Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 11:36:18 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: rpietila public diary -- Episode II  (Read 40762 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
bitrider

Activity: 233
Merit: 101

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 04:31:33 PM

And the journey continues...Thank you, Risto. Well done.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
2dogs
Legendary

Activity: 1267
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 06:18:32 PM

If you are heavy in bitcoin, and especially if this is your first bubble, I would ask you to consider if you still feel good if the price goes to $0.3 or $0.4. Otherwise it might be a time to sell a fraction of the holdings now at the record prices.

For those new in bitcoin, this is a very good time to enter with experimental/speculative funds, and buy more when the price goes down.

I do not suggest daytrading bitcoin to anyone: like all speculative markets, it is heavily manipulated, you pay fees, waste valuable time playing a zero-sum game and generally end up on the losing side of the trade. Optimally you only accumulate bitcoin until you have enough (never sell), and once you have enough, you gradually start to sell/buy things with it (and never buy back coins). This minimizes the problems outlined above.

Thank you for all the wonderful community and contributors! Smiley

Thanks, rpietila - wise words, indeed!

AnonyMint

Activity: 518
Merit: 521

View Profile
December 16, 2013, 07:13:46 PM

Another photo update on the typhoon donations.

This was the family from northern bohol whose home collapsed during the recent Bohol earthquake, then was battered by the typhoon also.

The $500 donated funds are rebuilding their home as shown.

You can see the damaged wall and the mangled steel rebar.

unheresy.com - Prodigiously Elucidating the Profoundly ObtuseTHIS FORUM ACCOUNT IS NO LONGER ACTIVE
outofservice

Activity: 70
Merit: 11

View Profile
December 16, 2013, 07:36:33 PM

Another photo update on the typhoon donations.

This was the family from northern bohol whose home collapsed during the recent Bohol earthquake, then was battered by the typhoon also.

The $500 donated funds are rebuilding their home as shown.

You can see the damaged wall and the mangled steel rebar.

I've been to Bohol, stayed in Alona Beach. Beautiful island, laid-back, fun and great diving!
If I wasn't broke (went a little to crazy this yr for christmas) I'd like to donate as well.

Are you donating directly or though an organization? If I was to donate it would have to be direct, I don't trust organizations, they skim and rob the funds.
AnonyMint

View Profile
December 16, 2013, 08:05:39 PM

Are you donating directly or though an organization? If I was to donate it would have to be direct, I don't trust organizations, they skim and rob the funds.

I am distributing directly to needy based on my individual evaluations of need, some donations from Risto and those Risto received from others.

Although it appears I was unable to distribute all of the donations and will be returning 2/3 of them.

unheresy.com - Prodigiously Elucidating the Profoundly ObtuseTHIS FORUM ACCOUNT IS NO LONGER ACTIVE
AnonyMint

View Profile
December 18, 2013, 09:56:15 PM

Our most substantial photo update on the typhoon donations.

The is the Masbate beach house made of concrete but entirely lost the roof. Now thanks to the donations, they have shiny brand new roof and can move back into the house. Congrats to donators we have clear win here!

BitDreams

Activity: 503
Merit: 501

View Profile
December 20, 2013, 12:34:58 AM

Powerful testament to Bitcoin and its supporters.
Apraksin

Activity: 420
Merit: 251

Moon?

View Profile
December 20, 2013, 11:20:08 AM

Been some splendid reading, Eagerly awaiting episode III.
AnonyMint

View Profile
December 20, 2013, 09:20:23 PM
Last edit: December 20, 2013, 09:55:59 PM by AnonyMint

Here is relief distributed to those in Naval, Biliran (2 hours drive over bridge from the Tacloban news epicenter) for those in the pictures of destruction I had shared upthread. The lady and her mother are doing this distribution for me, as shown in the photos where her Mom is handing out the rice. Also see we have another new roof being installed. I think you can see some of the culture of close community "togetherness" in these photos.

This does not include the two completely destroyed houses in Biliran hopefully being partially rebuilt, which were different recipients.

I had stalled further distribution of BTC because I needed to see results that match the 11-12 BTC already distributed. I am starting to see results, but insufficient thus far on the aggregate. Nevertheless some laudable results thus far.

thoughtfan

Activity: 784
Merit: 506

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 02:35:43 PM

May I draw to the attention of the astute minds who frequent this topic to a challenge I am posting on reddit: that of making Bitcoins a feasible solution to remittances on the Philippines?
vokain
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1019

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2014, 03:20:30 PM

May I draw to the attention of the astute minds who frequent this topic to a challenge I am posting on reddit: that of making Bitcoins a feasible solution to remittances on the Philippines?

Answer: p2p
AnonyMint

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 05:21:38 AM

More typhoon donations photos from Leyte

I don't know why some of the photos upthread are not displaying. You can quote the messages and get the links and load them into your browser to see them.

dopey

Activity: 1008
Merit: 514

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 08:15:41 PM

This thread made my day!

I really respect what you guys are doing. Please keep up the great work:)
AnonyMint

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 04:18:40 AM
Last edit: January 28, 2014, 04:30:13 AM by AnonyMint

Update on the situation in Tacloban. I am in communication now with people there.

There is no power at night. Mostly still using generators, so expensive to just charge the battery on the cell phone. Fuel is 7 - 10 times higher in price than else where in the country. Food is still scarce and expensive. Internet access is so slow to be basically unusable.

The political fighting between the Aquino and Marcos clans continues (Samar and Leyte are historically Imelda's territory). This is apparently the reason there wasn't much development on those two islands as compared to Cebu. Ditto Zamboanga and Cotabato, but different political clans and also the Muslim issue.

In addition to the Bohol earthquake and the Pablo devastation of eastern Mindanao at end of 2012, this month we had a low pressure area and tropical depression over eastern Mindanao for 2 weeks of nearly non-stop rain. Thus more devastation due to flooding and mudslides. People were unable work, more crops destroyed.

Many people are dying from these conditions which are not reported in the 6000+ figure of deaths from Yolanda which itself continues to grow by 3 bloated bodies found per day in Tacloban alone. One lady text me today to say her father died in Samar last night. They can't obtain their usual diet of vegetables and fish. The fuel is too expensive and the boats are destroyed.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10]  All
  Print  

Jump to: