Bitcoin Forum
June 24, 2024, 06:16:13 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Mining , still worth it?  (Read 7270 times)
Tszunami98

Activity: 812
Merit: 124

View Profile
March 13, 2018, 10:35:46 AM

I am living in a country where electricity costs 0.12 - 0.15 cents/kw and i stil make a profit. Electricity cost is somewhere around 30% of what i mine.
We have to take into consideration that these are hard times and you can still make a pay but beware...you do not a lot of capital to be profitable.
Makurika

Activity: 33
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 13, 2018, 10:45:23 AM

I am living in a country where electricity costs 0.12 - 0.15 cents/kw and i stil make a profit. Electricity cost is somewhere around 30% of what i mine.
We have to take into consideration that these are hard times and you can still make a pay but beware...you do not a lot of capital to be profitable.

My electricity cost is higher than that. I am using old GPU, so I have to undervolt a lot to make it profitable.
Piskeante

Activity: 924
Merit: 15

View Profile
March 13, 2018, 11:26:17 AM

is it profitable? No!!
Why? Because of this points

1st - gpu prices have sky-rocketed. RoI is about 426 days for a 6 gpus rig. That's too much. That's considering current prices. If this low bear trend continues, it will be worst.

2nd - Most of the people are mining ETH, but we are close to 100 million coins, the point where vitalik said he would apply casper, enabling a difficulty bomb to make it impossible to get ETH coins, and also migrating from PoW to PoS. It's unknown who will win money with that, and how will the system work.

3rd - the more people enter the pools, the less money you get due to the increase in difficulty. ETH mining difficulty is about 3,2. in the past (october 2017) Vitalik applied Byzantium reducing profit from 5 to 3 ETH coins and also reducing block length.

4th - The cost of electricity. It depends on your country. Mine (spain) is about 0,148€ (taxes included, which most people don't usually consider). In dollars would be about 0,18$ so big bill for me. and you have to condier this aspects.

So NO!!! mining is not worth nearly at all right now.

BTC no more than 6k by end of 2019. ETH no more than 300$ by end 2019. Huge market manipulation, huge amount of scammers and hypers.
science451

Activity: 1

View Profile
March 13, 2018, 12:42:15 PM

Seems definately not profitable now, indeed. But in the crypto world, anything can happen.

I have my (optimistic) theory about this, especially in regards to GPU mining (but it may apply to ASICs too).

If you see the stock values of the two major hardware producers in the last year, they have literally skyrocketed - and we all know why: without miners, that wouldn't have been possible. These guys know that very well (despite their "official" love for gamers only). It's recent news that according to the latest Jon Peddie Research (JPR) Report, "mining demand will most likely go down (together wih profits), but GPUs prices will not go down in the future.". Now I wonder, how can that be possible? If miners don't buy, who are the buyers that will keep GPU prices so high? I have my doubts about gamers, with all due respect to them (i am a gamer too)... Are they doing it so they can delay the release of new hardware and profit more on the already outdated one? Or why would prices not go down if the demand lowers due to miners not purchasing?

And here comes my theory: these guys are making tons of money selling hardware, but they can't keep "the show" going on in a sustainable way, for obvious reasons. Due to the lack of regulations on crypto though, one could maliciously think that "someone" (with lots of money) could artificially pump crypto values up for a certain period of time (and then down), in order to drive the purchase of mining hardware up accordingly, when possible. If there's going to be a sudden increase in the value of crypto (as it happened in the past, particularly in 2017), people (who will improvise themselves miners due to the high value of of crypto thinking they can get a quick buck) will "invest" and buy hardware again, thus indirectly raising the stock values and revenues of hardware producers. Mining becomes profitable for a short time, then crypto value "goes down", novice miners sell, and then the whole process rinse and repeats. Who gains at the end? Long time miners and hardware producers. Leaving people who just approached this world to pay the bill.

So is mining still worth it? I think mining is only worth it during the "right" periods, and these cycles repeat in time. If the above would be true, only crypto regulations could change the rules of the game... but until then...
RYXES

Activity: 140
Merit: 10

Merit me or don't.

View Profile
March 13, 2018, 12:52:03 PM

Have a rig? Then Yes it is profitable.
Don't have a rig? Then No, it could take you approximately 11-12 months to see you break even depending on electricity costs in your country.
Best bet is to buy coins you believe in if you are impatient for any returns.

Merit me or don't.
Miningtry

Activity: 96

View Profile
March 13, 2018, 12:52:33 PM

It is profitable if you have couple of paid off rigs, entering now into mining with this gpu prices is insane,
minutmine27

Activity: 14

View Profile
March 13, 2018, 12:55:14 PM

Hey guys!

I just would like for someone to give me a little feedback on a graphics card topic.. new to the buis and would like to know how well would 200xs onda GTX 750 ti perform. A friend of mine who builds computers knows nothing about how graphics cards perform for mining so we are both proposing this question. we can get these cards bulk and want to invest in mining. would this card be ok? even if it does have a 5-10 h/s would that be sufficient?    thx greatly
budong

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

Borderless for the People, Frictionless for the Ba

View Profile
March 13, 2018, 03:46:56 PM

When the market is not very good everybody likes to dig coins, actually also explained mining is very important.

dimpsk

Activity: 112

View Profile
March 13, 2018, 06:29:41 PM
Last edit: March 13, 2018, 06:52:41 PM by dimpsk

Hey guys!

I just would like for someone to give me a little feedback on a graphics card topic.. new to the buis and would like to know how well would 200xs onda GTX 750 ti perform. A friend of mine who builds computers knows nothing about how graphics cards perform for mining so we are both proposing this question. we can get these cards bulk and want to invest in mining. would this card be ok? even if it does have a 5-10 h/s would that be sufficient?    thx greatly

Only if you had free electricity. In other case this mining  will bring you only losses now.
AMD 460 is twice better with the same power consumption but using it you can reach only zero profitability - spend all earning on electricity  bills.
shinhurr

Activity: 39

View Profile
March 13, 2018, 06:41:26 PM

Some people mine because they believe in a coin and in that case it might be worth it in the long run.
e.g. it was worth it half a year ago when I mined ethereum and monero because they went up a lot.
If a coin I mine does not go up (I simply mine with a few GPUs) then it is often not worth it to me (in my specific situation).. but anyway, I needed some extra heating in winter Wink

dimpsk

View Profile
March 13, 2018, 06:56:13 PM

Some people mine because they believe in a coin and in that case it might be worth it in the long run.
e.g. it was worth it half a year ago when I mined ethereum and monero because they went up a lot.
If a coin I mine does not go up (I simply mine with a few GPUs) then it is often not worth it to me (in my specific situation).. but anyway, I needed some extra heating in winter Wink

It's not a matter of faith but they need some prudence here.
If you trully believe in crypto - better just buy it in exchange instead of purchasing a lot of expensive hardware and mining then at loss Smiley
Zepp74

Activity: 57

View Profile
March 13, 2018, 07:04:17 PM

Mining to me nowadays is if you want to hold onto a coin in hopes that it will one day go up in value and you can make some cash on it. If you think your going to mine and cash out daily then good luck you will take a long time to pay off your investment.
dimpsk

View Profile
March 13, 2018, 07:15:37 PM

Mining to me nowadays is if you want to hold onto a coin in hopes that it will one day go up in value and you can make some cash on it. If you think your going to mine and cash out daily then good luck you will take a long time to pay off your investment.

Nope.
There are 3 basic cases.
1) You have already equipment and you are still mining  for some small profit. Good for you.
2) You have already equipment and you are still mining for  losses (it is outdated or energy costs are too high in your neck of the woods - you name other reasons there could be a bunch of them). Time to think about swithing it off until better days.
You can buy crypto direct on exchange for fiat if you wanted after all.
3) You have no equipment and thinking about purchasing it now. It is obviously weird situation.

QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
March 13, 2018, 08:05:41 PM

Hey guys!

I just would like for someone to give me a little feedback on a graphics card topic.. new to the buis and would like to know how well would 200xs onda GTX 750 ti perform. A friend of mine who builds computers knows nothing about how graphics cards perform for mining so we are both proposing this question. we can get these cards bulk and want to invest in mining. would this card be ok? even if it does have a 5-10 h/s would that be sufficient?    thx greatly

GTX 750 ti cards are VERY low scale, and somewhat inefficient on most algorithms.
They're a tolerable Cryptonote miner though, ballpark 250 hash on commonly less than 50 and with good tuning possibly as low as 40 watts power usage.

The GPU in them has also been OUT OF PRODUCTION for well over a year, I wouldn't count on them staying available as they got replaced by the 1050.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3794
Merit: 1723

View Profile
March 13, 2018, 09:22:29 PM

Hey guys!

GTX 750 ti cards are VERY low scale, and somewhat inefficient on most algorithms.
They're a tolerable Cryptonote miner though, ballpark 250 hash on commonly less than 50 and with good tuning possibly as low as 40 watts power usage.

The GPU in them has also been OUT OF PRODUCTION for well over a year, I wouldn't count on them staying available as they got replaced by the 1050.

The 750ti was a very good GPU back in its day.

Basically it was released right before the Litecoin mining bubble burst of 2014.

However it had amazing power consumption.

Basically back then a r9 280x hashed at like 700kh/s but used like 300 Watts. The 750ti which had no external PCIe connection hashed at like 300khs using like 40 Watts.

It was revolutionary at the time but unfortunately it was released way too late for mining.
dimpsk

View Profile
March 13, 2018, 09:59:34 PM

Hey guys!

Basically it was released right before the Litecoin mining bubble burst of 2014.

However it had amazing power consumption.

Basically back then a r9 280x hashed at like 700kh/s but used like 300 Watts. The 750ti which had no external PCIe connection hashed at like 300khs using like 40 Watts.

It was revolutionary at the time but unfortunately it was released way too late for mining.

Sure. But if that guy has free electricity and free 750ti he can still use it for mining. Especially if he had free system blocks because he needs many of them to get considerable hash Smiley
kodtycoon
Legendary

Activity: 1568
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 13, 2018, 10:25:00 PM

It's still worth it You must be calculate the expenditure for electrical energy and income from the block you have received into money and accumulate all costs including internet connection, mining the coin that still receives rewards with some blocks in it so you will benefit.

▄▄██████▄
         ▄▄████████████
   ▄▄█████████▀▀   ▀████
 ▄███████████▄      ████
████▀   ▀▀██████▄▄▄████
████      ▄███████████▄
▀████▄▄▄████████▀▀▀████▄
 ▀███████████▀      ████
 ████▀▀▀██████▄▄   ▄███▀
████      ▀███████████▀
████▄   ▄▄█████████▀▀
 ████████████▀▀
  ▀██████▀▀
█████████████████

███

██████████

██████

███████████

███████████████

███████████████████
█████████████████

███   

██████████

██████   

███████████

███████████████   

███████████████████
▄█████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████
██████▀███████▀   ▀▀▀▄█████
█████▌  ▀▀███▌       ▄█████

████▀               █████
█████▄              ███████
██████▄            ████████
███████▄▄        ▄█████████
█████▄▄       ▄████████████
▀█████████████████████████▀
██████████████████▀▀███████
█████████████▀▀▀    ███████

███████▀▀▀   ▄▀   ███████
█████▄     ▄█▀     ████████
████████▄ █▀      █████████
█████████▌▐       █████████
██████████ ▄██▄  ██████████
████████████████▄██████████
███████▀           ▀███████
██████  ▄██▀▀▀▀▀█▀▄  ██████

█████  █▀  ▄▄▄  ▀█  █████
██████  █  █████  █  ██████
██████  █▄  ▀▀▀  ▄█  ██████
██████  ▀██▄▄▄▄▄██▀  ██████
███████▄           ▄███████
██████████▀█████▀██████████
███████▀  ▀     ▀  ▀███████

█████▌             ▐█████
██████    ██   ██    ██████
█████▌    ▀▀   ▀▀    ▐█████
██████▄  ▄▄▄   ▄▄▄  ▄██████
████████▄▄███████▄▄████████
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
March 14, 2018, 08:00:06 PM

Dang, I just did some checking - and didn't realise it came out quite THAT far back, I was thinking it was a late 2015 or early 2016 release.

It was a good card in it's day, and for a while was THE highest performance card available as a Low Profile card (I've still got a couple of those in older gaming machines).

It's efficient enough to be profitable at a few coins even now - but that's as much a reflection of the high profitability of GPU mining as anything else.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
dimpsk

View Profile
March 14, 2018, 08:05:19 PM

Dang, I just did some checking - and didn't realise it came out quite THAT far back, I was thinking it was a late 2015 or early 2016 release.

It was a good card in it's day, and for a while was THE highest performance card available as a Low Profile card (I've still got a couple of those in older gaming machines).

It's efficient enough to be profitable at a few coins even now - but that's as much a reflection of the high profitability of GPU mining as anything else.

I doubt it  could be profitable right  now Smiley
AMD 460 could not and it is two times more efficient then 750ti
Hughesy26

Activity: 182
Merit: 1

View Profile
March 14, 2018, 08:22:27 PM

I'm about to invest in some more hardware, so maybe helpful for me to explain my reasoning as it goes against what most people are saying;

1 - People are saying not to invest because payback period is ~12-14 months. In any normal business a payback period of 2-3 years is pretty decent

2 - People are calculating ROI based on current prices. I personally believe we are due a big run up end of the month/April which will mean the payback period is much quicker

3 - No one seems to factor in the residual value of the components. Say you spend $2k on GPUs, your ROI shouldn't be calculated on the basis of how long it takes to mine $2k (+electric). It should be based on how long it takes you to mine how much your assets have depreciated (+electric). Given the current crazy gpu market, your equipment will have a strong resale value   

4 - I don't plan to mine with my GPU's; instead I contribute to science through folding@home and get paid cryptos as a side benefit. This is actually more profitable than nicehash in my experience, but even if I only break even at least I am contributing to Stanford's research into Alzheimer's/Cancer/Parkinson's etc

❤ MEDICcoin ❤ Discordapp.com/invite/nRAzp4d ❤ Do Good Things-Make Life Better ❤  Masternodes 650% ROI ❤ TeleMedicine ❤
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 »
  Print  

Jump to: