Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 06:38:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: TradeHill - Dwolla is being scammed and reversing transactions  (Read 19135 times)
JoelKatz
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012

Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.

View Profile WWW
July 27, 2011, 06:10:40 AM

I don't think Dwolla has an answer yet. I suspect that they're rethinking their whole business model right now.

There's a market for $0.25 transactions. But Dwolla is going to have to figure out how they're going to handle fraud in a way that doesn't drop their profits to zero (which is going to mean making everyone else eat the fraud costs) and they're going to have to communicate that clearly to all parties.

I am an employee of Ripple. Follow me on Twitter @JoelKatz
1Joe1Katzci1rFcsr9HH7SLuHVnDy2aihZ BM-NBM3FRExVJSJJamV9ccgyWvQfratUHgN

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
billyjoeallen
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1007

Hide your women

View Profile WWW
July 27, 2011, 06:21:46 AM

You could ask them more directly. :
What is Dwolla's Phone Number?
Last Updated: Jun 29, 2011 08:24AM CDT
From 9AM to 6PM Monday - Friday Dwolla's customer service is available at 515.280.1000.

(from their website)

insert coin here:
Dash XfXZL8WL18zzNhaAqWqEziX2bUvyJbrC8s

1Ctd7Na8qE7btyueEshAJF5C7ZqFWH11Wc
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4564
Merit: 1276

View Profile
July 27, 2011, 06:48:32 AM

Hypothesis alert!  (These kinds of ideas hit me when I am in the shower somehow and I just got out.)

Two things seem particularly mysterious about this issue:

1) Dwolla's silence and unwillingness to communicate with Tradehill for no understandable reason.

2) The seemingly disproportionate effect on TH vs. all other exchanges.

The idea which hit me is that for the last decade or so 'national security letters' have been being used like confetti (in the US.)  An interesting feature of these is that complete silence on the part of the involved parties is demanded and usually obtained.  So, for example, the NSA can not only walk into a library and demand their checkout list, but also compel the Librarians to not utter a word about it.  (A few years ago Librarians 'struck' and destroyed all of their records in disgust as I recall.)

So, I wonder if Tradehill is the target of a national security investigation?  It was not to long ago that certain congressmen were making noise along these lines about Bitcoin generally, and Tradehill seems to me like it could be a high-value target.

Part II of my hypothesis is that TH may have been being specifically set up and hence the disproportionate malfeasance that they seem to have encountered.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
Jaime Frontero

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 27, 2011, 07:21:26 AM

I don't think Dwolla has an answer yet. I suspect that they're rethinking their whole business model right now.

There's a market for $0.25 transactions. But Dwolla is going to have to figure out how they're going to handle fraud in a way that doesn't drop their profits to zero (which is going to mean making everyone else eat the fraud costs) and they're going to have to communicate that clearly to all parties.

[emphasis mine]

yup.

but... they're basically competing against the cheapest wire available:  10 bucks/3 days.  right?

that sure leaves them plenty of room to compete.  would anybody mind - especially now, with reality as it is - a $1 USD charge?  probably not.  still pretty damn cheap, comparatively.

but maybe from somebody else.  i must say that i'm not terribly impressed with dwolla at the moment.  it'd take one helluva campaign on their part to convince me otherwise.

EhVedadoOAnonimato

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 27, 2011, 07:47:39 AM

This is sad.

I've always been a little skeptic about escrowed exchanges. I realize their importance to most people, particularly large business who just can't afford to evaluate the trustworthiness of every individual they exchange currency with. But the thing is that they need to have a public link to the current banking system, and that makes them vulnerable to all sorts of issues, including what we're seeing here.

I think the best way out for them now, besides using irreversible means of payment like Liberty Reserve (actually, does it remain irreversible?), is to try to hire insurances. That would make everything more expensive, but that's the cost of the banking system, if you want to use an escrowed exchange you'll have to pay for it.
I wonder though if it they would manage to find any company offering insurances to something as peculiar as bitcoin exchanges at an affordable price.

Where's that CoinPal guy now? He had a robust fraud prevention system. Couldn't the same techniques be applied to credit card or bank transfers?
Jered Kenna (TradeHill) (OP)

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
July 27, 2011, 07:50:16 AM

Today on IRC and via email, two other exchanges confirmed they had transactions that 'vanished' and that were 'reversed'. We are waiting for them to make this public.

Any exchange using Dwolla CSVs over the past two months almost certainly has loses to the order of 3 to 9% of their volume.

Adam

moneyandtech.com
@moneyandtech @jeredkenna
EhVedadoOAnonimato

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 27, 2011, 08:06:02 AM

That's big. It could possibly mean that Dwolla simply doesn't have the resources to take these frauds on their balance sheet. That's probably why they are silent: they know they should refund you, but they just can't.

Maybe you'll have no other option but suing them.
linenoise

Activity: 303
Merit: 290

View Profile WWW
July 27, 2011, 10:03:23 AM

If dwolla can reverse across the board why would anyone continue to use them? They've been pushing the 'as good as cash' for quite awhile, they even still have FAQs about how easy it is without the worry of chargebacks. They want brick and mortar merchants to use this, but why would I want to sell even a cup of coffee via dwolla if it may end up being a fraud transaction later on.

I was about to start accepting dwolla for a non-Bitcoin online service to hopefully avoid some of the 3% fees paypal and CC processors take, along with the hassle of those payment system chargebacks. But why try to get people to use another service if Dwolla will be just as bad as what's out there already.

cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 27, 2011, 11:54:04 AM

http://agoristradio.com/?p=438

listen to this very interesting Agorist Radio podcast History of the Cypherpunks.

its been a coupla months since i listened to it but a central point from the panel discussion was that banks LIKE chargebacks b/c it gives them an excuse to charge higher fees.

in Dwolla's case, in order for them to survive IMO the only choice is for them to charge more.  i've never understood how they could make money at $0.25 per tx.
westkybitcoins
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: Compromised. Thanks, Android!

View Profile
July 27, 2011, 12:03:42 PM

Joe Smith: "Mr bank, please initiate EFT to account XYZ."
Bank: K.
Dwolla: Funds received to Mr. Bogus T. Fradulent's account.
Joe Smith aka Bogus T Fradulent: "Mr Dwolla, please send em to Trade Hill, account ABC "
Dwolla: K.
Trade Hill: "Funds received to Bogus T Fradulent's account."
Joe Smith aka Bogus T Fradulent: "BUY BUY BUY SEND SEND SEND"
Joe Smith: "Mr bank, I made an error.  I sent to account XYZ, I meant PDQ."
Bank: K.  EFT reversed, reason of Joe Smith's funds deposited to wrong account.  Dwolla, never mind that deposit to account XYZ.
Which brings up the question -- What is Dwolla's business model? How can they do no chargebacks at only 25 cents per transaction? One fraudulent payment reversal in every 5,000 transactions would bankrupt them.

They've clarified it today. They do chargebacks. Unfortunately they had told us that they don't.
It's 4:15, I'm going to get some sleep, I'll be available tomorrow.

Jered

And it took two weeks for them to just man up and admit this?!

Yeah, that's BS. Appreciate you guys forcing them to reveal this. Too bad it had to get to that point.

Bitcoin is the ultimate freedom test. It tells you who is giving lip service and who genuinely believes in it.
In the future, books that summarize the history of money will have a line that says, “and then came bitcoin.” It is the economic singularity. And we are living in it now. - Ryan Dickherber
ATTENTION BFL MINING NEWBS: Just got your Jalapenos in? Wondering how to get the most value for the least hassle? Give BitMinter a try! It's a smaller pool with a fair & low-fee payment method, lots of statistical feedback, and it's easier than EasyMiner! (Yes, we want your hashing power, but seriously, it IS the easiest pool to use! Sign up in seconds to try it!)
The idea that deflation causes hoarding (to any problematic degree) is a lie used to justify theft of value from your savings.
dacoinminster
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1031

Rational Exuberance

View Profile WWW
July 27, 2011, 12:57:46 PM

Today on IRC and via email, two other exchanges confirmed they had transactions that 'vanished' and that were 'reversed'. We are waiting for them to make this public.

Any exchange using Dwolla CSVs over the past two months almost certainly has loses to the order of 3 to 9% of their volume.

Adam

This could mean that some exchanges no longer have the funds to cover all their liabilities, and are now operating on a "fractional reserve" model where they just hope everybody won't withdraw their money all at once. Kinda scary.

This is why I try not to leave any more money than I have to on the exchanges. There is nobody looking over their shoulder to make sure they aren't making big loans to themselves, writing off big losses, etc, all while naively intending to pay the money back "someday, with our future profits"

Trader Steve

Activity: 836
Merit: 1007

"How do you eat an elephant? One bit at a time..."

View Profile
July 27, 2011, 01:29:57 PM

Adam

This could mean that some exchanges no longer have the funds to cover all their liabilities, and are now operating on a "fractional reserve" model where they just hope everybody won't withdraw their money all at once. Kinda scary.

This is why I try not to leave any more money than I have to on the exchanges. There is nobody looking over their shoulder to make sure they aren't making big loans to themselves, writing off big losses, etc, all while naively intending to pay the money back "someday, with our future profits"

Yes, you have "counter-party" risk. That is the reason for holding bitcoin in your personal wallet. Local, in-person exchanges are best. Develop local, trusted, trading networks. Only leave in the exchanges and online wallets what you can afford to lose.
kokojie
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1003

View Profile
July 27, 2011, 01:53:02 PM

Just hold all dwolla deposit for 60 days before the fund is allowed to be used for trading from now on

btc: 15sFnThw58hiGHYXyUAasgfauifTEB1ZF6
Clipse

Activity: 504
Merit: 502

View Profile
July 27, 2011, 01:57:04 PM

Just hold all dwolla deposit for 60 days before the fund is allowed to be used for trading from now on

If thats the best option, simply dont allow dwolla. No business can operate by forcing clients to wait 60days, no clients would tolerate this either.

I think best approach if you want to use dwolla from now on then clients must verify themself with the normal legal bullshit ie. photo id, proof of residence, bank account statement etc etc. so would be scammers wouldnt even think twice wasting their time to try and defraud a company.

All this of course only in case someone wants to make use of dwolla, other methods can still be as anonymous as it is atm and unchanged.

...In the land of the stale, the man with one share is king... >> Clipse

We pay miners at 130% PPS | Signup here : Bonus PPS Pool (Please read OP to understand the current process)
bitcon
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1008

View Profile
July 27, 2011, 01:58:30 PM

but it's my money, and i want it NOW.
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 27, 2011, 02:07:10 PM

this is an overstatement by a long shot.  remember this is an exchange, not a bank.  ppl move money in and move money out rather quickly for the exchange only.  no one is paid any interest like a bank therefore no one has an incentive to leave money there on a long term basis.  this is why exchanges don't make loans and are thus not "fractionally reserved" in the traditional sense.

i suppose if mtgox got defrauded lets say $35K (they did say less than TH), then yes, on an absolute basis they might be a bit short but considering they have hundreds of thousands in USD and BTC it won't be a problem.
kokojie
Legendary

View Profile
July 27, 2011, 02:43:19 PM

What other option is there for funding with a $0.25 fee? I'd take the 60 days rather than no funding options at all.

If thats the best option, simply dont allow dwolla. No business can operate by forcing clients to wait 60days, no clients would tolerate this either.

I think best approach if you want to use dwolla from now on then clients must verify themself with the normal legal bullshit ie. photo id, proof of residence, bank account statement etc etc. so would be scammers wouldnt even think twice wasting their time to try and defraud a company.

All this of course only in case someone wants to make use of dwolla, other methods can still be as anonymous as it is atm and unchanged.

Clipse

Activity: 504
Merit: 502

View Profile
July 27, 2011, 02:46:30 PM

What other option is there for funding with a $0.25 fee? I'd take the 60 days rather than no funding options at all.

You really think its practical if you want to trade to wait 60days ? Id rather pay $5 or $10 to be able to trade in less time than that but maybe its fine with you to wait 2 months to get in a good trade o_0

There is other funding options, tradehill just have to add it. Dwolla isnt the only alternative, just wait for tradehill to add other methods if this doesnt get resolved.

...In the land of the stale, the man with one share is king... >> Clipse

We pay miners at 130% PPS | Signup here : Bonus PPS Pool (Please read OP to understand the current process)
kokojie
Legendary

View Profile
July 27, 2011, 04:11:09 PM

For emergency trade, sure I can wire the money and pay the fee. But like my stock brokerage account, I usually keep money in there for years and don't deposit and withdrawal constantly, 60 days isn't a big deal to me, it's just an option to fund cheaply.

You really think its practical if you want to trade to wait 60days ? Id rather pay $5 or $10 to be able to trade in less time than that but maybe its fine with you to wait 2 months to get in a good trade o_0

There is other funding options, tradehill just have to add it. Dwolla isnt the only alternative, just wait for tradehill to add other methods if this doesnt get resolved.

dacoinminster
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1031

Rational Exuberance

View Profile WWW
July 27, 2011, 05:13:49 PM
Last edit: July 27, 2011, 06:49:03 PM by dacoinminster

[POLL] Will you reverse your Dwolla transactions?
http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=32354.0

If the results of this poll are accurate, there are more reversals coming. If I were running an exchange, I would disconnect my bank account from Dwolla ASAP, changing banks if necessary. Let Dwolla sleep in the bed they made.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: