Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 12:48:27 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Network Attack on XVG / VERGE  (Read 29434 times)
COMONMAN

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 08, 2018, 03:08:25 PM
Last edit: April 08, 2018, 07:23:39 PM by COMONMAN

Probably be the first and last time I post here, but hasn't really been mentioned much after reading all 40 something pages.

You realize the ONLY reason you guys are talking about Verge is because some kid named Peter from Austin, TX (allegedly) who goes by the name of @XVGWhaleReal, actually posted screenshots (this was Christmas Eve, Dec. 2017) of his text conversation with McAfee, discussing his paying $100k for McAfee to tweet about Verge.

Then when the MC of Verge blew up bigger than they could have imagined, McAfee got enraged and demanded more money, or else he was going to destroy them.  (it wasn't those actual words, but it was still some grandiose shit indicative of megalomania - and funny to boot!)

Peter claimed his account was hacked, and then started this one: https://twitter.com/XVGWhaleReal/

Explained better than I can, here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-9ZLQpZwZg

*edit* This Peter.  The one in this video talking about meeting Sunerok around the time of the McAfee tweet and bragging about the money he made.  A bumpkin in his pajamas blew up a coin to a MC of over $1B.   I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry:  https://youtu.be/A6FfK5v4dqM

BIGGEST DEAL IN CRYPTO MOTHERFUCKERS!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
cryptaxo

Activity: 420
Merit: 103

View Profile
April 08, 2018, 03:24:28 PM

Probably be the first and last time I post here, but hasn't really been mentioned much after reading all 40 something pages.

You realize the ONLY reason you guys are talking about Verge is because some kid named Peter from Austin, TX (allegedly) who goes by the name of @XVGWhaleReal, actually posted screenshots (this was Christmas Eve, Dec. 2017) of his text conversation with McAfee, discussing his paying $100k for McAfee to tweet about Verge.

Then when the MC of Verge blew up bigger than they could have imagined, McAfee got enraged and demanded more money, or else he was going to destroy them.  (it wasn't those actual words, but it was still some grandiose shit indicative of megalomania - and funny to boot!)

Peter claimed his account was hacked, and then started this one: https://twitter.com/XVGWhaleReal/

Explained better than I can, here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-9ZLQpZwZg

I was wondering where did this XVG came from to be at such a high market cap, now i understand that its Mcafee behind all that hype... my goodness.
Slemicek

Activity: 139
Merit: 11

View Profile
April 08, 2018, 03:35:35 PM
Merited by muf18 (1)

Then when the MC of Verge blew up bigger than they could have imagined, McAfee got enraged and demanded more money, or else he was going to destroy them.  (it wasn't those actual words, but it was still some grandiose shit indicative of megalomania - and funny to boot!)

Little chronological  summary.

-Undelivered half of June 2017 roadmap
-Wraith (stealth adressesing) hype for half year as game changing tech, even with fake countdown website
-Coinpouchapp 134millions xvg hack
-McAfee paid tweet pump
-official xvg Twitter account and main dev Twitter account hacked
- announcement of mysterious "deal of century" partnership, collected 75millions xvg, 60millions from Tokenpay ICO where main XVG dev is team member
-successful 51% attack on xvg blockchain, lost tens of millions xvg
-unintentionally hardforked

WHAT A TIMELINE.
Solid project.
lovewatchingfilm

Activity: 98

View Profile
April 08, 2018, 03:36:44 PM

Has anything news updated? I wanna follow this project
BillionDollarMan

Activity: 210
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 08, 2018, 04:38:25 PM

-Wraith (stealth adressesing) hype for half year as game changing tech, even with fake countdown website
-McAfee paid tweet pump
- announcement of mysterious "deal of century" partnership, collected 75millions xvg, 60millions from Tokenpay ICO where main XVG dev is team member

WHAT A TIMELINE.
Solid project.

Soon to be added partnershipgate lol
Febo
Legendary

Activity: 2730
Merit: 1288

View Profile
April 08, 2018, 07:04:22 PM

-McAfee paid tweet pump

WHAT A TIMELINE.
Solid project.

Actually that wraith was announced first much earlier then half year ago.  That is what they live on. On hype. But is just strange why when no delivering. And he never actually deliver people dont see he is lying.  That is only thing I realy realy dont understand here.
coinfoundry

Activity: 292
Merit: 100

Miningcore

View Profile WWW
April 08, 2018, 07:05:49 PM

Both of Coinfoundry's Verge pools have been re-opened for a trial-run. We'll see how it goes. Should we ever experience the same or similar crap as during the past four days, the pools will close for good.

https://coinfoundry.org/pool/xvg1
https://coinfoundry.org/pool/xvg2

Miningcore.pro - Stress-Free, Reliable Crypto Mining. Period.
Slemicek

View Profile
April 08, 2018, 07:37:11 PM

-McAfee paid tweet pump

WHAT A TIMELINE.
Solid project.

Actually that wraith was announced first much earlier then half year ago.  That is what they live on. On hype. But is just strange why when no delivering. And he never actually deliver people dont see he is lying.  That is only thing I realy realy dont understand here.

I was in Verge team when Wraith protocol was "invented" by M.Stolaire at those times. The name was intentionally picked to be catchy and proclaimed to be some sort of new tech. Then it was hyped properly. Noobs don't bother what tech it does, McAfee tweets, noobs see price under $, see price of Bitcoin over 15k$ and buy and fomo others. Same now. Xvg net attacked, main dev writes in telegram and other channels its normal and that's it. Fanatic comunity  just say nothing happened. Now the hype with partnership is steaming and nobody cares about attack.
“ Speculation :that partnership gonna be very probably with German Bank and they will release xvg debit cards. Imagine Verge chain being attacked in future, how you will pay with such card. Useless. And I'm not even talking about that when I was in team dev said xvg will NEVER partnership with bank, ever. Because it is anonymous, decentralized currency.“
W/e. he lies so often, that it does not matter what he says. One of the reason I left team after June, July, August roadmap kept postponing and stayed undelivered without explanation to us as a team or to comunity.
mine_phun

Activity: 208

View Profile WWW
April 08, 2018, 08:58:14 PM
Last edit: April 08, 2018, 09:12:13 PM by mine_phun

“ Speculation :that partnership gonna be very probably with German Bank and they will release xvg debit cards. Imagine Verge chain being attacked in future, how you will pay with such card. Useless. And I'm not even talking about that when I was in team dev said xvg will NEVER partnership with bank, ever. Because it is anonymous, decentralized currency.“

I have been out of this topic as pool operator of NLPool.NL because as pool operator you have to be neutral with your opinion i think. That's something up to the miners, not us.

However, this argument you make here is not making any sense. My bank, and also many more here in this country get D-Dossed multiple times a year, and with that their nice I-Phone app breaks, android app breaks, website down, no pin transactions etc. Also, Skimming of bankcards, creditcards .... it is day to day practice here in the Netherlands. So i don't see how my bank is any better then a xvg-coin in times of difficulty. The argument that the banking system is more secure is also not valid... you and i know it isn't.... it's far worse. If you talk about millions of coins now extra in circulation, that still worry's me less then the amount of coins the ECB printed in a minute.

So i actually do believe that such partnership *can* be possible. I am more worried about the EU stance against crypto then over this thing.
Perhaps this hacker who did this job can solicit at the ECB... he sure as hell knows how to print money from thin air, so he can just continue his job there without anyone caring or bothering.  Grin Grin

So, i left our pool open for XVG during last days. VergeDEV was helpful and communicating and they still are.

So anyone looking for a pool to mine XVG ( Blake / Lyra2V2 or X17 ) , you are welcome @ NLPOOL ( www.nlpool.nl )

And for the other arguments of fellow pool's losing 12.8K of money .... Sorry but is all in the game. If you do XXX's TH/s of traffic and make lot's of money a day, just make a reservation for times it goes bad because we all have our good and bad days in life.

Slemicek

View Profile
April 08, 2018, 09:17:03 PM

I have been out of this topic as pool operator of NLPool.NL because as pool operator you have to be neutral with your opinion i think. That's something up to the miners, not us.

However, this argument you make here is not making any sense. My bank, and also many more here in this country get D-Dossed multiple times a year, and with that their nice I-Phone app breaks, android app breaks, website down, no pin transactions etc. Also, Skimming of bankcards, creditcards .... it is day to day practice here in the Netherlands. So i don't see how my bank is any better then a xvg-coin in times of difficulty. The argument that the banking system is more secure is also not valid... you and i know it isn't.... it's far worse. If you talk about millions of coins now extra in circulation, that still worry's me less then the amount of coins the ECB printed in a minute.

So i actually do believe that such partnership *can* be possible. I am more worried about the EU stance against crypto then over this thing.
Perhaps this hacker who did this job can solicit at the ECB... he sure as hell knows how to print money from thin air, so he can just continue his job there without anyone caring or bothering.  Grin Grin

So, i left our pool open for XVG during last days. VergeDEV was helpful and communicating and they still are.

So anyone looking for a pool to mine XVG ( Blake / Lyra2V2 or X17 ) , you are welcome @ NLPOOL ( www.nlpool.nl )

And for the other arguments of fellow pool's losing 12.8K of money .... Sorry but is all in the game. If you do XXX's TH/s of traffic and make lot's of money a day, just make a reservation for times it goes bad because we all have our good and bad days in life.

Hey. Thx for reply.
Where in my post did I say, that partnership is not possible ?
Where in my post did I say the banking system is more secure ? (actually it is definitely more secure then xvg blockchain Smiley )
Because I did not.
I´m just saying what main dev said many times, that xvg won´t coop with any bank ever.But I guess he just changed his mind. As he often does, w/e.

GL
mine_phun

Activity: 208

View Profile WWW
April 08, 2018, 09:22:01 PM

Hey. Thx for reply.
Where in my post did I say the banking system is more secure ? (actually it is definitely more secure then xvg blockchain Smiley )
Because I did not.
I´m just saying what main dev said many times, that xvg won´t coop with any bank ever.But I guess he just changed his mind. As he often does, w/e.

GL

With saying " how you will pay with such card. Useless. " you don't have faith in this / impossible making a partnership with a bank impossible but i think it is possible.... nevertheless the name is Verge or any other coin. And banks are really not secure ... they, and their clients get robbed every day, you just don't hear it in the news for the obvious reasons as we loose faith in our (worthless) fiat system then. And for the Dev, perhaps he changed opinion. Perhaps he has new insights? It's a bit overrated to call someone a liar then? ... ohh well.....
Slemicek

View Profile
April 08, 2018, 09:44:05 PM

Hey. Thx for reply.
Because I did not.

GL

With saying " how you will pay with such card. Useless. " you don't have faith in this / impossible making a partnership with a bank impossible but i think it is possible.... nevertheless the name is Verge or any other coin. And banks are really not secure ... they, and their clients get robbed every day, you just don't hear it in the news for the obvious reasons as we loose faith in our (worthless) fiat system then. And for the Dev, perhaps he changed opinion. Perhaps he has new insights? It's a bit overrated to call someone a liar then? ... ohh well.....

Uff. Ok. If you ask me if I will send my monthly paycheck to some Verge debit card instead of my bank account to pay for my stuff. Absolutely not. And I'm also from EU, I am aware of securities risk. And as for suneroks lies. He lied to me directly in telegram chat many times when I was team member but who cares. It's OK you have opposite experience. Bye.
boxalex

Activity: 420
Merit: 13

View Profile
April 08, 2018, 09:45:38 PM

And banks are really not secure ...

Actually why i do not like banks, they have at least some advantages vs. current Crypto level that makes them more secure:
1.) When your bank gets robbed you do not care, because 100% you made no lose. When a crypto exchange or your wallet gets hacked you have to say mostly good bye to your coins.
2.) When a bank, at least in the EU, is going down, you have at least a Euro 100.000 garantee on your funds on the bank. Some banks even much more.
This said, there is aboout 0 chance you lose any money due hack, robbery, bankrupticy, fire, death, you name it.

I do not like banks, but someone has to be fair when comparing pro and contra and comparing.
svenny456

Activity: 8

View Profile
April 08, 2018, 10:17:06 PM

OCMINER you sound like a little bit*h.  Anyone successful in business does not allow emotions to get in the way, and a lot of you other whining about verge dev team is hilarious. If you hated it so much, gtfo the network and stop mining it, yet difficulty has gone WAY up and you keep mining LOL. Bunch of jokers.

Ocminer is costing miners, BOYCOTT SUPRNOVA!!!! It's not as if you guys were perfect, you stole a shtload of coins after a 'hack', yet you are so fast to get all over verge dev team for something out of their control. Get serious, never again on suprnova. scam pool.

tiCeR

Activity: 1708
Merit: 747

View Profile
April 08, 2018, 10:24:08 PM

For a long time I thought that it is almost impossible to launch a successful 51% attack for pretty strong networks like that of XVG. All those bugs in the code that led to this attack, were they amateurish or is that something we have to fear in many code bases?

.DuelbitsSPORTS.
▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄▄█████████████████▄▄
▄██████████████████████▄
██████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
▀████████████████████████
▀▀███████████████████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██

██
██
██
████████▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄██
███▄█▀▄▄▀███▄█████
█████████████▀▀▀██
██▀ ▀██████████████████
███▄███████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
▀█████████████████████▀
▀▀███████████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀
OFFICIAL EUROPEAN
BETTING PARTNER OF
ASTON VILLA FC
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██

██
██
██
10%   CASHBACK   
          100%   MULTICHARGER   
muf18

Activity: 882
Merit: 310

View Profile
April 08, 2018, 10:36:14 PM

It's a pathological if it's true situation with your banks in NL. I dont see any of these things, in others EU banks, as I was, never ddosed, sometimes some conservative works, and that's it. It's really bad there I see.
And this attack just dusted a cover on verge being a shitcoin, true shitcoin, without even working properly without exploits blockchain, pump and dumpers dream
MiCoSa

Activity: 201
Merit: 1

View Profile
April 08, 2018, 10:36:38 PM

For a long time I thought that it is almost impossible to launch a successful 51% attack for pretty strong networks like that of XVG. All those bugs in the code that led to this attack, were they amateurish or is that something we have to fear in many code bases?

There was no 51% attack...
MiCoSa

Activity: 201
Merit: 1

View Profile
April 08, 2018, 10:41:58 PM

It's a pathological if it's true situation with your banks in NL. I dont see any of these things, in others EU banks, as I was, never ddosed, sometimes some conservative works, and that's it. It's really bad there I see.
And this attack just dusted a cover on verge being a shitcoin, true shitcoin, without even working properly without exploits blockchain, pump and dumpers dream

Do you think your bank will write you a letter each time someone tries to hack them (or someone does hack them)?

I am not a Verge Fan, but what happened to them can happen to any coin any time. Even Bitcoin or Litecoin or any other of the big coins. Definitely, there were made a lot of faults during this attack. But in the end, they fixed the problem. So maybe everyone should just calm down right now again...
svenny456

Activity: 8

View Profile
April 08, 2018, 11:18:20 PM

Do you think your bank will write you a letter each time someone tries to hack them (or someone does hack them)?

I am not a Verge Fan, but what happened to them can happen to any coin any time. Even Bitcoin or Litecoin or any other of the big coins. Definitely, there were made a lot of faults during this attack. But in the end, they fixed the problem. So maybe everyone should just calm down right now again...

No, everyone should leave and stop mining xvg so i can make more. Dumb sheep.
coltmerg420

Activity: 75

View Profile
April 09, 2018, 04:55:44 AM

Okay guys, as the shit keep hitting the fan harder and harder here I need to take a few steps to actually end that drama for me:

Suprnova will not reopen any of it's XVG/Verge pools for mining whatsoever. You can mine it freely on any different pool if you like. Withdrawals are possible of course.

The background is that the "fix" promoted by the devs simply won't fix the problem. It will just make the timeframe smaller in which the blocks can be mined / spoofed and the attack
will still work, just be a bit slower.

Also the over 20 Million XVG which were instamined by the attacker won't be blacklisted, reverted, filtered or rolled-back in anyway according to the verge-dev, so in my opinion you all (the miners and investors) got betrayed about that 20 M coins .. For some it might be only a few coins, for some it might be a lot.. For some this might all be drama for them, I see you there of course..

Just to clarify a few last things:

1. The fix won't fix it. The problem is not alone the drifttime, but also the algo variance. You have to make sure that not X blocks get mined on one algo.
    Myriad and digibyte had the same issues - they fixed it.

Here's a possible fix for the issues: https://github.com/digibyte/digibyte/pull/15

Please DON'T just merge the code like you see it in that commit, you need to actually find the right places in your code and merge it. It's a slightly different codebase, so it won't work
    with just copy & paste, you actually have to understand and rewrite it to fit to your needs.
this will work for now, until our new block verification rewrite is added. im well aware that dgb and myr use a different codebase.

2. It's possible to blacklist certain addresses within the blockchain. So if you know on which addresses hacked funds reside, you can simply "blacklist" them directly in the codebase of the coin.
    For example you know that the attacker has used address "123abc123acb123abc" as the root for his hacked funds. You can now - at anytime - update your wallet code and just say
    "orphan all transactions with the root address "123abc123acb123abc". So even if the hacker moves the funds NOW or in one year, it won't happen as you've blacklisted the originating address.
    This was done previously also, not on myriad but on another coin - I can also find that commit for you.
we dont need that commit, we are just rolling forward. technically this person did not break any rules of the source code, and it would cause a huge headache for the exchanges since the coins have already moved (likely were sold)

3. I was getting blamed for "judging" too early and posting this info publicly on bitcointalk. I've mixed feelings about this.. Yes, I could have spoken silently to the devs at first and tell them "hey,
    something weird is going on on your blockchain" - however in the same time my miners were asking why the pool wasn't finding blocks and I already saw the first tweets about "skimming" and    
    stuff.. So.. What to do ? Keep the info about the hacker silent with the devs and wait 3-4 days for a (non-working) fix and get my reputation killed totally or just go for a public post about it
    and shutdown the pools ? I know, it's a difficult decision and my decision might have been wrong, but hey, I'm neither the attacker nor am I the guy responsible for the coin..  Also I was a bit
    astonished that I was actually the first to report the problem.. I was expecting devs watch their coin closely and come up with fixes upfront.. or at least know about what happend.

In my opinion the optimal handling for this problem probably would have been something like this:

1. Contact pools and exchanges to shutdown mining and trading
   1a. Tweet/Inform miners about the problem and tell them it's been worked on but takes it's time.
   2. Talk about possible problems and mitigation practices with devs/exchanges and pools.. Create a "conference room" for this for example and invite all necessary people there.
   3. Find a resolution, roll back the chain or at least filter the malicious coins (as someone as a (big) advantage here which he shouldn't, or?? So some others have a big disadvantage, or not ?)
   4. Go back online with the resolution and back to mining.
the 1st step would be to stop your pool, and notify miners that its stopped for now. 2nd would be to contact us. 3rd, let us get something ready to fix it instead of invite the entire forum population to join in the attack. after your initial post the rate of blocks increased 10x. you say you want to end the drama, but never in my life have i seen more drama from a single person. you even quoted me in your OP with something i never said lol

I like being kept in the loop ,i lost out big on BITINUM  71156746.76686477 btn only ended up with a $1200 power bill coin never made it to market and the dev never did anything with coin .so updating and chat room spam helps . And i am thinking that the miner devs also run mining pools i caught 2 pool now that are run by dev's ,i am good with all of them i just wish they would lift the %10 gpu max power they have my miner run at ....IE the if i let you run it i get 200 mh/s if i run it i get 1 th/s and it is provin  ............ It is a big flaw ,even a 5% increase in gpu mining will pump all gpu coins by %120 in speed .... like now i am in supanova and if i let pool run me i will be in 60 place with my ?? i am in 4th with no bad shares ...
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 »
  Print  

Jump to: