Bitcoin Forum
June 03, 2024, 12:16:20 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Mining , still worth it?  (Read 7266 times)
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
March 29, 2018, 09:38:02 PM

do you know anything about software? They do not eveb have the hybrid pos they have talking about implementing in testnet

Partly wrong - they DO have part of Casper up and running on testnet, though not the full blown implamentation yet.
Last comment I saw from one of the devs was "2 to 3 months for full "hybrid" implimentation on testnet" but they've been known to miss estimated deadlines a LOT.

POS will not kill ETH, just ETH mining - most INVESTORS could not care less about the difference between POS and POW.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
Marvell2

Activity: 1148
Merit: 132

View Profile
March 29, 2018, 09:54:58 PM

do you know anything about software? They do not eveb have the hybrid pos they have talking about implementing in testnet

Partly wrong - they DO have part of Casper up and running on testnet, though not the full blown implamentation yet.
Last comment I saw from one of the devs was "2 to 3 months for full "hybrid" implimentation on testnet" but they've been known to miss estimated deadlines a LOT.

POS will not kill ETH, just ETH mining - most INVESTORS could not care less about the difference between POS and POW.

finally so sensible discussion, again though this proves my point , 100million coins means nothing if the software is not ready for full POS, I would bet my life that they will not even hit the hybrid POS (Casper) implementation deadline
in 2 months and this doofus is saying mining will end in two months.  As a dev myself I would at least want to run the hybrid implementation on live for six months minimum before going to full POS.

If the software is not ready do you think they will care about hitting 100million coins just to stop inflation when they risk destroying thier ecosystem ? hell no

The already reduced the block reward by 2 on the last fork, In hybrid POS block reward will probably go down to 2 or so , but they wont implement it till q4 at the soonest.

Eth will still be mineable for at least a year if not more.
lolchina

Activity: 294
Merit: 103

View Profile
March 29, 2018, 10:28:43 PM

It depends on a lot of factors like electricity price and how much gpus someone have.Someone who arleady roid on his rigs and have like 200 cards making him a 1$ per cards can still live with that amount from mining and can keep runing his rigs while small miners are in trouble now.Also market will bounce back and same will probably happen with mining profits
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3780
Merit: 1718

CoinPoker.com

View Profile
March 29, 2018, 10:46:33 PM

I think most will try and sell on eBay or Craigslist.

Basically getting $400 for your GPU is better than mining for 40 cents a day.

They will most likely keep mining until they find a buyer.

gotminer

Activity: 644
Merit: 24

View Profile
March 29, 2018, 11:44:13 PM

It depends on a lot of factors like electricity price and how much gpus someone have.Someone who arleady roid on his rigs and have like 200 cards making him a 1$ per cards can still live with that amount from mining and can keep runing his rigs while small miners are in trouble now.Also market will bounce back and same will probably happen with mining profits

I don't know what you consider a small miner, but I consider myself a small time miner @ 31 GPU's and I'm in no trouble at all, in my opinion.  My rigs have yet to reach 100% capital recovery, but I have zero concerns.  I've yet to sell a single coin for fiat.  I cover my electricity costs every month from other income.  The portfolio of mined coins that I'm holding has certainly dropped in fiat value over the last couple of months, but so be it.  I have no issue mining and holding for better days.  At some point in the near future, I'll be offloading my lower end gpu's (1070ti's) for cash.  At that point, depending on the situation, I'll either buy newer gpu's or directly invest the funds into crypto. 

Even at today's low coin prices,  electrical cost to run my farm is much much lower than mining profits, if I were converting to fiat daily, which I am not.

Ok, I want you to walk back in there and very calmly, very politely tell the risk assessors to fuck off! -Mark Baum
WaffleMaster

Activity: 966
Merit: 546

View Profile
March 29, 2018, 11:48:32 PM

It is all very bad right now that's for sure. Whether people sell their equipment is if they can continue to run in the red for a long time to try and get past this. Maybe there is no getting past it. There's blood in the streets.
gwestcot

Activity: 794
Merit: 272

View Profile
March 30, 2018, 12:06:48 AM

I will scoop up any and all 1080 TI rigs that are cheaply priced on ebay. When people are scared that is the time to be bold and when people are exuberant that is the time to be cautious.
Metroid

Activity: 2142
Merit: 353

Xtreme Monster

View Profile
March 30, 2018, 12:12:28 AM

I've yet to sell a single coin for fiat.  I cover my electricity costs every month from other income.  The portfolio of mined coins that I'm holding has certainly dropped in fiat value over the last couple of months, but so be it.  I have no issue mining and holding for better days.  

Have to keep like that because you only really lose if you sell. The value now is irrelevant cause everything is based on the difficulty of getting such coin and that symbolizes its value. Market will soon rebound and you will get the fiat value it was before plus 1000% or so more. Just need to be patient.

BTC Address: 1DH4ok85VdFAe47fSVXNVctxkFhUv4ujbR
connic1983

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 30, 2018, 01:04:06 AM

The level of "this is bad" has reached new levels. I am paying a lot on electricity per kWh and right now I am barely breaking even. ETH is under $400... I am very very close to unplugging...
Marvell2

Activity: 1148
Merit: 132

View Profile
March 30, 2018, 01:17:12 AM

The level of "this is bad" has reached new levels. I am paying a lot on electricity per kWh and right now I am barely breaking even. ETH is under $400... I am very very close to unplugging...
just breaking even here too if i count my bills , I might actually have to go back to work lol
SirNeo

Activity: 59

View Profile WWW
March 30, 2018, 02:17:56 AM

$382.74 and counting

Still better than 1 year ago when it was $52.63
xs.over

Activity: 376
Merit: 103

View Profile
March 30, 2018, 02:20:14 AM

$382.74 and counting

You should compare DIFFICULTY too
gwestcot

View Profile
March 30, 2018, 03:10:04 AM

Send your GPU's to me. What do you have?
gwestcot

View Profile
March 30, 2018, 03:13:01 AM

$382.74 and counting

You should compare DIFFICULTY too

If we go into a crypto winter a la 2013 then this is what is going to happen. Mining will become unprofitable and people will look to sell all of their rigs/gpu's. The market will get absolutely flooded with GPU's so the price will be half off MSRP or even at a larger discount. The difficulty will then plummet to the floor to the point where an equilibrium is reached and mining is once again profitable. Then the cycle likely starts all over again. The savvy people will buy all of these cheap GPU's, mine with them, and hodl for the next bull market which I don't see coming until the next Bitcoin halving event in 2020. This is just my prediction but man I usually have a knack for predictions.
Metroid

Xtreme Monster

View Profile
March 30, 2018, 03:24:20 AM

This is just my prediction but man I usually have a knack for predictions.

This is not as prediction, is a fact.

gwestcot

View Profile
March 30, 2018, 03:30:56 AM

This is just my prediction but man I usually have a knack for predictions.

This is not as prediction, is a fact.

Ya true... Its not hard to call I guess since it has happened before.
Metroid

Xtreme Monster

View Profile
March 30, 2018, 03:38:58 AM

Ya true... Its not hard to call I guess since it has happened before.

Yeah, that is one way to earn easy money and if we take into account all halvings, i'd say bitcoin more than halved all those times to date.

Bulitt

Activity: 108
Merit: 11

View Profile
March 30, 2018, 04:51:34 AM

It was until today. Not even cheap electricity can save you after the great $6800 support failure freefall.
dimpsk

Activity: 112

View Profile
March 30, 2018, 04:54:01 AM

They told the same a year ago. Seems to be Vitalik and other bunch of developers do not have complite imagination what they are they doing and how to  do it.
Secondly, I do not understend now why investors would buy ETH when it becames POS.
And ya can see the same missunderstanding in the prices of ETH which are still fallling into dust and asches
dimpsk

Activity: 112

View Profile
March 30, 2018, 04:59:35 AM

It was until today. Not even cheap electricity can save you after the great $6800 support failure freefall.

Trully free electricity can ofcourse but only it
As I said early many times - it is not time to start mining - one will never pay back the equipment costs.
But if ya have equimpent already and if ya have FREE electricity (TRULLY FREE  now) and a lot of free time - why not. Ya can continue mining for fun.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 »
  Print  

Jump to: