Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 06:48:16 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Mining , still worth it?  (Read 7265 times)
senseless

Activity: 1118
Merit: 541

View Profile
April 04, 2018, 12:41:46 AM

Yes, mining is still worth it. You just need to be better than the average joe.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
ptjoy

Activity: 50
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 04, 2018, 01:06:49 AM

Mining will worth it, if you did research of what currency with what equipment you can mine with best calculated roi, and smaller period of time.
klintistwood

Activity: 157
Merit: 100

Out of the box is where I live

View Profile WWW
April 05, 2018, 07:11:15 AM

I still think it is worth it. depends on your strategy though.

I checked my pool address just now and I am expecting 1.9 ETH a month (went up by .09) and I pay $230 for unlimited electricity for my house. I know this number can fluctuate based off of difficulty.

I am not worried about the price per ETH at this moment because I am still making close to $800/month at todays prices. I am mostly mining for the coins at this point though. I am looking for a big jump on prices throughout the year and will sell at that time.

What kind of setup do you have to make 1.9 ETH / month?

13 GPU Nvidia Rig running under Ubuntu 16 (eth hash rate: 300+Mh/s @ 1000W for whole rig): 3x EVGA GTX 1060 3Gb (24MH/s @ 65W) + 6x MSI Armor GTX 1060 3Gb (24MH/s @ 70W) + 1x MSI GTX 1060 (24Mh/s @ 65W) + 3x Zotac GTX 1060 (24MH/s @ 65 W). PSU 2400W, Asrock ASRock H110 Pro BTC+, cheap Chinese risers, Kingston SSD 120Gb, 8Gb memory. Selling some of my GPUs (around 200€, still under warranty), if you're interested, contact me in private.
m.vina

Activity: 280
Merit: 102

View Profile
April 05, 2018, 07:44:36 AM

I checked my pool address just now and I am expecting 1.9 ETH a month (went up by .09) and I pay $230 for unlimited electricity for my house. I know this number can fluctuate based off of difficulty.

I am not worried about the price per ETH at this moment because I am still making close to $800/month at todays prices. I am mostly mining for the coins at this point though. I am looking for a big jump on prices throughout the year and will sell at that time.

Probably around 25-30 GPUs depending on the cheapest GPUs you can get. You would need 3 motherboards to run them. Then these would probably run at an estimated electric power consumption of around 4000-5000 watts. These are very rough estimates. I wouldn't get into buying GPUs for mining at this time tho. Too much is uncertain.

M O Z O   //     $31M RAISED!     PRE-LISTED on Coinrail     $450k Bounty Tradable on 8/8/18
●            ●                       VERSACE & 38,000 Stores are accepting MOZO TOKENS                       ●            ●
●            ●            WHITEPAPER        MEDIUM        TELEGRAM        ANN THREAD            ●            ●
Sandal_Hat

Activity: 462
Merit: 118

View Profile
April 05, 2018, 11:41:03 AM

Probably around 25-30 GPUs depending on the cheapest GPUs you can get. You would need 3 motherboards to run them. Then these would probably run at an estimated electric power consumption of around 4000-5000 watts. These are very rough estimates. I wouldn't get into buying GPUs for mining at this time tho. Too much is uncertain.

Dont buy gpus now. The antminer E3 is too much cheaper and will drive gpu down the drain.
In general, mining is just not worth it now. Too much risk for this kinda return.

Selling 100 dollar coupons (8units expire 11th June, 14 units expire 1st july) and 125 dollar coupon (2 unit exp 30th June). Selling at 20% of value
baga105

Activity: 362
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 05, 2018, 11:45:12 AM

Until you get your E3 to your house, you could only use it to heat up your house Wink

Ass, Gas or Grass! No one rides for free!
gwestcot

Activity: 794
Merit: 272

View Profile
April 05, 2018, 12:08:08 PM
Last edit: April 05, 2018, 12:21:52 PM by gwestcot

Dont buy gpus now. The antminer E3 is too much cheaper and will drive gpu down the drain.
In general, mining is just not worth it now. Too much risk for this kinda return.

I really feel like the E3 will get bricked like the cryptonight variety did. Nobody likes bitmain these days.  Grin
Sandal_Hat

View Profile
April 05, 2018, 12:12:40 PM

I really feel like the E3 will get bricked like the cryptonight variety did. Nobody like bitmain these days.  Grin

Or could be like SIA coin. No fork.
I hope bitmain lowers their production.

Selling 100 dollar coupons (8units expire 11th June, 14 units expire 1st july) and 125 dollar coupon (2 unit exp 30th June). Selling at 20% of value
gwestcot

Activity: 794
Merit: 272

View Profile
April 05, 2018, 12:29:04 PM

I really feel like the E3 will get bricked like the cryptonight variety did. Nobody like bitmain these days.  Grin

I just hope they try to focus on coins that already have established ASIC markets rather than trying to create new ones that the community doesn't want. They should come out with an improved Bitcoin miner instead of branching to cryptonight, ethash, and everything else under the sun.
Sandal_Hat

View Profile
April 05, 2018, 01:24:26 PM

I really feel like the E3 will get bricked like the cryptonight variety did. Nobody like bitmain these days.  Grin

I just hope they try to focus on coins that already have established ASIC markets rather than trying to create new ones that the community doesn't want. They should come out with an improved Bitcoin miner instead of branching to cryptonight, ethash, and everything else under the sun.

Why would one improve a btc miner when there is no need to. Can only improve to 10nm which is not much. It will cannibalize sales of their own S9 product....no point. The current 10nm node miners have proven to not be special or anything.

dimpsk

Activity: 112

View Profile
April 05, 2018, 05:44:59 PM

If you are looking for a reliable facility to host your miners we have space available. Send us your requirements here, https://www.miningdx.com.

Mining doesnot worth it so there is no need for new facility Smiley
gotminer

Activity: 644
Merit: 24

View Profile
April 05, 2018, 06:47:35 PM

If you are looking for a reliable facility to host your miners we have space available. Send us your requirements here, https://www.miningdx.com.

Learn to speak English.

Ok, I want you to walk back in there and very calmly, very politely tell the risk assessors to fuck off! -Mark Baum
dimpsk

View Profile
April 05, 2018, 07:44:22 PM

Learn to speak English.

Doesnot  matter, there is a lot of dialects here. Better don't mistake the imaginary earnings for reality losses anymore  Wink
demonch1k

Activity: 2

View Profile
April 05, 2018, 07:58:12 PM

Learn to speak English.

Doesnot  matter, there is a lot of dialects here. Better don't mistake the imaginary earnings for reality losses anymore  Wink
gotminer

View Profile
April 05, 2018, 08:29:03 PM

Learn to speak English.

Not really imaginary.  If I cash out my mining earnings for the month of March right now @ $6775 btc, I would get $1239.60.  My electricity for the month was around $400.  Now go IMAGINE that you grew a brain.   Grin Grin Grin

Ok, I want you to walk back in there and very calmly, very politely tell the risk assessors to fuck off! -Mark Baum
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
April 05, 2018, 09:33:20 PM

Learn to speak English.

My "imaginary earnings" have been paying my rent, electric bill, Internet bill, buying food, putting gas in the van, and other such stuff for 2 years now with ZERO other income past the first few months of that timeframe.
The cash in my wallet and the money in my credit union checking account sure don't SEEM imaginary.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
April 05, 2018, 09:46:28 PM

Right this second, you need appx. 800 Mhash/sec to earn 1.9 ETH per month - that would be 26 Nvidia 1070 models or 28-30 AMD RX 470/480/570/580 models.
Power consumption presuming WELL OPTIMIZED rigs would be around 3000 watts on the Nvidia side and 3500-4000 watts on the AMD side.
The AMD option would be lower up-front cost at current card pricing.

My power bill for 4 KW continuous power draw 24 hours a day 30 days a month would be a bit under $160 ALL fees and taxes included, and I could drop it to about $110 if I lived one county over.

In my case, the actual numbers are a bit lower for ETH income, a bit higher on power use per rig (the R290 rig eats a LOT more power than a 1070 or Polaris rig would but since the cards are long paid for and ARE still profitable), but the majority of my income right now is from ZEC not ETH.
I DID just drop my electric bill by almost a third, when I shut down my A2 Scrypt farm 'cause it wasn't even breaking even any more *BEFORE* factoring in cooling costs (though evap cooling is CHEAP, and a lot of my cooling is forced-airflow).

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
dimpsk

View Profile
April 05, 2018, 10:40:06 PM

Learn to speak English.

Not really imaginary.  If I cash out my mining earnings for the month of March right now @ $6775 btc, I would get $1239.60.  My electricity for the month was around $400.  Now go IMAGINE that you grew a brain.   Grin Grin Grin

Your imagination is really great especially for those who can count $0.4 per day profit from one GPU NVIDIA 1070 for example Smiley
dx_twisted

Activity: 294
Merit: 114

View Profile
April 05, 2018, 11:46:50 PM

Yes, mining is still worth it. You just need to be better than the average joe.

How can you be better than the average joe when it's all about hardwares and stuffs? Do you mean that one should have resources which they can able to buy those things that they need? I'm at 50/50 point when it comes to mining, especially that there is a scarcity in GPU's. Wish that I can turn back the clock and never invest into ICO's or trading new coins. I was able to purchase 3x 1080 Ti's when it was cheaper @ $1k/unit and put half of my investment to those things that I mentioned. If you have faith in what you do and have a better decision capacity than I am, mining will still be profitable.
gotminer

View Profile
April 06, 2018, 12:46:14 AM

Learn to speak English.

Your imagination is really great especially for those who can count $0.4 per day profit from one GPU NVIDIA 1070 for example Smiley

I can't figure you out.  You've either never mined before and are just comparing current daily profit with overpriced gpu's (which I never bought, by the way) or you tried mining and got burnt by over paying for gpu's, and now you're hopeless.  To be honest the latter is just about the same as the crowd who straight up purchased btc with fiat at it's ATH in December.  All of those guys are salty too.  Lol.  My mining farm is doing just fine, but thanks for the concern.

The math that you're calculating isn't set in stone.  It's a variable that changes very frequently.  Exactly why I provided numbers that were over the course of an entire month. 

From the way that you talk, I don't think you've been around very long, so I can understand your point of view.  If I were looking to get into gpu mining right now or any time in the past few months, I wouldn't do it.  The reason that I have the opinion that I do is because if you would have purchased reasonably priced gpu's last year and rode the upturn of the market for a while, you would feel much better about the situation. 

I'm mining, I'm trading, I'm buying just to hold ... Adjust your strategy and portfolio based on what is best for you.  Or if you don't believe in crypto, get the fuck out, and go trade something else.  Not sure what else to tell you.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 »
  Print  

Jump to: