Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 12:41:04 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Electrum 1.9 released  (Read 15910 times)
btcven

Activity: 715
Merit: 500

Bitcoin Venezuela

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2013, 11:09:49 PM

* please make "add to contacts" an Option the context menu in the history tab

Wallet > New Contact

Admin: rdymac (PGP) | contacto@bitcoinvenezuela.com | @cafebitcoin | Electrum, lightweight bitcoin client
If I've been helpful tip me a coffee! Cheesy1rdymachKZpA9pTYHYHMYZjfjnoBW6B3k Bitrated user: rdymac.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
prof7bit

Activity: 938

https://youengine.io/

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2013, 11:39:45 AM

* please make "add to contacts" an Option the context menu in the history tab

Wallet > New Contact
yes, but doing it with a single click instead of having to switch around and copy paste would be easier. There is already a context menu with some items for things to do with the transaction like "show details" etc. and "add to contacts" would naturally belong in there too. Maybe I should submit a pull request.

prof7bit

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2013, 11:42:42 AM

A few suggestions:
* please make it add the contact automatically when sending
It already does this.

Then I have found a bug because it did NOT do it. Otherwise I would not have had an empty contacts list after my last outgoing transaction.

ThomasV (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1896
Merit: 1353

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2013, 11:48:41 AM

yes, but doing it with a single click instead of having to switch around and copy paste would be easier.
I agree

Electrum: the convenience of a web wallet, without the risks
prof7bit

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2013, 12:21:43 PM

A few suggestions:
* please make it add the contact automatically when sending
It already does this.

Then I have found a bug because it did NOT do it. Otherwise I would not have had an empty contacts list after my last outgoing transaction.

Here is some more information:

* I had experimented with creating new empty wallets, restoring from seed, etc and then deleted the additional wallets again. Maybe at this time i also accidentally deleted the old contacts list which had contained exactly one entry, namely "MtGox"?

* then the next day I saw that 1.9.4 was available, I installed 1.9.4 over 1.9.2 with pip as described on the download page.

* I started electrum, everything was fine, my wallet and transactions showed up normally, the only outgoing transaction was still labeled "MtGox" but my contacts were empty!

* Then I made another transaction to the same address and labeled it identically "MtGox" and it did not add MtGox to the contacts list, contacts was still empty, however it showed up as "MtGox" in the history list. Could this be because it first checked the existing address labels in the history instead of checking the contacts list for existence of this address/label and then decided to not add it? IMHO It should add it to the contacts list if its not in the contacts list already and not use the existing history labels for this decision.

sdp

Activity: 469
Merit: 280

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2013, 12:29:50 PM

Please add HTTPS support to the download page of electrum. (download.electrum.org)

Or just only for the PGP signature of the downloads and the developers.
+1

Good idea.  All software should be downloaded with https or at least have PGP signatures.  All devs should subscribe to Security Now (Podcast).

A bit problematic though, arguably a man in the middle, MIM, attacker could give a false public PGP key.  The devs public keys should be distributed over https.  There is also an issue in switching from http to https.

[quote SecurityNow Episode 403]
The problem is that they're initially able to make a connection that is not secure, and a man in the middle could, and we've talked about this before, could arrange to strip off the HTTPS outbound query, changing it to HTTP in order to still try to make the service usable.
[/quote]

So a MIM attacker that sees index.html over http could change the https links to http.  So, instead of downloading the PGP key over https it will come down over http which could actually be any key the attacker wants to substitute, such as one he creates himself.  This holds for signatures too as well as the binaries and that could be modified to be a trojan horse.

sdp

Coinsbank: Left money in their costodial wallet for my signature.  Then they kept the money.
tandit

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 06:17:21 AM

I entered my master public key on a separate internet connected computer to create a watching only wallet, but if I right click on a public address and click on "private key", I can see the address's private key without it asking me for my password.  Am I wrong or is this in effect no different than having an unencrypted wallet? If someone could hack into my computer, they could see the private keys for all my addresses.  Until this is clarified, I have transferred all my funds out of electrum wallets for the time being (though electrum is otherwise great).

Does this happen to anyone else?
ThomasV (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 15, 2013, 06:23:40 AM

I entered my master public key on a separate internet connected computer to create a watching only wallet, but if I right click on a public address and click on "private key", I can see the address's private key without it asking me for my password.  Am I wrong or is this in effect no different than having an unencrypted wallet? If someone could hack into my computer, they could see the private keys for all my addresses.  Until this is clarified, I have transferred all my funds out of electrum wallets for the time being (though electrum is otherwise great).

I guess you are talking about the wallet that has your seed (not the watching-only wallet), and that you forgot to encrypt it.
just add a password..

or maybe you selected 'restore from seed' and typed your master public key there

tandit

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 06:39:57 AM

I entered my master public key on a separate internet connected computer to create a watching only wallet, but if I right click on a public address and click on "private key", I can see the address's private key without it asking me for my password.  Am I wrong or is this in effect no different than having an unencrypted wallet? If someone could hack into my computer, they could see the private keys for all my addresses.  Until this is clarified, I have transferred all my funds out of electrum wallets for the time being (though electrum is otherwise great).

I guess you are talking about the wallet that has your seed (not the watching-only wallet), and that you forgot to encrypt it.
just add a password..

or maybe you selected 'restore from seed' and typed your master public key there

Nope.  It is my watching-only wallet on a computer that has never had a hot wallet on it.  I even erased the watching only wallet, reentered my MPK and it still happens.  However, I compared the private keys shown on the watching-only wallet to the cold storage wallet the private keys are different.  Could a dev or someone explain what is going on?  Does this mean I am okay?
ThomasV (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 15, 2013, 06:49:40 AM

just add a password..

Nope.  It is my watching-only wallet on a computer that has never had a hot wallet on it.  I even erased the watching only wallet, reentered my MPK and it still happens.  However, I compared the private keys shown on the watching-only wallet to the cold storage wallet the private keys are different.  Could a dev or someone explain what is going on?  Does this mean I am okay?

you definitely selected 'restore from seed' instead of 'restore from master public key', and typed your master public key there

tandit

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 06:55:21 AM

just add a password..

Nope.  It is my watching-only wallet on a computer that has never had a hot wallet on it.  I even erased the watching only wallet, reentered my MPK and it still happens.  However, I compared the private keys shown on the watching-only wallet to the cold storage wallet the private keys are different.  Could a dev or someone explain what is going on?  Does this mean I am okay?

you definitely selected 'restore from seed' instead of 'restore from master public key', and typed your master public key there

No I definitely didn't either time, both times it said "watching only wallet" after it was created, and I can only create unsigned transactions.  Let's just take my word for it that I entered it in the correct place, what should be happening when I click on private key?  I'm on OSX Mavericks if that is of any help.
btcven

Bitcoin Venezuela

View Profile WWW
November 15, 2013, 07:52:38 AM

just add a password..

Nope.  It is my watching-only wallet on a computer that has never had a hot wallet on it.  I even erased the watching only wallet, reentered my MPK and it still happens.  However, I compared the private keys shown on the watching-only wallet to the cold storage wallet the private keys are different.  Could a dev or someone explain what is going on?  Does this mean I am okay?

No I definitely didn't either time, both times it said "watching only wallet" after it was created, and I can only create unsigned transactions.  Let's just take my word for it that I entered it in the correct place, what should be happening when I click on private key?  I'm on OSX Mavericks if that is of any help.

I'm on Mavericks and I can't reproduce what you are seeing. I've created a fresh wallet, then restore from its MPK and it doesn't appear to have the private key option as expected.

Then restore using the MPK entering it in the seed section and got a different set of a addresses, that obviously carries privkeys.

Admin: rdymac (PGP) | contacto@bitcoinvenezuela.com | @cafebitcoin | Electrum, lightweight bitcoin client
If I've been helpful tip me a coffee! Cheesy1rdymachKZpA9pTYHYHMYZjfjnoBW6B3k Bitrated user: rdymac.
tandit

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 03:38:21 PM
Last edit: November 15, 2013, 04:14:09 PM by tandit

just add a password..

I'm on Mavericks and I can't reproduce what you are seeing. I've created a fresh wallet, then restore from its MPK and it doesn't appear to have the private key option as expected.

Then restore using the MPK entering it in the seed section and got a different set of a addresses, that obviously carries privkeys.

That is so odd.  When I create the watching-only wallet, I get the correct set of addresses.  What should I do?    
neotenie

Activity: 45
Merit: 3

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 05:58:17 PM

Hi dear people,

is it possible to update electrum from 1.7 to 1.9?
I mean, I'm a bit afraid of downloading a new version and not knowing how to transfer my wallet there.

If there is no other options than anew download, do I have to delete the old version first?

Basically I would not touch anything if I didn't have any problems but I have: the application is stucked on synchronizing so I cannot do anything.

So question 1: would a new version solve my problem?
question 2: how do I process, "step by step".

I'm on a mac book with lion.
THANKS,
Neotenie
Tachikoma

Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
November 15, 2013, 06:28:41 PM

Step 1. Download the Application from the website and drag it to your applications folder.
Step 2. You are done.

Smiley

Electrum: the convenience of a web wallet, without the risks | Bytesized Seedboxes BTC/LTC supported
neotenie

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 07:12:41 PM

Thanks Tashikoma,

to be clear:

when prompted when dragging the new software to the application folder with "replace with the new one or keep both" I shall choose to replace the old one, yes?
Will the program recognize my wallet automatically?

Greets,
Neotenie
btcven

Bitcoin Venezuela

View Profile WWW
November 16, 2013, 09:07:58 AM

Thanks Tashikoma,

to be clear:

when prompted when dragging the new software to the application folder with "replace with the new one or keep both" I shall choose to replace the old one, yes?
Will the program recognize my wallet automatically?

Greets,
Neotenie

Replace / overwrite

Tachikoma, you never expected that Cheesy

neotenie

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 02:12:38 PM

Hi people,
I didn't get the insider joke but thanks!
Neotenie
OleOle

Activity: 532

Are you like these guys?

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 02:43:39 PM

Hi people,
I didn't get the insider joke but thanks!
Neotenie

The only insider joke I'm interested in is "the new version of Electrum is working perfectly and safe for everyone to download".

Wait... is that a joke?  Cheesy

I'm hoping it's not a joke, this upgrade has gone on far too long and I'm getting somewhat bored looking at the arcana on this thread.

Best of luck with the upgrade though, I'll check back in to see if 1.9.4 is actually gonna fly or whether people looking for a best-of-breed straightforward wallet like Electrum 1.8.1 are still expected to become involved in its development and testing.

Undecided

Abdussamad
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 1560

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 02:44:52 PM
Last edit: November 16, 2013, 04:12:49 PM by Abdussamad

Is it possible to increase the gap limit manually by editing the wallet file or is that unsafe? I am running out of free addresses and would rather not resort to a php script to generate more from my mpk.

edit: What I've tried so far without success:

- Tried an electrum.conf file https://github.com/spesmilo/electrum/blob/9ce90932ba6ca7f474f1d7bbae08bffaf28d842e/electrum.conf.sample

- Tried the -G command line switch. This works when creating new wallets but not with old ones.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: