Bitcoin Forum
June 27, 2024, 01:09:35 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Study: Everyone hates environmentalists and feminists  (Read 80410 times)
Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
May 23, 2014, 01:24:31 PM

It's becoming faddish again to mentally bra-burn. ....

"I take a lot of pride in calling myself a feminist and always have," she wrote the newspaper in an email. "We're going to have to insist on correcting bigotry as it happens, in real time. And fear of women's equality, or the diminishment of it, is a kind of bigotry. I think it's important to remove the stigma associated with women's equality, and as such, yes, normalizing the word 'feminist' and making sure people know what it means is incredibly important, whether we're talking to celebrities or anyone."

It could be interesting if they went back to bra burning.....
But when they start talking, so dull...
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 1217

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 07:15:24 AM

lol... look at Germany and Japan. Classic!

bryant.coleman
Legendary

View Profile
May 26, 2014, 01:38:10 AM

The Swedish aulta-feminist paty, Feministiskt initiativ has won a seat in the European Parliament.

Exit Polls: Sweden Feminist Party Goes to Brussels

http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/exit-polls-sweden-feminist-party-brussels-23864148
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
May 26, 2014, 03:22:14 PM

The Swedish aulta-feminist paty, Feministiskt initiativ has won a seat in the European Parliament.

Exit Polls: Sweden Feminist Party Goes to Brussels

http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/exit-polls-sweden-feminist-party-brussels-23864148

bryant.coleman
Legendary

View Profile
May 26, 2014, 03:25:40 PM

Swedish feminist party wins EU seat with anti-racism drive

http://www.vagazette.com/news/sns-rt-us-europe-election-sweden-20140526,0,2557142.story

Obviously, the Feministiskt initiativ received some support from the male voters.  Grin

http://www.thelocal.se/20140520/will-you-vote-in-the-eu-election-eu-expats-in-sweden-sound-off

Cathal O'Hare, Ireland: "I voted in Sweden. My Swedish girlfriend contacted the election authorities and they sent out some forms which asked where I had been registered to vote previously - the electoral area in Ireland. They then sent out a voting card and I voted in the local library. My girlfriend was very keen for me to vote for Feminist Initiative so I told her that if she organized everything I would do it. I don't usually vote when I'm in Ireland but Swedes seem to be more engaged in politics than people from the British Isles. Feminist Initiative are the flavour of the month among lefties and hipsters at the minute I think - their leader is apparently quite charismatic and they have been backed by some high profile celebrities."

And the top rated comment from the article:

I'm not surprised a girl who likes to tell her boyfriend what to vote campaigns for the feminist initiative. Then again, I'm not suprised she's with a guy like you and that you're with a feminists. What a terrible wuss you are.

Grin
Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
May 26, 2014, 11:27:50 PM

I'm not surprised a girl who likes to tell her boyfriend what to vote campaigns for the feminist initiative. Then again, I'm not suprised she's with a guy like you and that you're with a feminists. What a terrible wuss you are.

Grin
I dunno.  He could be actually a very shrewd and tough negotiator.

Why couldn't the subject be the buying of votes?

LOL...
bryant.coleman
Legendary

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 02:13:44 AM

Why couldn't the subject be the buying of votes?

But this guy didn't got anything in return for voting for the feminist party. No money, no Bitcoins, nothing else of any value. So the claim of vote buying may not count.  Grin
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 11:11:00 PM

Carson’s proselytizing and advocacy raised substantial anxiety about DDT and led to bans in most of the world and to restrictions on other chemical pesticides.  But the fears she raised were based on gross misrepresentations and scholarship so atrocious that, if Carson were an academic, she would be guilty of egregious academic misconduct.  Her observations about DDT have been condemned by many scientists.  In the words of Professor Robert H. White-Stevens, an agriculturist and biology professor at Rutgers University, “If man were to follow the teachings of Miss Carson, we would return to the Dark Ages, and the insects and diseases and vermin would once again inherit the earth.” [...]

Carson’s disingenuous proselytizing spurred public pressure to ban DDT in many countries, with disastrous consequences: a lack of effective control of mosquitoes that carry malaria and other diseases. Malaria imposes huge costs on individuals, families and governments. It inflicts a crushing economic burden on malaria-endemic countries and impedes their economic growth. A study by the Harvard University Center for International Development estimated that a high incidence of malaria reduces economic growth by 1.3 percentage points each year. Compounded over the four decades since the first bans of DDT, that lost growth has made some of the world’s poorest countries an astonishing 40 percent poorer than had there been more effective mosquito control.

It is bad enough that the case against DDT was based on anecdote and innuendo, but Carson and Dunn and the regulators who banned DDT failed to consider the inadequacy of alternatives. Because it persists after spraying, DDT works far better than many pesticides now in use, many of which are just as toxic to birds, mammals, fish and other aquatic organisms. And with DDT unavailable, many mosquito-control authorities are depleting their budgets by repeated spraying with expensive, short-acting and marginally effective insecticides. [...]

The legacy of Rachel Carson is that tens of millions of human lives – mostly children in poor, tropical countries – have been traded for the possibility of slightly improved fertility in raptors.  This remains one of the monumental human tragedies of the last century.  It is shocking that Dunn, an assistant professor of biology, remains ignorant of Carson’s shortcomings, and deplorable that university students are exposed to a scientist who manifests such ignorance and failure to respect the norms of science.  Likewise, Nature’s decision to publish Dunn’s commentary reflects either an antiscientific bias or a failure of peer-review.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/henrymiller/2012/09/05/rachel-carsons-deadly-fantasies/

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The only mistake would be to believe those people care more about humans than mosquitoes 

Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
May 28, 2014, 12:38:10 AM

The legacy of Rachel Carson is that tens of millions of human lives – mostly children in poor, tropical countries – have been traded for the possibility of slightly improved fertility in raptors.  This remains one of the monumental human tragedies of the last century.  It is shocking that Dunn, an assistant professor of biology, remains ignorant of Carson’s shortcomings, and deplorable that university students are exposed to a scientist who manifests such ignorance and failure to respect the norms of science.  Likewise, Nature’s decision to publish Dunn’s commentary reflects either an antiscientific bias or a failure of peer-review.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The only mistake would be to believe those people care more about humans than mosquitoes  

I would beg to differ with your article's negative take on Rachael Carson.

The problem is not that she was utterly, flagrantly wronger than wrong.  It is that norms of behavior in society, including the political parties and the legal/administrative institutions, could not and would not act at any pace - whether swiftly or leisurely - to correct the errors in science and judgement regardless of the negative consequences of leaving the status quo.

As we experience a quickening of the rate of scientific progress, it is important to recognize these failings.
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
May 28, 2014, 12:57:21 AM

The legacy of Rachel Carson is that tens of millions of human lives – mostly children in poor, tropical countries – have been traded for the possibility of slightly improved fertility in raptors.  This remains one of the monumental human tragedies of the last century.  It is shocking that Dunn, an assistant professor of biology, remains ignorant of Carson’s shortcomings, and deplorable that university students are exposed to a scientist who manifests such ignorance and failure to respect the norms of science.  Likewise, Nature’s decision to publish Dunn’s commentary reflects either an antiscientific bias or a failure of peer-review.

The problem is not that she was utterly, flagrantly wronger than wrong.  It is that norms of behavior in society, including the political parties and the legal/administrative institutions, could not and would not act at any pace - whether swiftly or leisurely - to correct the errors in science and judgement regardless of the negative consequences of leaving the status quo.

As we experience a quickening of the rate of scientific progress, it is important to recognize these failings.

As of now in 2014, do we know if DDT would bring more harm than good, based on the latest research?

Right now Brazil is introducing a genetically modified mosquito into the wild. Is that solution better than using DDT?

Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722

View Profile
May 28, 2014, 03:17:05 AM

As of now in 2014, do we know if DDT would bring more harm than good, based on the latest research?

Right now Brazil is introducing a genetically modified mosquito into the wild. Is that solution better than using DDT?

i mean if it gives cancer or something to the birds that eat it i dont think that bird would give cancer to the cat that eats the bird. that is to say, its hard to see the negative effect traveling all the way up the food chain to us.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
bryant.coleman
Legendary

View Profile
May 28, 2014, 12:21:24 PM

It will be interesting to note your response, once these genetically modified mosquitos undergo some mutation, and transforms themselves in to some giant creatures capable of killing humans and other large animals.  Grin
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
May 28, 2014, 02:32:48 PM

It will be interesting to note your response, once these genetically modified mosquitos undergo some mutation, and transforms themselves in to some giant creatures capable of killing humans and other large animals.  Grin

bryant.coleman
Legendary

View Profile
May 28, 2014, 06:35:48 PM

Well... Sweden is not Europe....

Why the hell has Europe voted in a feminist party?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/womens-politics/10857720/Forget-Ukip-why-the-hell-has-Europe-voted-in-a-feminist-party.html
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 03:45:00 AM
Last edit: May 29, 2014, 04:09:27 AM by Wilikon

Radical Feminist: Abolish the White Race. Abolish Men.

edit: http://youtu.be/br9ATZubcVE

“Radical feminists are critical of gender itself. We are not gender reformists – we are gender abolitionists. Without the socially constructed gender roles that form the basis of patriarchy, all people would be free to dress, behave and love others in whatever way they wished, no matter what kind of body they had…

Liberty and a living planet will only be won when masculinity, its religion, its economics, it’s psychology and it’s sex is resisted and finally defeated.”

http://www.lierrekeith.com/

bryant.coleman
Legendary

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 04:01:25 AM

I don't know what abolishing white race has to do with promoting gender equality. As far as I can see, gender equality is most visible in countries where the whites are in the majority. Very few of the non-white nations have female-friendly laws.
Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 07:36:42 AM

I don't know what abolishing white race has to do with promoting gender equality. As far as I can see, gender equality is most visible in countries where the whites are in the majority. Very few of the non-white nations have female-friendly laws.

She look mighty whitey
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
May 30, 2014, 03:13:07 PM

She look mighty whitey

Exactly, but don't put her in her own equation...
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
May 31, 2014, 07:12:26 PM

Study: Everyone hates hired fake environmentalists too...

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2014-05-30/faux-activism-recruiting-anti-chevron-protesters-for-85-a-head

Julieta Gilbert, executive producer of DFLA Films, said in the e-mail that the company “need to get a group of people to help us document this event. … We will pay each one of them $85. They will be there for a couple of hours (8am to 12 pm). We need ethically [sic] diverse people.”

She obviously meant “ethnically diverse,” but the typo seems illuminating in a Freudian sense. In case anyone missed her point, Gilbert listed the following: “Caucasian, Hispanic, African American and Asian.” Native Americans and Pacific Islanders apparently needn’t have applied for the job.

Television station NewsWest 9 reported the faux protest on its website, noting that viewers “took to our Facebook page this morning saying they received e-mails bribing them with $85 to join this protest.” When I called Gilbert in Los Angeles, she said she “didn’t organize” the protest but only “helped with it.” She professed confusion as to who exactly had commissioned the event and whose idea it was to pay $85 a person for “extras.” She didn’t dispute the authenticity of the recruiting e-mail and she said she’d been in Texas for the May 28 protest and had just returned to California.

I next contacted Karen Hinton, the public-relations person for Steven Donziger, the lead plaintiffs’ lawyer in the lawsuit against Chevron and the mastermind of a long-running media crusade against the oil company. Donziger won a $19 billion judgment against Chevron in Ecuador in 2011. In March, U.S. District Judge Lewis Kaplan in New York ruled that Donziger’s victory was based on fabricated evidence, bribery, and extortion—findings that Donziger has denied and appealed. Of the Midland protest, Hinton said via e-mail: “We were not involved at all. Call MCSquared. They handled.”

MCSquared, based in Brooklyn, N.Y., bills itself as “a public relations firm with a team of multi-cultured, multi-generational, highly skilled professionals with more than 20 years of experience in cultural adaptation processes, cross-border business, large-scale and private/intimate event planning.” According to Hinton, MCSquared works for the Republic of Ecuador. The Ecuadorian government has publicly allied itself with Donziger and his clients in attacking Chevron and seeking to get the company to pay up on the (fraudulent) Ecuadorian judgment.

Ecuador has been sponsoring protests around the world against Chevron—events promoted by MCSquared. In her Texas recruiting e-mail, Gilbert said, “We have done many of these events all across the U.S. and abroad.” She directed recipients to a Facebook page called “Chevroffnow.” The Facebook page features prominently an image of Michelle Obama manipulated so that it appears as if she is holding a sign that reads, “#AskChevron about environmental disaster.”

I called Jean-Paul Borja, the contact person identified on a press release MCSquared posted online about the protest at the Chevron shareholders’ meeting in Midland. Borja did not return my call. The press release noted that signs at the demonstration “read, ‘Chevron, you can run but you can’t hide,’ alluding to the company’s decision to hold the annual meeting in Midland, a remote city located in the oil-rich region of the Permian Basin, instead of its San Ramon, Calif., headquarters, allegedly to avoid protesters.”

Or, it turned out, fake protesters.

Chevron spokesman Morgan Crinklaw told me that Chevron was not “hiding” in Midland. Periodically, he said, the company holds its meeting outside of San Ramon. It chose Midland this year because of the city’s historical significance to the oil industry.

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2014-05-30/faux-activism-recruiting-anti-chevron-protesters-for-85-a-head

Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 01:40:52 AM

Researchers at the University of Illinois and Arizona State University examined six decades of hurricane death rates according to gender, spanning  1950 and 2012.  Of the 47 most damaging hurricanes, the female-named hurricanes produced an average of 45 deaths compared to 23 deaths in male-named storms, or almost double the number of fatalities.  (The study excluded Katrina and Audrey, outlier storms that would skew the model).

The difference in death rates between genders was even more pronounced when comparing strongly masculine names versus strongly feminine ones.

“[Our] model suggests that changing a severe hurricane’s name from Charley … to Eloise … could nearly triple its death toll,” the study says.

Sharon Shavitt, study co-author and professor of marketing at the University of Illinois, says the results imply an “implicit sexism”; that is, we make decisions about storms based on the gender of their name without even knowing it.
“When under the radar, that’s when it [the sexism] has the potential to influence our judgments,” Shavitt said.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capital-weather-gang/wp/2014/06/02/female-named-hurricanes-kill-more-than-male-because-people-dont-respect-them-study-finds/

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 »
  Print  

Jump to: