Poll
Question: What is your sex?
Male - 417 (87.2%)
Female - 37 (7.7%)
Other - 24 (5%)
Total Voters: 477

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How do we get the women on board?  (Read 38362 times)
Blazr

Activity: 882
Merit: 1005

View Profile
October 07, 2012, 09:32:40 PM

I don't thing transgeder people would speak of themself as neither male or female.

They might consider themselves to be both male and female, or change regularly (male by day, female by night etc etc).

Anyways, we can see from this poll that not enough women are using Bitcoin. A shoe-shop accepting payment in Bitcoin would help.

According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Akka
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 07, 2012, 09:38:28 PM

To be realistic, the few women in here is only a symptom of where bitcoin is operating.

There are still about 90% Geeks here. (Which I count myself to)

It would be interesting how many % of the people here are not working in some kind of IT-Field, or study something IT related.

I think it's still less than 25%.

All previous versions of currency will no longer be supported as of this update
Topazan

Activity: 354
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 07, 2012, 09:43:39 PM

To be realistic, the few women in here is only a symptom of where bitcoin is operating.

It would be interesting how many % of the people here are not working in some kind of IT-Field, or study something IT related.

I think that's the main thing.  Bitcoin does well with two groups: technologists and libertarians.

Women are under-represented in both of these groups.  Figuring out why and what to do about it is probably beyond the scope of this forum.

Thus, I think we can expect the gender gap to shrink if-and-when bitcoin goes more mainstream.

Save the last bitcoin for me!
Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 3073

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
October 07, 2012, 09:47:45 PM

About 1,7% of humans are born hermaphrodites, we have over 5%.
Why is bitcoin so interesting for this gender?

Nice made up number.

0.033% to 0.05%

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intersexuality

https://nastyscam.com - landing page up     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming soon!
OGNasty has early onset dementia; keep this in mind when discussing his past actions.
bg002h
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1463
Merit: 1047

I outlived my lifetime membership:)

View Profile WWW
October 07, 2012, 09:59:25 PM

wow...we have about as many "others" as women...i'm betting 90% of those have a Y chromosome...

Hardforks aren't that hard. It’s getting others to use them that's hard.
1GCDzqmX2Cf513E8NeThNHxiYEivU1Chhe
Topazan

View Profile
October 07, 2012, 10:03:01 PM

I think that's the main thing.  Bitcoin does well with two groups: technologists and libertarians.

Women are under-represented in both of these groups.  Figuring out why and what to do about it is probably beyond the scope of this forum.

Thus, I think we can expect the gender gap to shrink if-and-when bitcoin goes more mainstream.

Couldn’t it be as simple as surveying women about what they want and providing it? Maybe it is as simple as shoes or makeup or maybe it’s something we would never think of but can be easily provided.
What would happen if you surveyed random men about what they wanted?  Most men aren't technologists, libertarians, or bitcoiners.

In order to get useful results, you'd have to find the women who would be one of these save for one thing, and that would imply you already know what that thing is.

Still, worth considering.  Might be nice to see a study about women where the author hasn't already made up her mind to blame the men for a change.

Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 3073

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
October 07, 2012, 10:08:21 PM

The sex of 20 of the people in the poll is other. lol

Wait, bitcoin has only 1% more women than hermaphrodites?

Other includes trans-gendered people, not just hermaphrodites.

"Other" also includes people who are just fucking with the poll.   Cool

https://nastyscam.com - landing page up     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming soon!
OGNasty has early onset dementia; keep this in mind when discussing his past actions.
bg002h
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1463
Merit: 1047

I outlived my lifetime membership:)

View Profile WWW
October 07, 2012, 10:16:43 PM

The sex of 20 of the people in the poll is other. lol

Wait, bitcoin has only 1% more women than hermaphrodites?

Other includes trans-gendered people, not just hermaphrodites.

"Other" also includes people who are just fucking with the poll.   Cool
and those messing with the poll are almost certainly guys...

Hardforks aren't that hard. It’s getting others to use them that's hard.
1GCDzqmX2Cf513E8NeThNHxiYEivU1Chhe
claire

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

Capitalism rocks my world.

View Profile
October 07, 2012, 11:15:54 PM

I liked the shoe shop idea. Handbags, cosmetics, etc would interest me although I'm also into technology and borderline Libertarian. You should have a whole group of women on board since one company pays their contractors who are mostly women in bitcoin. Again, I think it's the trust factor. Most women want to feel secure. Non-centralized money does not make them feel secure. There is a vicious rumor going around that people in bitcoin use the service for illegal things and this scares many of them. I've seen them mention it on twitter and why they won't take their pay with bitcoin.

I Love Bitcoin Smiley 1A5jmQcmZamhTeHaEZvtMEpoqrH2SECcxk
Phone Domination 888-221-0319
Akka
Legendary

View Profile
October 07, 2012, 11:19:04 PM

Nice made up number.

0.033% to 0.05%

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intersexuality

From the wiki article you linked to:

According to Fausto-Sterling's definition of intersex,[79] on the other hand, 1.7 percent of human births are intersex

Reading you own references helps.

Frequency

Activity: 540
Merit: 500

COINDER

View Profile WWW
October 07, 2012, 11:41:21 PM

I liked the shoe shop idea. Handbags, cosmetics, etc would interest me although I'm also into technology and borderline Libertarian. You should have a whole group of women on board since one company pays their contractors who are mostly women in bitcoin. Again, I think it's the trust factor. Most women want to feel secure. Non-centralized money does not make them feel secure. There is a vicious rumor going around that people in bitcoin use the service for illegal things and this scares many of them. I've seen them mention it on twitter and why they won't take their pay with bitcoin.

+++1   you could start SR women edition "high heels" put some sixpack guys for rent 

COINDER
COINDER
Topazan

View Profile
October 08, 2012, 02:40:07 AM

+++1   you could start SR women edition "high heels" put some sixpack guys for rent 
I'm not sure if new retailers will attract new bitcoiners, unless those retailers can offer something that the traditional retailers ones can't, the way SR does.

herzmeister
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
October 08, 2012, 10:29:09 AM

Saw this study today, seems relevant to this thread:

Also relevant to this thread: Women and free market  Smiley

https://localbitcoins.com/?ch=80k | BTC: 1LJvmd1iLi199eY7EVKtNQRW3LqZi8ZmmB
Spekulatius
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 08, 2012, 12:05:01 PM

Oh, oh! I got one  Grin

http://www.kleiderkreisel.de/

Every community we could convince to use bitcoin will bring in lots of women, especially if it is one that has a large female user base like "kleiderkreisel.de" (yeah sorry, its a German example, but Im sure there is something like that in every country).

kleiderkreisel is a community where users (mainly women) can present and sell their very own textile creations or second hand articles.
It is pretty well known and popular among my peers (co eds) and I believe bitcoin would work well with it (I think they have an in-house web of trust system) because all advantages of bitcoin as a payment system apply.
muyuu
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 08, 2012, 12:21:43 PM

Any more information about this study?

GPG ID: 7294199D - OTC ID: muyuu (470F97EB7294199D)
forum tea fund BTC 1Epv7KHbNjYzqYVhTCgXWYhGSkv7BuKGEU DOGE DF1eTJ2vsxjHpmmbKu9jpqsrg5uyQLWksM CAP F1MzvmmHwP2UhFq82NQT7qDU9NQ8oQbtkQ
Akka
Legendary

View Profile
October 08, 2012, 12:39:25 PM

When look at the outcome, I fear that's the kind of study where the result is already fixed and the questions are asked in the way to archive that goal.

HDSolar

Activity: 386

View Profile WWW
October 08, 2012, 03:54:37 PM

Bitcoins for shoes,  Grin

Get paid to be social and visit HypeWizard today!  www.hypewiz.com
AR-15 80% at www.uspatriotarmory.com
my Cryptanalys.is profile
crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
October 08, 2012, 04:50:21 PM

I think the lack of women is only due to the predominance of early technology IT adopters which are generally heavily skewed towards being male. As bitcoin spreads in popularity women will naturally join.

more or less retired.
n8rwJeTt8TrrLKPa55eU

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 08, 2012, 10:42:44 PM

Source:
http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2012/09/29/male-female-economists-differ/1583053/
julz
Legendary

Activity: 1092

View Profile
October 08, 2012, 11:32:28 PM

I'd like to know if the average age of female economists is lower than that of males. I suspect, given that there has been a gradual improvement in opening up fields of study to women over the decades, that this is so.
It might then be relevant to see if younger economists have different opinions to older ones - and whether this study took that into account.

@electricwings   BM-GtyD5exuDJ2kvEbr41XchkC8x9hPxdFd
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: