Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 06:32:16 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [Bounty Paid!] Go to Wall St in Front of N.Y. Stock Exchange  (Read 14742 times)
BitterTea

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 04, 2011, 11:45:04 PM

I'd say it's more difficult in a first world country.  Fresh fruits and vegetables are harder to come by in a country where the only farmers who can make a living are giant corporations who get paid by the government per acre of farmland.  It's fucking retarded that the US subsidizes corn prices for the entire world while family farmers need to work a full time job in addition to tending their land.
I have to disagree. In the U.S. (mostly thanks to cheap oil), we can get fruits and vegetables grown all over the world. In poorer countries (most likely to include the U.S. soon), the only available produce is that which is grown locally. I can only assume that this makes it more difficult to consume the nutrients that would otherwise be received from meat.
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
FooDSt4mP

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 05, 2011, 12:19:37 AM

I'd say it's more difficult in a first world country.  Fresh fruits and vegetables are harder to come by in a country where the only farmers who can make a living are giant corporations who get paid by the government per acre of farmland.  It's fucking retarded that the US subsidizes corn prices for the entire world while family farmers need to work a full time job in addition to tending their land.
I have to disagree. In the U.S. (mostly thanks to cheap oil), we can get fruits and vegetables grown all over the world. In poorer countries (most likely to include the U.S. soon), the only available produce is that which is grown locally. I can only assume that this makes it more difficult to consume the nutrients that would otherwise be received from meat.

Right, they can only get what is grown locally, which is how you get fresh food.  U.S. food is not fresh, it is processed in ways that reduce nutrient content, and it increases poverty in the areas we buy it from since it drives up local food prices.  You can grow your own, but due to property taxes and limitations on selling fresh produce, it is tremendously difficult for a family farmer to make a living off the land.  This to me is a big problem.  We have already lost a lot of the skills involved in food cultivation, and when we do fall into the "poorer countries" category, as you seem to think we will and I can definitely see as a possibilty, we won't have the infrastructure to feed ourselves.

As we slide down the banister of life, this is just another splinter in our ass.
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5194
Merit: 12977

View Profile
March 05, 2011, 12:44:18 AM

First-word nations seem to be feeding themselves just fine.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
Bimmerhead
Legendary

Activity: 1291
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 05, 2011, 03:10:06 AM

Wow talk about veering off topic, must be time for a Goodwin intervention.  Of course everyone knows that Hiter was a vegetarianGrin

It does seem that a lack of nourishment isn't really the problem today though, it's over nourishment.  Last year more people tied of obesity than of starvation.

Where are all those population-control advocates who said in the 1970s we were going to run out of food (and oil)?  Oh yeah, they forgot about technology and the free market.  They usually do.
ShadowOfHarbringer
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1005

Bringing Legendary Har® to you since 1952

View Profile
March 05, 2011, 10:01:10 AM

billions of people on this planet are vegetarian

[citation needed]

Were you serious or that was some kind of sarcasm ?

http://www.hinduonnet.com/2006/08/14/stories/2006081403771200.htm

40% of india, unless you count eggs as meat, than it's 31%.

http://www.google.com/search?q=population%20of%20india shows 1.155 billion, so 358 - 462 million in India alone.  Billions might be an exaggeration, but it's probably not too far from 1 billion.

Not too far from 1 billion is very far from "billions". So my point stands.
There is not so much vegetarians in the world as one would think.

Also, check out the wikipedia article. A lot of vegetarians don't eat meat from financial reasons, not ideological.

So there is even less "true" vegetarians out there.

FooDSt4mP

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 06, 2011, 04:49:25 AM

Not too far from 1 billion is very far from "billions". So my point stands.
Agreed, I admitted it was an exaggeration.

Also, check out the wikipedia article. A lot of vegetarians don't eat meat from financial reasons, not ideological.

So there is even less "true" vegetarians out there.
Irrelevant to my point, which was we don't need meat to survive.

First-word nations seem to be feeding themselves just fine.
Absolutely, but we aren't growing it, we're importing it.  The hypothetical situation being discussed was the dollar tanking.  If that happened, we wouldn't be able to afford the imports because of the cost of transportation.  Sure we would have plenty of corn, but most other foodstuffs would have huge price jumps.

As we slide down the banister of life, this is just another splinter in our ass.
The Script

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 08, 2011, 05:30:29 AM

WTF?  What happened to the super-sexy (according to Bruce) underwear model generating publicity for Bitcoin?  All the sudden everyone is talking about vegetarianism.... 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  

Jump to: