Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 06:32:21 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How to know when to BUY?  (Read 1995 times)
tesla80 (OP)

Activity: 448
Merit: 89

Full Stack Engineer

View Profile
April 17, 2018, 10:00:56 AM

Hello,

Can somebody explain how to decide buying an altcoin?

Let me write what I know;
  • Check the coinmarketcap.com and choose ones with high volume
  • Check the projects
  • Check the chart, if it is pumped, don't buy, wait
  • Check the chart, if it is dumping, wait low volatility

Please correct and/or add other ideas to help noob traders like me Smiley

I will try to give merits to good posts as much as I can.

Thanks.

Cyber Security, Mobile Security, Web/Desktop/Embedded Programming, Electronics, M2M, IoT

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Jake2134

Activity: 91
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 17, 2018, 10:30:54 AM

I think it's very hard to actually do that but of course there's ways to actually get one but not super accurate  but it's worth the risk but of course you can both loose or gain.
metenjean

Activity: 854
Merit: 140

View Profile
April 17, 2018, 11:07:33 AM
Merited by tesla80 (1)

I think the best reasons to buy an altcoins is mainly to consider their project whitepaper and dev team because there are lots of altcoin with similar project and shady developer. However there are also many project that doesn't seems to help making human life easier and mainly focusing in maintaining their price after ICOs and after entering the market.

High volume doesn't mean that coins will last long or the project will continue in the long term, if you're a short term trader then this might help you however if you're a long term investor then this doesn't make sense at all since coinmarketcap volume only shows the last 24H.

You should know that a rise happened when the price is pumped, if you're waiting then you should underline how long you will wait until you want to buy. Is it after the correction? Is it when the price created a new high? Most people tend to buy when the uptrend already over and considered a new dowtrend as a corrections. Its better to follow the whales then to swim against it.

You can't predict a pump and dump just by looking the chart, a dump in lower 5M timeframe doesn't even mean a thing when you consider 1D volume, each chart has their own volume and volatiliy. You should consider what kind of investor you want to become, is it a trader with lower timeframe (5M,15M,1H) for trade or an investor with higher timeframe(4H,1D,1W). For the record, if all you do is waiting when the price is pumped and dumped, then its better to wait in the sideline and not try to invest at all because there is no perfect time to do an investment unless you already created a plan to overcome the lack of information.
boyshx

Activity: 574
Merit: 251

View Profile
April 17, 2018, 11:13:41 AM

Hello,

• Check the projects

Thanks.

The major point that you still left out is what do we know about the project for which the altcoin was made. I mean does that project is making any good progress or is there any recent good/bad news about it. If yes/no depending upon the answer you can choose not to invest or invest heavily as the result would depend on that considering its future.

Rest of the points that you have mentioned are correct one and there doesnt need any additional facts to be considered before you can buy any coin.
Arwinkim

Activity: 266
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
April 17, 2018, 11:14:02 AM

Hello,

• Check the projects

Thanks.

If you want to check it using chart, technically you need to mastering trendline drawing. If price hits the line, that could be a signal to buy or sell. But note that, it is not always valid signal so we should use other supporting tools like indicators and news.
Awesomus Maximus

Activity: 392
Merit: 66

View Profile
April 17, 2018, 11:27:30 AM
Last edit: April 17, 2018, 12:04:45 PM by Awesomus Maximus

You should learn how analyse the trendline, and identify 2 basic things:

• support levels
  • resistance levels

This is not an easy skill, but just these two things alone can help you figure out when to buy and when to sell.

As a general rule, you sell when you've hit a resistance line and buy when you've hit a support line. (the problem is you have to identify them and you can easily mix them up in real situations, especially because, for example, a resistance line can be breached from time to time)

As an example of this, check this image:

https://www.investtech.com/images/help/indicator/supResBuySell.000.png
prashanta
Copper Member

Activity: 728
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 17, 2018, 11:35:44 AM

Hello,

• Check the projects

Thanks.
To look at whilst to invest. There are hundreds of altcoins. There’s no manner they’ve all been going up constantly for 30 days. What occurs is that they pass up for a while then drop back a piece then move up again then drop lower back once more and so forth. the general trend is probably up however there’s peaks and troughs on the way. research the cash to look if it’s some thing you’re satisfied to invest in then buy in whilst the price is on a downturn, preferably simply before it starts offevolved to rise again despite the fact that obviously this isn’t always clean to predict. There are books on chart patterns which could assist to perceive tendencies.
supermine

Activity: 826
Merit: 518

View Profile
April 17, 2018, 11:56:32 AM

Hello,

• Check the projects

Thanks.
There is no exact answer for this question but the common rule is buy low and sell high so you have to buy when the prices are low.And as you said don't buy when the price chart is in rapid increase because the chance for price falling after the rapid increase is more.But no one can say when to buy only you need to understand from that your experience if you are a noob in trading start with low capital and then once you got familiar with the trading increase your capital amount.
duc4487

Activity: 131

View Profile
April 17, 2018, 01:38:27 PM

it is very hard to know then we buy,it need exp,with me I will set price for coin I want to buy,i and buy a little and a little,i don't buy one time,nobody can buy at bottom and sell at top
haroldtee

Activity: 644
Merit: 299

View Profile
April 17, 2018, 01:54:09 PM
Last edit: April 17, 2018, 02:05:21 PM by haroldtee
Merited by tesla80 (2)

Well, this should help noobs who may want to trade long term and for any one who may want to use this, please try to learn how to use MACD and RSI for divergence, oversold and overbought market.

With that being said, here is how I go about long term trading with the altcoin market. (This should be for those who want to take advantage of the bottom and peaks, not the HODLers).

1. Since it is a large space, you can make use of this site to look for oversold markets (https://rsihunter.com), but please be careful the coins or tokens you choose as not all coins should be traded (that is my own opinion) and in that case you may want to be sure of the coin by trying to check the team, project and idea, before going ahead, except it is a coin or token you are already familiar with. You can search the particular coin market on coinmarketcap.com to get some information such as website, history and stuff.

2. Also, you should consider time frame that suits you best, but for long term and this pattern, 4hr and daily time frame is perfect. You can make that decision after trying both time frames on your first few trades.

3. Do not rush to buy even after a market is oversold. Forget about the short and quick pull backs which is why for a beginner, I would actually advise you get use to the daily charts before even going lower. Monitor the market, turn on your RSI and MACD indicators (in this case I want to believe you have learned how to use them - there is a lot of resources online to make use of, just search for how to detect divergence on MACD most especially). RSI can also be used for some sort of divergence, but to know if a market is overbought is when the line is above 80, oversold is when it is below 20, depending on your settings. I love using RSI length 8 for some reasons, but the default is 14 and that should be good enough.

4. Now, this is the tricky part but not that hard. When the candles keep going down and the MACD are moving up, that is a divergence and some accumulations already going on. To be in a good position, you may also want to learn price action with the candles, and in this case watch out for those bullish candles. In some cases, you can actually see the market going sideways, that can make it easy, but watch out, just in case you see some break down below historical supports (I forgot, you should learn support and resistance as well).

5. Now, assuming all things have worked pretty fine, as mentioned above, just have patience and wait for it. Now, buying is easy, but selling is another hard part. Firstly, never get greedy, as you can just stick to a certain percentage and if you are lucky to have that, then fine. However, the same way you watched out for the bullish divergence to buy in, you can also watchout for bearish divergence or once you see FOMO and an overbought market on the RSI, sell and be happy with the profit you have made. Sometimes, the market may move up the more, but remember, greed is what has led most traders into losing what they have gained. So, look for other potential markets or wait for another dip.

6. To add to number 5, you can also use price action on the candles to know when a price is being rejected. However, I would advise you to always sell bit by bit as long as the value is becoming too good to be true. At least, get out your initial investment, when you have reached a stage, and then play with the rest.

I really tried as much as possible summarizing this but not easy. I have given enough clue, so do not rush, learn how to use some of those indicators, be sure you know what you are doing, and this should be a safe way for anyone who wants to trade. I hope I did not end up confusing anyone the more.

Cheers on your journey as a trader.
Hasan_MSH

Activity: 163
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 17, 2018, 01:56:12 PM

I think the best reasons to buy an altcoins is mainly to consider their project whitepaper and dev team because there are lots of altcoin with similar project and shady developer. However there are also many project that doesn't seems to help making human life easier and mainly focusing in maintaining their price after ICOs and after entering the market.

High volume doesn't mean that coins will last long or the project will continue in the long term, if you're a short term trader then this might help you however if you're a long term investor then this doesn't make sense at all since coinmarketcap volume only shows the last 24H.

You should know that a rise happened when the price is pumped, if you're waiting then you should underline how long you will wait until you want to buy. Is it after the correction? Is it when the price created a new high? Most people tend to buy when the uptrend already over and considered a new dowtrend as a corrections. Its better to follow the whales then to swim against it.

You can't predict a pump and dump just by looking the chart, a dump in lower 5M timeframe doesn't even mean a thing when you consider 1D volume, each chart has their own volume and volatiliy. You should consider what kind of investor you want to become, is it a trader with lower timeframe (5M,15M,1H) for trade or an investor with higher timeframe(4H,1D,1W). For the record, if all you do is waiting when the price is pumped and dumped, then its better to wait in the sideline and not try to invest at all because there is no perfect time to do an investment unless you already created a plan to overcome the lack of information.

I would like to say, it's a smart thinking all about. What do you want to know. It might be helpful to you and others. Moreover you should to practice to do know well.[/list][/list]
James andrew

Activity: 224

View Profile
April 17, 2018, 01:59:21 PM

Its very difficult to tell but you should analysis it when coin price is up and down then you buy some coin
carlisle1

Activity: 2744
Merit: 541

Campaign Management?"Hhampuz" is the Man

View Profile
April 17, 2018, 02:11:37 PM

Hello,

• Check the projects

Thanks.
seems like youre bright enough to ask some question like this because we can see that you know every fundamentals of buying good coins..i guess i dont have something to add,but to tell you that just follow your instincts because you already have the skills.
yanto@1977

Activity: 686
Merit: 100

★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!

View Profile
April 17, 2018, 02:18:40 PM

Hello,

• Check the projects

Thanks.

I think your list is enough and very valuable for newbie like me and I can say you're technical trader. There's also method to decide when to buy and we call it fundamental, meaning depend news ( rumors ). For this one, you should search many news about altcoin and create calculation if the news comes up what will happen into crypto market. This is good method for opportunist trader create income, do that and good luck to you.

tesla80 (OP)

Activity: 448
Merit: 89

Full Stack Engineer

View Profile
April 17, 2018, 02:26:52 PM

Guys, thank you for your complements but I'm not a trader at all. It dumps when I buy, it goes to moon after I sell Smiley Still it is true for me.
So I'm a clear noob.

I know there are many people around like me, so I decided to help them and myself collecting good signs of buying in a single topic.
I hope we can create a nice list for that.

Of course nobody can predict 100%, but traders are people too and they have some accurate predictions as well, so what they do?

It cannot be that easy to explain in 4 steps.

Cyber Security, Mobile Security, Web/Desktop/Embedded Programming, Electronics, M2M, IoT
St4yInTh3D4rk

Activity: 686
Merit: 264

"STAY IN THE DARK"

View Profile
April 17, 2018, 02:42:42 PM

We need to buy when the price is low but it is hard to find the bottom line of the price level that is why people are saying do your own research.For me I will start buying bitcoin when there is a positive news about bitcoin and sell when there is a negative news about bitcoin because normally the price will dump and bump according to the news about bitcoin.

bustadice         ▄▄████████████▄▄
     ▄▄████████▀▀▀▀████████▄▄
   ▄███████████    ███████████▄
  █████    ████▄▄▄▄████    █████
 ██████    ████████▀▀██    ██████
██████████████████   █████████████
█████████████████▌  ▐█████████████
███    ██████████   ███████    ███
███    ████████▀   ▐███████    ███
██████████████      ██████████████
 ██████████████▄▄▄▄██████████████
  ▀████████████████████████████▀
                     ▄▄███████▄▄
                  ▄███████████████▄
   ███████████  ▄████▀▀       ▀▀████▄
               ████▀      ██     ▀████
 ███████████  ████        ██       ████
             ████         ██        ████
███████████  ████     ▄▄▄▄██        ████
             ████     ▀▀▀▀▀▀        ████
 ███████████  ████                 ████
               ████▄             ▄████
   ███████████  ▀████▄▄       ▄▄████▀
                  ▀███████████████▀
                     ▀▀███████▀▀
           ▄██▄
           ████
            ██
            ▀▀
 ▄██████████████████████▄
██████▀▀██████████▀▀██████
█████    ████████    █████
█████▄  ▄████████▄  ▄█████
██████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
    ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
       ████████████
[bustadice.
Play
bustadice]

Hero/Legendary
..bustadice..              ▄▄████████████▄▄
     ▄▄████████▀▀▀▀████████▄▄
   ▄███████████    ███████████▄
  █████    ████▄▄▄▄████    █████
 ██████    ████████▀▀██    ██████
██████████████████   █████████████
█████████████████▌  ▐█████████████
███    ██████████   ███████    ███
███    ████████▀   ▐███████    ███
 ██████████████▄▄▄▄██████████████
  ▀████████████████████████████▀
kaya11

Activity: 1302
Merit: 110

View Profile
April 17, 2018, 02:50:04 PM
Merited by tesla80 (1)

Hello,

• Check the projects

Thanks.

There are ways how to buy alts, depends on certain events of the the alt itself and the market status. The total market volume and most probably the price of Bitcoin. Here are some tips that I got from the beginning when I was just practicing. Pay attention to Bitcoin, most alts are pegged or correlated to altcoins, most of them drops when BTC price drops. Never put your money in one alts only, diversify it to the most alts that suits your taste and you believed in. Losing is an option, don't drag yourself with it and accept it. Set a stop loss, that way you can start again with less damage and try to learn from you mistakes. These are some tips that are useful for me, hope it might help you too.
yvesp110

Activity: 1092
Merit: 501

View Profile
April 17, 2018, 08:21:55 PM

We need to buy when the price is low but it is hard to find the bottom line of the price level that is why people are saying do your own research.For me I will start buying bitcoin when there is a positive news about bitcoin and sell when there is a negative news about bitcoin because normally the price will dump and bump according to the news about bitcoin.
We either buy when the market is down or we buy in bulk. The reason is that when the market is red, the purchasing power of the money we have is more and we can buy more goods and servises that we could before. Secondly, even if the market is not down, if you purchase in bulk, your average cost is redused as a result of which you spend less than you would have spent if the amount of the goods bought were not huge.
EthanB

Activity: 462
Merit: 336

View Profile
April 17, 2018, 08:35:28 PM

Since you are asking specifically about altcoins I would suggest that this would more properly belong in an altcoin board. Might I suggest altcoin (speculation)? Found here : https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=224.0 , or even just Simple Altcoin Discussion , Found Here : https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=67.0 . Trading discussion isn't the worst board for this conversation, but I just feel there are people with better expertise on the subject of Altcoins.

That being said, I rarely find myself purchasing an altcoin, because they are rarely a good investment from what I've gathered. Altcoins, I have found are rarely a good long-term investment when compared to bitcoin and seem to be more of a short-term opportunity.

Your criteria are a bit off I believe, because high-volume does not always mean good things and can very often mean that you have missed the bus. I would argue that it is very difficult to find a coin with High-volume that is not currently pumping(rising) or dumping(falling). The only criteria that I can seemingly get behind is to check out the projects, because that will normally tell you the longevity and success of a project, all things being equal. You have to verify that the project is offering a creative solution, if it is not then it will gain no traction.
richardsNY
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1091

View Profile
April 17, 2018, 08:39:55 PM

We either buy when the market is down or we buy in bulk. The reason is that when the market is red, the purchasing power of the money we have is more and we can buy more goods and servises that we could before. Secondly, even if the market is not down, if you purchase in bulk, your average cost is redused as a result of which you spend less than you would have spent if the amount of the goods bought were not huge.

Large purchases are never a good idea, regardless of the market we're in, and especially not if the market hasn't been tanked to the bottom. You are either a bit confused with how you want to explain yourself, or just completely miss the target. Either way, buying and selling should always be done in smaller fractions -- bulk purchases, as you like to call them, make you too dependent on one particular outcome, which is never a good thing in this market. I like to work with 5-10% buy or sale fractions per time, which gives me enough freedom to catch up on a decline, or unload more coins in case the market keeps going up, all to maximize my profits. In this case it's largely a matter of logical thinking....
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: