Poll
Question: What is your sex?
Male - 417 (87.2%)
Female - 37 (7.7%)
Other - 24 (5%)
Total Voters: 477

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How do we get the women on board?  (Read 38354 times)
asdf

Activity: 527
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 29, 2011, 08:25:38 AM

Me rockin a shirt I helped design.  I'm an avid Bitcoin miner, hardware enthusiast, and mediocre as hell Starcraft2 player and even worse MW2 player.  And yeah I love shopping Tongue

Wow! You're that hot and a total computer geek!

It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
bitrebel

Activity: 364
Merit: 251

View Profile
July 29, 2011, 09:03:41 AM

The OP is out of the loop on this one.
Women are not logical minded like men. Therefore, Women do not care whether bitcoin or not exists. Women only care that men have what it takes to buy them the qualities of life they enjoy. If not, that they can get it for themselves. Men are the only ones who care about money, because we need it to buy material items and security for women. Duh!

Mind you all, I'm making a very general statement here. I love women who think for themselves. I know there are a few out there. I am with one. Praise you all.

Why does Bitrebel have 65+ Ignores?
Because Bitrebel says things that some people do not want YOU to hear.
Yuusha

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 29, 2011, 02:13:25 PM

Actually not as uncommon as one might think. I know several very, very attractive female computer geeks, of which one is my girlfriend.
NothinG

Activity: 560

View Profile
July 29, 2011, 03:00:34 PM

Actually not as uncommon as one might think. I know several very, very attractive female computer geeks, of which one is my girlfriend.
Mind pointing out a few more? Grin

Yuusha

View Profile
July 29, 2011, 03:05:09 PM

Haha, if you live in Sweden, maybe I can hook you up Wink Cheesy
NothinG

Activity: 560

View Profile
July 29, 2011, 03:26:16 PM

Haha, if you live in Sweden, maybe I can hook you up Wink Cheesy
Know anyone selling Airline Tickets?

dikidera

Activity: 126

View Profile
July 29, 2011, 03:34:17 PM

I wonder when the first bitcoin online sex shop's gonna open? I mean, girls would love that. Buying a toy anonymously.
BitMofo

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 29, 2011, 03:51:44 PM

Not impossible but still extremely uncommon in proportion to most female computer geeks!

1HNffyHktcD2iB6WJhPxKbALJdg4dwerTG
Yuusha

View Profile
July 29, 2011, 03:53:09 PM

I wonder when the first bitcoin online sex shop's gonna open? I mean, girls would love that. Buying a toy anonymously.
I've heard one already exists.

Not impossible but still extremely uncommon in proportion to most female computer geeks!
Really, all the female computer geeks I know are very attractive. But maybe that's a thing that only applies here in Sweden. Cheesy
wareen
Millionaire
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1001

Revolutionizing Brokerage of Personal Data

View Profile
July 29, 2011, 03:56:08 PM

You mean something like http://www.bitcoinsextoys.com Wink
Seems to have been around since December last year - amazing!

▄▄▀▀▄▄
    ▄▄▀▀▄▄██▄▄▀▀▄▄
▄▄▀▀▄▄█████▄████▄▄▀▀▄▄
█▀▀█▄█████████████
█▄▄████▀   ▀██████
███████     █▄████
█████▀█▄   ▄██████
█▄█████▌   ▐█████
█████▀█     ██████
██▄███████████████
▀▀▄▄▀▀█████▀████▀▀▄▄▀▀
    ▀▀▄▄▀▀██▀▀▄▄▀▀
        ▀▀▄▄▀▀
.PDATA..
TOKEN..
██
██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██
██
██
██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██
██
██
██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██
██
TELEGRAM     BITCOINTALK     FACEBOOK
MEDIUM    SLACK    TWITTER    YOUTUBE
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   E M A I L   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
██
██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██
██
dub0matic

Activity: 182

View Profile
July 29, 2011, 04:02:59 PM

You mean something like http://www.bitcoinsextoys.com Wink
Seems to have been around since December last year - amazing!

Lol there was a vib on newegg in the deals section yesturday it was mad lulz

make it rain haha
btc 176MrZ3CCXGb1GqFiGaoqQpaynzYqZsW6n
Mousepotato

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

Seal Cub Clubbing Club

View Profile
July 29, 2011, 04:10:26 PM

Me rockin a shirt I helped design.  I'm an avid Bitcoin miner, hardware enthusiast, and mediocre as hell Starcraft2 player and even worse MW2 player.  And yeah I love shopping Tongue

I'm jealous! I just have a pair of 6970s.  Tongue

I would LOVE to have some 6970s but they're wayyy out of my budg right now.  I had to settle for some 5870s and a 5850 I found off Craigslist. 

Mousepotato
Mousepotato

Seal Cub Clubbing Club

View Profile
July 29, 2011, 04:13:55 PM

lol thanks! I can't help it though.  Once I started playing WoW it was a downward spiral into the abyss of nerdville Tongue

Mousepotato
jgraham

Activity: 140

<Pretentious and poorly thought out latin phrase>

View Profile
July 29, 2011, 04:51:30 PM

So in your mind, because one potentially false stereotype fails, most stereotypes can't be false?  Outside the US there are plenty of stereotypes about Americans - are all those true?

If they hold any water, yes.

Too many people today are brainwashed by "political correctness".

Think about it RATIONALLY -- why do stereotypes refuse to die?

People make wrong assumptions based on stupidly small and biased samples.  You are a good example of this.  You don't know all stereotypes, in fact it's likely you only know a small fraction of stereotypes and that fraction is biased by geography and self-selection and generally poor education in statistics and/or logic (i.e. not understanding that even if most avid shoe shoppers are women does not imply that most women are avid shoe shoppers).  From this you have generalized that this says something about all stereotypes.  Not only that but I'd wager you probably don't know many of the true values (i.e. How many Americans really are X). 

So how do we cure someone of this?  That's actually a complicated question.  You seem to imply that as soon as a significant portion of the population exemplifies something contrary to the stereotype then people don't believe that.  For which there is plenty of evidence against.

For example racial intellectual stereotypes persisted even in the light of data to the contrary.  In some cases due to actual fudging of figures but in other cases it really does appear that these people sub-consciously misinterpreted results.  We have records of various experiments done where the results were either clearly ambiguous (favoring no race) or clearly in favor of some other race and their conclusion went actually counter to their own results.  So one reason bias persists is a kind of willful ignorance.

Another reason is that people avoid dissonance.  Especially people who have a lot invested in an idea.  For example, people who believed that the world was going to be destroyed and they were going to be rescued by aliens.  When the prophecy didn't come true their leader prophesied that they had been spared and given another chance to save the world.  Clearly the evidence was either in favor of the idea that the world was never really going to end or at least at parity with it. What did most of the believers do? The chose to believe that they have been given a second chance.

A third reason is that a lot of stereotypes are phrased in a way that is either unfalsifiable or infeasible to falsify. I think one poster below stated that women aren't as logical as men.  If you met one logical woman would that be enough to stop the belief?  No, because it's asserting what "most" people are like not all.  However given that the person in question will never meet "most women" let alone engage the subset of women he/she does meet in some kind of discussion which can readily deduce if they are "logical" or not relative to "men".  The person can, keep their stereotype pretty much forever.

We make all kinds of assumptions all day, every day. You don't always have the time for a fair, objective, in-depth analysis of everything.

The far, far, far, far more rational approach is to simply believe that one rarely has the information to make certain generalizations.  This isn't political correctness, it's just math.

I'm sorry, but if were a hiring manager, and there were three people applying for a software engineering job, named Amanda Jones, Deshawn White, and Wolfgang Wattenburg, and I didn't have access to any information than their names, I'd probably do the "un-PC" thing and choose the German-sounding guy. True, he might be the one exception to the stereotype, and the female might be particularly good at programming -- but it's usually smart to go with the odds.

Again, this is a good point about how you suck at math.  Your assumption is based on the population distribution of software developers.  However that is only useful as long as the sample is random.  i.e. picking someone at random from a population.   A male is more likely to be part of a profession that is predominately male than a female.  However job applicants are self-selected so the distribution no longer applies.  Given it's highly likely that the vast majority of applicants to a software development position are software developers (especially if it's not an entry level job) My sample is less than 1% of application are completely out-of-field.  The likelihood is that all three are software developers of some kind.

So from there it's a question of ability not if they are developers or not

And remember -- the exception proves the rule.

Normally, I'd deconstruct that to show what a bizarre statement it is.

Just because you can show me a single female computer programmer will not cause me to throw my hands in the air and say, "You're right, there's no pattern. Programmers are male and female." No, you merely showed me an exception, which is remarkable because it's an exception to the rule.
Perfect example of how you can keep your prejudice as long as you like.

I'm rather good with Linux.  If you're having problems with your mining rig I'll help you out remotely for 0.05.  You can also propose a flat-rate for some particular task.  PM me for details.
jgraham

Activity: 140

<Pretentious and poorly thought out latin phrase>

View Profile
July 29, 2011, 04:54:39 PM

and mediocre as hell Starcraft2 player
Then we should definitely play SC2.

I'm rather good with Linux.  If you're having problems with your mining rig I'll help you out remotely for 0.05.  You can also propose a flat-rate for some particular task.  PM me for details.
GeniuSxBoY

Activity: 616

View Profile
July 29, 2011, 04:56:18 PM

just wait 20 years... this is what you'll look like

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Be humble!
arnoldrimmer

Activity: 358
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 29, 2011, 05:20:15 PM

A old Friend did just sent me this http://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=236501879714968&id=192773887421101

she is blank and needs Money

► HackenAI ◄  ♦ HackenAI - Personal Cybersecurity Application ♦  ► HackenAI ◄
───●❀●───●❀●───●❀●───●❀●───●❀●─[   Bounty Detective   ]─●❀●───●❀●───●❀●───●❀●───●❀●───
Facebook◂ | ▸Twitter◂ | ▸Medium◂ | ▸Reddit◂ | ▸Telegram◂ | ▸Whitepaper
kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1024

View Profile
July 29, 2011, 05:33:27 PM

People make wrong assumptions based on stupidly small and biased samples.  You are a good example of this.  You don't know all stereotypes, in fact it's likely you only know a small fraction of stereotypes and that fraction is biased by geography and self-selection and generally poor education in statistics and/or logic (i.e. not understanding that even if most avid shoe shoppers are women does not imply that most women are avid shoe shoppers).  From this you have generalized that this says something about all stereotypes.  Not only that but I'd wager you probably don't know many of the true values (i.e. How many Americans really are X). 

This one paragraph wins.  It is so full of stereotypes about people that believe in stereotypes that I imagine you must have been smirking in irony as you typed it.

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
wallet.dat

Activity: 253
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 29, 2011, 05:38:00 PM

just wait 20 years... this is what you'll look like

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

I'm not sure whether I'd be scared or look forward to being Bill Gates haha

"MOOOOOOOM! THE MEATLOAF!!! F**K!"
Mousepotato