Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 07:16:36 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 [63] 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 »
  Print  
Author Topic: The Chili – 30+GH/s BFL based Bitcoin Miner Assembly  (Read 137664 times)
Smooth0ne

Activity: 80
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 04, 2014, 07:24:01 PM

It's a corsair cx500.  I just cam home on my lunch break and was able to get it to turn on. I'm sure it will stay on for a couple hours but can go down at any thime. Then I will be unable to get the psu to turn on again for a long time. Thx again.

Check the voltages on the PSU while it's running. It's a group regulated design, so if you're pulling enough current on the 12V line without a load on the 5V line it's possible it's shutting off due to overvoltage on the 5V line.

Just out of curiosity. I have been running the single chili off a single pcie 6 pin coming from the PSU would that be a problem? I can try and find a dual 4 pin molex to 6 pin pcie adapter if needed. Anyone think this might be an issue? Still up and running since my last post. But i am sure by the time i wake up tomorrow it will be down. It has not stayed up more then 12-16 hours yet. I would ideally like to run both chilis off 1 500 wat supply if I can. Doesnt matter if its on the pcies themselves or if I need to get adapters. Please let me know. Thx!
The direct PCIe will be better than a dual 4 pin to PCIe, so use the one coming directly out of your power supply.

Thats what ive been doing. O well new PSU comes in today. Will test more when I get in from work.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Mudbankkeith

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 04, 2014, 07:39:06 PM

Hairdryer worked for me (for 4 cards, need to get a fan connectors for the other two), but I had to do it slightly differently.

1. power cycle the boards (two boards per PSU)
2. wait until they finish initialization (LEDs stop flashing)
3. unplug one board from usb hub
4. start hotdrying the power module on board that is connected to USB hub
5. After 15 seconds of hotdrying, start bfgminer on to scan the port in step 4 and start hashing
6. Keep hotdrying until die temp get to 65C
7. turn off hairdryer
8. when temps start to drop to 45, turn on hotdrying again to bring them up to 65C
9. another 1 minute or so, they should stay above 60C
10.  turn off the hairdryer
11. board should be stable around 60C and hash 30+GH/s

One thing I noticed, that each board is behaving differently in regards to temp rise.
I did not cool the boards at any time.  

For me, it seems that getting the boards to 60C and stabilize them there was the key.

Running one bfgminer instance per board is not best solution, but at least they are hashing.

The trick is to get them about 60c and stable.
If you get some gentle cooling on the back of the board, then the temp will rise again to around 68-70c and you will get another 3Gh

BTc donations welcome:-  13c2KuzWCaWFTXF171Zn1HrKhMYARPKv97
GenTarkin
Legendary

Activity: 2450
Merit: 1002

View Profile
February 04, 2014, 07:51:12 PM

Is the firmware open source yet? I would like to mess w/ voltages ...

GenTarkin's MOD Kncminer Titan custom firmware! v1.0.4! -- !!NO LONGER AVAILABLE!!
Donations: bitcoin- 1Px71mWNQNKW19xuARqrmnbcem1dXqJ3At || litecoin- LYXrLis3ik6TRn8tdvzAyJ264DRvwYVeEw
af_newbie
Legendary

Activity: 2688
Merit: 1468

View Profile WWW
February 04, 2014, 09:21:48 PM

Hairdryer worked for me (for 4 cards, need to get a fan connectors for the other two), but I had to do it slightly differently.

1. power cycle the boards (two boards per PSU)
2. wait until they finish initialization (LEDs stop flashing)
3. unplug one board from usb hub
4. start hotdrying the power module on board that is connected to USB hub
5. After 15 seconds of hotdrying, start bfgminer on to scan the port in step 4 and start hashing
6. Keep hotdrying until die temp get to 65C
7. turn off hairdryer
8. when temps start to drop to 45, turn on hotdrying again to bring them up to 65C
9. another 1 minute or so, they should stay above 60C
10.  turn off the hairdryer
11. board should be stable around 60C and hash 30+GH/s

One thing I noticed, that each board is behaving differently in regards to temp rise.
I did not cool the boards at any time.  

For me, it seems that getting the boards to 60C and stabilize them there was the key.

Running one bfgminer instance per board is not best solution, but at least they are hashing.

The trick is to get them about 60c and stable.
If you get some gentle cooling on the back of the board, then the temp will rise again to around 68-70c and you will get another 3Gh

You are right, I got all of them above 31 GH/s, some do 34 GH/s.  Thanks for your help.

I've noticed similar behavior with my mini rig, it does not like ambient temperature to fall below 15C.  Just won't start.

Here are some pics of my chilies.  I used 6x32 1 1/2" bolts from Home Depot, Arctic Cooling MX-4 paste, some old PCB for backplate material.
I just hope I will not have to restart it every day :-)

Mudbankkeith

View Profile
February 04, 2014, 09:39:39 PM

I've noticed similar behavior with my mini rig, it does not like ambient temperature to fall below 15C.  Just won't start.

Here are some pics of my chilies.  I used 6x32 1 1/2" bolts from Home Depot, Arctic Cooling MX-4 paste, some old PCB for backplate material.
I just hope I will not have to restart it every day :-)

Restarts are part of the gamble. Only time will tell.

I have a theory that the Chili was designed and prototype tested in an "American Air conditioned summer workshop"  Kiss
Now that they are out in the wild (of the rest of the world) There are some "exceptions to the standard" being found.
The next firmware release will probably bring things back on track.   Wink

If we are still hashing them in the coming summer then they will have had a good testing cycle.
The unfortunate reality is that they will be way out of date by then ( in 6 months they may be the "graphics cards" of the asics)
Such is the speed of development of mining hardware.  Roll Eyes

Smooth0ne

Activity: 80

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 02:40:02 AM

It's a corsair cx500.  I just cam home on my lunch break and was able to get it to turn on. I'm sure it will stay on for a couple hours but can go down at any thime. Then I will be unable to get the psu to turn on again for a long time. Thx again.

Check the voltages on the PSU while it's running. It's a group regulated design, so if you're pulling enough current on the 12V line without a load on the 5V line it's possible it's shutting off due to overvoltage on the 5V line.

Just out of curiosity. I have been running the single chili off a single pcie 6 pin coming from the PSU would that be a problem? I can try and find a dual 4 pin molex to 6 pin pcie adapter if needed. Anyone think this might be an issue? Still up and running since my last post. But i am sure by the time i wake up tomorrow it will be down. It has not stayed up more then 12-16 hours yet. I would ideally like to run both chilis off 1 500 wat supply if I can. Doesnt matter if its on the pcies themselves or if I need to get adapters. Please let me know. Thx!
The direct PCIe will be better than a dual 4 pin to PCIe, so use the one coming directly out of your power supply.

Thats what ive been doing. O well new PSU comes in today. Will test more when I get in from work.

So got both of them hooked up to  a 500 watt thermaltake and theyve been going fine for about an hour. I didnt realize this psu had 2 6+2 pins on one rail and then an 8 pin on other. After testing both chilis on the 1 rail with the 6 pins. I determined it was a bit to hot. So I chopped off the 8 pin and connected a 6 pin to it. So far so good! If it makes it thru the night I'll be a happy camper. Thx for the input guys!
GrapeApe

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 01:22:34 PM

I have a theory that the Chili was designed and prototype tested in an "American Air conditioned summer workshop"  Kiss
Now that they are out in the wild (of the rest of the world) There are some "exceptions to the standard" being found.

If we are still hashing them in the coming summer then they will have had a good testing cycle.
The unfortunate reality is that they will be way out of date by then ( in 6 months they may be the "graphics cards" of the asics)

Yeah this is the ultimate example of diminishing returns, with that said I'm very happy with my chilis they go days and days with out restarting including the Lucko boards(pleasantly surprised). And yes I do miss the 2 I sold you... Cry
Mudbankkeith

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 02:28:41 PM

Yeah this is the ultimate example of diminishing returns, with that said I'm very happy with my chilis they go days and days with out restarting including the Lucko boards(pleasantly surprised). And yes I do miss the 2 I sold you... Cry

The 2 MrTeal Chili boards are now in my remote cluster (12 boards) (the boards I can trust) managed by 2 rPi's, the cluster is split into 2 parts, for further safety.(hash rate is 417Gh at the pool)
As you say they are stable and reliable. My only concern is that with the rPi donations turned on, the pool switch does sometimes cause a crash.

At home I have the last 4 wobbly boards that need the supervision of my mini desktop pc.
Under windows they run most of the day and usually manage to restart themselves without intervention.
On the rPi if they crash then they stay down.
The hash rate for these 4 is 126Gh at the PC but only 87Gh at the pool, so they are restarting and crashing a lot.

Walking Glitch

Activity: 252

Amateur Professional

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 07:08:44 PM

I just got my chili, and have it hooked up and running, but it's only running at 27.5GHs, and the temp isn't going higher than 60C, when these chips are rated for 70C? I have another fan blowing on the vregs, which have heatsinks attached.
lightfoot
Legendary

Activity: 3108
Merit: 2239

I fix broken miners. And make holes in teeth :-)

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 07:21:47 PM

Your heat sink might not be on right or contacting everything. The code will slow the chips down which will really cut the temps.

C
Mudbankkeith

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 07:39:28 PM

I just got my chili, and have it hooked up and running, but it's only running at 27.5GHs, and the temp isn't going higher than 60C, when these chips are rated for 70C? I have another fan blowing on the vregs, which have heatsinks attached.

Try re-seating your cooler, it can help.

Cascaders28

Activity: 195
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 09:18:53 PM

Are you using a backplate? I've found that having something on the back of the board for the sake of stiffness ensures that the board doesn't flex so chips can't pull away from the heatsink. At that speed it sounds like a cooler contact issue to me too. My water cooled Chili ran around 33GHs @ 61C but when I added a fan over the VRMs it went to 38GHs @ 69C.
InCoinsITrust

Activity: 112

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 09:55:16 PM

does it necessary to send my BFl chips, or it is possible to buy those too ?
af_newbie
Legendary

Activity: 2688
Merit: 1468

View Profile WWW
February 12, 2014, 11:07:09 PM

For the second board, it does sound like it might have the same issues that many boards from that group buy are experiencing. We're working on firmware as a workaround for some of those issues, and hope to have it out soon.

Are you guys still working on firmware workaround around this "temp reading error"?

Hairdryer trick works but when they do go down, to restart it i have to use hairdryer.  Now, i figured I only need to heat them to 45-48 C (as reported by bfgminer) and let them go.  The boards continue from that point on by themselves.  Just the initial start up from ~20C to 40C is problematic.  Once around 45C they manage ok.

Walking Glitch

Activity: 252

Amateur Professional

View Profile
February 13, 2014, 05:48:39 AM

Your heat sink might not be on right or contacting everything. The code will slow the chips down which will really cut the temps.

C

I will try this. At first it seemed to be the vregs limiting it, as it throttled after the chips hit 65C at 32GHs, but I wonder if one or two of the chips aren't making good contact because of the flexing from shipping.
ZBC3

Activity: 361

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 08:31:41 PM

A big thank you to Mr. Teal for fixing my board. Not only am I happy with my boards, but I am especially pleased with the fantastic customer service!
lin0sspice
Legendary

Activity: 1190

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 12:33:51 AM

My only run at 15-16GH ?
i just replace the thermal paste.
Any suggestion to fix ?

Website
Whitepaper
Discord
░░░█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██░░
███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███
████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░████
███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███
███░░░░░░░░░░▄██▄░░░░░░░░░░███
███░░░░░░░░▄██████▄░░░░░░░░███
███▄░░░░░░▄████████▄░░░░░░▄███
████░░░░░▄██████████▄░░░░░████
████░░░░▄████████████▄░░░░████
░██████░░▀██████████▀░░███████
░███████░░░▀██████▀░░░████████
░████████▄░░░▀██▀░░░▄████████
░█████████▄░░░░░░░░▄███████░░░
░░█████████▄░░░░░░▄███████░░░░
░░░░██████████▄▄████████░░░░░░
░░░░░░████████████████░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░██████████████░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░██████████░░░░░░░░░░░
VELOX PROJECT
The Future of Anonymous Trading
Latest News
Twitter
Telegram
[/tab
MrTeal (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 12:57:00 AM

My only run at 15-16GH ?
i just replace the thermal paste.
Any suggestion to fix ?

Did it just start working at 15-16 after you replaced the thermal paste?
What temperature does it read at that speed?
lin0sspice
Legendary

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 03:08:30 AM

Right now is about 70.
Is is about 65-70
But when i use the firmware flash to check it show 29-30gh
then i do the power cycle.
Then i power it up a gain only run 15-16gh since 3 days now Sad

Website
Whitepaper
Discord
VELOX PROJECT
Latest News
Twitter
Telegram
[/tab
lin0sspice
Legendary

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 06:31:43 PM

@Mr Teal ?
Any help ?

Website
Whitepaper
Discord
VELOX PROJECT
Latest News
Twitter
Telegram
[/tab
Pages: « 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 [63] 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 »
  Print  

Jump to: