Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 09:37:25 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Merit is so unfair  (Read 1430 times)
caytienbct

Activity: 132
Merit: 12

My dream is to be a self-made billionaire

View Profile
May 01, 2018, 09:28:29 AM

Merit system is definitely unfair (or far from perfect fair) system, so let's stop complaining about its fairness.
For example, no one can choose the family to born, and no one can choose the perfect time to join the forum. Of course, Theymos can not choose the perfect solution to completely end spamming endemic in the forum. That's why merit system launched in January.
I think the idea of merit at least on a numbers level is to be somewhat unfair.. or at least make a low-level effort not worth it.  I think bounties are being hurt by high participation and also hurting the bounty's success (some of the things I see posted on twitter posts or youtube are just downright ridiculous, poor English.. poor presentation.. it's all linked together).  The reality is the population needed to succeed in whatever capacity the forum requires already exists, and having 0 new members would only make it more rewarding to those participating.  The curve is certainly somewhat unfair for late adopters but the only thing in life you really can't ever make up for with effort is time... so it really makes sense.  It'll require 10x more effort now compared to an early forum adopter but maybe 1000x more effort 3 years from now... the curve will only work more against you.  The idea isn't to be fair, the idea is to find the top 1-5% and have them join in and weed the rest out.

It is likely that you are lying.
I'm with you it sucks.. but I'm going to put in the effort because I see the benefit of the system even if it doesn't serve me.  It's not high ranking member's fought that I didn't join in the early days when the "proof of work" was easier difficulty.

If the forum has such automatically allocated merit system. Lots of members will send their sMerits for shit-threads, because they will give at least 1 merit back as a give for their shitty merit giving away.
No sir , I want to mean that if you spend 5 merit by give 5 other people. You should get bonus 1 merit from forum automatically. Not from the people. Sorry if I told wrong. I just share my opinion.
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
abiiiii

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 01, 2018, 01:55:12 PM

Higher ranking users kept saying we should shut up and stop ranting about the merit system but they did not experience it in the first place. Sure, having a merit system may reflect on the capability of a user to create useful posts, but how about the responsibility of those who own sMerit? Who has the eagerness to read replies in a thread and give merit? It's actually too hard and a matter of luck. No matter how you construct posts, if no one who has sMerit will recognize it, you can't get one.
lxgiwyl18

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 01, 2018, 02:12:35 PM

Higher ranking users kept saying we should shut up and stop ranting about the merit system but they did not experience it in the first place. Sure, having a merit system may reflect on the capability of a user to create useful posts, but how about the responsibility of those who own sMerit? Who has the eagerness to read replies in a thread and give merit? It's actually too hard and a matter of luck. No matter how you construct posts, if no one who has sMerit will recognize it, you can't get one.

Well, thats the part of struggle in getting merits here and we need to accept that, not everyone will give you merit no matter how good your post would be. You dont need to blame the system if you really care about what you write or read in this forum. Why would you need those merits and care about ranking if your primary purpose in using the forum is to learn and share for everyone.
TMAN
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1808

Exchange Bitcoin quickly-https://blockchain.com.do

View Profile WWW
May 01, 2018, 02:13:05 PM

Ok Mr Meta, Altcoin, Altcoin, Bounty and bounty poster.. what on earth makes you think you deserve merits when you only post in places that are full of retards? Even if you are a great quality poster you wont be seen in the shit subs as the merit sources don't go there..

███████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
████████▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀████████
██████▀▄██▀▀▄▄ ████▄▀██████
█████ ███ ████ ▀▀████ █████
████ █████ ███▀▀▀▄████ ████
████ ███▀▀▀▄▄▄████████ ████
████ ██▄▄▀▀███████▀▄▄█ ████
█████ █████ █▀██▀▄███ █████
██████▄▀███▀▄█▀▄███▀▄██████
████████▄▄▀▀▀ ▀▀▀▄▄████████
██████████▀▄███████████████
██████████████████████████
.FORTUNEJACK   JOIN INVINCIBLE JACKMATE AND WIN......10 BTC........
█████████████████████████
██████▀▀▀       ▀▀▀██████
█████  ▄▄▄█████▄▄▄  █████
█████  █████ █████  █████
█████  ██▄     ▄██  █████
█████  ████   ████  █████
█████▄  ██▄▄█▄▄██  ▄█████
██████▄  ███████  ▄██████
███████▄   ▀▀▀   ▄███████
██████████▄▄ ▄▄██████████
DdmrDdmr
Legendary

Activity: 2310
Merit: 10758

There are lies, damned lies and statistics. MTwain

View Profile WWW
May 01, 2018, 02:20:51 PM

I don't see the point of posting the exact same content multiple times on different threads (i.e. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=3464219.msg36033923#msg36033923 and https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=3006322.msg36034044#msg36034044).
While you're opinion is obviously yours and isn't going to change in a 10 minute timeframe, the topic threads are not exactly about the same and we should be able to adopt out vision accordingly.

No, receiving sMerits is not easy at all, and can be rather frustrating often for many. Even so, the idea is to try to shine and that requires effort and persistence. The way I see it, persist or cave in.
KingScorpio

Activity: 1470
Merit: 325

View Profile WWW
May 01, 2018, 04:39:35 PM

OP, you either are oblivious to the rampant shitposting we've got going on here, or you just don't give a shit about it.  My guess is that since your English skills are mediocre at best, you don't even realize that most of the "discussion" happening on bitcointalk is complete nonsense--posts made just so people can fulfill their signature campaign quotas for the week.  

Another thing:  It's not unfair.  You're just impatient.  

Yet another thing:  Why are you so fixated on ranking up here?  You don't have to answer that, as it was a rhetorical question.  You're being impatient with the merit system because you want to rank up as quickly as you can so that your earning potential rises as fast as possible.  Please be honest and admit that, because it's obvious.  And there isn't much respect for users like you, because you and others like you are the reason the merit system was implemented in the first place.  There's too much noise and not enough signal.

You've already earned some merit, so I don't know what you're complaining about.  Just suck it up and be patient.
i'm new here
can anyone tell me what merit exactly is ?
OMG...do less posting and more reading here.  Look in the Meta section and you'll find about 1000 threads about merit.  And just read.

pharmacist whenever i see you avatar i am thinking you must be some kind of satanist

Hans17

Activity: 390
Merit: 157

View Profile
May 01, 2018, 06:17:18 PM

Isn't it so unfair for the people who is new here? That will be struggling making such as good quality post so they could be given a merit by someone. I know all of you is having a hard time thinking what are you going to post such as good quality.

It is really hard to have a merit it is because as far as I know:
People are selfish. Even though you post a really good quality post still there is a people who won't give you a merit.
Some are alone. Like me, I don't really have much friend who would give me a free merit. I know that it is easy to have a merit with a friend that have an account of bitcointalk.

My question is. Why still need merit? We are still struggling to rank because of the merit.

I have the same question in my head but i quite figure it why though , our moderators want us to improve , don't take it as a big hindrance on leveling up instead take it as a motivation and strive though.

I know it's so hard and sometimes irritating and leads to frustration right? , but don't stress yourself , just focus on your goal , there are some giving away merit that you will have a chance to prove that you are worth giving merit.

[

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
CryptoTalk.org| 
MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!
🏆
Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 3070

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
May 01, 2018, 06:28:03 PM
Merited by Jet Cash (1)

No, receiving sMerits is not easy at all, and can be rather frustrating often for many. Even so, the idea is to try to shine and that requires effort and persistence. The way I see it, persist or cave in.

Actually, it isn't that difficult to earn merit.  Just try making a thoughtful or interesting post about something else besides merit.  Smiley

https://nastyscam.com - landing page up     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming soon!
OGNasty has early onset dementia; keep this in mind when discussing his past actions.
Jet Cash
Legendary

Activity: 2702
Merit: 2456

https://JetCash.com

View Profile WWW
May 01, 2018, 06:43:16 PM

Actually, it isn't that difficult to earn merit.  Just try making a thoughtful or interesting post about something else besides merit.  Smiley

I gave you a merit. Mainly to piss off the whingers, because they will think that is a wasted merit. But it isn't, because it shows that there is still merit to be awarded, and your post was short and to the point.

Offgrid campers allow you to enjoy life and preserve your health and wealth.
Save old Cars - my project to save old cars from scrapage schemes, and to reduce the sale of new cars.
My new Bitcoin transfer address is - bc1q9gtz8e40en6glgxwk4eujuau2fk5wxrprs6fys
wwzsocki
Legendary

Activity: 2744
Merit: 1708

First 100% Liquid Stablecoin Backed by Gold

View Profile WWW
May 01, 2018, 07:47:27 PM
Last edit: May 01, 2018, 08:05:43 PM by wwzsocki

snip
...Meta, Altcoin, Altcoin, Bounty and bounty poster.. what on earth makes you think you deserve merits when you only post in places that are full of retards? Even if you are a great quality poster you wont be seen in the shit subs as the merit sources don't go there..

I agree with you that on other boards users award more merits, quality of discussion is higher and there is a bigger chance to be noticed by influential members but sometimes you just need altcoins section. I invest in ICO's and 80% of my time I'm reading there when researching projects. This subforum is flooded with spam.

Lately, I started reported them. Sometimes I see 60 or 70 "good project", "wish you luck", "best ICO" kind of posts in a row. All from new or junior member accounts already registered in a bounty campaign. When I look at this accounts posts history there are only short spam posts or bounty reports.

No wonder Theymos introduced merits. We can't allow this spam because it's simply impossible to read this forum lately. My eyes are burning sometimes and I need an hour or two to report this amount of spam. This isn't what the forum is about to write some nonsense, only about the exchange of insights, information and discussion between people with similar views and interests.

Think for a second that the next step, if the merit doesn't work, it may be removing or suspending signatures.

Merit is a necessary evil. PERIOD.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13]  All
  Print  

Jump to: