Bitcoin Forum
April 30, 2024, 07:03:11 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Mining , still worth it?  (Read 7265 times)
hummer113

Activity: 686
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
March 20, 2018, 08:03:00 PM

Prices for graphics cards have decreased, good time to buy, or ideally wait for new cards from nvidia.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Ale-x1

Activity: 60
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 20, 2018, 08:04:21 PM

I'd like to wait for lower prices )
coz they are x1.5 at least
gotminer

Activity: 644
Merit: 24

View Profile
March 20, 2018, 08:20:08 PM

Prices for graphics cards have decreased, good time to buy, or ideally wait for new cards from nvidia.

Personally I'd just wait another week and see if Nvidia makes any announcements at the GTC next week.

Ok, I want you to walk back in there and very calmly, very politely tell the risk assessors to fuck off! -Mark Baum
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
March 21, 2018, 11:30:27 PM

I had some hope for GTC, but right now it's looking like another month or two past that for an announcement on the first consumer 2xxx series cards - and a LOT of conflicting rumours about them.

About the only consistency is the "they will be the 20xx series", even though it would make more sense for them to be called the "11xx" series.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
PranDoW

Activity: 420
Merit: 252

View Profile
March 21, 2018, 11:53:58 PM

But profit is still low, better option is to wait for new series of nVidia cards. I hope they gonna be more powerful.
juanichiloco

Activity: 236
Merit: 101

View Profile
March 22, 2018, 02:56:41 PM

It's still worth it but in terms of buying new hardware right now it may be best to wait. It depends really on how much spare funds you can invest, another important aspect is if it will work out better just buying coins at the moment when the prices are relatively low.

★ ★ ★ ★ ★   DeepOnion    Anonymous and Untraceable Cryptocurrency    TOR INTEGRATED & SECURED   ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
› › › › ›  JOIN THE NEW AIRDROP ✈️        VERIFIED WITH DEEPVAULT  ‹ ‹ ‹ ‹ ‹
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   ANN  WHITEPAPER  FACEBOOK  TWITTER  YOUTUBE  FORUM   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
gwestcot

Activity: 794
Merit: 272

View Profile
March 22, 2018, 05:22:19 PM

It's still worth it but in terms of buying new hardware right now it may be best to wait. It depends really on how much spare funds you can invest, another important aspect is if it will work out better just buying coins at the moment when the prices are relatively low.

It depends on what you are mining as well. There are some coins, not on whattomine, that are still 2-4 times more profitable that what is listed and known for a given GPU.
Bimmber

Activity: 210

View Profile
March 22, 2018, 06:42:33 PM

Yes, they are called shitcoins, for a reason Cheesy

Yes, in theory you could make more money mining shitcoin, but

- lot of those pools steal
- by the time your blocks mature, price has dropped and profit is much much smaller
- no volume on exchange to sell
- no decent exchanges for most of the shitcoins

Shitcoin profit looks good only on paper.
dimpsk

Activity: 112

View Profile
March 22, 2018, 06:48:50 PM

There are a couple of scenarios where mining is still worth it.

1. You have the hardware lying around doing nothing and all you need to do is buy GPUs. Even that is going to be hard cause ROI on just GPU is close to 1 year now.
2. Electricity for you is either free or close to really really cheap. I am talking 0.07 kWh or less. In that case no matter what happens to the market you will still be there mining and getting something back.
3. You love tinkering with hardware/software and are techy. Passion beats everything, and if that is the case ROI or anything else does not really matter.

Biggest problem is that ROI right now for a new rig is around 12 months whatever you mine. 12 months in crypto is an eternity and no one knows what will happen. We might get some good months but most people say that only worse times are coming from now on. Difficulty will keep increasing and new players in the crypto to bring new cash in will be less and less.

ROI (better  to say CR) of naked GPU is 2 years now, not 1 year. Of course if your electricity is free.
dimpsk

View Profile
March 22, 2018, 06:51:32 PM

It depends on what you are mining as well. There are some coins, not on whattomine, that are still 2-4 times more profitable that what is listed and known for a given GPU.

It is illusion. There no such profitable coins. In real life profitability will be worse for sure then  on  top  of whattomine for example.  I tried it not once.
dimpsk

View Profile
March 22, 2018, 06:54:07 PM

Bad time  to buy still.  They decreased a bit but not enough. Prices are at hipe level still.
androstan1234

Activity: 251
Merit: 6

View Profile
March 22, 2018, 10:53:49 PM

IDK whether waiting for next gen nvidia is a great plan.  They will likely sell out instantly.

But I don't think buying gpus now is a good plan either.

Right now, prob should just buy coins, which is a discussion for another thread.
whitefire990
Copper Member

Activity: 166
Merit: 84

View Profile
March 22, 2018, 11:43:31 PM

Several people in the community (myself included) are working on open-platform FPGA miners (stock FPGA cards widely available + publicly released bitstreams with 2% fee).  The ROI right now is 15 to 90 days based on the card and the algorithm.  In my mind open platform FPGA mining will soon replace GPU's for altcoins, and the FPGA's are almost immune to forking.

gotminer

Activity: 644
Merit: 24

View Profile
March 23, 2018, 12:00:38 AM

It is illusion. There no such profitable coins. In real life profitability will be worse for sure then  on  top  of whattomine for example.  I tried it not once.

Not for daily profit.

Ok, I want you to walk back in there and very calmly, very politely tell the risk assessors to fuck off! -Mark Baum
Suslived

Activity: 252
Merit: 13

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
March 23, 2018, 12:25:43 AM

Several people in the community (myself included) are working on open-platform FPGA miners (stock FPGA cards widely available + publicly released bitstreams with 2% fee).  The ROI right now is 15 to 90 days based on the card and the algorithm.  In my mind open platform FPGA mining will soon replace GPU's for altcoins, and the FPGA's are almost immune to forking.

Any links or references to what you're talking about? Unfortunately some of us don't live in basements or geek out all day so we may not easily understand what and how FPGAs work for mining. My guess is that if ROI is 15 to 90 days as you say, it won't ever be available to the public until that number rises. People are greedy and developers will want to keep profits to themselves first.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
CryptoTalk.org| 
MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!
🏆
Metroid

Activity: 2142
Merit: 353

Xtreme Monster

View Profile
March 23, 2018, 12:42:55 AM

You trolls must always consider 30% - less profits than whattomine shows you, if it shows 30mhs on eth will give you after electricity is paid $0.70 per card, take another 30% from it which means $0.45 per card per day and paying $450 per rx 580 will give 1200 days roi, but imagine if your card is damaged, you lose it all, better buy coins at these prices, price of altcoins to buy are very good right now.

BTC Address: 1DH4ok85VdFAe47fSVXNVctxkFhUv4ujbR
whitefire990
Copper Member

View Profile
March 23, 2018, 12:55:22 AM

Any links or references to what you're talking about? Unfortunately some of us don't live in basements or geek out all day so we may not easily understand what and how FPGAs work for mining. My guess is that if ROI is 15 to 90 days as you say, it won't ever be available to the public until that number rises. People are greedy and developers will want to keep profits to themselves first.

I know the ROI since I am developing for the boards myself, but someone else also posted they were yielding similar ROI's for their FPGA project.  My algorithms are not finished yet, but all the high end boards are available for purchase immediately.  The hardware is available, the software/bitstreams will be available relatively soon.  I considered just mining with it and keeping it secret, but giving it away and charging a 2% fee ultimately yields more money in the end, so everyone benefits.

If you want to understand the technical side, consider that each core in a GPU is a serial processor capable of all sorts of math, and each math function is on a different part of the core.  Since only one math function is done at a time, then technically 80% of the GPU is actually 'idle' (all functions that are not being used in that particular instant are idle).  An FPGA that is programmed for mining is utilized 100%, that is to say that no single part of the chip is ever idle, every part is always working.  So even though the clock speed of the FPGA is lower (300-600MHz) than a GPU, the hash rate is drastically higher.

Patuba

Activity: 63

View Profile
March 23, 2018, 01:09:55 AM

You trolls must always consider 30% - less profits than whattomine shows you, if it shows 30mhs on eth will give you after electricity is paid $0.70 per card, take another 30% from it which means $0.45 per card per day and paying $450 per rx 580 will give 1200 days roi, but imagine if your card is damaged, you lose it all, better buy coins at these prices, price of altcoins to buy are very good right now.

Where are you coming up with the 30% discrepancy for whattomine.com?
Metroid

Activity: 2142
Merit: 353

Xtreme Monster

View Profile
March 23, 2018, 01:20:31 AM

Where are you coming up with the 30% discrepancy for whattomine.com?

Reality. Those pools are stealing that much profit and they take advantage cause solo mining is worthless for most, solo mining gives you more or equal than whattomine, never less.

The pool mafia has been going on for a long time, hope one day it will die. They can fool you trolls, experienced miners are never fooled by them.

BTC Address: 1DH4ok85VdFAe47fSVXNVctxkFhUv4ujbR
whitefire990
Copper Member

View Profile
March 23, 2018, 01:46:39 AM

When GPU mining I have found that I typically yield 0.72 * WhattoMine, on most pools.  There have been some exceptions.  Bitcore pools yielded exactly what was predicted by WhattoMine, and Suprnova seems to yield something around 0.9.  But yes, I generally agree a 30% penalty is a realistic calculation for most pools.  Ahashpool was 0.7 across the board for all algorithms I tried.  Miningpoolhub was around 0.8.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 »
  Print  

Jump to: