Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 07:01:49 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Mining , still worth it?  (Read 7265 times)
grendel25
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1031

View Profile
March 16, 2018, 02:46:25 AM

It will be interesting to see how many new miners will be frustrated and what cheap GPUs we may see flood the market.  This cycle seems to continue over the years and that's okay.  Even new miners who fail now may come back stronger later and the vicious cycle of gamer/miner hatred continues.  

There is a lot happening in the mining world right now and it all pretty much amounts to hyped prices.  I won't be surprised to see the $12K ASICS going for $1K or less.  GPUs are less predictable but it depends on how well things like threadripper and new GPU releases do.

..EPICENTRAL .....
..EPIC: Epic Private Internet Cash..
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄
▄████████████████▀▀█████▄
▄████████████▀▀▀    ██████▄
████████▀▀▀   ▄▀   ████████
█████▄     ▄█▀     ████████
████████▄ █▀      █████████
▀████████▌▐       ████████▀
▀████████ ▄██▄  ████████▀
▀█████████████▄███████▀
▀█████████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄
▄████████▀█████▀████████▄
▄██████▀  ▀     ▀  ▀██████▄
██████▌             ▐██████
██████    ██   ██    ██████
█████▌    ▀▀   ▀▀    ▐█████
▀█████▄  ▄▄     ▄▄  ▄█████▀
▀██████▄▄███████▄▄██████▀
▀█████████████████████▀
▀█████████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
[/center]

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
grendel25
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1031

View Profile
March 16, 2018, 02:48:10 AM

if you are a business mining entity, perhaps it is worth it. gone are the days mining is worth it for hobbyist. last it was fun backa t 2014/2015. Sad

Business ownership can be fun.  Actually, if mining is your passion then I highly recommend accounting for it as a business.  There is nothing better than finding your passion and making it your job.  It's more like your getting paid to play instead of paid to labor.

..EPICENTRAL .....
..EPIC: Epic Private Internet Cash..
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄
▄████████████████▀▀█████▄
▄████████████▀▀▀    ██████▄
████████▀▀▀   ▄▀   ████████
█████▄     ▄█▀     ████████
████████▄ █▀      █████████
▀████████▌▐       ████████▀
▀████████ ▄██▄  ████████▀
▀█████████████▄███████▀
▀█████████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄
▄████████▀█████▀████████▄
▄██████▀  ▀     ▀  ▀██████▄
██████▌             ▐██████
██████    ██   ██    ██████
█████▌    ▀▀   ▀▀    ▐█████
▀█████▄  ▄▄     ▄▄  ▄█████▀
▀██████▄▄███████▄▄██████▀
▀█████████████████████▀
▀█████████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
[/center]
coins4commies

Activity: 952
Merit: 175

@cryptocommies

View Profile
March 16, 2018, 04:38:49 AM

i was making 20 cents per card last check. not gonna check again for a few days.
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
March 16, 2018, 06:42:18 AM

Same boat, I used to dump my GPUs after a year or so but I always regretted it.  I think its better to use them for 5 years at least , since they are paid off

I have yet to "dump" any GPU I have mined with, unless it flat out died.
If I can't mine profitably with them, there's other stuff I can do with them 'till some new coin shows up that IS profitable.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
Marvell2

Activity: 1148
Merit: 132

View Profile
March 16, 2018, 07:03:47 AM

Same boat, I used to dump my GPUs after a year or so but I always regretted it.  I think its better to use them for 5 years at least , since they are paid off

I have yet to "dump" any GPU I have mined with, unless it flat out died.
If I can't mine profitably with them, there's other stuff I can do with them 'till some new coin shows up that IS profitable.

In dump i meant replace them with newer models, or sell them when profit declined , not sure why you think i meant dump literally lol

who would just trash a 300 gpu with a 3 year warranty /boggle
Thiekungan

Activity: 191
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 16, 2018, 07:12:39 AM

I think mining is still worth doing but maybe the result is not as much if doing other things, such as bounty campaign
treanski

Activity: 364
Merit: 106

ONe Social Network.

View Profile
March 16, 2018, 07:54:45 AM

i sold all my old 1 year old rx 580´s with around 50% profit/gpu...they where paid off long time, made alot profit...now i´ll wait for new gddr6 gpus

with gpus its like with asics  to avoid falling further behind you need always new models...of course you can use a gpu much longer and for different coins...but after some time its the same math

adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 1709

View Profile
March 16, 2018, 07:58:17 AM

Yes I agree.
Profitability right now isn't the greatest. Under my calculations for Equihash, it's about 25% of what it was about 2 months ago.

Hopefully when Monero forks we might get CN profitable again.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
treanski

Activity: 364
Merit: 106

ONe Social Network.

View Profile
March 16, 2018, 08:03:42 AM

Yes I agree.
Profitability right now isn't the greatest. Under my calculations for Equihash, it's about 25% of what it was about 2 months ago.

Hopefully when Monero forks we might get CN profitable again.

im sure that aint gonna happen, asic companys now sell their useless hardware and will just switch on their updated miners when the forks happens.
if just 400mhs of the monero hashrate the last months have been bitmain/baikal you can calculate what they earned, they can effort easy to build a new asic for everys cryptonight algo change

Iamtutut

Activity: 1120
Merit: 131

View Profile
March 16, 2018, 09:31:35 AM

3 - anything you buy now, will not have resale value at all since new gpus are coming and people like new gpus, example, the last nvidia series 980.

I disagree, old GPUs can always be sold for people who are looking for a budget / 2nd hand computer. Expect 20-25% of what you paid, not much but in no case a total loss of value.
YellowCake

Activity: 6

View Profile
March 16, 2018, 10:02:04 AM

Interesting to me is the question of weather or not mining is still worth it, but without alot of context as to why people are mining in the first place. Because to me, either you are in it for some held beleifs or what not, or you are in it to make money as in treating it like a business. I think many miners that begin mining like the idea of making money, but have no idea how to treat it like a business. For example, for making money, asic's to me make sense, and those sense (cents...sorry couldn't resist) add up to dollars which any business needs coming in. If you are mining because of other loyal or crypto religious beliefs, then maybe it is worth it to those, but not so much to those who would like to run it as a home business, but don't know how...to those, maybe it would never be 'worth it'...I'm not saying I'm only ASIC, but I'll mine with whatever is still 'worth it'.
Ajiloveyuyun

Activity: 106

View Profile
March 16, 2018, 12:10:52 PM

you better switch to GPU compared to CPU, because CPU consumes big power and its revenue is also not how, good step is to sell your CPU and replace it with GPU, this way you can make a big profit.

this is only my suggestion, if your income by way of mining on the CPU is still high then continue it, until the CPU is no longer able to read the coin coin algorithm you mine.
Lantic_Mining

Activity: 129
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2018, 12:12:24 PM

If you are looking for a short term profit or a regular income then no, definitely not worth it at the moment.
If you can wait for your profit and HODL established coins or are willing to put some time into finding coins which 'might' have future value then yes, worth it.

Most of our own rigs are speculative mining with the current bear market and profitability. Customer's rigs seem to be split about 50/50 between those who haven't changed from ETH etc. and those who are mining some fairly obscure or new coins. At a guess I'd say about 5% have either reduced their number of rigs or have at least considered and asked about what price they could sell them for.

Regards,

Steve
Emoss3417

Activity: 10

View Profile
March 16, 2018, 01:13:56 PM

If you can afford a GPU or two and wont miss that money, dive in today. Even if you don't ROI, the learning experience is worth the cost.
dimpsk

Activity: 112

View Profile
March 16, 2018, 07:06:49 PM

GPU or CPU is a depreciated product, so if you can't get decent profit then better think twice. But I found the ROI is still acceptable, maybe roughly 1 year or more to earn back your GPU invested.

Nope. The days of 1 year ROI on GPU are gone. Also there is no magic  coins.
Now ROI is 2 years if your electricity is free and 3 years if not.

Apparantly I mean the farm of best GPU. Not such garbige as 4670 e.t.c. And not one any GPU in the system block.

That's it. No matter like you it or  not.
gotminer

Activity: 644
Merit: 24

View Profile
March 16, 2018, 07:25:33 PM

GPU or CPU is a depreciated product, so if you can't get decent profit then better think twice. But I found the ROI is still acceptable, maybe roughly 1 year or more to earn back your GPU invested.

Apparantly I mean the farm of best GPU. Not such garbige as 4670 e.t.c. And not one any GPU in the system block.

You really have no idea what you are talking about.  Your ignorance is quite comical though.

Ok, I want you to walk back in there and very calmly, very politely tell the risk assessors to fuck off! -Mark Baum
dimpsk

View Profile
March 16, 2018, 07:43:32 PM

You really have no idea what you are talking about.  Your ignorance is quite comical though.

I have a working rig and I am familar with mathmatics instead of some dreamers Smiley
Lantic_Mining

Activity: 129
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2018, 07:47:21 PM

I have a working rig and I am familar with mathmatics instead of some dreamers Smiley

It depends what you are paying for components I'd guess. Here in the UK it works out to about 10 months ROI although that would be a little optimistic if the current conditions continue and who knows how long if ETH ever does go to PoS...

Regards,

Steve
dimpsk

View Profile
March 16, 2018, 07:52:46 PM

It depends what you are paying for components I'd guess. Here in the UK it works out to about 10 months ROI although that would be a little optimistic if the current conditions continue and who knows how long if ETH ever does go to PoS...

Regards,

Steve

You are really lucky  then Smiley And how much is GTX 1070 in UK for example ?
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
March 16, 2018, 09:12:57 PM

Some contacts IRL i know from years ago are mining with 10 computers since last year, i said them it is not worth it nowadays but they still trust in the system.

I personally think 10 computers this days is not enough to make mining worth it as the price of electrycity in my country is high and mining consume a lot of it.

I think some clarification is needed - 10 machines with 1 GPU each or 10 machines with 19 GPUs each would be a HUGE difference.

My ongoing project of "convert my old Folding rigs to riser rigs" has REDUCED the number of "computers" I have actively mining, but I have more GPUs mining today than ever because I have more GPUs PER computer.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 »
  Print  

Jump to: