might be the problem that was cleaned off. I had 16 of these in my garage, and it's like a Saharan dust storm if I hit them with the compressor. None of them seem to have any issue with being outside, as long as they stay dry.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
lightfoot
Legendary

Activity: 3108
Merit: 2239

I fix broken miners. And make holes in teeth :-)

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 11:13:30 PM

Was this the one that got rained on? It doesn't take a whole lot of moisture to get corrosion when you have voltage present, so I would guess that might be the problem that was cleaned off. I had 16 of these in my garage, and it's like a Saharan dust storm if I hit them with the compressor. None of them seem to have any issue with being outside, as long as they stay dry.

Yep, and it was dead the last time before I cleaned it and got it running. Perhaps the rain plus corrosion allowed things to go bad again over time.

But it is working , and it could be just sensitive components.

C
Taugeran

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

CCNA: There i fixed the internet.

View Profile
June 14, 2014, 03:21:35 AM

i cant seem to get cgminer 4.3.4 to play nice with one of my chilis. it recognizes it but keeps giving bursts of hex2bin scan failed. and it presents 0 hashrate

Bitfury HW & Habañero : 1.625Th/s
tips/Donations: 1NoS89H3Mr6U5CmP4VwWzU2318JEMxHL1
Come join Coinbase
Maldrien

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 02, 2014, 06:04:55 PM
Last edit: September 02, 2014, 07:05:42 PM by Maldrien

Hi guys, I recently bought a used Chili miner for cheap and it ran fine for a week. Today, my pc had a BSOD and rebooted. After that the chili miner is no longer discovered by Windows. The power led comes on and the last led, starting from the usb port, is flashing as soon as the power is up. No other LEDs comes on.

Any idea on what is happening?

EDIT: I resetted the MCU and now only the second to last led is flashing...
 I tried updating the drivers, it says up to date.
Left the Chili miner unplugged from power and USB for a half hour and plugged it back, same results
Unplugged the miner, rebooted the PC, plugged it back, no luck.
MrTeal (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 02, 2014, 07:57:22 PM

Hi guys, I recently bought a used Chili miner for cheap and it ran fine for a week. Today, my pc had a BSOD and rebooted. After that the chili miner is no longer discovered by Windows. The power led comes on and the last led, starting from the usb port, is flashing as soon as the power is up. No other LEDs comes on.

Left the Chili miner unplugged from power and USB for a half hour and plugged it back, same results
Is it quite hot where you are? That LED will flash during startup while it's waiting to calibrate the on-die temperature sensors, but if the ambient is quite high it will continue waiting indefinitely for the board temp to get to a more normal temperature.
Maldrien

View Profile
September 03, 2014, 03:26:28 AM

Is it quite hot where you are? That LED will flash during startup while it's waiting to calibrate the on-die temperature sensors, but if the ambient is quite high it will continue waiting indefinitely for the board temp to get to a more normal temperature.

The room was quite hot so I waited for the night. Now if I plug the power in, without the usb cable, I see some leds flashing and only the last 2 will continue to flash for a little while until it all goes dark, power led still on.
If i connect a usb cable nothing happens, either on the pc or the chili.
hotwired007

Activity: 585

View Profile
September 03, 2014, 07:57:12 AM

Have you tried in a different PC or a different USB lead? might also be worth rying on a different PSU to exlude any other hardware as faulty.

This account was hacked & possibly sold during the period of August 1st and October 24th 2017.
Anything done or said in this period wasnt me.
Many thanks to Cyrus for his help restoring access to my account.
Maldrien

View Profile
September 03, 2014, 03:08:57 PM

Have you tried in a different PC or a different USB lead? might also be worth rying on a different PSU to exlude any other hardware as faulty.

I tried on my laptop (no drivers installed, fresh W7 install) and as soon as the USB was plugged in the laptop discovered the chili. I then proceeded to install the drivers ( CDM v2.10.00 WHQL Certified ) and now it's a USB Hub with an exclamation mark... and says failed to install device. So I must have the wrong drivers... If I uninstall the device, it will reappear just the same when plugged back in.

The thing is, I've been running a couple of Block Erupters just for fun on the original PC. When I bought the Chili it worked right away without the need to install additional drivers. Why the pc BSOD in the first place who knows, I wasn't there. But all erupters are working fine after that but not the Chili.

I have hope it's not doomed yet.

I'll try on a third pc, also with a fresh W7 install with new leads and another PSU. I'll be back with more info / results.

Thanks for the help!

MrTeal (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 03, 2014, 03:22:17 PM

I tried on my laptop (no drivers installed, fresh W7 install) and as soon as the USB was plugged in the laptop discovered the chili. I then proceeded to install the drivers ( CDM v2.10.00 WHQL Certified ) and now it's a USB Hub with an exclamation mark... and says failed to install device. So I must have the wrong drivers... If I uninstall the device, it will reappear just the same when plugged back in.

The thing is, I've been running a couple of Block Erupters just for fun on the original PC. When I bought the Chili it worked right away without the need to install additional drivers. Why the pc BSOD in the first place who knows, I wasn't there. But all erupters are working fine after that but not the Chili.

I'll try on a third pc, also with a fresh W7 install with new leads and another PSU. I'll be back with more info / results.

Thanks for the help!

Try installing the libusb driver using zadig, as explained in the cgminer readme.
http://ck.kolivas.org/apps/cgminer/zadig/
Maldrien

View Profile
September 03, 2014, 04:19:22 PM
Last edit: September 03, 2014, 05:49:08 PM by Maldrien

Thanks for the help!

Try installing the libusb driver using zadig, as explained in the cgminer readme.

I tried installing libusb and my erupters were not longer working and the Chili wasn't showing up in bfgminer. The only way I got them back working again was by re-installing CP210x USB to UART Bridge Driver v6.6.1 outside zadig. But the Chili is still unresponsive.

I got 15 Erupters and 1 Chili on this build and I've been using Bfgminer 4.5 for a while without problems.

Edit: I'll unplug all erupters and see what's going on in device manager

Soo after unplugging everyting I can see the Chili in device manager as BitForce SHA256 SC. In Zadig the driver is WinUSB v.6.1.7600 WCID: X but still doesn't appear in Bfgminer on the original pc. BUT it does on the laptop with these drivers and CGminer BUT it doesn't mine. Cgminer connects to the pool but after 30 min nothing shows.

If I try to install the WCID it fail everytime

Again with Zadig I tried the libusb_win32 v1.2.6.0 driver without luck

The guy who sold it to me, told me he never was able to get the chili work with BFGminer. He used cgminer. But it worked right away the first time for me in BFG wy doesn't it work now Sad

MrTeal (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 03, 2014, 05:34:33 PM

Thanks for the help!

I tried installing libusb and my erupters were not longer working and the Chili wasn't showing up in bfgminer. The only way I got them back working again was by re-installing CP210x USB to UART Bridge Driver v6.6.1 outside zadig. But the Chili is still unresponsive.

I got 15 Erupters and 1 Chili on this build and I've been using Bfgminer 4.5 for a while without problems.

Edit: I'll unplug all erupters and see what's going on in device manager
Ah, you're using BFGminer. In that case, you do need the FTDI driver. Do you see the device as a comm port when you plug it in?
Maldrien

View Profile
September 03, 2014, 05:54:16 PM

Ah, you're using BFGminer. In that case, you do need the FTDI driver. Do you see the device as a comm port when you plug it in?
[/quote]

No it doesn't, but the erupters does

Oh oh Guess who's back baby! That's right after installing CDM v2.10.00 WHQL Certified.exe it is finally hashing without problem! Thank you MrTeal and hotwired007!
JusMe

Activity: 7

View Profile
November 15, 2014, 03:40:20 PM

Any good used Chilis with coolers available for sale? Most posts are pretty old.
Mudbankkeith

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 15, 2014, 04:09:31 PM

Any good used Chilis with coolers available for sale? Most posts are pretty old.

Got a few here in the UK

See my post on EBay

BTc donations welcome:-  13c2KuzWCaWFTXF171Zn1HrKhMYARPKv97
nexus99
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 15, 2014, 04:13:03 PM

Got a few here in the UK

See my post on EBay

I have a bare board on ebay now.
Taugeran

Activity: 658

CCNA: There i fixed the internet.

View Profile
November 15, 2014, 07:21:18 PM

Where might you be located at?

Bitfury HW & Habañero : 1.625Th/s
tips/Donations: 1NoS89H3Mr6U5CmP4VwWzU2318JEMxHL1
Come join Coinbase
MrTeal (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 15, 2014, 08:35:21 PM

If someone wants to pay shipping, I have about a dozen bare boards kicking around that you can have if you'd like. They're just sitting on a shelf. Tongue
I do have a bunch of coolers for them as well, but I'd want $15/pc for the coolers and it would make shipping more expensive.
lightfoot
Legendary

View Profile
November 20, 2014, 03:22:47 AM

How efficient are they again with the low power flash? I disassembled my Chili awhile back, but now that it's cold upstairs I could use some more heat.

The turbo jallies did 5w/gh, the Single/60's did 4, a super low power and clock single can do close to 2w/gh. What's the current and speed for a Chili (running at full 40gh speed it was exceptionally inefficient but that didn't matter last winter).
MrTeal (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 20, 2014, 04:02:31 AM

How efficient are they again with the low power flash? I disassembled my Chili awhile back, but now that it's cold upstairs I could use some more heat.

The turbo jallies did 5w/gh, the Single/60's did 4, a super low power and clock single can do close to 2w/gh. What's the current and speed for a Chili (running at full 40gh speed it was exceptionally inefficient but that didn't matter last winter).
I haven't really looked into it, but I doubt it's very low.

What voltage and clock settings did you use to get a Single to 2W/GH?
lightfoot
Legendary

View Profile
November 21, 2014, 01:50:50 AM

Everything I could think of.

Lowest possible voltage with resistor changes (I think it came out to .7v or so), clock speed 0, no fans at all, and replaced all the FETs with much higher efficiency/better matched ones. I didn't screw with the FET clocking frequencies, but I did get rid of all that heat. (what did I do, I think it was going to 1-2 high side FETs and 2 low side FETs. If there was heat, I was working on it.

It was a little putt-putt, but I did manage to get it down below the 3w/gh barrier.

When I downclocked the Chili with your code, I think I remember it being closer to a bit under 4w/gh at a speed of about 30gh. Since we never had the real code I couldn't futz with it more to bring voltages down to the bottom range.

C
Pages: « 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 [72] 73 74 »
  Print  

Jump to: