Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 10:36:24 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: It's getting frothy, and I'm dumping 75% of my coins  (Read 13614 times)
jasonjm (OP)

Activity: 1246
Merit: 524

View Profile WWW
November 12, 2013, 07:38:23 AM

lotta price increase without impressive volume / $ amounts

and BTW that previous sell from a few days ago was a test run, no true panic volume on the so called "panic day".

The real panic day is yet to come. Don't know when, but I don't want any part of it. These parabolic rises are never a good thing.
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
TERA

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 07:41:13 AM

and BTW that previous sell from a few days ago was a test run, no true panic volume on the so called "panic day".

The real panic day is yet to come. Don't know when, but I don't want any part of it. These parabolic rises are never a good thing.

Why would you dump now though? The crashes do not begin when bitcoin is stable, the begin when it is rallying and making a huge increase for the day.
Savior

Activity: 176
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 07:42:54 AM

Why would you dump now though? The crashes do not begin when bitcoin is stable, the begin when it is rallying and making a huge increase for the day.

+1, if you want to help stop parabolic rise, start selling at 500+
jasonjm (OP)

View Profile WWW
November 12, 2013, 07:47:10 AM

hmmm, I would call bitcoin stable when it spends months between 120 and 150

however it seems some believe stable is going from 150 to 400 in under 1 month?

yeah it could go to 500, 800, 1000........   but when this thing goes into full panic it falls faster than anything i have ever seen. So for me, nothanks. If it makes it to 1000 I'll sell all my remaining 25%.
Wekkel
Legendary

Activity: 3108
Merit: 1531

yes

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 07:59:11 AM

You are missing the best part of bitcoin.

Puppet
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1040

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 07:59:39 AM

There is nothing magical about today's price or $1000.
They are your coins, do with them as you please, but if you want to lock in some profits, my advice would be to sell proportionally to the price.
Lets say you have 100 coins, currently worth ~$350K. Pick some number you are comfortable risking. Lets say $200K. So you sell the difference, $150K worth of bitcoins now. If/when bitcoin continues to rise in price, keep selling so that your remaining coins are still worth $200K. That way,  not matter how high bitcoin goes, you will never completely miss the boat, perhaps one day you will only have 1BTC left, but it would still be worth $200K. At the same time, no matter how low it drops, you would have locked in a decent chunk of profit.

ANyway, thats roughly how I do it, and have been doing since $100/BTC.
And sure, "had I known", it would have been better to keep those coins, but I dont regret my strategy one bit.
Enigma81

Activity: 180

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 08:10:49 AM

They are your coins, do with them as you please, but if you want to lock in some profits, my advice would be to sell proportionally to the price.
Lets say you have 100 coins, currently worth ~$350K. Pick some number you are comfortable risking. Lets say $200K. So you sell the difference, $150K worth of bitcoins now. If/when bitcoin continues to rise in price, keep selling so that your remaining coins are still worth $200K. That way,  not matter how high bitcoin goes, you will never completely miss the boat, perhaps one day you will only have 1BTC left, but it would still be worth $200K. At the same time, no matter how low it drops, you would have locked in a decent chunk of profit.

And sure, "had I known", it would have been better to keep those coins, but I dont regret my strategy one bit.

Absolutely.  Please take the advice of someone who believes 350 * 100 = 350,000.  Excellent Plan. Smiley
crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 08:12:52 AM

Okay if you want, but the volume has been low because of two day weekend and one bank holiday and a gox being down. That volume is totally normal. Sell now and you will miss the first day of fresh fiat on the accounts!

more or less retired.
beetcoin

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 08:14:03 AM

Absolutely.  Please take the advice of someone who believes 350 * 100 = 350,000.  Excellent Plan. Smiley

yeah! it's 3,500,000 right? to be fair, though, even mathematicians can sometimes make that mistake... so it doesn't make what he said null and void. if he has a fair amount of holdings, he should know that 100 BTC is not 350k though. he either has a lot or a very small amount i'd say.
Hawker
Legendary

Activity: 1218

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 08:15:39 AM

yeah it could go to 500, 800, 1000........   but when this thing goes into full panic it falls faster than anything i have ever seen. So for me, nothanks. If it makes it to 1000 I'll sell all my remaining 25%.

Are you sure about that?  Its never done that before and there is every reason to think that we will never see $150 again.  So on your logic, Bitcoin will go over $10k without ever having been "stable."
beetcoin

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 08:21:26 AM

Are you sure about that?  Its never done that before and there is every reason to think that we will never see $150 again.  So on your logic, Bitcoin will go over $10k without ever having been "stable."

yeah i don't think it'll go lower than its starting point, which was something like $110 from the new of SR going down. seems like bitcoin takes 2 steps forward and 1 back.
NUFCrichard
Legendary

Merit: 1003

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 08:24:41 AM

Why does it have to crash? couldn't the price just stay where it is?
Everyone talks like it is binary - to the moon or crash.  Long term i think that is correct but in the next few weeks it's not.
anu
Legendary

RepuX - Enterprise Blockchain Protocol

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 08:26:31 AM

The real panic day is yet to come.

Quite possible. But here is the catch: If the price crashes, it will be up again - losses are no losses until you realize them. But if something like Cyprus happens again after you sell, Bitcoin will never be that low again. Some of my friends sold at $20. One is still hoping that he can buy back at single digit.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄        ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
███████████▄    ▄███████████
█████████████▄▄█████████████
████████████████████████████
▀█████████████████████████▀
  ▀█████████████████████▀
   ▄████████████████████▄
 ████████████████████████▄
█████████████▀▀█████████████
███████████▀    ▀███████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀        ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
RepuX▄██▄
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
▀██▀
.Decentralized Data & Applications Protocol For SMEs.
▔▔▔▔  ●  Twitter  ●  Facebook  ●  Bitcointalk  ●  Reddit  ●  ▔▔▔▔
▄██▄
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
▀██▀
Enterprise Blockchain Protocol
.GET WHITELISTED.
Token Sale starts 6th of February 2018
Puppet
Legendary

Merit: 1040

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 08:30:49 AM

Absolutely.  Please take the advice of someone who believes 350 * 100 = 350,000.  Excellent Plan. Smiley

Right, so I missed a zero. That of course completely changes the logic  Roll Eyes
kehtolo

Activity: 707

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 08:34:39 AM

One is still hoping that he can buy back at single digit.
[/quote]

Tell your friend good luck with that.

The next 24 hours are critical!
tutkarz

Activity: 546
Merit: 501

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 08:50:44 AM

Some people will never learn, even if you will have a proof in front of your eyes. One Swedish comes as an example who after few years was able to afford a house. We are far from mainstream which means it can still happen to everyone of us. There is only one condition. Don't sell now.
Also, there is plenty of people who are really regretting they sold they coins when they were double or single digits. If anyone wants to make their mistake now, then it's perfectly fine for me. I will be happy reading what they have to say after few months/years.

anu
Legendary

RepuX - Enterprise Blockchain Protocol

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 09:03:35 AM

One is still hoping that he can buy back at single digit.

Tell your friend good luck with that.

Well, there is still hope - to buy Bitcoin for single digit ounces of gold Wink

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄        ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
███████████▄    ▄███████████
█████████████▄▄█████████████
▀█████████████████████████▀
  ▀█████████████████████▀
   ▄████████████████████▄
 ████████████████████████▄
█████████████▀▀█████████████
███████████▀    ▀███████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀        ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
RepuX▄██▄
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
▀██▀
.Decentralized Data & Applications Protocol For SMEs.
▔▔▔▔  ●  Twitter  ●  Facebook  ●  Bitcointalk  ●  Reddit  ●  ▔▔▔▔
▄██▄
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
▀██▀
Enterprise Blockchain Protocol
.GET WHITELISTED.
Token Sale starts 6th of February 2018
LOADING.READY.RUN

Activity: 133

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 09:21:04 AM

Some people will never learn, even if you will have a proof in front of your eyes. One Swedish comes as an example who after few years was able to afford a house. We are far from mainstream which means it can still happen to everyone of us. There is only one condition. Don't sell now.
Fully agreed, taking all the chances I have with bitcoin, mostly holding, but trading a bit on Bitfinex to increase my little stash of coins. However, at some point I'll cash out to retrieve my initial investment, but only when it's a small amount in relation to my overall worth in bitcoins.

For the record: He was Norwegian, not Swedish. And I think this story fueled quite a bit of the general public's recent interest in bitcoin.
kriwest

Activity: 154

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 09:58:42 AM

For the record: He was Norwegian, not Swedish. And I think this story fueled quite a bit of the general public's recent interest in bitcoin.

Definitely. Get rich quick always draws the masses in.
Just like the Poker boom was set in motion by an average Joe winning a huge tournament, the Norwegian story did wonders for Bitcoin. We need more of those.
crazy_rabbit
Legendary

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 10:31:58 AM

Lets say you have 100 coins, currently worth ~$350K. Pick some number you are comfortable risking. Lets say $200K. So you sell the difference, $150K worth of bitcoins now. If/when bitcoin continues to rise in price, keep selling so that your remaining coins are still worth $200K. That way,  not matter how high bitcoin goes, you will never completely miss the boat, perhaps one day you will only have 1BTC left, but it would still be worth $200K. At the same time, no matter how low it drops, you would have locked in a decent chunk of profit.

Right, so I missed a zero. That of course completely changes the logic  Roll Eyes

doesn't change the logic, but there is a *huge* difference between 35,000 and 350,000. :-)

If you have 35,000 then my advice is to wait for 350,000. Not that it's a small amount of money, but 35,000USD is an amount of money you could actually earn from a normal, not so special job. So in my mind it's "riskable", $350,000 however is not money you could actually earn from a normal job. It's more like a decade of working at a normal job. So yeah, I'd hold out for the "ten years of not having to work a regular job" level.

more or less retired.
ajax3592

Activity: 210

Crypto News & Tutorials - Coinramble.com

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 10:42:08 AM

Just like the Poker boom was set in motion by an average Joe winning a huge tournament, the Norwegian story did wonders for Bitcoin. We need more of those.
< I'm into Bitcoins since I read about that guy two weeks ago in a local newspaper  Wink

Crypto news/tutorials >>CoinRamble<<                            >>Netcodepool<<                >>My graphics<<
notthematrix
Legendary

Merit: 1000

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 10:53:07 AM

Guys there will be no panic day Smiley
because of the known number of btc in circulation.
People who know that will never sell bitcoins on dumps will just buy the cheap one's Smiley

██████
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
.♦♦♦.XSL Labs.♦♦♦.
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
██████
|  WHITEPAPER 
  AUDIO WP
|Confidentiality
Authenticity
Integrity
Cluster2k
Legendary

Activity: 1692
Merit: 1018

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 12:39:45 PM

We need a lot less of these stories.  Anything with a return in the thousands of percent per year sounds like a scam.  If it's too good to true... and all that.  People need to use bitcoin because it's useful and fills a niche in the financial system.  I would rather not have them enter the system because they think they'll be millionaires in a couple of years time for pocket change today.
Odrec

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 12:45:33 PM

We need a lot less of these stories.  Anything with a return in the thousands of percent per year sounds like a scam.  If it's too good to true... and all that.  People need to use bitcoin because it's useful and fills a niche in the financial system.  I would rather not have them enter the system because they think they'll be millionaires in a couple of years time for pocket change today.

Well for me it worked, I got curious about bitcoin because of that story but then as I informed myself the idea behind bitcoin and the consequences of its wide adoption made me even more interested than just the getting rich possibility. Now I genuinely want to contribute for this thing to succeed. I think stories like those could lure many type of people and that's kind of good IMO.

600watt
Legendary

Activity: 2338
Merit: 2106

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 12:51:11 PM

in terms of btc a 10fold difference is nothing. just another year.

currently i need another 4fold and i will retire  Grin
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 03:51:38 PM

People who know that will never sell bitcoins on dumps will just buy the cheap one's Smiley

There is always panic when the trains leaves the station without you Wink.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
Wilhelm
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1265

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 11:07:59 PM

I entered late so three years for me Cheesy

Bitcoin is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get !!
BitchicksHusband

Activity: 378
Merit: 255

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 11:11:44 PM

I need 15x more to retire, but "I'm an idiot that should sell all my coins immediately because it's a bubble."

1BitcHiCK1iRa6YVY6qDqC6M594RBYLNPo
fleabag

Activity: 98

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 02:37:33 AM

So did you dump them?
jasonjm (OP)

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2013, 05:18:43 AM

yeah I sold approx 300 coins between 320 and 380

I have 100 coins left

I will dump all at $1000 if that happens within a few weeks

you guys do all realize that only around 5% of us can take profit on bitcoin? any more than that and the price will literally go to $10 or so

on the day silk road got shutdown, there was heavy selling volume on the exchanges, approx 200 000 coins ( or 2%). not all of those were sells, so lets say 160 000 sells.

that was enough to drop BTC price almost 50% on some exchanges

now..... imagine 5% of people or 600 000 coins are sold within 48 hours.

it would literally devastate bitcoin prices.

So....... although I like bitcoin, when you get down to it, every person who is hoarding bitcoins (myself included) is pretty much counting on the fact that they will somehow be the first to sell when the time comes. But obviously this is impossible, 95% of us have to be wrong.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 05:26:28 AM

Only on bitcointalk is a 173% gain in 30 days considered "stable".

Note: I am not saying buy, sell, or hold just pointing out the unintentional humor in that statement.

"Can you believe it, the DOW doubled last month?  I know I haven't seen stability like that in years".
bassclef

Activity: 924

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 05:32:28 AM

I have 100 coins left

you guys do all realize that only around 5% of us can take profit on bitcoin? any more than that and the price will literally go to $10 or so

on the day silk road got shutdown, there was heavy selling volume on the exchanges, approx 200 000 coins ( or 2%). not all of those were sells, so lets say 160 000 sells.

So....... although I like bitcoin, when you get down to it, every person who is hoarding bitcoins (myself included) is pretty much counting on the fact that they will somehow be the first to sell when the time comes. But obviously this is impossible, 95% of us have to be wrong.

I personally think this is a myopic view, but feel free to sell your coins to stronger hands.
jasonjm (OP)

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2013, 05:45:52 AM

Only on bitcointalk is a 173% gain in 30 days considered "stable".

Note: I am not saying buy, sell, or hold just pointing out the unintentional humor in that statement.

"Can you believe it, the DOW doubled last month?  I know I haven't seen stability like that in years".

Yeah the greed is off the charts.
antimattercrusader

Activity: 308

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 05:46:36 AM

Hold (years) FTW

BTC: 13WYhobWLHRMvBwXGq5ckEuUyuDPgMmHuK
jasonjm (OP)

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2013, 05:48:00 AM

I have 100 coins left

I personally think this is a myopic view, but feel free to sell your coins to stronger hands.

If you have been trading for a long time,  you would realize there is no such thing as a strong or weak hand.  That saying is worthless.  There are only profitable and unprofitable hands.
jasonjm (OP)

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2013, 05:52:18 AM

You guys literally don't get it.  Only 5 percent can take profit.  95 percent have to get burnt.
BitPirate

Activity: 238

RMBTB.com: The secure BTC:CNY exchange. 0% fee!

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 05:54:54 AM

Sure there will be a crash. But it doesn't matter, as it will rise again. But don't think there won't be one -- it will be more sickening than you expect.

derpinheimer
Legendary

Activity: 896

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 05:55:16 AM

You guys literally don't get it.  Only 5 percent can take profit.  95 percent have to get burnt.

No. People can cash out as the price rises. As long as there is money inflow everyone can profit. Since bitcoin is a currency/store of value, even those at the end are not "doomed to be holding the bags", like in a typical pyramid scheme.

People earlier this year PROFITED at $30. They never have to come back and buy "at a loss".

People are profiting every day at $380.

notme
Legendary

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 06:01:05 AM

You literally don't get it.  Bitcoin doesn't have to go to zero until something better comes along.  Then it will be those who don't accept progress who once again are left with the rubble of the old ways.

antimattercrusader

Activity: 308

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 06:05:08 AM

Only one thing to do now.

PANIC

BTC: 13WYhobWLHRMvBwXGq5ckEuUyuDPgMmHuK
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 06:16:19 AM

Only one thing to do now.

PANIC

Taken care of

jasonjm (OP)

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2013, 06:29:59 AM

No. People can cash out as the price rises. As long as there is money inflow everyone can profit. Since bitcoin is a currency/store of value, even those at the end are not "doomed to be holding the bags", like in a typical pyramid scheme.

People earlier this year PROFITED at $30. They never have to come back and buy "at a loss".

not true... think about it.... at the end of the final cycle up whenever that may be, 100% of those people are left holding the bags.

so if you use your bitcoin to buy drugs, transfer money to people, buy things on the internet, thats fine, you are using the currency and not hoarding / holding BTC - you will have no issues with BTC.

BUT if you are speculating, and holding BTC, in the end, a massive amount of people must get burned. Logically, only the same amount of money that went into bitcoin can come out of bitcoin. For every seller there MUST be a buyer, or the price collapses.

So unless you propose that it will stay at a fixed value, with a never ending arrival of new buyers, and more amazingly, sellers who never buy back in again, this eventually has to end in tears for most people. That or bitcoin must approach a value of infinity - literally always going up, so there is never a final high.

What you are actually talking about in your earlier reply is the "greater fool theory" - where the earlier participants find the fool to hold the bag for them.

Everyone involved with BTC just sees $$$s and riches. No one seems to actually sit down and think things through.
Paladin69

Activity: 784

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 06:35:12 AM

I have 100 coins left

You sir are one of the few on these boards that seems to understand what profit-taking means around here.  Congrats on your sale.  Go buy a car outright and pay off the mortgage.

You don't deserve to be shit on in this thread.  If it weren't for people who sold.  Bitcoin wouldn't be where it is today in the first place.  People don't seem to understand this.

Just like binary, 0 or 1, Bitcoin could greatly succeed, or greatly fail.  It's a 50-50 shot.  You were playing roulette and landed on your color.  The rest of us are still spinning.

windjc
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1070

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 06:37:02 AM

not true... think about it.... at the end of the final cycle up whenever that may be, 100% of those people are left holding the bags.

so if you use your bitcoin to buy drugs, transfer money to people, buy things on the internet, thats fine, you are using the currency and not hoarding / holding BTC - you will have no issues with BTC.

BUT if you are speculating, and holding BTC, in the end, a massive amount of people must get burned. Logically, only the same amount of money that went into bitcoin can come out of bitcoin. For every seller there MUST be a buyer, or the price collapses.

So unless you propose that it will stay at a fixed value, with a never ending arrival of new buyers, and more amazingly, sellers who never buy back in again, this eventually has to end in tears for most people. That or bitcoin must approach a value of infinity - literally always going up, so there is never a final high.

What you are actually talking about in your earlier reply is the "greater fool theory" - where the earlier participants find the fool to hold the bag for them.

Everyone involved with BTC just sees $$$s and riches. No one seems to actually sit down and think things through.

Why are you stating the obvious? How much money is there to be made in Microsoft stock? Yet people still invest in it and trade it.

What the heck is your point? Everything you say is obvious.

Go study the potential market cap for bitcoin if it becomes integrated into society in one or various ways. Then you will understand that you are just pissing into the wind right now.
AndrewWilliams

Activity: 182

Fourth richest fictional character

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 06:44:17 AM

Three accounts.

Sell all in number one when it hits $500

Sell all in number two when it hits $1,000

Never sell all in account number three Smiley
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 06:47:27 AM

Three accounts.

Sell all in number one when it hits $500

Sell all in number two when it hits $1,000

Never sell all in account number three Smiley

Every time BTC triples, sell half.  You will never run out of coins and your BTC and non-BTC wealth will increase as long as the exchange rate does.
wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 07:34:05 AM

Left holding "the bag"? Sir, USD is the bag, Bitcoin is the prize.
600watt
Legendary

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 07:39:33 AM

so in all stock trade the majority of the buyers will get burned ? why is stock trading still around ? why do you have companies with stocks that are selling for decades ? and bitcoin isn´t even a stock, stock performance isn´t the limit.
zby
Legendary

Activity: 1592

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 08:30:44 AM

so in all stock trade the majority of the buyers will get burned ? why is stock trading still around ? why do you have companies with stocks that are selling for decades ? and bitcoin isn´t even a stock, stock performance isn´t the limit.

You forgot about dividends.
BitchicksHusband

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 08:55:31 AM

No, I didn't realize that.  I believe that those of us with bitcoins would sell slowly to those who Mommy Newscaster is telling to buy even though it's way too late.  And we would make a lot of money.  Sure, someone could panic sell leading to more panic sells and a crash, but I don't see how that's in anyone's interest when we could all sell slowly.  Still, it could happen, but I think if 5% of the money leaves, then bitcoin would probably go down by...5%?

And a drop from $140 to $110 isn't 50% by my calculations.  And the immediate correction to $130 scares me even less.

I still don't accept the initial premise.  Yes, if 50% of the money exited on the same day this would be the case.  But not 5%.  I just don't see it.  And since Apple, Google, Microsoft and the like haven't disappeared even though they have probably lost 5% of their value at some point, I just don't buy this line of reasoning.

Still, glad to see you are taking some small profits and are happy with your result.  We'll see if this thread is mocked or celebrated in the future, but personally, since it's the difference between retiring next year or working the rest of my life, I'll wait it out a bit longer.  If I'm wrong, I can always just work the rest of my life and not worry about what I have lost because I can afford to lose it.

Spaceman_Spiff
Legendary

Activity: 1638

₪``Campaign Manager´´₪

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 11:04:04 AM

Logically, only the same amount of money that went into bitcoin can come out of bitcoin.
Your logic is faulty, that's not how it works.
Consider if some fatal bug was discovered, that made it very clear bitcoin will never succeed. Nobody would be a buyer anymore (except perhaps some crazy person, who could buy all of them for pennies), the money that went into bitcoin would never flow out.  The perceived wealth just disappeared, thereby causing a negative 'wealth effect', decreasing inflation.
In the opposite example, bitcoin can represent more wealth than the dollars that were put into it.

So you believe it is all hype, and that bitcoin could never establish itself it as a major part of the world's digital/economic ecosystem. That is fine, however you should clearly state things like this in your opening post, as well as your reasons why. Most people on this forum disagree. Arguments are pretty unproductive when both sides can't even fully specify what they are discussing. Sadly, this is usually the case.
Nice post.
crazy_rabbit
Legendary

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 11:06:28 AM

Logically, only the same amount of money that went into bitcoin can come out of bitcoin.
Your logic is faulty, that's not how it works.

Definitely not how the FED works.

more or less retired.
jasonjm (OP)

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2013, 03:23:36 PM

untrue. unless you are saying the stock is say twitter or something similar. then I will give you that. But if the stock is say a large oil company, they 1) have assets 2) have revenue 3) pay dividends..... this is not the same as bitcoin

or lets say you just speculate on a commodity like corn. those futures represent something tangible and quantifiable - corn.
jasonjm (OP)

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2013, 03:31:44 PM

No, I didn't realize that.  I believe that those of us with bitcoins would sell slowly to those who Mommy Newscaster is telling to buy even though it's way too late.  And we would make a lot of money.  Sure, someone could panic sell leading to more panic sells and a crash, but I don't see how that's in anyone's interest when we could all sell slowly.  Still, it could happen, but I think if 5% of the money leaves, then bitcoin would probably go down by...5%?

And a drop from $140 to $110 isn't 50% by my calculations.  And the immediate correction to $130 scares me even less.

I still don't accept the initial premise.  Yes, if 50% of the money exited on the same day this would be the case.  But not 5%.  I just don't see it.  And since Apple, Google, Microsoft and the like haven't disappeared even though they have probably lost 5% of their value at some point, I just don't buy this line of reasoning.

Still, glad to see you are taking some small profits and are happy with your result.  We'll see if this thread is mocked or celebrated in the future, but personally, since it's the difference between retiring next year or working the rest of my life, I'll wait it out a bit longer.  If I'm wrong, I can always just work the rest of my life and not worry about what I have lost because I can afford to lose it.

sorry, but your calculations are incorrect. Go look at the order depth for bitcoin and add them up across the major exchanges. Of the 5 biggest exchanges, where 90% + o the volume is per day, there are approx 400 000 buy orders parked above $100.

However in a free fall a lot of those buys get pulled. So to summarize, if there is sustained selling of 400 000 coins over hours (for whatever reason due to a panic) the price will be around $100 at best from here.

the day gox crashed from 260 to 100 in one day, was less than 200 000 coins sold, which was approx 2 to 3% of the float.
jasonjm (OP)

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2013, 03:53:56 PM

BTW of the last two parabolic moves up in bitcoin, first one lasted 20 days

second one lasted close to 40 days

we are currently at 30 days on this one

Rannasha

Activity: 728

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 03:57:03 PM

So since the length of each parabolic move up is double that of the previous, this one should last for 80 days.

Right?
jasonjm (OP)

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2013, 04:16:57 PM

yeah its possible it lasts 80 days, I give you that

but I believe its unlikely, my opinion. To keep the same pace which parabolic moves need to do so they do not collapse upon themselves, that would put bitcoin at approx $3000 at the end of 80 days.

if it lasts less than 40 days, then there is definitely a good range guide for future parabolic moves (20 to 40 days).

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 04:18:03 PM

So since the length of each parabolic move up is double that of the previous, this one should last for 80 days.

Right?

Of course.

jasonjm (OP)

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2013, 04:23:24 PM

Right?

Of course.

lol. very funny I am stealing that image
BittBurger

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 04:56:39 PM

It has been above 100 (95% of the time) since July.

That's not sufficient for you?

Your criteria are included in anything above 120 .... so you have 3 solid months above 100.

Owner: "The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
View it on the Blockchain | Genesis Block Newspaper Copies
jasonjm (OP)

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2013, 05:22:53 PM

no, if you read my post it says between 120 and 150

not above 120 only

prices tripling in 30 days is not even close to stable.
Sitarow
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1047

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 05:33:47 PM

Since we are sharing, I'm not dumping any of my coins. I hope this information is a valuable contribution to this forum.

Good things come to those who wait.....

And for those who can`t, at the very least enjoy the ride!
DigitalHermit

Activity: 150

Thank you! Thank you! ...

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 05:57:09 PM

You guys literally don't get it.  Only 5 percent can take profit.  95 percent have to get burnt.

Have you considered the possibility of the exact opposite outcome?

In a hyperinflationary scenario only 5 percent can get out of government fiat before it's value is completely destroyed. The remaining 95 percent have to get burnt.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-11-13/porsche-911s-at-39-off-spurs-argentina-crackdown-on-peso.html

The same scenario could play out in every country, not just Argentina. Sure, you might "profit" in government fiat in the short term, but in the long term the outcome is not as clear.

I'll take my chances with Bitcoin, Gold and Silver, thank you.
jasonjm (OP)

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2013, 06:06:32 PM

yeah right and let me guess, all the buy and hold forevers are going to come back to this forum after bitcoin has crashed and claim they sold within $10 of the top.
Chainsaw

Activity: 625

x

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 06:17:25 PM

I made a spreadsheet (linked to from this thread) that lets you play around with the short-term and long-term impacts of various cash-out strategies on the way up.

I use it to the withdrawal percentages at which I don't need to lose sleep over the short-term movements of Bitcoin price, nor the long-term impact of a total collapse, or insane success.

Thread conversation seemed to gravitate towards tax implications and the broader notion of wealth management. That's a layer above the intent of the thread and spreadsheet, so I feel compelled to add: Due your own diligence regarding the tax implications of your selling strategy.

Hawker
Legendary

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 06:20:10 PM

yeah right and let me guess, all the buy and hold forevers are going to come back to this forum after bitcoin has crashed and claim they sold within $10 of the top.

The top is a long long way off.  Bitcoin is not even at the start of being adopted by a small country.  I worked out that Cyprus alone would push the value to well over $11k immediately it switched.  

The stutters you see in today's markets are just background noise in an inevitable climb.
piramida
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1010

Borsche

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 06:53:53 PM

All the buy-and-hold forevers have seen many such topics at $7, $14, $30 levels. We pity you.

i am satoshi
mgio

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 07:01:26 PM

It's good to have some fiat available so you can buy in when there is a crash. That is, if you are long-term bullish on bitcoin which pretty much everyone here is or they wouldn't be on this forum.

I had roughly 1,000 coins and planned on selling 250 at $350. I've sold 100 so far and hopefully will no be able to sell the other 150 at >$400.

If bitcoin continues to rise, great, the rest of my coins will be worth more.

If it crashes to below $300 or even below $200 I'll take the $100k fromt he sold coins and buy back. I'll have more coins than I started with and still be happy. Being long term bullish I know it will be back above $400 again even if there is a huge crash.
kireinaha

Activity: 350
Merit: 253

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 07:04:08 PM

The top is a long long way off.  Bitcoin is not even at the start of being adopted by a small country.  I worked out that Cyprus alone would push the value to well over $11k immediately it switched.  

The stutters you see in today's markets are just background noise in an inevitable climb.

Nobody knows what the top is... bitcoin investors are becoming so starry eyed now that some are believing it's an almost certainty that bitcoin is going to reach a 100x market cap (or more). Bitcoin is nowhere close to large scale adoption, there are far too many security and safekeeping issues involved for the average user. There are still many things that could happen between now and then that could cause bitcoin to fall to zero (or close).

Night gathers, and now my bitcoinwisdom watch begins.
Wekkel
Legendary

Activity: 3108
Merit: 1531

yes

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 07:06:30 PM

Nobody knows what the top is... bitcoin investors are becoming so starry eyed now that some are believing it's an almost certainty that bitcoin is going to reach a 100x market cap (or more). Bitcoin is nowhere close to large scale adoption, there are far too many security and safekeeping issues involved for the average user. There are still many things that could happen between now and then that could cause bitcoin to fall to zero (or close).

The crash will be epic.

AndrewWilliams

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 07:17:49 PM

The crash will be epic.

Indeed. The coming crash will bleed all the starry eyed investors who think Bitcoin is still going to up exponentially before correcting.

A very expensive lesson is awaiting the uber-confident.

Smart money will come back in and scoop up cheaper Bitcoins for the real ride to the top Cheesy

Crash, here we come!
proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 07:22:29 PM

All the buy-and-hold forevers have seen many such topics at $7, $14, $30 levels. We pity you.

Don't forget $0.5, $1, $2, $3, $4, $5, and $6.

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
the joint
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 07:51:42 PM

Taking a profit is never stupid.*  You stay liquid, you can buy back in, and you (currently) can use your profits to pay for any expense you might incur.  Basically, you win.

*A caveat: taking a profit might be stupid if your decision to profit isn't based upon the same principles as your overall approach to investing (e,g, buy and hold until BTC reaches 'x' price, or 'y' years, etc.).

When you invest, you need to create an investment plan and stick to it, otherwise you're basically gambling.  "Feelings" and intuition are good at times, but in general, it's thinking that keeps you consistent, and thinking can let you know when some "feelings" are justified.

For example, let's say that you believe Bitcoin is going to be around for at least 5 more years and that the market will continue to grow throughout that time.  Let's also say that you've spent a significant amount of time researching everything there is to know about Bitcoin to reach those conclusions.  If a few months later you get a "feeling" that the price is too high because it has been rising rapidly, and if this feeling encourages you into selling the majority of your holdings, then your decision is at odds with your original beliefs about Bitcoin.  You may have profited, but your own reasoning initially suggested that holding would have been a better option...you expected the rise in price to begin with.

jasonjm (OP)

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2013, 08:19:06 PM

The crash will be epic.

oh yeah, I agree, epic... normally I leave buy orders back down to try buy back in but this time I am too scared, i think I might sit this one out or at least place buy orders at an insanely low number, like $70

if you look at exchange volume, almost all this new money into BTC has come from china. And working with the chinese on a weekly basis, my opinion is that they couldn't care one bit about the philosophical pros of bitcoin. They are in it for one thing - to make money. So when they sell, there might be some big selling.

piramida
Legendary

Borsche

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 08:19:59 PM

Don't forget $0.5, $1, $2, $3, $4, $5, and $6.

I don't remember $2 profit taking, only some pathetic "fuck it I'm out of here" threads Smiley proudhon, nice to see you, are you here to predict the crash to single digits again or you changed to some other target? Smiley

i am satoshi
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 08:33:47 PM
Last edit: November 13, 2013, 08:57:00 PM by DeathAndTaxes

The crash will be epic.

Indeed. The coming crash will bleed all the starry eyed investors who think Bitcoin is still going to up exponentially before correcting.

A very expensive lesson is awaiting the uber-confident.

Smart money will come back in and scoop up cheaper Bitcoins for the real ride to the top Cheesy

Crash, here we come!

I am long term bullish on Bitcoin.  Hell Bitcoin gave me the financial freedom to leave my "day job" and start my own company.  However comments (combined with recent price action) like the one you replied to (and others) ake me wonder if I should move some coins out of cold storage and sell into the rally.

It seems like you are right.  It is no longer Bitcoin "may" reach $10,000 (or $100,000, or $1 quadrillion or any other target you want) but that it is a 100% certainty Bitcoin will go up 1000x from here.  Not only will it go up, it will do so with no corrections along the way.  Not only will there be corrections along the way the idea of mass adoptions in years (or a decade) has now been shrunk to months.  Another thread I saw some noob with no idea how Bitcoin works, what it is, or why it has utility just wanting to buy some with a credit card before it explodes overnight making everyone billionaires.  Anectdotes I know but the sentiment has turned to short term hyper bullish.

Note: I am not making a prediction on a timeline or severity of any future crash just pointing out that in any market (and yes Bitcoin is not immune) when sentiment turns to 100% bullish that is usually when a correction is right around the corner.  Lately even the sentiment itself has been in a bubble, "Bitcoin hits $500 by the end of the year, no Bitcoin hits $1,000 by the end of the month, no Bitcoin hits $20,000 by the time I finish taking a shit" (ok I made last one up but you get my point).
AndrewWilliams

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 08:53:51 PM

I am long term bullish on Bitcoin.  Hell Bitcoin gave me the financial freedom to leave my "day job" and start my own company.  However comments (combined with recent price action) like the one you posted make me wonder if I should move some coins out of cold storage and sell into the rally.

It seems like you are right.  It is no longer Bitcoin "may" reach $10,000 (or $100,000, or $1 quadrrilion or any other target you want) but that it is a 100% certainty Bitcoin will go up 1000x from here.  Not only will it go up, it will do so with no corrections along the way.  Not only will there be corrections along the way the idea of mass adoptions in years (or a decade) has now been shrunk to months. 

Another thread I saw some noob with no idea how Bitcoin works, what it is, or why it has utility just wanting to buy some with a credit card before it explodes overnight making everyone billionaires.

Note: I am not making a prediction on a timeline or severity of any crash just pointing out that in any market (and yes Bitcoin is not immune) when sentiment turns to 100% bullish that is usually when a correction is right around the corner.  Lately even the sentiment has been in a bubble ("Bitcoin hits $500 by the end of the year, no Bitcoin hits $1,000 by the end of the month, no Bitcoin hits $20,000 by the time I finish taking a shit").

That's why I keep my Bitcoin in different baskets. I bought Bitcoin with the outlook that I would be tempted to sell at different times, so I put them in three different "baskets."

Exactly. Sell when everyone is yelling "buy!"
Buy when there's blood in the streets.
jasonjm (OP)

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2013, 08:55:30 PM

Gox $445 lol

wow the froth is foaming at the mouth now

I am now 90% out

the chart is now literally almost vertical lol

AndrewWilliams

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 09:04:03 PM

EvilPanda

Activity: 658

Small Red and Bad

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 09:06:28 PM

I sold my stash today as well. Chinese market is going up slowly while the others are racing like crazy. Most of my BTC came from the last dip and that gave me $100 per BTC in just 3 days. I dont want to push my luck, got bills to pay and things to buy.

freebird

Activity: 414

Freedom through Cryptocurrency!

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 09:08:18 PM

Gox $445 lol

I am now 90% out

Keep in mind that China is still below its all-time high. It's currently 2577 on http://bitcoinity.org/markets/btcchina/CNY and the high is 2630. Assuming they break it, the current rally will keep going a lot higher.

Grantcoin: Currency with a Conscience. Distributed as charitable grants by a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt nonprofit organization. Learn more at Grantcoin.org
jasonjm (OP)

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2013, 09:12:02 PM

Gox $445 lol

I am now 90% out

Keep in mind that China is still below its all-time high. It's currently 2577 on http://bitcoinity.org/markets/btcchina/CNY and the high is 2630. Assuming they break it, the current rally will keep going a lot higher.

cant be right all the time. If it goes to $1000 so be it. No regrets here. Better to be wrong and still make a bunch of money, than be wrong and lose a bunch of money.

I just cashed in approx $100 000 usd for doing pretty much nothing.
cdog

Activity: 1036

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 09:14:40 PM

Left holding "the bag"? Sir, USD is the bag, Bitcoin is the prize.

This is what a lot of people in this thread dont understand. They are saying BTC price isnt sustainable.

How about the $100M the US treasury issues every hour? Think about that. Just think about how much $100M is, and how long 1 hour is.

Yes, the USD might be the prettiest horse in the glue factory, but its still a horse is a glue factory. Simple as that people.

BitchicksHusband

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 09:16:07 PM

You're right.  I literally don't get this (since, from my perspective, it isn't remotely true).  Enlighten me instead of repeating yourself.

Give examples where this has obviously happened to a new technology that followed a Sigmoid curve in the past.

freebird

Activity: 414

Freedom through Cryptocurrency!

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 09:18:12 PM

cant be right all the time. If it goes to $1000 so be it. No regrets here. Better to be wrong and still make a bunch of money, than be wrong and lose a bunch of money.

Congrats. There's nothing wrong with following the old adage, "Bulls make money, bears make money, pigs get slaughtered." Nothing wrong with locking in some profits. But I think being in 90% fiat and only 10% bitcoin right after we broke through the all-time high might be too cautious. If China breaks it's all-time high (which could happen today) do you plan to get back in at least 50% bitcoin? I think that would be a good risk to take. JMHO.

Grantcoin: Currency with a Conscience. Distributed as charitable grants by a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt nonprofit organization. Learn more at Grantcoin.org
AndrewWilliams

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 09:20:57 PM

You're right.  I literally don't get this (since, from my perspective, it isn't remotely true).  Enlighten me instead of repeating yourself.

Give examples where this has obviously happened to a new technology that followed a Sigmoid curve in the past.

It's like the stock market. If I can sell now and buy again at $200, I will do it.

If you hold then more power to you, but you are missing out on opportunity.

Loss of opportunity = Loss of potential profit.
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 09:21:16 PM

That's a good point. I don't fault anyone for a successful strategy. You executed a clear plan and made a big profit. So what if the price goes to $1000.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
jasonjm (OP)

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2013, 09:27:04 PM

So you believe it is all hype, and that bitcoin could never establish itself it as a major part of the world's digital/economic ecosystem. That is fine, however you should clearly state things like this in your opening post, as well as your reasons why. Most people on this forum disagree. Arguments are pretty unproductive when both sides can't even fully specify what they are discussing. Sadly, this is usually the case.

Did you read my post? You guys aren't debating the status of the current upward move, you are debating bitcoin's general long term outlook. For Christ's sake. Now that this has been announced, maybe the discussion will be more fruitful.

Jasonjm, why do you think that bitcoin has no long term future and will end up going to zero (or marginally above 0)? Only after your position is understood can we make any sense of your trading strategy.

I really do like the concept of bitcoin, I think it is brilliant. I think the coins could have been distributed better, and I think that because so many got the coins for so little, it makes the prices unstable, but those are minor points.

that being said, I  think the final value of bitcoin will be ZERO for 2 reasons

1) governments will never ever let bitcoin compete with their local currencies. And bitcoin has a major Achilles heel - the exchanges. Destroy the exchanges worldwide, make the banks know they are in trouble for aiding anything bitcoin, and you destroy bitcoin.
2) people are too greedy, and not everyone can withdraw their money from bitcoin. You being able to withdraw to fiat relies on the fact that the other 95% do not want to. Eventually there will be a massive cashout which will destroy the bitcoin price.

But again this is irrelevant to my trading strategy. I trade futures, options, forex etc, have been doing so for 15 years. I don't get attached to anything, I am purely here to make money. All I am doing is looking for blow off tops and panic sells in bitcoin. And bitcoin is perfect for that, because unlike the futures market for example, where I am trading against hedge funds, deep pocketed veterans, HFT bots etc etc in bitcoin I am trading against a pretty idealistic crowd of people who generally have zero trading experience (no offence to anyone).
cdog

Activity: 1036

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 09:35:18 PM

Cant lie Im rooting for a huge correction so I can scoop up some cheap coins, moving around half my fiat holdings over.

Which is weird, because I want BTC to explode and succeed but Im also selfish, because Im a human being and this is a once in a generation opportunity.
piramida
Legendary

Borsche

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 09:40:17 PM

jason you make good points, you are here for the sole purpose of short-term making small amounts of USD, and your goal seems to be accomplished while also helping make the climb up less vertical. All is good Smiley I actually like more pros getting to know about bitcoins because when shit would really start hitting the fan (i.e. you would not know where to run with the stash of paper) you guys would be the ones driving price from 10k to infinity.

It is also possible that you will gradually see more and more value in storing part of your overall portfolio in BTC longterm. Right now, the faith seems weak in you Smiley Government can ban all exchanges in the world tomorrow and it won't change a thing, after the panic dissipates.

i am satoshi
BitchicksHusband

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 09:45:46 PM

I don't expect to sell within 10% of the "top".  I expect a stable price for many years just like Apple or Google stock.

BitchicksHusband

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 09:50:27 PM

Gox $445 lol

I am now 90% out

Cool.  Well, nice seeing you around here.  Take care.

freethink2013

Activity: 224

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 09:53:45 PM

Cant lie Im rooting for a huge correction so I can scoop up some cheap coins, moving around half my fiat holdings over.

Which is weird, because I want BTC to explode and succeed but Im also selfish, because Im a human being and this is a once in a generation opportunity.

Honestly I expected 400 today/tomorrow then approaching 500 on friday and then a correction down to 350 on sunday but now I think people will be thinking anything under 400 is a bargain just like at the last correction people thought anything under 300 is a bargain at which point we started going back up.
BitchicksHusband

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 09:54:32 PM

But again this is irrelevant to my trading strategy. I trade futures, options, forex etc, have been doing so for 15 years.

You don't say.

News flash: Bitcoin ISN'T a stock.  But no wonder you keep acting like it is.

AndrewWilliams

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 09:57:32 PM

But again this is irrelevant to my trading strategy. I trade futures, options, forex etc, have been doing so for 15 years.

You don't say.

It is subject to corrections like a stock.
freethink2013

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 10:00:48 PM

We're heading for a correction. There's no doubt about that. We're rising like paypal have announced a totally safe way and easy way to buy bitcoin yet bitcoin is neither easy nor arguably safe to buy.
BitchicksHusband

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 10:02:19 PM

You don't say.

No.  It's not.  It's a technology that's being adopted.  A stock in an established company CANNOT go logarithmic for 6 years straight but a brand-new technology CAN (difference between the early years of Microsoft and IBM during the same period).  Massive difference.  And one that experienced stock traders have complete blinders about.  

A couple months of logarithmic increase that is right on schedule (which follows 4 years of the exact same logarithmic increase that they weren't here for) and they panic sell and call everyone else idiots and throw up chicken little "sky is falling" warnings.  

AndrewWilliams

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 10:28:32 PM

No.  It's not.  It's a technology that's being adopted.  A stock in an established company CANNOT go logarithmic for 6 years straight but a brand-new technology CAN (difference between the early years of Microsoft and IBM during the same period).  Massive difference.  And one that experienced stock traders have complete blinders about.  

A couple months of logarithmic increase that is right on schedule (which follows 4 years of the exact same logarithmic increase that they weren't here for) and they panic sell and call everyone else idiots and throw up chicken little "sky is falling" warnings.  

My point is that the big shakers are going to crash the price so they can buy it up cheaper. That's all.

If you think Bitcoin is going up up up, and that it's not going to correct harshly like in April, you are in for a surprise.
wobber
Legendary

Activity: 1064

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 10:31:54 PM

My point is that the big shakers are going to crash the price so they can buy it up cheaper. That's all.

If you think Bitcoin is going up up up, and that it's not going to correct harshly like in April, you are in for a surprise.

+1

If you hate me, you can spam me here: 19wdQNKjnATkgXvpzmSrkSYhJtuJWb8mKs
BittBurger

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 10:39:42 PM

You don't say.

News flash: Bitcoin ISN'T a stock.  But no wonder you keep acting like it is.

Bitcoin husband nailed it.
All these finance experts telling me what bitcoin is going to do, and have been wrong .. oh ... 100% of the time.
The smartest of them finally acknowledged to me "This is something completely new.  Its not following the rules"
This is why their "knowledge" is going to be a stumbling block for them.

Bitcoin is NOT a stock.  ive been saying this over and over and over.
there are some similar aspects, but many very important ones simply dont match,

How can April happen again?   Bitcoin hasn't spiked and then dropped.  April happened.  It didn't happen twice.  Doesn't take a brain surgeon to see the different shape of the lines...

Owner: "The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
View it on the Blockchain | Genesis Block Newspaper Copies
CryptStorm

Activity: 126

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 10:40:14 PM

Hi guys, great thread and good conversation. I guess the thing that I would try to add is that, essentially, everyone is right (with the exception of Bitcoin failing).

What I'm trying to say is that the pattern of Bitcoin, seems, obviously:

up, up, up, up, up, up, up, up, up, up, up, up UPUPUPUPUPUP!!!!!!!!!! AND DOOOOOOOOOOOWNNNNNNN, (This parabolic correction to the norm being where people get a wee bit fired up), up, up, up, up, up, up, up, up, up, up, up, up...

Someday, I will have an avatar, maybe.
freethink2013

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 10:47:20 PM

You don't say.

No.  It's not.  It's a technology that's being adopted.  A stock in an established company CANNOT go logarithmic for 6 years straight but a brand-new technology CAN (difference between the early years of Microsoft and IBM during the same period).  Massive difference.  And one that experienced stock traders have complete blinders about. 

Bitcoin husband nailed it to the cooooooooooooooooooore.
All these finance experts telling me what bitcoin is going to do, and have been wrong .. oh ... 100% of the time.
The smartest of them finally acknowledged to me "This is something completely new.  Its not following the rules"

He's not saying 'sell all your bitcoin it's going to zero.' He's more saying something like 'if you sell 10 bitcoins now you'll be able to pickup 12 bitcoins at the weekend'

kireinaha

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 11:08:16 PM

Bitcoin husband nailed it.
The smartest of them finally acknowledged to me "This is something completely new.  Its not following the rules"

Bitcoin is NOT a stock.  ive been saying this over and over and over.
there are some similar aspects, but many very important ones simply dont match,

How can April happen again?   Bitcoin hasn't spiked and then dropped.  April happened.  It didn't happen twice.  Doesn't take a brain surgeon to see the different shape of the lines...

I assure you that bitcoin is indeed playing by the "rules". The rules dictate that when an asset's speculation outstrips it's real world utility, a price drop is not far away. We're in the middle of a manic bull swing right now, so it might be hard for people to unplug and recognize that, but nothing has fundamentally changed with bitcoin in the past few weeks to justify a 3x rise in value. I'm not sure why the comparison to stocks means anything here. Currencies and stocks can both be purchased and speculated upon, both can be overvalued and both will eventually fall back in such situations.

MAbtc

Activity: 826
Merit: 508

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 11:12:22 PM

Re: "the stock" issue. I don't like this all-or-nothing approach. I see a lot of this "bitcoin doesn't behave like a stock, don't analyze it as such." But, TA has nothing to do with stocks, per se. It attempts to analyze market psychology. Bitcoin does not exist inside a vacuum apart from market psychology. It is also clear to me from watching a couple very good analysts making very good entry/exit calls that there is indeed something to it.

Shrug....
jasonjm (OP)

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2013, 12:16:58 AM

You don't say.

lol

bitcoin is worse than a stock, right now its a chinese MOMO machine.....

what store of value or financial instrument has one day value fluctuations of 20%? none, because no sane person would consider this a safe store of value.
jasonjm (OP)

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2013, 12:26:57 AM

BTW I was one of the only people to call the last spike a bubble when it was happening, took a lot of heat for it, but was ultimately correct and bought back in for around $70 - giving me more than double the coins I had previous to the post.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=169651.0

so at least I have a track record - on record.

only this time I will be very cautious about buying back in, I have traded many chinese "instruments" (which is basically what bitcoin is now), and I can tell you straight up that they are crazy, the go to even more extremes than western markets - in both the up and the down. I think it goes with the asian culture of feeling more comfortable being in a group, they seem to have less of a sense of individuality, so they are even more comfortable in a herd mentality. But that is just my psyche 101 on them, it could be BS.

notme
Legendary

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 12:29:27 AM

BTW I was one of the only people to call the last spike a bubble when it was happening, took a lot of heat for it, but was ultimately correct and bought back in for around $70 - giving me more than double the coins I had previous to the post.

only this time I will be very cautious about buying back in, I have traded many chinese "instruments" (which is basically what bitcoin is now), and I can tell you straight up that they are crazy, the go to even more extremes than western markets - in both the up and the down. I think it goes with the asian culture of feeling more comfortable being in a group, they seem to have less of a sense of individuality, so they are even more comfortable in a herd mentality. But that is just my psyche 101 on them, it could be BS.

Good job selling over $100 before the top.  Certainly a record worth bragging about Roll Eyes.

jasonjm (OP)

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2013, 12:36:47 AM

jason you make good points, you are here for the sole purpose of short-term making small amounts of USD, and your goal seems to be accomplished while also helping make the climb up less vertical. All is good Smiley I actually like more pros getting to know about bitcoins because when shit would really start hitting the fan (i.e. you would not know where to run with the stash of paper) you guys would be the ones driving price from 10k to infinity.

It is also possible that you will gradually see more and more value in storing part of your overall portfolio in BTC longterm. Right now, the faith seems weak in you Smiley Government can ban all exchanges in the world tomorrow and it won't change a thing, after the panic dissipates.

oh but you are so wrong, the exchanges die, bitcoin will die. Do you really think people are going to walk around on the street dealing with strangers for cash to buy bitcoins? and what will you do with these bitcoins since the only way to use them would be the black market?

there are lots of other ways to protect against inflation / fiat debasement other than bitcoin (which I am not going to get into).
jasonjm (OP)

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2013, 12:39:52 AM

Good job selling over $100 before the top.  Certainly a record worth bragging about Roll Eyes.

Unfortunately I do not have a time machine like everyone else on bitcointalk. Like I said earlier when we see the top, I am sure everyone on this forum will post they sold within $10 of the top.

Meanwhile where is your trade log showing how you doubled the amount of coins you owned through trading? Perhaps you can use your time machine to go back in time and fix that?
danyy

Activity: 145

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 12:43:28 AM

I think this will go to 1000 before correction..

the chinneses still sees prices below 500 as extremely cheap.

kireinaha

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 12:43:54 AM

Unfortunately I do not have a time machine like everyone else on bitcointalk. Like I said earlier when we see the top, I am sure everyone on this forum will post they sold within $10 of the top.

Meanwhile where is your trade log showing how you doubled the amount of coins you owned through trading? Perhaps you can use your time machine to go back in time and fix that?

Even if you didn't sell at the top of the top, I'm sure you're still coming away from this with more cash than 99% of the people who post here. Many of them are firmly planted in the driver's seat of the bitcoin train, and will be gripping the throttle, white knuckled, as it goes flying off the cliff.

Of course, I'm not saying it's going to fail, but given the current trajectory I'd say it's the more likely scenario.

adamstgBit
Legendary

Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2013, 12:45:11 AM

and violate the temporal prime directive?

no f'n way!

Ardenyham
Legendary

Don't Hesitate to Tip me for My Helps and Guides.

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 12:51:13 AM

I doubt, corection will happen much sonner. Its good decision to dump part of coins. At least I hope, I already dumped some
windjc
Legendary

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 12:54:26 AM

oh but you are so wrong, the exchanges die, bitcoin will die. Do you really think people are going to walk around on the street dealing with strangers for cash to buy bitcoins? and what will you do with these bitcoins since the only way to use them would be the black market?

there are lots of other ways to protect against inflation / fiat debasement other than bitcoin (which I am not going to get into).

Your comments tell me you are only a trader. Not an innovator or someone who understands ascendent technology. You are definitely not a visionary.

You think we are near the top. Good for you. That's the only way you know how to communicate and interact with BTC because you only see this from a traders perspective.  Congrats, btw on doubling the # of coins you have, coins in which you think will be worthless.

Many many people trading BTC have double there coins and doubled their profit. Not hard to do as an early trader.

Btw, I have traded a variety of things for years also. And I think your technical analysis is absolutely incorrect. While China may be leading this rise, China did not start it. It just took the lead. And we will go up for a bit more and then we will correct. But China isnt going to crash anything.

April 2013 does not  equal Nov. 2013. If you did more research on the Bitcoin eco-system you would know this already. But I am not going to try to explain it to you.

I just wonder if you'll be on here to eat your crow when we go over $1000 in 2014? Doubt it.
MAbtc

Activity: 826
Merit: 508

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 12:57:02 AM

He doubled his coins on a big correction. I'd be happy with that. I'd say he did pretty well. Many losers trading this market.
jasonjm (OP)

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2013, 01:39:20 AM

well good luck all, I am signing out of this thread for a while

I will manually sell my last 10% of BTC at $1000

I have buy orders layered in from $150 down to $70

mgio

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 02:18:05 AM

People said it would go to 300 during the last bubble.

It never did. I never sold and I got burned.

This time it makes sense to sell at least a little as it goes up. When the inevitable correction comes you can buy back in. If not, you still can continue to make money on the coins you have left.

I feel that the chances of us seeing <$300 again are greater than the chances of us seeing $1000. We will see $1000 someday, the question is whether there will be a crash before then.

I bought most of my coins at around $10, so I am not sad selling at $400.
BitchicksHusband

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 05:41:57 AM

Nice.  Good job.  But if you bought them at $10, how did you get burned?

Crazy

Merit: 106

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 05:44:20 AM

Nice.  Good job.  But if you bought them at $10, how did you get burned?
Probably where "most" comes into play.

Elon Krusky
Paladin69

Activity: 784

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 05:48:08 AM

well good luck all, I am signing out of this thread for a while

I will manually sell my last 10% of BTC at $1000

What percent of your sale are you using to get back in?  Do you start with a smaller percent at layer $150 or a higher one?  Four layers?  And what reasoning did you layer between those values?

Thanks.
BitchicksHusband

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 06:12:33 AM

To all of you panic buying because you missed the "greatest thing ever", mark this post, within 6 months you will be able to buy in much lower, I have a large buy order at $35 (just above the 2011 high).

So, let's see, you missed your buy order.

if this were an established commodity like gold, copper, soybeans, or a currency cross, which I have been trading for 15 years, that is the smart buy point - not at $159

$35 was a dumb buy price, because you'd still be holding fiat.  The $159 that I bought some of my coins at is sounding like a much better buy right about now, since it's worth almost 3× now.

you just need to look at the naivete of the posts on this board to know this is a sucker rally.

Sounds like you were saying the same things then.

"i'm loaning money to ....."

Yeah, OK, that's dumb.  Don't borrow money to invest in bitcoin.  You could lose it all.

" I save $200 a month and im putting it all in bitcoins ...... "

Sounds smart to me.

DoomDumas
Legendary

Activity: 1002

Bitcoin

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 06:25:57 AM

Must look at Log Chart to have realistic comparison with the past.. This is'nt going parabolic yet..   Log Scale are much more realistic.. Linear Scale chart are amplified version and not a good reference imo ..
theecoinomist

Activity: 200

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 03:53:14 PM

I often smile when I see people talking so much about the $500 and $1000 price points.. Have we not yet realized the majority of bitcoins are traded in the great land of China?

jasonjm (OP)

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2013, 04:28:22 PM
Last edit: November 14, 2013, 04:53:19 PM by jasonjm

I'm out - for real this time.

busy using all the proceeds to buy gold (yeah I know that will be a very unpopular decision here because bitcoin is much better than gold, but so be it).

I will consider buying bitcoin again at $70 or under (obviously not with parked orders as those are gone), and i would probably need to see it stabilize under 70 for me to get interested, not just a spike down.

watching the exchanges last night, any sell candle for 1000 to 2000 BTC would drop each of the 4 big exchanges prices approx 5 to 7% - so any sale of 1/50 to 1/100th of 1% of BTC coins in existence drops the exchanges 5 to 7% - which is totally nuts. You all skating on ice that is about 1 atom thick.

But those are my last thoughts on the subject, wishing you all the best of luck (really) since I no longer have any skin in the game, good luck.

CoinCube
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1055

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 04:35:02 PM

I think gold is a good play.
I strongly recommend you take the physical gold
and not invest in paper gold.

I suspect people holding the paper will get forced conversion to fiat
sometime in the future.

jasonjm (OP)

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2013, 04:51:19 PM

im buying physical only
Syke
Legendary

Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 04:54:08 PM

I'm out - for real this time.

Thank you! Whoever bought your coins will be very happy in a few months. I hope you made a nice profit too.

Buy & Hold
john_doe

Activity: 137

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 06:02:01 PM

I will consider buying bitcoin again at $70 or under (obviously not with parked orders as those are gone), and i would probably need to see it stabilize under 70 for me to get interested, not just a spike down.

I very much doubt we will ever see that price again.

If you believe my post is helpful and you feel like donating a small amount, please use this address: 165i2m6WNT3v4KPWbFesKhceaXf2shcUDR
reactive4ce

Activity: 129

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 06:37:16 PM

watching the exchanges last night, any sell candle for 1000 to 2000 BTC would drop each of the 4 big exchanges prices approx 5 to 7% - so any sale of 1/50 to 1/100th of 1% of BTC coins in existence drops the exchanges 5 to 7% - which is totally nuts. You all skating on ice that is about 1 atom thick.

Exactly like stock market. I do not worry too much about exchange rates volatility, 1 BTC is still 1 BTC tommorow
InwardContour

Activity: 644
Merit: 260

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 06:39:16 PM

Exactly like stock market. I do not worry too much about exchange rates volatility, 1 BTC is still 1 BTC tommorow
exactly, which is why i would like to sell on the way up and buy more tomorrow on the way down!  Cheesy
Sonica

Activity: 122

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 06:42:40 PM

I sold 80% of my bitcoins today. I have no regrets, I made a hefty profit.
piramida
Legendary

Borsche

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 08:53:13 PM

Yeah that is the thing with selling bitcoins - you have no regrets for like a whole week, then maybe a month of being happy that you got out on "top", and then you regret it for the rest of your life Smiley

i am satoshi
piramida
Legendary

Borsche

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 09:04:49 PM

I guess we will see in several years. Bitcoin can perfectly survive and prosper underground, even if only used for black market trades or internet transactions - these are growing and no, paypal is not an answer. Definitely, if all exchanges and possession becomes illegal, the effect will last for years, but in the long term, bitcoin would still win, because it is unstoppable as long as internet is there, and there will always be demand for convenient internet gold, now that the idea is out of the bottle. Good luck with your metals investment Wink Maybe it will work out. Unless bitcoin takes off faster, that has a side effect of seriously devaluing gold Wink

i am satoshi
Odalv
Legendary

Activity: 1400

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 09:13:48 PM

I guess we will see in several years. Bitcoin can perfectly survive and prosper underground, even if only used for black market trades or internet transactions - these are growing and no, paypal is not an answer. Definitely, if all exchanges and possession becomes illegal, the effect will last for years, but in the long term, bitcoin would still win, because it is unstoppable as long as internet is there, and there will always be demand for convenient internet gold, now that the idea is out of the bottle. Good luck with your metals investment Wink Maybe it will work out. Unless bitcoin takes off faster, that has a side effect of seriously devaluing gold Wink

+1

The worst case scenario. (Ownership of Bitcoin cannot be proven. .. only by owner :-) )
Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2013, 10:40:10 PM

Can you back that statement up?  Why 5%?  Considering that far less then .1% of the worlds population holds Bitcoin wouldn't we have a long way to go?

I have no idea where the price will end up.  But even if bitcoin captures 1/10 of paypals volume the price would be pretty high. 

EvilPanda

Activity: 658

Small Red and Bad

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 09:56:06 AM
Last edit: November 15, 2013, 10:25:54 AM by EvilPanda

Yeah that is the thing with selling bitcoins - you have no regrets for like a whole week, then maybe a month of being happy that you got out on "top", and then you regret it for the rest of your life Smiley

I have regrets almost every time cause I'm cautious (or scared) and usually sell long before the top. IMO he did good - left himself 20% and sold the rest so he can still profit. His 20% can still be more than most of us hold. If you hold big it's perfectly normal to be scared when it goes up like it did last week.

N_S

Activity: 238

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 11:51:18 PM

lol...best of luck
freethink2013

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 12:09:24 AM

for any of tou speculators there's a link in my sig you could win some perhaps worthless coin
Rupture

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 12:13:43 AM

Shoulda held onto them OP  Shocked
Odalv
Legendary

Activity: 1400

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 10:52:02 PM

SELL HIGH BUY HIGHER (really good strategy :-) )
windjc
Legendary

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 11:45:43 PM

Jasonjm has been conspicuously absent during this correction recovery.
favelle75

Activity: 910

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 11:50:45 PM

Jasonjm has been conspicuously absent during this correction recovery.

Wonder if he'll ever buy back in...LOLZ...

_Crypto made easier than cash_

▄███▄              ▄███▄
███████            ███████
███████   ▄████▄   ███████
███████  ████████  ███████
▄██████████  ████████  ██████████▄
████████████  ████████  ████████████
▀██████████  ████████  ██████████▀
▀███▀   ████████   ▀███▀
████████
▀████▀
MenaPay.
ANN THREAD
__
GriTBitS

Activity: 448

“A decentralized registry for unique assets”

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 12:22:03 AM

I doubt it! People afraid of money stay broke!

▄▄█████████                                                                                   
 ██▀       ██                                                                                   
██         ██                                                                                   
██         ██                                                                                   
██         ██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   
██         ██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄
██         ██                                                                                ▀█▄
██         ██                                                                                 ██
██         ██                                                                                 ██
██         ██         ▄██████▄    ▄██████▄     ████████▄     █████████   ▀██▄  ▄██▀           ██
██         ██       ▄██▀    ▀▀   ▄██▀  ▀██▄    ██     ▀██▄   ██            ██████             ██
██         ██       ██▀          ██      ██    ██      ▀██   ██▄▄▄▄▄▄       ▀██▀              ██
██         ██       ███          ██▄    ▄██    ██      ▄██   ██            ▄████▄             ██
██         ██        ▀██▄▄▄▄██    ▀██▄▄██▀     ██▄▄▄▄▄██▀    ██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄    ██▀  ▀██            ██
██▄██████████          ▀▀▀▀▀▀      ▀▀▀▀▀▀      ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀      ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀           ██
███▀                                                                                          ██
██                                                                                            ██
▀█▄                                                                                           ██
 ▀██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██
   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀▀▀▀████
                                                                                    ██       ▀██
                                                                                    ██       ▄██
                                                                                    ██      ▄██
                                                                                    ███████▀▀   
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █
█ █

*   Collect with Trust   *
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
 █ █
 █ █

Mondy

Activity: 112

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 01:36:14 AM

You are missing the best part of bitcoin.

i agree, its fun to watch too!

Salivan

Activity: 195
Merit: 102

DiMS dev team

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 11:31:46 AM

+1
Talbot49

Activity: 101

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 04:48:56 PM

I have 100 coins left

I would wait 10 000$ though, you could still be a millionnaire  Wink
piramida
Legendary

Borsche

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 06:11:39 PM

basically jason wasted an opportunity for 300k+ dollars because he was scared of chinese, didn't understand this has nothing to do with china.

but I still believe he can understand and come back for the next rally; very rarely people understand what bitcoin truly is on the first sight, the idea is too grand so it needs time to settle in.

i am satoshi
TTBit
Legendary

Activity: 1136

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 06:52:40 PM

every trade makes someone happy

good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment
im3w1l

Activity: 280

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 08:03:57 PM

The exchange  Wink
fred1111

Activity: 160
Merit: 101

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 08:06:11 PM

Every trade makes two persons happy, at the time of the trade.
beetcoin

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 08:06:43 PM

or someone unhappy.. especially if you are the OP  Grin
fred1111

Activity: 160
Merit: 101

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 08:07:29 PM

Best quote for Bitcoin bears!
Crazy

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 08:08:42 PM

Everyone gloating in this thread is really disgusting. You're all so brilliant until you're not. Ever heard of treating people as you'd like to be treated?

Elon Krusky
beetcoin

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 08:54:21 PM

Everyone gloating in this thread is really disgusting. You're all so brilliant until you're not. Ever heard of treating people as you'd like to be treated?

i don't disagree. but i don't feel too bad about OP, he still has over $100k in bitcoins. hard to pity that.
freethink2013

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 09:28:43 PM

And do you like being called disgusting?
Spaceman_Spiff
Legendary

Activity: 1638

₪``Campaign Manager´´₪

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 09:30:34 PM

And do you like being called disgusting?
I think this falls under the category: " is the executioner a murderer ?"
favelle75

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 09:58:33 PM

Moral?  Don't make dumb predictions on a public forum and expect not to hear about it later.

I find the people here don't make you feel bad for LOSING money...but they will let you hear it for losing potential future earnings.  There IS a difference you know.

▄███▄              ▄███▄
▀███▀   ████████   ▀███▀
████████
▀████▀
MenaPay.
ANN THREAD
__
freethink2013

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 10:01:33 PM

I value honesty above niceness.  I hate the way modern society seems to prefer dishonest niceness.

*hugs*
favelle75

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 10:10:46 PM

I value honesty above niceness.  I hate the way modern society seems to prefer dishonest niceness.

*hugs*

LOL...hugs back, nervously.

▄███▄              ▄███▄
▀███▀   ████████   ▀███▀
████████
▀████▀
MenaPay.
ANN THREAD
__
600watt
Legendary

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 10:11:55 PM

man, i am thankful for this thread. whenever the sell-itching starts i read it out loud.
favelle75

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 10:14:53 PM

man, i am thankful for this thread. whenever the sell-itching starts i read it out loud.

Indeed.

▄███▄              ▄███▄
▀███▀   ████████   ▀███▀
████████
▀████▀
MenaPay.
ANN THREAD
__
beetcoin

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 10:20:23 PM

if i were OP i wouldn't really care that much.. 100 coins is plenty. he's made a lot of money and if it hits 10k, he'll have millions.
favelle75

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 10:32:47 PM

if i were OP i wouldn't really care that much.. 100 coins is plenty. he's made a lot of money and if it hits 10k, he'll have millions.

Correction.  A million.  Singular.

▄███▄              ▄███▄
▀███▀   ████████   ▀███▀
████████
▀████▀
MenaPay.
ANN THREAD
__
maz

Activity: 140

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 10:39:40 PM

To be fair, he never done anything bad. It's just that his timing was terrible.

Who would have thought we would have been at 1224 today when the price was at 300.
im3w1l

Activity: 280

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 10:52:06 PM

*hugs*

LOL...hugs back, nervously.

nice
Ardenyham
Legendary

Don't Hesitate to Tip me for My Helps and Guides.

View Profile
November 29, 2013, 12:13:38 AM

Seems nice plan, so now out of Bitcoins and waiting for the unevitable crash ?
beetcoin

View Profile
November 29, 2013, 05:03:20 AM

when you guys cash out, do you prepare yourselves to pay capital gains taxes or what? it seems like it would be a headache.. i've yet to do it.
piramida
Legendary

Borsche

View Profile
November 29, 2013, 06:40:15 AM

Gox $445 lol

I am now 90% out

check the chart now jason, now *thats* vertical.

i am satoshi
beetcoin

View Profile
November 29, 2013, 07:17:13 AM

well, he did say he'd sell at $1k if it gets there.. i wonder if he's changed his mind or if he's sticking to the plan? either way, you'll come out making some sweet cash, so no biggie.
windjc
Legendary

View Profile
November 29, 2013, 07:59:14 AM

well, he did say he'd sell at $1k if it gets there.. i wonder if he's changed his mind or if he's sticking to the plan? either way, you'll come out making some sweet cash, so no biggie.

He cashed out 100% way before $1000 - around $500 I think. He mentioned it in another thread.

He has been conspiciously absent here recently. Wink

But he's in this for the thrill - for the trading experience - he sees it only as a speculation, that's how his mind works. And that's fine. Most people won't understand the potential of bitcoin until that potential is realized. That is just the way of the world.

If Bitcoin flys up from here and then "crashes" or strongly "corrects" we will see Jason again.

Maybe.
Crazy

View Profile
November 29, 2013, 08:02:27 AM

Hey windjc, as a brilliant visionary I'd love to know more about you. What do you do for a living?

Elon Krusky
beetcoin

View Profile
November 29, 2013, 08:26:29 AM

He cashed out 100% way before $1000 - around $500 I think. He mentioned it in another thread.

But he's in this for the thrill - for the trading experience - he sees it only as a speculation, that's how his mind works. And that's fine. Most people won't understand the potential of bitcoin until that potential is realized. That is just the way of the world.

If Bitcoin flys up from here and then "crashes" or strongly "corrects" we will see Jason again.

Maybe.

he's still a winner no matter what.. maybe not as much as some others, but so what? he still came out ahead. i think the smart thing would have been to sell less off over time, but hey it's his life.
fleabag

Activity: 98

View Profile
December 01, 2013, 12:36:02 AM

Maybe.

he's still a winner no matter what.. maybe not as much as some others, but so what? he still came out ahead. i think the smart thing would have been to sell less off over time, but hey it's his life.
sounds like  you are talking at his eulogy LOL
beetcoin

View Profile
December 01, 2013, 02:55:04 AM

Maybe.

sounds like  you are talking at his eulogy LOL

i just feel a little bad for the guy, because i'd be pulling my hair out if it happened to me. he still made money either way, so the glass is equally full as it is empty.

then again, fuck that.. he's made a lot more money than me. no pity for you sir!
aminorex
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029

Sine secretum non libertas

View Profile
December 01, 2013, 03:39:24 AM

I pity the fool who sells his bitcoin

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.  Give a man a Poisson distribution and he eats at random times independent of one another, at a constant known rate.
BitChick
Legendary

Activity: 1148

View Profile
December 01, 2013, 06:04:23 AM

Just read this thread for the first time today.  I can see why OP thought it was a good time to sell.  I too thought at the time that it seemed like an unlikely rise.  Bitcoin had been pretty stagnant for a while.  

Thankfully hubby and I are long term holders.  Partially for tax reasons.  Partially because we don't have a large amount compared to many really.  We don't want to mess with claiming anything on them this year.  Next year should be fun.

But I really appreciate some of the posts on the forum about the best strategies for taking profits.  It seems that a tiered sell off is a great way to go.  I think the riskiest thing to do is to sell them all in one lump because we really do not know what is going to happen long term.

Granted, people have different goals and purposes for investing and most people that have sold have made impressive gains that have helped their lives significantly.  Who knows, we might be the crazy ones for holding without reaping any profits but it sure has been an exciting adventure.  Grin

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: