Bitcoin Forum
June 20, 2024, 07:57:57 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What altcoin should we be buying now for greatest ROI?  (Read 3961 times)
simplydt (OP)

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
November 12, 2013, 04:49:16 PM

Thoughts?
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
November 12, 2013, 04:51:22 PM

DeVCoin, maybe? It is so cheap right now that even a satoshi either way in price is nearly 5% ...

Yet in the past it has gone for 300 satoshis or more.

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
simplydt (OP)

View Profile WWW
November 12, 2013, 04:57:51 PM

DeVCoin, maybe? It is so cheap right now that even a satoshi either way in price is nearly 5% ...

Yet in the past it has gone for 300 satoshis or more.

-MarkM-

A $100 gamble seems reasonable, but would you not say, that now, it looks like it maybe simply dead?
markm
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 12, 2013, 05:01:27 PM
Last edit: November 12, 2013, 05:17:37 PM by markm

Don't be silly. It is a merged-mined coin, it has lots of supporters, including more and more authors who write for Devtome and get paid in DeVCoins, it has lots of bounty offered for upgrading of its code to incorporate all the fixes I0Coin has that all the merged mined coins are going to be needing, heck it even has a huge use in finance, so much so that the amount of secured loan that is denominated in DeVCoin is way the heck more DeVCoins than will even actually exist for years to come.

DeVCoin has hardly even started yet. It is no way about to die.

But, now might not be the best time to buy. Who knows, it might drop to one satoshi per coin if all the Devtome authors continue to throw away their DeVCoins ridiculously cheap. So watch them and see just how cheap the Devtome authors are willing to throw them away for!

On Vircurex I have offers at every possible price in satoshis both up and down from the actual margin gap where the trading happens, so I sell when people want to buy and buy when people want to sell. Slowly over time my total hoard of the combo of BiTCoins and DeVCoins there thus grows little by little. Being the patient one whose order sits waiting to be taken is the profitable way to go it seems, the people who want their order processed immediately pay for their impatience, in effect. And every satoshi of price is a big percentage!

I would suggest doing as I do: place orders at one satoshi, two satoshis, and so on all the way up to somewhere vaguely close to the current trading edge, when people sell to them, start putting sell orders at every satoshi starting somewhere up above the current trading point... It takes patience but moves of several satoshis each way do happen quite often.

It is really nice being able to sit at every possible price. Most, maybe all, other coins have way too many decimals not commonly used so would take thousands or millions of orders to do that whereas with DeVCoin you can cover all possible prices with just a few hundred orders or less. Others you end up in battles with bots arguing over prices because there is so much space typically available in the price granularity. With DeVCoins you can just blanket-fill all possible prices so you don't have to worry about all that finicky changing of prices fighting with the bots.

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
A L I E N
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 05:16:32 PM

Bitbar. There are only 7500 outstanding so you could get a large percentage cheap.  Expect to see it over .01 in the not too distant future which is almost 10x its current value.

Longer term values are Megacoin and Anoncoin due to their superior development work.
miffman
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1005

PGP ID: 78B7B84D

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 05:29:46 PM

Look into CGB  Smiley

█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
BitBlender 

█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
Hazard
Legendary

Activity: 980

View Profile WWW
November 12, 2013, 05:30:41 PM

Bitbar. There are only 7500 outstanding so you could get a large percentage cheap.  Expect to see it over .01 in the not too distant future which is almost 10x its current value.

Longer term values are Megacoin and Anoncoin due to their superior development work.
lol

bobbahope

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 05:41:22 PM

Namecoin, it's fix is going to be implemented within the next couple of weeks, and its old price fluctuated between 3x and 6x its current ones(priced in btc).

Ppcoin/Peercoin is the first POS coin, and has a very active developer. It's community has recently started to become much more active, hence the price rise from 40 to 65 cents ea. I expect it'll probably begin rivaling litecoin sometime in the next three months.

Mastercoin, Seems interesting- I bought a couple- it isn't really functional yet, but has a couple million dollars invested in development/bounties/etc... And is money supply is limited to 600,000 coins, one of which is currently around 0.1 btc ea.

Primecoin- less than the others, but its still pretty new, and at it's all time low in terms of btc, has pretty much remained constant in terms of usd.

vindimy

Activity: 239

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 05:42:07 PM

I don't know about you guys, but I personally like alt-coins that are a bit established. Those that have some history of active development and an active community behind it. At the moment that'd be Litecoin, Peercoin/Primecoin, and Namecoin. Everything else is too great of a risk to put any significant amount of $$ into (but good to throw your spare change at!).

simplydt (OP)

View Profile WWW
November 12, 2013, 06:16:14 PM

Namecoin, it's fix is going to be implemented within the next couple of weeks, and its old price fluctuated between 3x and 6x its current ones(priced in btc).

Ppcoin/Peercoin is the first POS coin, and has a very active developer. It's community has recently started to become much more active, hence the price rise from 40 to 65 cents ea. I expect it'll probably begin rivaling litecoin sometime in the next three months.

Mastercoin, Seems interesting- I bought a couple- it isn't really functional yet, but has a couple million dollars invested in development/bounties/etc... And is money supply is limited to 600,000 coins, one of which is currently around 0.1 btc ea.

Primecoin- less than the others, but its still pretty new, and at it's all time low in terms of btc, has pretty much remained constant in terms of usd.

Very interesting points, care to elaborate the namecoin fix? Any links you could share on that? Thank you!
markm
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 12, 2013, 06:26:20 PM

What namecoin fix? I didn't know it needed another fix already so soon after the fix they did a while ago - fixing the thing where anyone could hijack anyone's domains. Huh

Maybe the problem they fixed came to more people's attention than did their fix of it?

-MarkM-

simplydt (OP)

View Profile WWW
November 12, 2013, 06:27:15 PM

Don't be silly. It is a merged-mined coin, it has lots of supporters, including more and more authors who write for Devtome and get paid in DeVCoins, it has lots of bounty offered for upgrading of its code to incorporate all the fixes I0Coin has that all the merged mined coins are going to be needing, heck it even has a huge use in finance, so much so that the amount of secured loan that is denominated in DeVCoin is way the heck more DeVCoins than will even actually exist for years to come.

DeVCoin has hardly even started yet. It is no way about to die.

But, now might not be the best time to buy. Who knows, it might drop to one satoshi per coin if all the Devtome authors continue to throw away their DeVCoins ridiculously cheap. So watch them and see just how cheap the Devtome authors are willing to throw them away for!

On Vircurex I have offers at every possible price in satoshis both up and down from the actual margin gap where the trading happens, so I sell when people want to buy and buy when people want to sell. Slowly over time my total hoard of the combo of BiTCoins and DeVCoins there thus grows little by little. Being the patient one whose order sits waiting to be taken is the profitable way to go it seems, the people who want their order processed immediately pay for their impatience, in effect. And every satoshi of price is a big percentage!

I would suggest doing as I do: place orders at one satoshi, two satoshis, and so on all the way up to somewhere vaguely close to the current trading edge, when people sell to them, start putting sell orders at every satoshi starting somewhere up above the current trading point... It takes patience but moves of several satoshis each way do happen quite often.

It is really nice being able to sit at every possible price. Most, maybe all, other coins have way too many decimals not commonly used so would take thousands or millions of orders to do that whereas with DeVCoin you can cover all possible prices with just a few hundred orders or less. Others you end up in battles with bots arguing over prices because there is so much space typically available in the price granularity. With DeVCoins you can just blanket-fill all possible prices so you don't have to worry about all that finicky changing of prices fighting with the bots.

-MarkM-

Thanks for elaborating. I really like the concept as I do agree that people who contribute such valuable work to the open source community should somehow be compensated. If it catches on in the future it could really be worth something. My main concern is who decides where the 90% of generated coins ends up. I am a little bit unclear on that and will do some more research. I'm about to buy $50 of it though, you never know right? :-)
A L I E N
Legendary

Activity: 1358

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 06:27:58 PM

I don't know about you guys, but I personally like alt-coins that are a bit established. Those that have some history of active development and an active community behind it. At the moment that'd be Litecoin, Peercoin/Primecoin, and Namecoin. Everything else is too great of a risk to put any significant amount of $$ into (but good to throw your spare change at!).

OP was asking about greatest ROI.  The greatest gains have already occurred in established alts. compared to the possibility of lower market cap alts.  As with any form of investment, if you want a higher return you have to take on greater risk.  If it was an obvious investment, everyone jumps on the train and returns reduce rapidly..
gross

Activity: 236

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 06:29:28 PM

Tagcoin  Smiley
markm
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 12, 2013, 06:29:50 PM

I'm about to buy $50 of it though, you never know right? :-)

Well just place an offer, as lately people sell more often than people buy. So don't bother accepting a seller's offer, place your buy offer and wait for them to come to you. Every satoshi difference in the price is a large percentage remember!

-MarkM-

markm
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 12, 2013, 06:35:14 PM

OP was asking about greatest ROI.  The greatest gains have already occurred in established alts. compared to the possibility of lower market cap alts.  As with any form of investment, if you want a higher return you have to take on greater risk.  If it was an obvious investment, everyone jumps on the train and returns reduce rapidly..

On that note, lets bring back up the supposedly "dead" coins. People thought BBQcoin was dead for a year, allowing people to rack up huge hoards of it using only CPUs.

That was the best ROI by far.

Look at things like Fairbrix, Tenebrix, Coiledcoin, and Geistgeld, especially those last two as they are merged mined. Fairbrix and Tenebrix might well suffer whatever fate awaits all this year's scrypt coins, but Coiledcoin and Geistgeld might easily be "sleepers"... As soon as they get picked up by a meged mining pool boom they will catapult in difficulty like I0Coin did on its comeback and like Groupcoin did when it was picked up almost incidentally alogn with I0Coin.

Which come to think of it, hey, is Groupcoin on an exchange yet? It might be a good candidate because it is on the merged mining pool same as I0Coin but maybe unlike I0Coin it might not be on an exchange yet so you might be able to pick some up cheap over the counter before it gets on any exchanges...

Coiledcoin and Geistgeld though you don't even have to buy, just add them to your merge so they are basically damn near free right now until some major merged mining pool picks them up!

-MarkM-

cshelswell

Activity: 615
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
November 12, 2013, 06:35:59 PM

I would have thought Peercoin would be a good one. It's been around for a good while now, has a big following and a mostly stable exchange at the moment. Plus doesn't seem to suffer from the same ASIC on / ASIC off difficulty fluctuations of other coins

markm
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 12, 2013, 06:37:35 PM

I would have thought Peercoin would be a good one. It's been around for a good while now, has a big following and a mostly stable exchange at the moment. Plus doesn't seem to suffer from the same ASIC on / ASIC off difficulty fluctuations of other coins

Yeah but anything that is already worth that much has less room to multiply in value before hitting some value people will perceive as high and develop resistance at.

Things currently going for less than a penny are probably best, or if you must maybe consider something that is already up at a dime or so...

Most things worth a buck aren't likely to jump to $100 very fast, at least probably less fast than something going for a penny might jump to a buck. Huh

-MarkM-

bobbahope

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 06:44:36 PM

@MarkM,

I though that the domain fix was happening at block 150,000 with the hard fork- its what I was talking about. I might be mistaken.

Aside from that, I just checked Mastercoin prices, apparently it's gone up 100 percent from 0.1 to 0.2 btc in the seven days since I bought it.

cshelswell

Activity: 615
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
November 12, 2013, 06:47:26 PM

Yeah but anything that is already worth that much has less room to multiply in value before hitting some value people will perceive as high and develop resistance at.

Things currently going for less than a penny are probably best, or if you must maybe consider something that is already up at a dime or so...

Most things worth a buck aren't likely to jump to $100 very fast, at least probably less fast than something going for a penny might jump to a buck. Huh

-MarkM-

Yep good point. Guess it's not the best one to make a quick buck on Smiley

I'm hoping Zetacoin might jump up at some point. Someone was kind enough to sell me 250,000 for something like 0.03 BTC - It seems to be pretty stuck in the low end now though. Should have sold when it was at 0.000004 for that brief time.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: