Bitcoin Forum
June 30, 2024, 10:19:30 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Study: Everyone hates environmentalists and feminists  (Read 80410 times)
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4606
Merit: 1276

View Profile
November 04, 2014, 05:44:59 AM

Looks like at least 250lbs on the hoof judging from the size of the tee.  I mean Indian women themselves are not usually tiny, but looks like all three of them could fit into that thing.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
November 04, 2014, 04:16:03 PM

Looks like at least 250lbs on the hoof judging from the size of the tee.  I mean Indian women themselves are not usually tiny, but looks like all three of them could fit into that thing.

Perspective distortion (photography)

In photography and cinematography, perspective distortion is a warping or transformation of an object and its surrounding area that differs significantly from what the object would look like with a normal focal length, due to the relative scale of nearby and distant features. Perspective distortion is determined by the relative distances at which the image is captured and viewed, and is due to the angle of view of the image (as captured) being either wider or narrower than the angle of view at which the image is viewed, hence the apparent relative distances differing from what is expected. Related to this concept is axial magnification -- the perceived depth of objects at a given magnification.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perspective_distortion_(photography)

The photog was trying to tell 3 stories at the same time: the message on the tshirt, what the women looked like and were those women were working.
I would randomly guess, if he was using a "typical" pro zoom lens on a pro body (as in full frame nikon or canon camera) it would most likely be a 24-70mm f/2.8 to cover 90% of this type of reporting along various settings, etc.

Edit: you can do this type of image with an iphone/samsung phone too as they both use a semi wide angle lens.

Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
November 10, 2014, 03:17:06 PM

A feminist professor claims that America should stop putting all women in jail. For anything.

Patricia O’Brien, an assistant professor at the University of Illinois’s Jane Addam’s College of Social Work, contends that the majority of women in prison are merely non-violent, poorly educated, unemployed, and abused, according to her op-ed in The Washington Post.

“What purpose is served by subjecting the most disempowered, abused and nonviolent women to the perpetually negative environment of prisons?” asks O’Brien.

The professor argues that women are more likely than men to have children “who rely on them for support,” and that imprisonment does more harm to the individual than good for society.

“The United States is a prison nation,” wrote O’Brien. “The federal government also spends tens of billions to police, prosecute and imprison people, though research demonstrates that incarceration harms individual well-being and does not improve public safety.”

O’Brien says that instead of focusing our efforts on making prison “work” for women, the country should adhere to the British tactic of community sentences or house violent offenders in small custodial centers near their families.

“There is evidence that these approaches can work in the United States,” writes O’Brien. “Opportunities to test alternatives to prison are increasing across the states, and some have demonstrated beneficial results for the women who participated.”

Acknowledging potential critics, O’Brien reminds readers of the importance in taking such steps with a feminist perspective.

“If we think of abolition as a citizens’ effort and believe that women should be allowed to jump the queue for transport along the path of recovery and healing, there are steps that must be taken from a feminist perspective,” writes O’Brien.

“The systemic production of mass incarceration cannot be solved simply by assisting troubled and troubling individual women... Put simply, we need to stop seeing prisons as an inevitable part of life,” she explains.

The professor calls for impeding efforts to isolate women from their communities and says that these women can find their way forward if society fosters respect and support for them.

“The case for closing women’s prisons is built on the experiences of formerly incarcerated women and activists who recognize that women who are mothers and community builders can find their way forward when they respected and supported,” writes O’Brien. “It is possible to imagine a future without women’s prisons; whether it’s achievable will require a bigger shift in thinking.”

O’Brien was unable to respond to Campus Reform’s request for comment, as an automated email response indicated the professor is currently on sabbatical in another state.

http://www.campusreform.org/?ID=6045

awesome31312

Activity: 826
Merit: 504

View Profile
November 12, 2014, 06:33:14 AM

I think it's humane to lock up ANY human in a cage at all. Norway doesn't have prisons, they have correctional facilities.

Account recovered 08-12-2019
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
November 13, 2014, 12:29:04 AM

I think it's humane to lock up ANY human in a cage at all. Norway doesn't have prisons, they have correctional facilities.

Yes... We know...

http://www.rediff.com/news/slide-show/slide-show-1-inside-norway-luxurious-halden-jail/20110729.htm#12

awesome31312

View Profile
November 14, 2014, 08:59:39 AM

Their police vehicles look sooo comfortable

Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
November 14, 2014, 06:10:49 PM

Feminists Want To Stop Shaving In The Name Of “Gender Equality”…

Women at George Washington University (GW) should stop shaving during the month of November in the name of gender equality one student said last week.

In a column in The Hatchet, Jonah Lewis urged GW women to start a new movement that would parallel Movember by ceasing to shave in order to raise money for women’s health issues. The student argued that the women’s campaign could “one day rival what men raise during Movember.”

“If women at GW decided not to shave for the entirety of this month to raise money for women’s health issues and promote body positivity, the initiative could grow into a movement matching Movember,” Lewis wrote. “It would open up conversations about how our culture expects women to treat their bodies and their body hair.”

“For women, growing out hair is an unexpected and daring risk. That makes not shaving an exercise in body positivity and self love for most women,” Lewis continued

[...]
For decades many feminists have argued that the pressure for women to remove body hair is a consequence of patriarchal dominance.

“Body hair, weight, Barbie, domestic violence, violence against women, male gaze, street harassment, to me it all feels connected,” a New York feminist said in February, according to Salon.

“To me, hair removal is a kind of violence against women. Just one that we’re tricked into doing and paying for ourselves,” she continued.

http://www.campusreform.org/?ID=6064

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I believe this to be a great idea but should not be constrained to just one month. Everyone needs to have an easy visual clue to how to pinpoint a third wave feminist anytime, yearlong. This could be a good start...

awesome31312

View Profile
November 14, 2014, 06:15:02 PM

This is old news

Some educational institution was offering students extra credit for not shaving their armpits, except that the credit was offered to women only.

Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
November 15, 2014, 03:56:43 AM

This is old news

Some educational institution was offering students extra credit for not shaving their armpits, except that the credit was offered to women only.

Male discrimination. Hair is hair.

awesome31312

View Profile
November 15, 2014, 07:23:13 PM

This is old news

Actually, it's discrimination against males

Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
November 15, 2014, 07:47:56 PM

This is old news

Actually, it's discrimination against males

Yes it is. But it is good males were discriminated against. For one it is showing the true ugly face of that movement. Also It will force males supporting that third wave feminism to abort themselves, as a concept, and move on to other more meaningful battles.

Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
November 15, 2014, 07:57:22 PM

5 Reasons “feminists” can’t complain about comet scientist’s “sexist” shirt

http://legalinsurrection.com/2014/11/5-reasons-feminists-cant-complain-about-comet-scientists-shirt/

------------------------------------------------------------
Maybe one of the scientist was a hardcore feminist and let the battery of Philae die in purpose to punish men wearing too sexy shirts...? Cheesy Grin Cheesy

Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
November 16, 2014, 05:09:06 PM

1 small shirt for a man, 1 giant leap backward for women

Better not to land a spaceship on a comet than let men wear sexist clothing.

So how are things going for feminism? Well, last week, some feminists took one of the great achievements of human history — landing a probe from Earth on a comet hundreds of millions of miles away — and made it all about the clothes.

Yes, that's right. After years of effort, the European Space Agency's lander Philaelanded on a comet 300 million miles away. At first, people were excited. Then some women noticed that one of the space scientists, Matt Taylor, was wearing a shirt, made for him by a female "close pal," featuring comic-book depictions of semi-naked women. And suddenly, the triumph of the comet landing was drowned out by shouts of feminist outrage about ... what people were wearing. It was one small shirt for a man, one giant leap backward for womankind.

The Atlantic's Rose Eveleth tweeted, "No no women are toooootally welcome in our community, just ask the dude in this shirt." Astrophysicist Katie Mack commented: "I don't care what scientists wear. But a shirt featuring women in lingerie isn't appropriate for a broadcast if you care about women in STEM." And from there, the online feminist lynch mob took off until Taylor was forced to deliver a tearful apology on camera.

It seems to me that if you care about women in STEM, maybe you shouldn't want to communicate the notion that they're so delicate that they can't handle pictures of comic-book women. Will we stock our Mars spacecraft with fainting couches?

Not everyone was so censorious. As one female space professional wrote: "Don't these women and their male cohorts understand that *they* are doing the damage to what/whom they claim to defend!?"

No, they don't. Or, if they do, their reservations are overcome by the desire to feel important and powerful at others' expense. Thus, what should have been the greatest day in a man's life — accomplishing something never before done in the history of humanity — was instead derailed by people with their own axes to grind. As Chloe Price observed: "Imagine the ... storm if the scientist had been a woman and everyone focused solely on her clothes and not her achievements."

Yes, feminists have been telling us for years that women can wear whatever they want, and for men to comment in any way is sexism. But that's obviously a double standard, since they evidently feel no compunction whatsoever in criticizing what men wear. News flash: Geeks don't dress like Don Draper.

Meanwhile, Time magazine last week ran an online poll of words that should be retired from the English language. The winner — by an enormous margin — was "feminist." That's fitting. With this sort of behavior in mind, it's no surprise that so many people feel that feminism has passed its sell-by date.

Only 23% of American women and only 20% of Americans overall identify as feminists, even though most are in favor of gender equality. Feminists, who like to say that feminism isgender equality, are unhappy with this, but I think the poll captures a truth. Whatever feminists say, their true priorities are revealed in what they do, and what they do is, mostly, man-bashing and special pleading.

When you act like what pioneer feminist Betty Friedan once called "female chauvinist boors," you shouldn't be surprised to lose popularity.

"Mean girls" online mobbing may be fun for some, but it's not likely to appeal for long. If self-proclaimed feminists have nothing more to offer than that sort of bullying, then their obsolescence is well deserved.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2014/11/15/shirt-comet-girls-feminism-column/19083607/

Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
November 16, 2014, 05:39:14 PM

http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-London/2014/11/15/Brilliant-anti-feminist-spoof-claims-space-scientist-s-shirt-is-sexist

tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4606
Merit: 1276

View Profile
November 16, 2014, 06:30:34 PM

Wait until society figures out why women are now, as of fairly recently, smarter than men.  'Social justice' is a bitch (so to speak.)

Being a hard-core atheist I've never been much of a bible-thumper, but if my hypothesis (which I'll keep to myself for now) pans out I'll have to wonder if whoever wrote those Old Testimate warnings might have been on to something.

edit: slight

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
November 16, 2014, 07:47:33 PM

Wait until society figures out why women are now, as of fairly recently, smarter than men.  'Social justice' is a bitch (so to speak.)

Being a hard-core atheist I've never been much of a bible-thumper, but if my hypothesis (which I'll keep to myself for now) pans out I'll have to wonder if whoever wrote those Old Testimate warnings might have been on to something.

edit: slight

You do not have to be a believer to read the Bible. For some the Bible could be a handbook of how mankind works, some parts of it could be a sociology study on human societies constructed like a fractal image: no matter the point in time humans have been behaving and will be behaving the same over and over unless... THEN the Bible brings its solution, that you can believe or not.

Even if you include all the technologies that have been developed in the past 2000 years human behaviors have been the same, and everything, from the most selfish, from the most evil to the most noble, to the most kind, has been done, over and over by somebody somewhere.

awesome31312

View Profile
November 16, 2014, 08:01:38 PM

I thought feminism was about civil liberties for women, NOT female dominance

Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
November 16, 2014, 08:04:18 PM

It was, but it has been hijacked by matriarchs, I refuse to call women like these feminists because they're an insult to actual feminists who care about equal rights.
awesome31312

View Profile
November 16, 2014, 08:30:30 PM

It was, but it has been hijacked by matriarchs, I refuse to call women like these feminists because they're an insult to actual feminists who care about equal rights.

It's all about changing the meanings of the words, newspeak

Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
November 16, 2014, 08:34:20 PM

It was and was a great thing until...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third-wave_feminism

Now everything is game for an attack from them, even that shirt made by a female designer (very talented woman I must say, that shirt is pretty cool).

It is not about equality anymore.

This is the twitter account of the friend who made that shirt for him as a birthday present... That is her on that picture.

This is her blog and her thoughts about that controversy.

http://ellyprizemanupdate.blogspot.com/2014/11/decisions-and-comments.html

That new feminism wave should use their brain before judging people as talented as Elly Prizeman

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 »
  Print  

Jump to: