Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 08:51:36 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: TradeHill - Why we no longer accept Dwolla and an open letter to Ben Milne  (Read 37470 times)
aq

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 27, 2011, 10:01:57 AM

I haven't seen any statement by Dwolla that they are now allowing chargebacks so my assumption is that they haven't identified why transactions are going from credited back to pending. 

They did respond, they stated they were investigating and would get back to Tradehill with clarification.

The right move for Tradehill would have been to remove Dwolla as a payment option for the time being and wait to hear back from them one way or another. 

Public statement about chargebacks (Bruce having that Dwolla guy at the phone):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88zTVzT2vL0&start=1745
That Dwolla guy at first denied that they have chargebacks, and later acknowledging they have and apologized for lying to Bruce.
So basically Dwolla was afraid telling TH that they do chargeback, exactly the same like PayPal, Visa, etc.
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
JoelKatz
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012

Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.

View Profile WWW
July 27, 2011, 10:16:29 AM

The right move for Tradehill would have been to remove Dwolla as a payment option for the time being and wait to hear back from them one way or another.
That's what they did. They also explained why they removed Dwolla as a payment option and alerted the community to a serious fraud risk. Big exchanges are not the only things that take Dwolla.

I am an employee of Ripple. Follow me on Twitter @JoelKatz
1Joe1Katzci1rFcsr9HH7SLuHVnDy2aihZ BM-NBM3FRExVJSJJamV9ccgyWvQfratUHgN
CryptoCommodity

Activity: 80
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 27, 2011, 10:30:44 AM

I can see the benefit of making the community aware that Dwolla transactions are reversable.  I still don't think Tradehill acted professionally and definitely hurt their chances of prevailing when this goes to court or arbitration.
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 27, 2011, 10:51:24 AM

Regarding Dwolla's facebook page: Do you guys think that a bomb of 10k postings from different facebook users there pointing to this thread would give them any chance to delete them?  Roll Eyes
That CAN be arranged! The 10k number can even be multiplied several times Wink
JoelKatz
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 27, 2011, 11:11:38 AM

Regarding Dwolla's facebook page: Do you guys think that a bomb of 10k postings from different facebook users there pointing to this thread would give them any chance to delete them?  Roll Eyes
That CAN be arranged! The 10k number can even be multiplied several times Wink
I would really like to see the bitcoin community to take the high road on this. We want to keep it easy for Dwolla to do the right thing and resolve this. (There's a huge market for $0.25 transactions. But they have to pass off their fraud costs. It can't work any other way.)

nmat

Activity: 602
Merit: 501

View Profile
July 27, 2011, 11:55:15 AM

Dwolla and CampBX are discussing a solution to the problem and everything seems to be going fine. MtGox is ok with this (I haven't heard anything from them). Why is TradeHill the only one being ignored? This doesn't make much sense to me...
JoelKatz
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 27, 2011, 12:04:52 PM

Dwolla and CampBX are discussing a solution to the problem and everything seems to be going fine. MtGox is ok with this (I haven't heard anything from them). Why is TradeHill the only one being ignored? This doesn't make much sense to me...
We don't know. Perhaps the scammers hit TradeHill first/hardest and Dwolla doesn't yet have an answer to whether they're going to reimburse them or come up with some excuse not to.

westkybitcoins
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: Compromised. Thanks, Android!

View Profile
July 27, 2011, 12:15:40 PM

Maybe MtGox and CampBX are just "experienced businessmen" and just know when to be discrete (as in just keeping their mouth shut, accepting a little fraud as part of the way business is done, and keeping everyone else—including customers—in the dark about it.)  Tongue

Why am I not terribly surprised?

Bitcoin is the ultimate freedom test. It tells you who is giving lip service and who genuinely believes in it.
In the future, books that summarize the history of money will have a line that says, “and then came bitcoin.” It is the economic singularity. And we are living in it now. - Ryan Dickherber
ATTENTION BFL MINING NEWBS: Just got your Jalapenos in? Wondering how to get the most value for the least hassle? Give BitMinter a try! It's a smaller pool with a fair & low-fee payment method, lots of statistical feedback, and it's easier than EasyMiner! (Yes, we want your hashing power, but seriously, it IS the easiest pool to use! Sign up in seconds to try it!)
The idea that deflation causes hoarding (to any problematic degree) is a lie used to justify theft of value from your savings.
Mistafreeze

Activity: 898
Merit: 284

View Profile
July 27, 2011, 12:21:06 PM

F.B Post regarding Dwolla's incident ?

Yup, they deleted my post. No more messages, nothing. I guess that's all the answer I needed.
makomk

Activity: 686
Merit: 564

View Profile
July 27, 2011, 02:51:39 PM

I get that part. I mean whats stoppiong TH from accepting through ACH?? Membership in some organization?  A license?
The fraud risk mostly, I think. ACH transactions are very definitely reversible and have a somewhat high fraud risk attached; if TradeHill were to start accepting them directly they'd be out a lot of money they'd never see again every time a fraudster used an ACH transfer from some random victim's bank account to buy bitcoins and transferred them out. (What's more, you're not going to find any payment method that's as cheap or easy that's not also reversible: non-reversible transactions require considerably more security, which costs both money and time.)

Dwolla seemed to offer a perfect solution: they appeared to swallow the substantial fraud risk associated with accepting ACH transfers for the low, low fee of $0.25 a transaction. Of course, if it sounds too good to be true it probably is.

Quad XC6SLX150 Board: 860 MHash/s or so.
SIGS ABOUT BUTTERFLY LABS ARE PAID ADS
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4564
Merit: 1276

View Profile
July 27, 2011, 03:24:31 PM

That seemed very odd to me as well.

As I hypothesized on another thread, perhaps there are NSL's involved.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Security_Letter

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
Jered Kenna (TradeHill) (OP)

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
July 27, 2011, 03:56:07 PM

Mt Gox confirmed some transactions have gone missing on IRC and possibly a post. exchangebitcoin.com confirmed it and isn't accepting Dwolla, Bitcoin7 isn't accepting Dwolla and I've been told they confirmed the chargebacks.

It's 100% possible that CampBX didn't receive any chargebacks. If I have to guess it's because they didn't have the open orders to justify defrauding 5k or they thought they would get caught faster with lower volume to hide in. If that's the case good for them. Dealing with fraud isn't fun. I'm assuming if they continue to accept Dwolla and nothing changes they will see fraud.

Jered

moneyandtech.com
@moneyandtech @jeredkenna
Rob Lister

Activity: 54
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 27, 2011, 04:05:35 PM

Mt Gox confirmed some transactions have gone missing on IRC and possibly a post. exchangebitcoin.com confirmed it and isn't accepting Dwolla, Bitcoin7 isn't accepting Dwolla and I've been told they confirmed the chargebacks.

It's 100% possible that CampBX didn't receive any chargebacks. If I have to guess it's because they didn't have the open orders to justify defrauding 5k or they thought they would get caught faster with lower volume to hide in. If that's the case good for them. Dealing with fraud isn't fun. I'm assuming if they continue to accept Dwolla and nothing changes they will see fraud.

Jered

Excuse the repeated question Jered, but did any of your customers lose money in this?  That's really the only concern I have.

View Profile WWW
July 27, 2011, 04:18:51 PM
Last edit: July 27, 2011, 04:31:29 PM by Jered Kenna (TradeHill)

Jered

Excuse the repeated question Jered, but did any of your customers lose money in this?  That's really the only concern I have.

Valid question, we are willing to pay out of our own pockets. Had this been higher and we couldn't cover it ourselves yes they would have.
If another exchange is down 50k 100k or 500k and can't afford it then they could go under and their (which a lot are also ours) customers will be hit hard.
It's possible that our mutual customers are going to lose money but it's too soon to say for sure.

To sum it up: We're not going to pass the fraud on to our customers like Dwolla has done. It stops with us because we will eat it if Dwolla doesn't do the right thing.

Jered

moneyandtech.com
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 27, 2011, 04:40:02 PM

Jered

Excuse the repeated question Jered, but did any of your customers lose money in this?  That's really the only concern I have.

Valid question, we are willing to pay out of our own pockets. Had this been higher and we couldn't cover it ourselves yes they would have.
If another exchange is down 50k 100k or 500k and can't afford it then they could go under and their (which a lot are also ours) customers will be hit hard.
It's possible that our mutual customers are going to lose money but it's too soon to say for sure.

To sum it up: We're not going to pass the fraud on to our customers like Dwolla has done. It stops with us because we will eat it if Dwolla doesn't do the right thing.

Jered

well thats laudable.
Danzou

Activity: 24

View Profile
July 27, 2011, 04:44:04 PM

So does Gox not even know how much it's in the hole for yet?

View Profile WWW
July 27, 2011, 04:47:31 PM

So does Gox not even know how much it's in the hole for yet?

He's going to have to speak for himself on that one. Could be a little or a hell of a lot.

moneyandtech.com

View Profile WWW
July 27, 2011, 05:02:39 PM

Excuse the repeated question Jered, but did any of your customers lose money in this?  That's really the only concern I have.
[/quote]

Let me also clarify.

We do not intend to pay for Dwolla's mistakes. Tradehill will not be responsible for the mistakes of others. We only take full responsibility for our own mistakes. Dwolla needs to make good with us and the community.

Dwolla has already refused to respond and only admitted in one email - right before we went public - that 'charge-backs' did/do occur. After which, they promptly changed their TOS on July 25th (the day we went public). Everyone knew they promoted and marketed 'no charge-backs' and this is what made them so attractive to Bitcion exchanges. Why? Because exchanges could credit customer accounts 'instantly' without the risk of loss. Note that none of this explains why transactions just disappear/appear on past statements. Gox, Bitcoin Exchange, and others have now stated they also found errors in Dwolla data.

If Dwolla does not cover the losses incurred from their inappropriate advertising and data inaccuracies, then we will take legal action. In the meantime, we will make good with our customers from our own pockets. We hope people realize what this means to us.

Adam  

moneyandtech.com
Rob Lister

Activity: 54

View Profile
July 27, 2011, 05:08:27 PM

If Dwolla does not cover the losses incurred from their inappropriate advertising and data inaccuracies, then we will take legal action. In the meantime, we will make good with our customers from our own pockets. We hope people realize what this means to us.

Adam  

Noted.  Thank you Adam.  Given the circumstances, I can't see how you could take any action other than to cover the trades surrounding this fiasco.  Still, the question had to be asked.
dacoinminster
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1031

Rational Exuberance

View Profile WWW
July 27, 2011, 05:17:01 PM

[POLL] Will you reverse your Dwolla transactions?
http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=32354.0

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: