Poll
Question: What is your sex?
Male - 417 (87.2%)
Female - 37 (7.7%)
Other - 24 (5%)
Total Voters: 477

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How do we get the women on board?  (Read 38357 times)
Mistafreeze

Activity: 897
Merit: 284

View Profile
July 27, 2011, 08:56:47 PM

"Yes please" should've been an option in the pole.
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Jaime Frontero

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 27, 2011, 08:57:48 PM

It is my belief that the majority of bitcoin users are males. Females, please prove me wrong through the poll.

Moving on, assuming that my belief is correct, the question is how we get them on board?
In two words: less mysogyny.

this.

what a forum, in that regard.  all the economics and computer knowledge one could want...
im3w1l (OP)

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 27, 2011, 08:58:52 PM

How do we get the women on board?

Maybe we should get out from behind the computer and talk to a few... Wink I haven't said two words to my wife since I heard about bitcoin a couple months ago... Tongue

Where is this "out" you speak of? Sounds like paradise... Care to give me a link?
enmaku

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 27, 2011, 09:05:18 PM

My fiancee (yes, a woman) is working out the details of a somewhat more stylish bitcoin clothing line than the standard "white text on black shirt" we geeks seem so fond of and plans on offering the whole line for BTC. I had to help her get opencart working with the bitcoin plugin but otherwise she's done the whole mess herself. (she's geek enough for HTML/CSS but not for PHP... yet... give me time  Grin)

Of course she also shares my habit of starting far more projects than ever get finished so who knows if it'll actually happen. In any case, I have learned from her directly that women will not admit to lacking a Y chromosome on the internet, probably won't respond to these polls and if they do respond, will probably lie. I've seen firsthand what happens when women openly admit their gender in certain corners of the net, and I don't blame them.
im3w1l (OP)

View Profile
July 27, 2011, 09:14:41 PM

enmaku:
sounds like a great idea. push her to follow through Wink.

Regarding women being afraid to admit their true sex in the poll, the poll is anonymous.
Tasty Champa

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 27, 2011, 09:19:30 PM

gay dudes, sparkly things, dogs and sex toys, that's how you get women.
Women love gay dudes, sex toys, sparkly things and dogs.

so if you want women in bitcoins, get boutique fashion designers to only accept bitcoins.
Tasty Champa

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 27, 2011, 09:22:52 PM

I forgot shoes.

Women love shoes more than all of the above.

sell shoes 4 bitcoins.
Jaime Frontero

Activity: 126

View Profile
July 27, 2011, 09:26:50 PM

there really isn't a face-palm pic on the internet good enough for this thread.
elements

Activity: 182

View Profile
July 27, 2011, 09:35:12 PM

Make Zalando accept Bitcoin only and the revolution is nay!

»A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof was to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.« - Douglas Adams
Use the trusted German Bitcoin exchange: https://www.bitcoin.de/de/r/5wcwts
Tips & donations: BTC : 1MAQYNLp2VJ9wWhPYg5BnrbUGzdhGXopZw | CGB: 5bgQivyHJcSWTgvLfVW87Zj23M7mcFCVBF
jgraham

Activity: 140

<Pretentious and poorly thought out latin phrase>

View Profile
July 27, 2011, 09:44:13 PM

there really isn't a face-palm pic on the internet good enough for this thread.
this

I'm rather good with Linux.  If you're having problems with your mining rig I'll help you out remotely for 0.05.  You can also propose a flat-rate for some particular task.  PM me for details.
dub0matic

Activity: 182

View Profile
July 27, 2011, 09:47:14 PM

They are all playing WOW.  Shocked

make it rain haha
btc 176MrZ3CCXGb1GqFiGaoqQpaynzYqZsW6n
walidzohair

Activity: 184

View Profile
July 27, 2011, 09:53:28 PM

well .. originally most of the geeks are males .. and hence the creations. I am sorry to admit it but women are more practical than men. and that why we usually live in couples with them. so they produce our children and take care of us and them! Cheesy

and finally .. a very interesting question.... what the hell is (other) the third choice in your poll Huh do we have aliens using btc as well. sorry for the trannies and lesbos but yet they count themselves as men or women one way or (another)!
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
July 27, 2011, 09:54:37 PM

I am working on accepting bitcoins at my wife's boutique:

http://www.heidijosboutique.com

Unfortunately I set up the shop before taking Bitcoin into consideration so it will require some modification.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
Kermee

Activity: 154

View Profile
July 27, 2011, 10:19:10 PM

Unfortunately I set up the shop before taking Bitcoin into consideration so it will require some modification.

Nicely done & professional site.  If you added BTC's as a form of payment, I'd think it'd be the first on-line "Boutique"-style store that accepted BTC...

I can see the potential female customer now asking her significant other...

"But honey... It's only ฿8.92857143... Pretty PLEASE?!"

Wink

Sounds so much more inexpensive than $125.00 USD throwing in the psychological aspect of it...

Cheers,
Kermee
teknohog

Activity: 519
Merit: 252

View Profile WWW
July 27, 2011, 10:28:23 PM

My fiancee (yes, a woman) is working out the details of a somewhat more stylish bitcoin clothing line than the standard "white text on black shirt" we geeks seem so fond of and plans on offering the whole line for BTC.

Looking forward to this -- I'm a heterosexual guy and a geek who cares about his looks. (My FPGA miner has a matching blue heatsink.)

world famous math art | masternodes are bad, mmmkay?
Every sha(sha(sha(sha()))), every ho-o-o-old, still shines
im3w1l (OP)

View Profile
July 27, 2011, 10:32:40 PM

Nicely done & professional site.  If you added BTC's as a form of payment, I'd think it'd be the first on-line "Boutique"-style store that accepted BTC...

I can see the potential female customer now asking her significant other...

"But honey... It's only ฿8.92857143... Pretty PLEASE?!"

Wink

Sounds so much more inexpensive than $125.00 USD throwing in the psychological aspect of it...

Cheers,
Kermee

The decimals HAVE to go. They are everything that is wrong with bitcoin as it is now
timmey

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 27, 2011, 10:36:35 PM

My FPGA miner has a matching blue heatsink.
Now that's some dirty talk....tell me more! Cheesy

There are at least two women on this forum! One got a nice bitcoin tattoo and i saw another one that bought a bitcoin t-shirt and posted pictures! Please don't scare them away.
samr7

Activity: 140
Merit: 430

Firstbits: 1samr7

View Profile
July 27, 2011, 10:49:58 PM

100 private keys is probably NOT the way to go. It is complicated, and ugly (it could be an option but not standard(
Proposal: One private key should be standard. It should not be in hex, bas64, or anything else ugly. One thing that could work would be a sort of dictionary encoding, where every 20 bits or whatever is mapped to a word. The word in the dictionary would have to be carefully selected to be positive, or at least neutral. If this is chosen, there should be a "generate new address", so that people could click until they found one they were satisfied with.

I completely agree with the direction of your original post, and most of the ideas you present.

Regarding the idea of using a dictionary to map receiving addresses to words, it seems quite clever, maybe along the lines of how the Amazon payphrases are constructed.  For fun I tried implementing this using a spell check dictionary of about 500,000 mixed English words, with punctuated words removed.  My address:

1samr7UZxtC6MEAFHqr1h3Kq453xJJbe4

translated to:

Chaplinesque-stuccoworker-prevail-unadduced-gola-focalisation-fettlings-undependent-kulkarni-Canadian

The dictionary I used is broad and isn't limited to the emotional connotations you're looking for.  Creating such a dictionary will take a lot of people more than 10 minutes, and would be shorter, potentially requiring more words per address.  But whatever dictionary is selected, the choice would bind us to the locality that dictionary comes from, i.e. it would make bitcoin American-English centric.

So, is this any more palatable?
JeffK

Activity: 350

I never hashed for this...

View Profile
July 27, 2011, 10:55:02 PM

As a self-diagnosed sufferer of Asperger's syndrome who posts on forums about cryptocurrencies and has misogynistic tendencies due to my inability to view women as anything other than a two dimensional caricature based on modern media, I consider myself to be a professional on women.

Like the others in the thread, I believe all women are superficial and care only about shiny objects, clothing, other material goods, and things with matching colors.

I also agree that are too dumb and not selfish enough to grasp perfect idealogies like libertarianism, so here are my suggestions about how to get more women involved in Bitcoins:

Rename wallet.dat to purse.dat, maybe CoCoPurse.dat, women love purses!

Replace long Bitcoin addresses with short dictionary words, like "dog", or "house", or "sexinthecity". Women might be able to work with short words
ctoon6

Activity: 350
Merit: 251

View Profile
July 27, 2011, 10:59:50 PM

100 private keys is probably NOT the way to go. It is complicated, and ugly (it could be an option but not standard(
Proposal: One private key should be standard. It should not be in hex, bas64, or anything else ugly. One thing that could work would be a sort of dictionary encoding, where every 20 bits or whatever is mapped to a word. The word in the dictionary would have to be carefully selected to be positive, or at least neutral. If this is chosen, there should be a "generate new address", so that people could click until they found one they were satisfied with.

I completely agree with the direction of your original post, and most of the ideas you present.

Regarding the idea of using a dictionary to map receiving addresses to words, it seems quite clever, maybe along the lines of how the Amazon payphrases are constructed.  For fun I tried implementing this using a spell check dictionary of about 500,000 mixed English words, with punctuated words removed.  My address:

1samr7UZxtC6MEAFHqr1h3Kq453xJJbe4

translated to:

Chaplinesque-stuccoworker-prevail-unadduced-gola-focalisation-fettlings-undependent-kulkarni-Canadian

The dictionary I used is broad and isn't limited to the emotional connotations you're looking for.  Creating such a dictionary will take a lot of people more than 10 minutes, and would be shorter, potentially requiring more words per address.  But whatever dictionary is selected, the choice would bind us to the locality that dictionary comes from, i.e. it would make bitcoin American-English centric.

So, is this any more palatable?

I do not think i could remember all that. although i like hiding things, so i could hide all of them papers and put a number on each word. the number would construct a large number i have memorized and is important to me. so you would need to know where all the words are, and the number to put them in order.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: