Bitcoin Forum
May 30, 2024, 12:36:18 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 ... 74 »
  Print  
Author Topic: The Chili – 30+GH/s BFL based Bitcoin Miner Assembly  (Read 137675 times)
Spieder

Activity: 66
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 13, 2013, 03:15:18 AM

Anyone know how many chips were processed in batch 1. I'm wondering if this next batch will be higher volume.
MrTeal (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
October 13, 2013, 04:54:27 AM

I'm perplexed as to what I can mount the PCI-e cards on... most PCI-e racks are angled and probably not stable when you add a fan, and I can't find a backplane with dummy slots that I can just buy one of.
I'm not sure what you mean by angled, but the idea for using PCIe was that someone who was going for high density could mount them in a 19" rack chassis for use in a datacenter. For someone that just has a few, you could just mount them on a simple system like the open air racks we used to use in the GPU days, or even forgo PCIe mounting altogether and just mount them flat on standoffs.
MrTeal (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 13, 2013, 05:34:06 AM

A quick update. As was mentioned before, we are going to be into next week for shipping. It's absolutely not what we wanted obviously, but the way it lined up meant that a slip of a couple days pushes things from shipping at the end of one week to several real days later on the other side of the weekend.

I really do apologize for this, while getting shipping out by Friday was always the best estimate I really wanted to get it done so it's pretty disappointing that we're not there yet. I was looking forward to relaxing on Thanksgiving and eating turkey instead of dealing with getting shipping labels created and sent off.

Also, for everyone that is anxious for information on batch two, we're still working on that and need to wait until we get a better understanding of the numbers involved and can get a date from the assembly house before we order additional PCBs. It's a bit of a chicken and egg situation in that if we need to get interest before we can order PCBs since if we order too many it could kill any margin we make on this project, but if we don't get ahead and order them early they become very costly. I'm trying to get to everyone's PM in a reasonable amount of time, but some slip a little bit especially for the batch 2 stuff as we're very focused on getting our existing paid customers their product as soon as possible rather than worrying about preselling a bunch more product. That will come in time, and I'll get back to you all as soon as possible. Thanks for your patience.
oldbushie

Activity: 94

View Profile
October 13, 2013, 09:50:29 AM
Last edit: October 13, 2013, 10:50:24 AM by oldbushie

I'm perplexed as to what I can mount the PCI-e cards on... most PCI-e racks are angled and probably not stable when you add a fan, and I can't find a backplane with dummy slots that I can just buy one of.
I'm not sure what you mean by angled, but the idea for using PCIe was that someone who was going for high density could mount them in a 19" rack chassis for use in a datacenter. For someone that just has a few, you could just mount them on a simple system like the open air racks we used to use in the GPU days, or even forgo PCIe mounting altogether and just mount them flat on standoffs.
By rack I meant the plastic thingies used for assembly. I wouldn't mind mounting them flat on standoffs, but what would I screw the standoffs into? I can't exactly use a block of wood with the kind of threading used in standoffs. Or would I just then screw the standoffs into spacers and then set the boards on the floor like that?

Edit: Also, are fan power connectors built into these boards? Or will I need to connect them directly to the ATX power supply somehow?

mmmerlin

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 13, 2013, 10:45:59 AM

A quick update. As was mentioned before, we are going to be into next week for shipping. It's absolutely not what we wanted obviously, but the way it lined up meant that a slip of a couple days pushes things from shipping at the end of one week to several real days later on the other side of the weekend.

I really do apologize for this, while getting shipping out by Friday was always the best estimate I really wanted to get it done so it's pretty disappointing that we're not there yet. I was looking forward to relaxing on Thanksgiving and eating turkey instead of dealing with getting shipping labels created and sent off.

Also, for everyone that is anxious for information on batch two, we're still working on that and need to wait until we get a better understanding of the numbers involved and can get a date from the assembly house before we order additional PCBs. It's a bit of a chicken and egg situation in that if we need to get interest before we can order PCBs since if we order too many it could kill any margin we make on this project, but if we don't get ahead and order them early they become very costly. I'm trying to get to everyone's PM in a reasonable amount of time, but some slip a little bit especially for the batch 2 stuff as we're very focused on getting our existing paid customers their product as soon as possible rather than worrying about preselling a bunch more product. That will come in time, and I'll get back to you all as soon as possible. Thanks for your patience.

This is madness - both of these things are in direct conflict with the BFL model!

You are supposed to be angry at the customers when you're late with shipping, be a lot later than you are, and refuse to give any reasons or apologise at all. And you're definitely not supposed to focus on the current customers, all your focus now should be on both drumming up more orders and secretly designing a second board - if you can use the preorder money that you didn't take from the first batch to fund that then that would be even better.

Honestly, can you sort it out though please - what kind of highly professional and courteous operation is this? You're gonna freak my BFL chips out, they weren't raised to be treated like this!
oldbushie

Activity: 94

View Profile
October 13, 2013, 05:15:05 PM

Another question: What are the USB connections on the board? Regular USB? Micro? Mini? I have a ton of spare cables but I want to see if I have the right ones handy.

mmmerlin

View Profile
October 13, 2013, 05:31:40 PM

Another question: What are the USB connections on the board? Regular USB? Micro? Mini? I have a ton of spare cables but I want to see if I have the right ones handy.

Asked and answered - it's Micro USB.

(not having a go, just emphasising that this is direct from MrTeal and not speculation.)
ChipGeek

Activity: 198
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 13, 2013, 06:05:19 PM

(not having a go, just emphasising that this is direct from MrTeal and not speculation.)
Close.

For the record:  It's MINI-USB - exactly the same as the BFL cables.

Tip jar: 1ChipGeeK7PDxaAWG4VgsTi31SfJ6peKHw
ChipGeek

Activity: 198
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 13, 2013, 06:07:32 PM

This is madness - both of these things are in direct conflict with the BFL model!

You are supposed to be angry at the customers when you're late with shipping, be a lot later than you are, and refuse to give any reasons or apologise at all. And you're definitely not supposed to focus on the current customers, all your focus now should be on both drumming up more orders and secretly designing a second board - if you can use the preorder money that you didn't take from the first batch to fund that then that would be even better.

Honestly, can you sort it out though please - what kind of highly professional and courteous operation is this? You're gonna freak my BFL chips out, they weren't raised to be treated like this!
Grin  Thanks for this.  I needed a good laugh after way too many nights of not enough sleep. 

(Insert angry rant here at mmmerlin for good measure.)

Tip jar: 1ChipGeeK7PDxaAWG4VgsTi31SfJ6peKHw
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 13, 2013, 07:28:53 PM

Very interested to see where project goes.  Wanted to thank MrTeal and team for doing such a solid job. 

TH had scared me from getting anything but ASICminer.  But your professionalism to work on a solid plan to get product parts, assembly, all the way to customers is refreshing to see.  I'm definitely going to be running some numbers after batch 2 info is announced.  You successfully did more then TH before even announcing your product to public, again thanks for keeping being a professional alive.
mmmerlin

View Profile
October 13, 2013, 08:01:48 PM

Close.

For the record:  It's MINI-USB - exactly the same as the BFL cables.

FML - you are of course quite right, that is what is was what was confirmed, and I was so careful too. I am so sleep deprived at the moment, apologies to anyone who accidentally listened to me...  Cry
boost75

Activity: 35
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
October 13, 2013, 08:04:19 PM

I was looking forward to relaxing on Thanksgiving and eating turkey instead of dealing with getting shipping labels created and sent off.

That's still a month away, I'm hoping these ship a lot sooner than that....
mmmerlin

View Profile
October 13, 2013, 08:04:48 PM

Very interested to see where project goes.  Wanted to thank MrTeal and team for doing such a solid job. 

TH had scared me from getting anything but ASICminer.  But your professionalism to work on a solid plan to get product parts, assembly, all the way to customers is refreshing to see.  I'm definitely going to be running some numbers after batch 2 info is announced.  You successfully did more then TH before even announcing your product to public, again thanks for keeping being a professional alive.

I know, right?! It it's almost like there is no excuse for how badly BFL screwed up...  Tongue
Bargraphics

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do.

View Profile
October 13, 2013, 08:21:41 PM

I was looking forward to relaxing on Thanksgiving and eating turkey instead of dealing with getting shipping labels created and sent off.

Canadian Thanksgiving silly!
Mon Oct 14 2013   Thanksgiving Day
http://www.timeanddate.com/holidays/canada/thanksgiving-day
boost75

Activity: 35
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
October 13, 2013, 08:55:56 PM

Canadian Thanksgiving silly!
Mon Oct 14 2013   Thanksgiving Day
http://www.timeanddate.com/holidays/canada/thanksgiving-day

Phew. Guess I've been an abused BFL customer for too long...
sebdude420

Activity: 397
Merit: 350

View Profile WWW
October 14, 2013, 01:35:41 AM

MrTeal just go enjoy thanks giving man. You deserve it!

OG Bitcoin Miner turned Proof of Stake Validator.
Maxed out Raspberry Pi 4 8GB at 120$ a Day Revenue with ~15K XTZ Bonds in Summer of 2021.
Looking at Proof of Stake systems all across the crypto ecosystem to expand operations.
nwfella
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1000

Well hello there!

View Profile
October 14, 2013, 04:29:25 AM

MrTeal, what the heck man!! Not use to all this customer kindness BS so knock it off!! I agree you guys have done an amazing job thus far with this project.

¯¯̿̿¯̿̿'̿̿̿̿̿̿̿'̿̿'̿̿̿̿̿'̿̿̿)͇̿̿)̿̿̿̿ '̿̿̿̿̿̿\̵͇̿̿\=(•̪̀●́)=o/̵͇̿̿/'̿̿ ̿ ̿̿

Gimme the crypto!!
MrTeal (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 14, 2013, 05:47:06 PM

Well, things are going good today. The word from assembly is that SMT will be finished today, and testing is underway now.

Bargraphics

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do.

View Profile
October 14, 2013, 05:48:34 PM

Well, things are going good today. The word from assembly is that SMT will be finished today, and testing is underway now.

I hope you are stuffing your face with Turkey while those are being tested. Enjoy the Holiday you deserve it!
jelin1984
Legendary

Activity: 2408

View Profile
October 14, 2013, 05:48:45 PM

What cooler fan you had put at board?
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 ... 74 »
  Print  

Jump to: