Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 03:31:00 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: It's getting frothy, and I'm dumping 75% of my coins  (Read 13614 times)
jasonjm (OP)

Activity: 1246
Merit: 524

View Profile WWW
November 12, 2013, 07:38:23 AM

lotta price increase without impressive volume / $ amounts

and BTW that previous sell from a few days ago was a test run, no true panic volume on the so called "panic day".

The real panic day is yet to come. Don't know when, but I don't want any part of it. These parabolic rises are never a good thing.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TERA

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 07:41:13 AM

and BTW that previous sell from a few days ago was a test run, no true panic volume on the so called "panic day".

The real panic day is yet to come. Don't know when, but I don't want any part of it. These parabolic rises are never a good thing.

Why would you dump now though? The crashes do not begin when bitcoin is stable, the begin when it is rallying and making a huge increase for the day.
Savior

Activity: 176
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 07:42:54 AM

Why would you dump now though? The crashes do not begin when bitcoin is stable, the begin when it is rallying and making a huge increase for the day.

+1, if you want to help stop parabolic rise, start selling at 500+
jasonjm (OP)

Activity: 1246
Merit: 524

View Profile WWW
November 12, 2013, 07:47:10 AM

hmmm, I would call bitcoin stable when it spends months between 120 and 150

however it seems some believe stable is going from 150 to 400 in under 1 month?

yeah it could go to 500, 800, 1000........   but when this thing goes into full panic it falls faster than anything i have ever seen. So for me, nothanks. If it makes it to 1000 I'll sell all my remaining 25%.
Wekkel
Legendary

Activity: 3108
Merit: 1531

yes

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 07:59:11 AM

You are missing the best part of bitcoin.

Puppet
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1040

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 07:59:39 AM

There is nothing magical about today's price or $1000.
They are your coins, do with them as you please, but if you want to lock in some profits, my advice would be to sell proportionally to the price.
Lets say you have 100 coins, currently worth ~$350K. Pick some number you are comfortable risking. Lets say $200K. So you sell the difference, $150K worth of bitcoins now. If/when bitcoin continues to rise in price, keep selling so that your remaining coins are still worth $200K. That way,  not matter how high bitcoin goes, you will never completely miss the boat, perhaps one day you will only have 1BTC left, but it would still be worth $200K. At the same time, no matter how low it drops, you would have locked in a decent chunk of profit.

ANyway, thats roughly how I do it, and have been doing since $100/BTC.
And sure, "had I known", it would have been better to keep those coins, but I dont regret my strategy one bit.
Enigma81

Activity: 180

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 08:10:49 AM

They are your coins, do with them as you please, but if you want to lock in some profits, my advice would be to sell proportionally to the price.
Lets say you have 100 coins, currently worth ~$350K. Pick some number you are comfortable risking. Lets say $200K. So you sell the difference, $150K worth of bitcoins now. If/when bitcoin continues to rise in price, keep selling so that your remaining coins are still worth $200K. That way,  not matter how high bitcoin goes, you will never completely miss the boat, perhaps one day you will only have 1BTC left, but it would still be worth $200K. At the same time, no matter how low it drops, you would have locked in a decent chunk of profit.

And sure, "had I known", it would have been better to keep those coins, but I dont regret my strategy one bit.

Absolutely.  Please take the advice of someone who believes 350 * 100 = 350,000.  Excellent Plan. Smiley
crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 08:12:52 AM

Okay if you want, but the volume has been low because of two day weekend and one bank holiday and a gox being down. That volume is totally normal. Sell now and you will miss the first day of fresh fiat on the accounts!

more or less retired.
beetcoin

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 08:14:03 AM

Absolutely.  Please take the advice of someone who believes 350 * 100 = 350,000.  Excellent Plan. Smiley

yeah! it's 3,500,000 right? to be fair, though, even mathematicians can sometimes make that mistake... so it doesn't make what he said null and void. if he has a fair amount of holdings, he should know that 100 BTC is not 350k though. he either has a lot or a very small amount i'd say.
Hawker
Legendary

Activity: 1218

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 08:15:39 AM

yeah it could go to 500, 800, 1000........   but when this thing goes into full panic it falls faster than anything i have ever seen. So for me, nothanks. If it makes it to 1000 I'll sell all my remaining 25%.

Are you sure about that?  Its never done that before and there is every reason to think that we will never see $150 again.  So on your logic, Bitcoin will go over $10k without ever having been "stable."
beetcoin

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 08:21:26 AM

Are you sure about that?  Its never done that before and there is every reason to think that we will never see $150 again.  So on your logic, Bitcoin will go over $10k without ever having been "stable."

yeah i don't think it'll go lower than its starting point, which was something like $110 from the new of SR going down. seems like bitcoin takes 2 steps forward and 1 back.
NUFCrichard
Legendary

Merit: 1003

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 08:24:41 AM

Why does it have to crash? couldn't the price just stay where it is?
Everyone talks like it is binary - to the moon or crash.  Long term i think that is correct but in the next few weeks it's not.
anu
Legendary

RepuX - Enterprise Blockchain Protocol

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 08:26:31 AM

The real panic day is yet to come.

Quite possible. But here is the catch: If the price crashes, it will be up again - losses are no losses until you realize them. But if something like Cyprus happens again after you sell, Bitcoin will never be that low again. Some of my friends sold at $20. One is still hoping that he can buy back at single digit.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄        ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
███████████▄    ▄███████████
█████████████▄▄█████████████
████████████████████████████
▀█████████████████████████▀
  ▀█████████████████████▀
   ▄████████████████████▄
 ████████████████████████▄
█████████████▀▀█████████████
███████████▀    ▀███████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀        ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
RepuX▄██▄
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
▀██▀
.Decentralized Data & Applications Protocol For SMEs.
▔▔▔▔  ●  Twitter  ●  Facebook  ●  Bitcointalk  ●  Reddit  ●  ▔▔▔▔
▄██▄
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
▀██▀
Enterprise Blockchain Protocol
.GET WHITELISTED.
Token Sale starts 6th of February 2018
Puppet
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1040

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 08:30:49 AM

Absolutely.  Please take the advice of someone who believes 350 * 100 = 350,000.  Excellent Plan. Smiley

Right, so I missed a zero. That of course completely changes the logic  Roll Eyes
kehtolo

Activity: 707
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 08:34:39 AM

One is still hoping that he can buy back at single digit.
[/quote]

Tell your friend good luck with that.

The next 24 hours are critical!
tutkarz

Activity: 546
Merit: 501

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 08:50:44 AM

Some people will never learn, even if you will have a proof in front of your eyes. One Swedish comes as an example who after few years was able to afford a house. We are far from mainstream which means it can still happen to everyone of us. There is only one condition. Don't sell now.
Also, there is plenty of people who are really regretting they sold they coins when they were double or single digits. If anyone wants to make their mistake now, then it's perfectly fine for me. I will be happy reading what they have to say after few months/years.

anu
Legendary

RepuX - Enterprise Blockchain Protocol

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 09:03:35 AM

One is still hoping that he can buy back at single digit.

Tell your friend good luck with that.

Well, there is still hope - to buy Bitcoin for single digit ounces of gold Wink

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄        ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
███████████▄    ▄███████████
█████████████▄▄█████████████
▀█████████████████████████▀
  ▀█████████████████████▀
   ▄████████████████████▄
 ████████████████████████▄
█████████████▀▀█████████████
███████████▀    ▀███████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀        ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
RepuX▄██▄
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
▀██▀
.Decentralized Data & Applications Protocol For SMEs.
▔▔▔▔  ●  Twitter  ●  Facebook  ●  Bitcointalk  ●  Reddit  ●  ▔▔▔▔
▄██▄
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
▀██▀
Enterprise Blockchain Protocol
.GET WHITELISTED.
Token Sale starts 6th of February 2018
LOADING.READY.RUN

Activity: 133

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 09:21:04 AM

Some people will never learn, even if you will have a proof in front of your eyes. One Swedish comes as an example who after few years was able to afford a house. We are far from mainstream which means it can still happen to everyone of us. There is only one condition. Don't sell now.
Fully agreed, taking all the chances I have with bitcoin, mostly holding, but trading a bit on Bitfinex to increase my little stash of coins. However, at some point I'll cash out to retrieve my initial investment, but only when it's a small amount in relation to my overall worth in bitcoins.

For the record: He was Norwegian, not Swedish. And I think this story fueled quite a bit of the general public's recent interest in bitcoin.
kriwest

Activity: 154

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 09:58:42 AM

For the record: He was Norwegian, not Swedish. And I think this story fueled quite a bit of the general public's recent interest in bitcoin.

Definitely. Get rich quick always draws the masses in.
Just like the Poker boom was set in motion by an average Joe winning a huge tournament, the Norwegian story did wonders for Bitcoin. We need more of those.
crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 10:31:58 AM

Lets say you have 100 coins, currently worth ~$350K. Pick some number you are comfortable risking. Lets say $200K. So you sell the difference, $150K worth of bitcoins now. If/when bitcoin continues to rise in price, keep selling so that your remaining coins are still worth $200K. That way,  not matter how high bitcoin goes, you will never completely miss the boat, perhaps one day you will only have 1BTC left, but it would still be worth $200K. At the same time, no matter how low it drops, you would have locked in a decent chunk of profit.

Right, so I missed a zero. That of course completely changes the logic  Roll Eyes

doesn't change the logic, but there is a *huge* difference between 35,000 and 350,000. :-)

If you have 35,000 then my advice is to wait for 350,000. Not that it's a small amount of money, but 35,000USD is an amount of money you could actually earn from a normal, not so special job. So in my mind it's "riskable", $350,000 however is not money you could actually earn from a normal job. It's more like a decade of working at a normal job. So yeah, I'd hold out for the "ten years of not having to work a regular job" level.

more or less retired.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: