Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 07:32:38 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: To those with multi-5970 setups: which mobo are you using?  (Read 8288 times)
dingus (OP)

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 11, 2011, 05:16:44 AM

I am not sure whether to post this in the mining forum or this..I figured the technical support one would fit more. Anyway...so I find out today that my motherboard, Asus M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, does not work with 2x 5970s. I have tried everything to get them to work; from clearing the cmos, switching the psu cables, switching the gpus between slots, using the most recent mobo bios update..and an older version, multi-gpu link cable and no link cable. I have tried everything.

I have a 1000 watt raidmax psu so I am fairly confident it is not the source of the problem. I believe the bios just doesn't support dual 5970s for some reason, although this mobo worked fine with a single 5970 and a 5770.

Any suggestions?

ding·us/ˈdiNGgəs/
Noun: Used to refer to something whose name the speaker cannot remember, is unsure of, or is humorously or euphemistically omitting

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
gusti
Legendary

Activity: 1099
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 11, 2011, 10:04:04 AM

I am not sure whether to post this in the mining forum or this..I figured the technical support one would fit more. Anyway...so I find out today that my motherboard, Asus M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, does not work with 2x 5970s. I have tried everything to get them to work; from clearing the cmos, switching the psu cables, switching the gpus between slots, using the most recent mobo bios update..and an older version, multi-gpu link cable and no link cable. I have tried everything.

I have a 1000 watt raidmax psu so I am fairly confident it is not the source of the problem. I believe the bios just doesn't support dual 5970s for some reason, although this mobo worked fine with a single 5970 and a 5770.

Any suggestions?

I'm not using more than 1 card per machine, but can you tell more ?
OS ?  Are they recognized on the device level ?

If you don't own the private keys, you don't own the coins.
sc8nt4u

Activity: 286
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 11, 2011, 10:54:54 AM

What happens when you have 2 in the system? Does your system see both cards or does it not boot?

I'm running 2x5970 on a Asus P6T SE with a XION 1250w PSU.
dingus (OP)

View Profile
February 11, 2011, 11:24:58 AM
Last edit: February 11, 2011, 11:40:51 AM by dingus

It boots up I suppose. This is with 2x 5970s. Fans start up, I can tell the hard drive is working, everything seems normal except the "no video signal" from all 4 DVI ports.

Apparently I do not have a powerful enough PSU. I am pretty sure I need a 1200 watt instead of 1000 one. I'll update this thread when I get the chance to try a 1200 watt.

ding·us/ˈdiNGgəs/
Noun: Used to refer to something whose name the speaker cannot remember, is unsure of, or is humorously or euphemistically omitting
Raulo

Activity: 238

View Profile
February 11, 2011, 12:04:42 PM

It boots up I suppose. This is with 2x 5970s. Fans start up, I can tell the hard drive is working, everything seems normal except the "no video signal" from all 4 DVI ports.

Does each work separately in each PCIe slots?

Apparently I do not have a powerful enough PSU. I am pretty sure I need a 1200 watt instead of 1000 one. I'll update this thread when I get the chance to try a 1200 watt.

If it's not a crappy defective PSU, it should be more than enough. I run two 5970s on 850W PSU and there is still some headroom (the system draws 660W from the outlet which is less than 600W on the DC).

1HAoJag4C3XtAmQJAhE9FTAAJWFcrvpdLM
fabianhjr

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

Do The Evolution

View Profile
February 11, 2011, 12:16:55 PM

The expensive way get one of those Quad-SLI/CrossFire Certified Mobos, an 11 backslots(rare) case and liquid cooling.

The economic way: http://blog.zorinaq.com/

dingus (OP)

View Profile
February 11, 2011, 03:23:05 PM
Last edit: February 11, 2011, 03:35:00 PM by dingus

Does each work separately in each PCIe slots?

If it's not a crappy defective PSU, it should be more than enough. I run two 5970s on 850W PSU and there is still some headroom (the system draws 660W from the outlet which is less than 600W on the DC).

It is an 80 gold certified PSU. I am not sure what you mean if they work separately in each slots. I have tried one card at a time in each slot, to determine if I have a faulty card, but they both work that way; just not together, link cable or not. I am thinking it is a mobo bios issue.

edit: Alright. Take a look at this "certified crossfire PSU" which is 1000 watt. http://support.amd.com/us/certified/power-supplies/Pages/details.aspx?item=44

It can support 2 5970s.

Now look at this PSU: http://support.amd.com/us/certified/power-supplies/Pages/details.aspx?item=108

Only one supported.

So, I am confused because my PSU is not even on this list http://support.amd.com/us/certified/power-supplies/Pages/listing.aspx

ding·us/ˈdiNGgəs/
Raulo

Activity: 238

View Profile
February 11, 2011, 04:47:57 PM

Now look at this PSU: http://support.amd.com/us/certified/power-supplies/Pages/details.aspx?item=108
Only one supported.
So, I am confused because my PSU is not even on this list http://support.amd.com/us/certified/power-supplies/Pages/listing.aspx

I have a Corsair 850W and it works fine with two 5970s so 1000W should work, too. If each card works alone, it might be a BIOS issue.

1HAoJag4C3XtAmQJAhE9FTAAJWFcrvpdLM
dingus (OP)

View Profile
February 11, 2011, 04:59:50 PM

Only one supported.

I have a Corsair 850W and it works fine with two 5970s so 1000W should work, too. If each card works alone, it might be a BIOS issue.

Could it be that I am trying to pull too much power from this single wall socket? I have my 2 monitors, my audio equipment, and my rig on a powerstrip plugged into one socket.

ding·us/ˈdiNGgəs/
dingus (OP)

View Profile
February 11, 2011, 08:54:08 PM

Only one supported.

Could it be that I am trying to pull too much power from this single wall socket? I have my 2 monitors, my audio equipment, and my rig on a powerstrip plugged into one socket.

Nope, it isn't that.

I have given up. I bought a 1200 watt PSU and a MSI 890FXA-GD70 motherboard. I'll update the thread if it works.

ding·us/ˈdiNGgəs/
Cryptoman

Activity: 726
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 12, 2011, 04:20:30 AM

Did you try plugging into the onboard DVI connector? 

"A small body of determined spirits fired by an unquenchable faith in their mission can alter the course of history." --Gandhi
dingus (OP)

View Profile
February 12, 2011, 04:28:54 AM

No, but I don't think that would help. When my mobo posts, it makes a beep noise. If I put in both 5970s, there is no beep or video signal. So, I assume, that for some reason the two 5970s are causing some kind of crash to happen within the bios, or I just do not have a supported PSU.

ding·us/ˈdiNGgəs/
ShadowOfHarbringer
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1005

Bringing Legendary Har® to you since 1952

View Profile
February 12, 2011, 11:52:02 AM

No, but I don't think that would help. When my mobo posts, it makes a beep noise. If I put in both 5970s, there is no beep or video signal. So, I assume, that for some reason the two 5970s are causing some kind of crash to happen within the bios, or I just do not have a supported PSU.

It is quite common that some motherboards are buggy and don't support certain PCI / PCIE setups.

For example, my motherboard does not support my soundcard, when it is inserted in the first PCI slot.

From what you have said I am 95% certain, that the mobo is at fault.

dingus (OP)

View Profile
February 12, 2011, 04:40:49 PM

It is quite common that some motherboards are buggy and don't support certain PCI / PCIE setups.

For example, my motherboard does not support my soundcard, when it is inserted in the first PCI slot.

From what you have said I am 95% certain, that the mobo is at fault.
The new motherboard I ordered came in today (used by http://blog.zorinaq.com/ so I know it can work) along with my 1200 watt crossfire certified psu which can supposedly support 2 5970s according to this: http://support.amd.com/us/certified/power-supplies/Pages/details.aspx?item=519

ding·us/ˈdiNGgəs/
Cryptoman

Activity: 726
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 12, 2011, 04:53:08 PM

Are you going to try the old mobo with the new PSU?  I'm curious to find out what the problem actually was.

"A small body of determined spirits fired by an unquenchable faith in their mission can alter the course of history." --Gandhi
dingus (OP)

View Profile
February 12, 2011, 04:54:47 PM

Are you going to try the old mobo with the new PSU?  I'm curious to find out what the problem actually was.

Yes, I will try that out. The computer's going under the knife now, I'll let you know how it goes.

ding·us/ˈdiNGgəs/
ShadowOfHarbringer
Legendary

View Profile
February 12, 2011, 05:45:11 PM

I guess that if Bitcoin becomes more popular, then AMD GPU selling will skyrocket.

dingus (OP)

View Profile
February 12, 2011, 06:47:31 PM

I guess that if Bitcoin becomes more popular, then AMD GPU selling will skyrocket.

So, I tried the new PSU on the old mobo, same thing happens as before...no video signal. Tried the new mobo with new PSU and I now have 3x 5970s running, but poclbm is only seeing one card, I think. I reinstalled the video card drivers and now am reinstalling Steam SDK 2.3.

CCC says every card except the one is disabled.

ding·us/ˈdiNGgəs/
ShadowOfHarbringer
Legendary

View Profile
February 12, 2011, 07:02:28 PM

So, I tried the new PSU on the old mobo, same thing happens as before...no video signal. Tried the new mobo with new PSU and I now have 3x 5970s running, but poclbm is only seeing one card, I think. I reinstalled the video card drivers and now am reinstalling Steam SDK 2.3.

Definately a weird shit. Probably one of the weirdest i have seen yet.

dingus (OP)

View Profile
February 12, 2011, 07:10:45 PM

Definately a weird shit. Probably one of the weirdest i have seen yet.

Yeah, its probably some weird bug in their bios which will most likely be fixed in a couple months now that I've started a thread on their forums about it and what not.

ding·us/ˈdiNGgəs/
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: