Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 07:15:52 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: To those with multi-5970 setups: which mobo are you using?  (Read 8290 times)
Cryptoman

Activity: 726
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 12, 2011, 07:17:34 PM

I presume you are running Linux based on your avatar.  Did you set the DISPLAY=:0 environment variable?

"A small body of determined spirits fired by an unquenchable faith in their mission can alter the course of history." --Gandhi

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
dingus (OP)

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 12, 2011, 07:21:50 PM

I presume you are running Linux based on your avatar.  Did you set the DISPLAY=:0 environment variable?
You presume incorrectly Smiley Win 7 64bit until I take the time to decrypt this 1.5TB drive, which is 36-48 hours or something crazy. Then I shall dual-boot or get rid of Win 7 completely.

edit: Just checked the most recent drivers: they are 11-1 while I still have the 10-12 preview drivers. Going to try them out.

ding·us/ˈdiNGgəs/
Noun: Used to refer to something whose name the speaker cannot remember, is unsure of, or is humorously or euphemistically omitting
dingus (OP)

View Profile
February 12, 2011, 08:11:57 PM

Ok so I am assuming since this PSU is "certified" for only 2 5970s, that is why having 3 wouldn't work. I took one out and the 2 show up in poclbm now. Smiley

ding·us/ˈdiNGgəs/
Noun: Used to refer to something whose name the speaker cannot remember, is unsure of, or is humorously or euphemistically omitting
ShadowOfHarbringer
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1005

Bringing Legendary Har® to you since 1952

View Profile
February 12, 2011, 09:51:10 PM

Ok so I am assuming since this PSU is "certified" for only 2 5970s, that is why having 3 wouldn't work. I took one out and the 2 show up in poclbm now. Smiley

Perhaps you should try powering one machine using 2 PSUs.
However you need to connect the "ground" wire from each of the PSUs together first, as otherwise it won't work.

There are easy schematics on the web about how to do that.

EDIT:
Oh, it seems there is even some vid on youtube explaining how to do that...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BviJjNYsIag

dingus (OP)

View Profile
February 12, 2011, 09:56:41 PM

Perhaps you should try powering one machine using 2 PSUs.
However you need to connect the "ground" wire from each of the PSUs together first, as otherwise it won't work.

There are easy schematics on the web about how to do that.

EDIT:
Oh, it seems there is even some vid on youtube explaining how to do that...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BviJjNYsIag
Yes, I have thought of that before. Going from this blog post: http://blog.zorinaq.com/?e=42

You can either do all of that fun stuff, or just buy one of these:

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/5637/cpa-167/Lian_Li_Dual_Power_Supply_Adapter_Cable.html

for $14 USD

I will take a look at what you are talking about though. It can't be too difficult.

ding·us/ˈdiNGgəs/
ronaldmaustin

Activity: 143

View Profile
February 13, 2011, 11:51:51 AM

I had something similar with an older ASUS A8N32-SLI where it would not recognize 2 5970's.  Then I realized that CCC was only showing one enabled that I had plugged the monitor into.  Thus, I would plug the monitor into one 5970 and start the program for device=0 and device=1 and that 5970 would work.  Then I'd unplug the monitor from the first 5970 and plug it into the second one and which point I'd rerun the program for device=0 and device=1 again.  That's the only way I could get it working in four DOS windows on Win7 x64.  My newer MSI Big Bang mobo runs all four in SLI mode with the SLI cable connected on Win7 x64.

You may try plugging your 3rd card in, get the first two working then plug the monitor into the third (check in CCC to see if it went active) then try running the program on the third board.  Could work.
ronaldmaustin

View Profile
February 13, 2011, 11:58:43 AM

And just FYI for people coming to this thread, bear in mind that PSU rating vary wildly.  Certain 1000Watt PSUs will NOT power 2 5970's, while other 750's certainly will.  I have personal recent experience with this.  If you want the short advice, read whether the PSU is peak rated or constant rated and even then it's a crap shoot.  Better yet, just stick with Corsair.  WalMart has a 1000 Watt Corsair for $219.82 delivered to your local WalMart.  http://www.walmart.com/ip/Corsair-HX-Series-80-Plus-1000-Watt-Certified-Power-Supply-CMPSU-1000HX/12457257  Can't beat it on price or performance for this particular task.
dingus (OP)

View Profile
February 13, 2011, 11:33:08 PM

I had something similar with an older ASUS A8N32-SLI where it would not recognize 2 5970's.  Then I realized that CCC was only showing one enabled that I had plugged the monitor into.  Thus, I would plug the monitor into one 5970 and start the program for device=0 and device=1 and that 5970 would work.  Then I'd unplug the monitor from the first 5970 and plug it into the second one and which point I'd rerun the program for device=0 and device=1 again.  That's the only way I could get it working in four DOS windows on Win7 x64.  My newer MSI Big Bang mobo runs all four in SLI mode with the SLI cable connected on Win7 x64.

You may try plugging your 3rd card in, get the first two working then plug the monitor into the third (check in CCC to see if it went active) then try running the program on the third board.  Could work.
Yeah, I figured something like this would work, as it did when I had just one 5970 and a 5770 together. But, I tried it out to no avail. With 4 5970s, which PSU are you using? I assume the 1200 corsair I have only supports 2 because not only does it say on that ATI website I previously posted that it only supports 2, but I have tried using it with 4 and 3 5970s and it didn't work.

ding·us/ˈdiNGgəs/
ronaldmaustin

View Profile
February 14, 2011, 02:56:05 AM

With 4 5970s, which PSU are you using? I assume the 1200 corsair I have only supports 2 because not only does it say on that ATI website I previously posted that it only supports 2, but I have tried using it with 4 and 3 5970s and it didn't work.

I'm using the Corsair 1000 that I posted a link to and an Antec 850 in two different machines running Win7 x64 in each with 2 5970's.  Both good power supplies after trying about five of them total.  Keep an eye out for the fact that some lines, such as Thermaltake  I think, actually have different lines of PSU that they release under the same wattages.  That alone should be an indicator that an 850 Watt PSU may not put out 850 Watts, even when comparing to the same brand.  Check online and find comparisons and reviews especially if it's something you are buying online and can't try out and easily return to the store.  I am an extreme cheapo when it comes to components but this is one area where you cannot just compare Watts and price.  Trust me.
dingus (OP)

View Profile
February 14, 2011, 03:14:57 AM

With 4 5970s, which PSU are you using? I assume the 1200 corsair I have only supports 2 because not only does it say on that ATI website I previously posted that it only supports 2, but I have tried using it with 4 and 3 5970s and it didn't work.

Check online and find comparisons and reviews especially if it's something you are buying online and can't try out and easily return to the store.  I am an extreme cheapo when it comes to components but this is one area where you cannot just compare Watts and price.  Trust me.

I guess this is the case. I have tried researching a PSU that supports x4 5970s but haven't really found anything that is conclusive. There just isn't any info out there.

ding·us/ˈdiNGgəs/
ronaldmaustin

View Profile
February 14, 2011, 03:59:09 AM

I guess this is the case. I have tried researching a PSU that supports x4 5970s but haven't really found anything that is conclusive. There just isn't any info out there.

If I had to toss a coin, I'd say that a 1200 Watt Corsair or Antec might do it.  Might.  However, it appears you are using the MSI 890FXA-GD70 motherboard.  Though it has five PCI-E, they appear stacked right next to eachother.  I tried TWO right next to eachother in my MSI Big Bang, which has as many or more slots, and found that putting cards in two adjacent slots caused the heat to go WAY up, perhaps 10-15 degrees on each card, causing malfuncitions.  The clearance between the cards is minimal, so I have no idea whether aftermarket cooling is an option.  I had to space the cards out enough that I don't think I could get a third one in there without more spacing between the slots.  If you get 4 cards in one box working reliably, please say what the trick is.  I noticed about 91 degrees is about where my 315khash begins to fall apart on each core.  Also, I did find that things run well at 99% GPU, but when I get to 100% GPU it falls to about 200khash/second momentarily until it drops to 99% again.  This is due to the increased heat just a couple of degrees above 91 C.  If I turn the clock DOWN, the GPU will cool, stay at 98-99% and give me a consistent 315khash again.  If you get higher numbers, let me know your settings.
ronaldmaustin

View Profile
February 14, 2011, 04:05:29 AM

Also, PSU's jump in price as you get towards the highest wattages.  And you need more and better cooling in your box.  You may be able to pick up an old ASUS A8N32-sli (what I use) w/ cpu and memory for $200 or so on ebay.  Weigh the few hundred extra against the time and trouble spent trying to do it all in one box.  At current prices, you'll make it back in the week lost trying to get it working in a single box.  Let us know if you get it working though.  Very interested.
dingus (OP)

View Profile
February 14, 2011, 04:20:39 AM

If I had to toss a coin, I'd say that a 1200 Watt Corsair or Antec might do it.  Might.  However, it appears you are using the MSI 890FXA-GD70 motherboard.  Though it has five PCI-E, they appear stacked right next to eachother.  I tried TWO right next to eachother in my MSI Big Bang, which has as many or more slots, and found that putting cards in two adjacent slots caused the heat to go WAY up, perhaps 10-15 degrees on each card, causing malfuncitions.  The clearance between the cards is minimal, so I have no idea whether aftermarket cooling is an option.  I had to space the cards out enough that I don't think I could get a third one in there without more spacing between the slots.  If you get 4 cards in one box working reliably, please say what the trick is.  I noticed about 91 degrees is about where my 315khash begins to fall apart on each core.  Also, I did find that things run well at 99% GPU, but when I get to 100% GPU it falls to about 200khash/second momentarily until it drops to 99% again.  This is due to the increased heat just a couple of degrees above 91 C.  If I turn the clock DOWN, the GPU will cool, stay at 98-99% and give me a consistent 315khash again.  If you get higher numbers, let me know your settings.

What I have done when I tried 3x 5970s was to not screw them into the case, and stick pieces of a plastic drinking straw in between the gpus in order to create room for airflow. This is from blog.zorinaq.com. Sorry for the insanely big picture.  Cheesy

ding·us/ˈdiNGgəs/
ShadowOfHarbringer
Legendary

View Profile
February 14, 2011, 10:42:51 AM
Last edit: February 14, 2011, 12:44:30 PM by ShadowOfHarbringer

What I have done when I tried 3x 5970s was to not screw them into the case, and stick pieces of a plastic drinking straw in between the gpus in order to create room for airflow. This is from blog.zorinaq.com. Sorry for the insanely big picture.  Cheesy

OMG, this is devastating o_O.

Three disadvantages:

1. When you will be mining like for few months/years, PCIE slots will loosen and get damaged (because the cards are not properly inserted into the slots, they're bent). You will have to buy new motherboard then.
2. The slots will loosen even faster, if you make the case stand vertically. You have to put this horizontally to work.
3. When you start mining, this setup will overheat with 99,9% probability. This is not for serious solutions.

If you want this to really work and cool off, you should consider flooding entire PC (except hard & dvd-drives of course) with oil and adding some pump, as they did here:
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/565060/mineral_oil_submerged_computer/

(You will probably need to add another oil circuit going through a car radiator if you want this to properly cool off)

However the disadvantage of this solution is that you probably can't properly clean the cards after, so warranty void.

dingus (OP)

View Profile
February 14, 2011, 02:09:57 PM

I don't use that solution anymore  Grin. Only 2x 5970s per mobo for me.

ding·us/ˈdiNGgəs/
dingus (OP)

View Profile
February 14, 2011, 02:44:20 PM

I'm pretty sure there is little stress put on the connectors, though. There is room for them to swivel inside the pcie slot, and not bend.

ding·us/ˈdiNGgəs/
ShadowOfHarbringer
Legendary

View Profile
February 14, 2011, 03:52:33 PM

I'm pretty sure there is little stress put on the connectors, though. There is room for them to swivel inside the pcie slot, and not bend.

Doesn't matter. If they are not attached to casing, they will loosen because of higher work temperature.
You have to place them perfectly straight, or there will be troubles.

MetallixX974

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 21, 2011, 02:16:22 AM

Grin Hi There !

I'm from France, and i have the same problem that Dingus !

I have bought the M4A89GTD-Pro not USB3.0, and i bought two Ati HD5970 cards, and i have a no signal screen the two cards are on the motherboard.
I have a certified 1200W PSU, the Corsair AX1200W.

Please read here i let a post on the official forum too.

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20110211072855742&board_id=1&model=M4A89GTD+PRO%2fUSB3&page=1&SLanguage=en-us
Mahkul

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

Every saint has a past. Every sinner has a future.

View Profile
February 21, 2011, 02:31:44 AM

Man, you want to be careful with that. I had a problem with one 5970 once (the fan wouldn't work) so I started moving it left and right within the slot (I thought there was a loose connection) - next thing I saw (and heard) was a BAM! - one of the condensers on the motherboard blew up! The motherboard is damaged now (even though it seems to be working, the information written on the disk is always corrupt), unable to install any OS on it.
bitjet

Activity: 696
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 21, 2011, 02:51:51 PM

Dingus; With your new Mobo do you have to do the monitor swap trick to get the second card running or does it detect it as another thread? Whats your hash rates? Im getting some random dropouts and all my temps are pretty reasonable.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: