Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 05:04:02 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why bitcoin isn't currency.  (Read 21363 times)
sublime5447 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 07:19:16 PM

Gold is a unit. It is definable in objective terms and is a constant.

greenlion

Activity: 667
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 07:32:42 PM

These kind of self-absorbed, sophormic, and intellectually-meritless conversations belong in a dorm room where dummies who just took an Introduction to Philosophy or Economics can smoke cannabis and make meaningless sounds with their mouths to impress their equally sheltered peers!
crumbs

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 07:48:52 PM

So out of all this rant:

Common slang for currency - money. End of story.

Money is the units of the measure of value that not only represent value but also have value. Examples would be gold,silver,oil, salt

Like the units of the measure of length that not only represent length but also have length. Examples would be inch worn, barleycorn, ruler, cubit

Currency is the units of the measure of value that has no value but represents value. Examples would be a promise, bitcoin, digits in a computer, bonds

Like the units of the measure of length that have no length themselves but represents length.    Examples would be  inch, meter, mile.

When we are talking about money we are talking about inch worms when we are talking about currency we are talking about inches. 

Not really.  When i ask a friend if he has any money (got twenty bucks?), i don't particularly care what form it's in -- if he has 20 one dollar bills, two tens, or a single twenty.  I'm looking for a specific value, not a specific number of bills.

If i needed tangible units (got any quarters?), i'm specifically interested in the physical tokens.

Not sure if you're interested in semantics & just want more precise definitions (in that case you seem to be widening them by calling oil "money"), or if i'm missing your point.
deisik
Legendary

Activity: 3458
Merit: 1280

English ⬄ Russian Translation Services

View Profile WWW
November 19, 2013, 08:02:27 PM

Gold is not a quantity.

"One ounce of gold" is a quantity. "One ounce of gold" is a unit.

So is "one BTC of bitcoin", though.

Maybe he was referring to gold being physical substance, thus being definable not only in abstract units ("one BTC of bitcoin") but also by some real "yardstick" (e.g. in units of weight)? Though this still doesn't make his stance on money more valid...  Cool

AnonyMint

Activity: 518
Merit: 521

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 08:06:25 PM

Gold is not a quantity.

Maybe he was referring to gold being physical substance, thus being definable not only in abstract terms ("one BTC of bitcoin") but also by some real "yardstick" (e.g. in terms of weight)? Though this still doesn't make his stance on money more valid...  Cool

What does make it more valid is the intrinsic value of bitCON is not as a currency, but as a speculative ponzi scheme. This is mathematically unarguable.

unheresy.com - Prodigiously Elucidating the Profoundly ObtuseTHIS FORUM ACCOUNT IS NO LONGER ACTIVE
deisik
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 19, 2013, 08:08:29 PM

What does make it more valid is the intrinsic value of bitCON is not as a currency, but as a speculative ponzi scheme. This is mathematically unarguable.

I didn't get your point, please expand more on this  Huh

crumbs

Activity: 210

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 08:13:13 PM
Last edit: November 19, 2013, 08:41:33 PM by crumbs

Gold is not a quantity.

Maybe he was referring to gold being physical substance, thus being definable not only in abstract terms ("one BTC of bitcoin") but also by some real "yardstick" (e.g. in terms of weight)? Though this still doesn't make his stance on money more valid...  Cool

The Bitcoin Wiki differentiates bitcoin from a Ponzi scheme thusly: "In a Ponzi Scheme, the founders persuade investors that they’ll profit. Bitcoin does not make such a guarantee."

Good enough for me.
deisik
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 19, 2013, 09:04:28 PM
Last edit: November 19, 2013, 09:39:28 PM by deisik

I'd say he's just plain old confused (or dishonest, but I'll apply Hanlon's razor on this one).

Yes, bitcoins are not physical substances. But that's not part of the definition of money or currency.

Strictly speaking, he is not even correct on the units which are defined by some physical metric. If we take his own example ("an inch is not real but it is definable"), it turns out that this very metric of space (length) is not constant but increasing with time through the expansion of the Universe (i.e. the scale of space itself is changed). So his inch is by no means fixed or definable... Grin

darkmule
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1005

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 02:33:02 AM

These kind of self-absorbed, sophormic, and intellectually-meritless conversations belong in a dorm room where dummies who just took an Introduction to Philosophy or Economics can smoke cannabis and make meaningless sounds with their mouths to impress their equally sheltered peers!

I agree.

Now quit bogarting that joint, motherfucker, and pass it.
junshong

Activity: 192

Hi!

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 02:52:28 AM

Kind of agree. The amount of people using it is what that affects the price.

sdp

Activity: 469
Merit: 281

View Profile WWW
November 21, 2013, 02:01:43 PM

+1
"Bitcoin is not a currency", the "US dollar is not a currency".  What rubbish.

Coinsbank: Left money in their costodial wallet for my signature.  Then they kept the money.
collapse

Activity: 206
Merit: 102

step forward

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 12:12:20 AM
Last edit: November 23, 2013, 12:31:07 AM by collapse

Bitcoin it's not money at 100%, because it's not fully portable, like gold, usd,eur, ..., requires Internet and specific software and hardware.

I am using "redhat" since 1998. In 2010 I tried it, but the error https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=319901 said NO,  in 2011 again NO, and in 2012 I built custom Openssl,..., 2013** error persist, legal problem in Openssl license.

Bitcoin could be cash, Internet FIAT cash that you can change for FIAT money or a better money, it's only part of money concept. But for the moment it's only speculative market with http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matthew_effect

**:https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1021898

Elacoin-ELC,Betacoin-BET,Neutroncoin-NTRN,Americancoin-AMC,Stronghands-SHND,Craftcoin-CRC,DOGE,BCH,BTC,...,Bitcoin,...(and a lot more)
Linux updated wallets (source code) for: ELC, BET, AMC, NKT, SLING, CRC,...
[if (blocknumber > 115000) maxblocksize=largerlimit]   [I don't think the threshold should ever be 0.  We should always allow at least some free transactions.]
deisik
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 23, 2013, 08:45:55 AM

Bitcoin it's not money at 100%, because it's not fully portable, like gold, usd,eur, ..., requires Internet and specific software and hardware.

Everything you said in the quoted part is fully applicable to any non-cash operations and payments... Grin
Would you call currency in non-cash circulation as being not 100% money? Cool

sublime5447 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 06:38:33 PM

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2013/04/bitcoin-is-no-longer-a-currency/274859/

It is not currency!
sublime5447 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 06:43:25 PM

There is no such thing as intrinsic value. The theory of intrinsic value says that value comes from the properties of the item. It is never the item that gives things value it is a construct of someone or somethings mind. 

When people talk about intrinsic value they are talking about objective market value. They are talking about things that are factually valuable.  The is only the subjective value of the individual and the objective value of the market. There is no such thing as intrinsic value. 
deisik
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 23, 2013, 06:45:04 PM
Last edit: November 23, 2013, 06:55:26 PM by deisik

Yeah, they said so in the news... Cool

sublime5447 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 06:48:48 PM

People are waking up to the realization it is not currency. When they realize that then they will say what is bitcoin? and the answer will be a digital collectible. 
deisik
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 23, 2013, 06:54:52 PM

There is no such thing as intrinsic value. The theory of intrinsic value says that value comes from the properties of the item. It is never the item that gives things value it is a construct of someone or somethings mind. 

When people talk about intrinsic value they are talking about objective market value . They are talking about things that are factually valuable. The is only the subjective value of the individual and the objective value of the market. There is no such thing as intrinsic value. 

What you call here (and there) as the subjective value of the individual has long been known under the name "utility", or rather marginal utility... Cool
The objective value of the market you refer to is known under the name "price", or rather relative price... Wink

BadBitcoin (James Sutton)
Donator

Activity: 452
Merit: 252

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 06:56:00 PM

prepare yourself

A bitcoin is the value of the total amount of labour done by computing devices over the duration from 2009 - 2140 to produce one of 21 million bitcoins.

this means that 1 bitcoin = 1/21million*(avg_total_mining_energy_consumption_per_year_converted_to_gold+mining_equipment_cost_per_year_converted_to_gold+miscellaneous_cost_per_year_converted_to_gold)*(131 years), and this has the units of gold weight in kg.
deisik
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 23, 2013, 06:59:28 PM

A bitcoin is the value of the total amount of labour done by computing devices over the duration from 2009 - 2140 to produce one of 21 million bitcoins.

this means that 1 bitcoin = 1/21million*(avg_total_mining_energy_consumption_per_year_converted_to_gold+mining_equipment_cost_per_year_converted_to_gold+miscellaneous_cost_per_year_converted_to_gold)*(131 years), and this has the units of gold weight in kg.

What you here refer to as the value of the total amount of labor is known as "cost", or unit cost  Grin

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: