Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 03:07:30 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Instawallet introduces new approach to instant payment: Green address technique  (Read 30138 times)
Red Emerald

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
October 13, 2011, 09:38:41 PM
Last edit: October 13, 2011, 09:55:55 PM by Red Emerald

This is a great idea.

It would be nice to have a public, pgp-signed list of trusted addresses.  Each site that has a green address should at least host their own with some sort of protection from tampering.

EDIT: And ripple sounds awesome! I have been doing this with my roommates with a spreadsheet, but ripple is way cooler.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
brendio

Activity: 518

View Profile
November 18, 2011, 07:43:26 AM

I see a few implementations now of web services offering a green address option for sending bitcoins. But are there currently any that have stated they will accept them? Clearly, the easy step is for web services to offer a green address, because it doesn't involve any risk. The harder step is convincing services to accept green addresses, because that involves a certain amount of trust.

jav (OP)

Activity: 249
Merit: 251

View Profile
November 18, 2011, 07:51:12 AM

I see a few implementations now of web services offering a green address option for sending bitcoins. But are there currently any that have stated they will accept them?

Instawallet will directly accept transactions from green addresses at some point. I am currently reworking the backend to make this easier for me to achieve and also be able to manage the risk (e.g. put a limit on the amount of unconfirmed funds that can be pending at any moment).

Hive, a beautiful wallet with an app platform for Mac OS X, Android and Mobile Web. Translators wanted! iOS and OS X devs see BitcoinKit. Tweets @hivewallet. Donations appreciated at 1HLRg9C1GsfEVH555hgcjzDeas14jen2Cn.
Red Emerald

View Profile WWW
November 19, 2011, 01:15:31 AM

I see a few implementations now of web services offering a green address option for sending bitcoins. But are there currently any that have stated they will accept them?

Instawallet will directly accept transactions from green addresses at some point. I am currently reworking the backend to make this easier for me to achieve and also be able to manage the risk (e.g. put a limit on the amount of unconfirmed funds that can be pending at any moment).

How will this list of green addresses be populated?

jav (OP)

View Profile
November 19, 2011, 06:40:49 PM

How will this list of green addresses be populated?

For now I will just decide on a case by case basis. I think the Bitcoin community is still small enough that there aren't that many players and those that are interested to get on the list should just get in touch with me.

Hive, a beautiful wallet with an app platform for Mac OS X, Android and Mobile Web. Translators wanted! iOS and OS X devs see BitcoinKit. Tweets @hivewallet. Donations appreciated at 1HLRg9C1GsfEVH555hgcjzDeas14jen2Cn.
DeepBit
Donator

Activity: 532
Merit: 501

We have cookies

View Profile WWW
November 27, 2011, 09:05:00 PM

jav, is your PM not working ? :)

Welcome to my bitcoin mining pool: https://deepbit.net ~ 3600 GH/s, Both payment schemes, instant payout, no invalid blocks !
Coming soon: ICBIT Trading platform
jav (OP)

View Profile
November 27, 2011, 09:13:08 PM

jav, is your PM not working ? Smiley

I think it is (?). The last PM I received from you is from November 26 and I thought I had replied to it. Although I can't find it in my outbox right now - I'll send it again.

DeepBit
Donator

Activity: 532
Merit: 501

We have cookies

View Profile WWW
November 27, 2011, 09:37:37 PM

jav, is your PM not working ? :)
I think it is (?). The last PM I received from you is from November 26 and I thought I had replied to it. Although I can't find it in my outbox right now - I'll send it again.
Now I got your answer, thanks.
Hope you will support my proposal.

Welcome to my bitcoin mining pool: https://deepbit.net ~ 3600 GH/s, Both payment schemes, instant payout, no invalid blocks !
Coming soon: ICBIT Trading platform
mb300sd
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000

Drunk Posts

View Profile WWW
January 03, 2012, 05:13:56 AM

Is there a reason instawallet doesn't accept its own green address? It'd be mice if I didn't have to wait 6 confirms if the coins were sent with the green address.

1D7FJWRzeKa4SLmTznd3JpeNU13L1ErEco
Red Emerald

View Profile WWW
January 03, 2012, 06:24:36 AM

Is there a reason instawallet doesn't accept its own green address? It'd be mice if I didn't have to wait 6 confirms if the coins were sent with the green address.
That is a good question.

jav (OP)

View Profile
January 03, 2012, 04:03:38 PM

The reason is that receiving from green addresses in general is not implemented yet, so it's also not available for this specific address. I want to do this properly, be able to manage the risk and limit the damage if a green address that I accept is compromised for some reason. Unfortunately I currently don't have time to work on it much, as other obligations keep me busy.

What are you trying to do though? If you send to another Instawallet without forcing it through the green address the system will be able to do an internal transfer and it will clear instantly.

westkybitcoins
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: Compromised. Thanks, Android!

View Profile
January 03, 2012, 04:59:37 PM

The reason is that receiving from green addresses in general is not implemented yet, so it's also not available for this specific address. I want to do this properly, be able to manage the risk and limit the damage if a green address that I accept is compromised for some reason. Unfortunately I currently don't have time to work on it much, as other obligations keep me busy.

What are you trying to do though? If you send to another Instawallet without forcing it through the green address the system will be able to do an internal transfer and it will clear instantly.

He might be wondering the same thing that I was: whether NOT using the green address could possibly reveal the original sending Instawallet address.

Bitcoin is the ultimate freedom test. It tells you who is giving lip service and who genuinely believes in it.
In the future, books that summarize the history of money will have a line that says, “and then came bitcoin.” It is the economic singularity. And we are living in it now. - Ryan Dickherber
ATTENTION BFL MINING NEWBS: Just got your Jalapenos in? Wondering how to get the most value for the least hassle? Give BitMinter a try! It's a smaller pool with a fair & low-fee payment method, lots of statistical feedback, and it's easier than EasyMiner! (Yes, we want your hashing power, but seriously, it IS the easiest pool to use! Sign up in seconds to try it!)
The idea that deflation causes hoarding (to any problematic degree) is a lie used to justify theft of value from your savings.
jav (OP)

View Profile
January 03, 2012, 05:17:11 PM

He might be wondering the same thing that I was: whether NOT using the green address could possibly reveal the original sending Instawallet address.

When sending between Instawallets? No, it does not reveal the address in any way. It doesn't hit the blockchain at all, so it isn't visible from the outside. It's just changing the balance in the database for the affected Instawallets.

I sometimes see people doing stuff like this: "Outside -> Instawallet A -> Instawallet B -> Instawallet C -> Outside". I guess they want to launder these coins, or something. There is really not much point in moving funds around inside Instawallet like that. The coins that are finally send out from Instawallet C aren't more mixed or something than what you would have gotten from Instawallet A.

Stemby
Legendary

Activity: 2450
Merit: 1008

View Profile
February 05, 2012, 01:18:19 AM

Hi,
what do you think about this comment?

Ciao!

“…virtual currencies, could have a substitution effect on central bank money if they become widely accepted.”
ECB Report, October 2012
jtimon
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1002

View Profile WWW
February 05, 2012, 10:14:14 AM

Hi,

Ciao!

Good question.
In the bitcoin development mail list, in the aliases thread, there was a considerable criticism against firstbits. I claimed that firstbits was still valuable for systems such as green addresses where the length of the url is a constraint because of QR codes and luke claimed that "green addresses are also broken by design".
I would like to see, Jav, discussion about this between you and luke-jr. Because I strongly disagree with him on this point.

2 different forms of free-money: Freicoin (free of basic interest because it's perishable), Mutual credit (no interest because it's abundant)
jav (OP)

View Profile
February 05, 2012, 10:48:40 AM

Hi,

Ciao!

Seems like a good suggestion.

I'm sure there are better/more efficient ways to achieve the green address goals if you manage to get some required changes into the Satoshi client. I didn't really look at this option too much, because my impression is that the whole green address thing is somewhat controversial and a number of people are not convinced that it is even needed, so it seemed to me that it would probably not be accepted by the dev team.

That's why I looked at solutions that would work with the current code base. Maybe some would consider this as "broken by design", I like to think of it as "pragmatic".

But I currently don't have the time anyway to continue working on this, as some "RL stuff" has gotten in the way. So sure, if some superior solution makes it into the code base then I'm all for it.

jtimon
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1002

View Profile WWW
February 05, 2012, 10:59:57 AM

That's why I looked at solutions that would work with the current code base. Maybe some would consider this as "broken by design", I like to think of it as "pragmatic".

I've already told you about the potential of this combined with ripple-like bitcoin transactions or just combined with Ripple.

But I currently don't have the time anyway to continue working on this, as some "RL stuff" has gotten in the way. So sure, if some superior solution makes it into the code base then I'm all for it.

What a pity. I think green addresses is a great idea.

2 different forms of free-money: Freicoin (free of basic interest because it's perishable), Mutual credit (no interest because it's abundant)
Luke-Jr
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186

View Profile
February 05, 2012, 01:09:54 PM

The key problem with "green addresses" is that it encourages service providers to spam the blockchain with moves of funds to a single address. Since these same services cannot have users send directly to the "green address", the need for an extra transaction/input to move funds to one is almost always needed.

On the other hand, it's possible to simply add an extra signature to transactions, signed by the "green address", which gets relayed with it. Service providers can check for this signature. Miners can (but don't currently) omit this signature from blocks, so it doesn't cause permanent bloat.

Red Emerald

View Profile WWW
February 05, 2012, 04:47:10 PM

The key problem with "green addresses" is that it encourages service providers to spam the blockchain with moves of funds to a single address. Since these same services cannot have users send directly to the "green address", the need for an extra transaction/input to move funds to one is almost always needed.
Thanks for explaining this.  I was just about to ask what bloat there was.

On the other hand, it's possible to simply add an extra signature to transactions, signed by the "green address", which gets relayed with it. Service providers can check for this signature. Miners can (but don't currently) omit this signature from blocks, so it doesn't cause permanent bloat.
How simple is simple?

And why is the system built so miners can change things like signatures? Couldn't that be bad?

Stemby
Legendary

Activity: 2450
Merit: 1008

View Profile
February 05, 2012, 05:31:33 PM

Luke-Jr, thank you for your answer.

I'm very interested in this subject (instant transfer and zero-confirmation transactions).

Could you explain in simple words your technique, in a similar way to this one, please?

Thanks!

“…virtual currencies, could have a substitution effect on central bank money if they become widely accepted.”
ECB Report, October 2012
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: