Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 11:38:15 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [TROLL] Important Announcement Regarding the Mybitcoin.com Downtime  (Read 12065 times)
TheSeven

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

FPGA Mining LLC

View Profile WWW
August 02, 2011, 07:25:10 AM

Why would you list your email address as    Webmaster@mybitcoin.com in your profile if you really were the owner of mybitcoin.com - as you would surely know that there is no MX record for this domain - so that email address cannot currently work?

Wrong, default behavior of MTA's is to delivier to the A-record if no MX is found.

I already tested whether port 25 was listening  - it isn't.  So it still can't work.

Yeah because port 25 is totally the only port you could possibly run SMTP on... Just because it's the standard config doesn't mean that's always the way it will be configured.

How would an MTA know about a nonstandard port in this case though?

My tip jar: 13kwqR7B4WcSAJCYJH1eXQcxG5vVUwKAqY

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Oldminer
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 02, 2011, 07:27:03 AM

I smell shit

This guy can talk the.talk but walking the walk is something he fails at miserably

If you like my post please feel free to give me some positive rep https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=trust;u=18639
Tip me BTC: 1FBmoYijXVizfYk25CpiN8Eds9J6YiRDaX
enmaku

Activity: 742

View Profile
August 02, 2011, 07:28:54 AM

Why would you list your email address as    Webmaster@mybitcoin.com in your profile if you really were the owner of mybitcoin.com - as you would surely know that there is no MX record for this domain - so that email address cannot currently work?

Wrong, default behavior of MTA's is to delivier to the A-record if no MX is found.

I already tested whether port 25 was listening  - it isn't.  So it still can't work.

Yeah because port 25 is totally the only port you could possibly run SMTP on... Just because it's the standard config doesn't mean that's always the way it will be configured.

Quite true, redacted. Of course it could be that the service(s) are no longer running since the whole mess is offline right now anyway.

Edit: Ignore me, I'm just cranky because I'm on call tonight and I'm now up far later than I wanted to be helping people that I don't really want to help through things far too complicated for them to be doing, even with my guidance... Just another day in paradise Tongue
julz
Legendary

Activity: 1092

View Profile
August 02, 2011, 07:30:56 AM

Quite true, redacted. Of course it could be that the service(s) are no longer running since the whole mess is offline right now anyway.

The point is - the real tom williams would know the email is down - and wouldn't put that address in the profile.

oh.. plus what Magical Tux said.

I don't believe it's him.

@electricwings   BM-GtyD5exuDJ2kvEbr41XchkC8x9hPxdFd
hugolp
Legendary

Activity: 1148

Radix-The Decentralized Finance Protocol

View Profile
August 02, 2011, 07:31:11 AM

Hey guys, no use bashing him. What's done is done and it's not going to bring anything back.
I suggest you use the five stages of grief:  DABDA  (denial, anger, bargain, depression, acceptance) and move on to acceptance because the first four stages are pointless.

Well, that is if you believe the story. Im not saying its false, I dont have any indications that its either true or false.

But all these wallet.dat's being erased magically from all these services without the owners having any kind of local copy... It stings at kilometers of distance. What we should do is locate the keys where their funds where stored and keep an eye on them. If some years after they start to be moved you know what happened. Also, doing this would make anyone thinking on doing the same think twice about pulling something similar.

▄████████▄
               ██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
              ██▀
             ███
▄▄▄▄▄       ███
██████     ███
    ▀██▄  ▄██
     ▀██▄▄██▀
       ████▀
        ▀█▀
The Radix DeFi Protocol is
R A D I X

███████████████████████████████████

The Decentralized

Finance Protocol
Scalable
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
██                   ██
██                   ██
████████████████     ██
██            ██     ██
██            ██     ██
██▄▄▄▄▄▄      ██     ██
██▀▀▀▀██      ██     ██
██    ██      ██     
██    ██      ██
███████████████████████

███
Secure
      ▄▄▄▄▄
    █████████
   ██▀     ▀██
  ███       ███

▄▄███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▄▄
██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
██             ██
██             ██
██             ██
██             ██
██             ██
██    ███████████

███
Community Driven
      ▄█   ▄▄
      ██ ██████▄▄
      ▀▀▄█▀   ▀▀██▄
     ▄▄ ██       ▀███▄▄██
    ██ ██▀          ▀▀██▀
    ██ ██▄            ██
   ██ ██████▄▄       ██▀
  ▄██       ▀██▄     ██
  ██▀         ▀███▄▄██▀
 ▄██             ▀▀▀▀
 ██▀
▄██
▄▄
██
███▄
▀███▄
 ▀███▄
  ▀████
    ████
     ████▄
      ▀███▄
       ▀███▄
        ▀████
          ███
           ██
           ▀▀

███
Radix is using our significant technology
innovations to be the first layer 1 protocol
specifically built to serve the rapidly growing DeFi.
Radix is the future of DeFi
█████████████████████████████████████

▄▄█████
  ▄████▀▀▀
  █████
█████████▀
▀▀█████▀▀
  ████
  ████
  ████

Facebook

███

▄▄
       ▄▄▄█████
  ▄▄▄███▀▀▄███
▀▀███▀ ▄██████
    █ ███████
     ██▀▀▀███
           ▀▀

Telegram

███

▄      ▄███▄▄
██▄▄▄ ██████▀
████████████
 ██████████▀
   ███████▀
 ▄█████▀▀

Twitter

██████

...Get Tokens...
pekv2

Activity: 770
Merit: 502

View Profile
August 02, 2011, 07:33:45 AM

If this is not a hoax, claiming who he is, all I can say is WTF@No Backups/No Offline Backup. Just for my documents, I've got my stuff backed up on four different media.
Swishercutter

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 02, 2011, 07:35:40 AM

If this is not a hoax, claiming who he is, all I can say is WTF@No Backups/No Offline Backup. Just for my documents, I've got my stuff backed up on four different media.

Second that...and I don't have very much coin.
repentance

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 02, 2011, 07:40:18 AM

But all these wallet.dat's being erased magically from all these services without the owners having any kind of local copy... It stings at kilometers of distance. What we should do is locate the keys where their funds where stored and keep an eye on them. If some years after they start to be moved you know what happened. Also, doing this would make anyone thinking on doing the same think twice about pulling something similar.

It's kind of ironic that the community doesn't trust Joe average to back up his wallet properly but has blind faith that Bitcoin related services will keep multiple back ups of their data.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
hugolp
Legendary

Activity: 1148

Radix-The Decentralized Finance Protocol

View Profile
August 02, 2011, 07:42:50 AM

It's kind of ironic that the community doesn't trust Joe average to back up his wallet properly but has blind faith that Bitcoin related services will keep multiple back ups of their data.

Honestly, backing up your wallet.dat is not that hard. Anyone can get three cd's and make three copies. There is no excuse.

Being a business is harder because new addresses are created and you have to do it regularly but still, its nothing specially complicated.

▄████████▄
               ██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
              ██▀
             ███
▄▄▄▄▄       ███
██████     ███
    ▀██▄  ▄██
     ▀██▄▄██▀
       ████▀
        ▀█▀
The Radix DeFi Protocol is
R A D I X

███████████████████████████████████

The Decentralized

Finance Protocol
Scalable
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
██                   ██
██                   ██
████████████████     ██
██            ██     ██
██            ██     ██
██▄▄▄▄▄▄      ██     ██
██▀▀▀▀██      ██     ██
██    ██      ██     
██    ██      ██
███████████████████████

███
Secure
      ▄▄▄▄▄
    █████████
   ██▀     ▀██
  ███       ███

▄▄███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▄▄
██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
██             ██
██             ██
██             ██
██             ██
██             ██
██    ███████████

███
Community Driven
      ▄█   ▄▄
      ██ ██████▄▄
      ▀▀▄█▀   ▀▀██▄
     ▄▄ ██       ▀███▄▄██
    ██ ██▀          ▀▀██▀
    ██ ██▄            ██
   ██ ██████▄▄       ██▀
  ▄██       ▀██▄     ██
  ██▀         ▀███▄▄██▀
 ▄██             ▀▀▀▀
 ██▀
▄██
▄▄
██
███▄
▀███▄
 ▀███▄
  ▀████
    ████
     ████▄
      ▀███▄
       ▀███▄
        ▀████
          ███
           ██
           ▀▀

███
Radix is using our significant technology
innovations to be the first layer 1 protocol
specifically built to serve the rapidly growing DeFi.
Radix is the future of DeFi
█████████████████████████████████████

▄▄█████
  ▄████▀▀▀
  █████
█████████▀
▀▀█████▀▀
  ████
  ████
  ████

Facebook

███

▄▄
       ▄▄▄█████
  ▄▄▄███▀▀▄███
▀▀███▀ ▄██████
    █ ███████
     ██▀▀▀███
           ▀▀

Telegram

███

▄      ▄███▄▄
██▄▄▄ ██████▀
████████████
 ██████████▀
   ███████▀
 ▄█████▀▀

Twitter

██████

...Get Tokens...
Maged
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1015

View Profile
August 02, 2011, 07:46:14 AM

Hey guys, no use bashing him. What's done is done and it's not going to bring anything back.
I suggest you use the five stages of grief:  DABDA  (denial, anger, bargain, depression, acceptance) and move on to acceptance because the first four stages are pointless.

Well, that is if you believe the story. Im not saying its false, I dont have any indications that its either true or false.

This worries me. These incidents happened WAY too close to each other. I'm worried that we're dealing with someone who's trying to destroy bitcoin, rather than profit...

EhVedadoOAnonimato

Activity: 630

View Profile
August 02, 2011, 07:49:35 AM

Prove that you are the owner of MyBitcoin.

+1

I have a hard time believing MyBitcoin had no off line backups of its wallet.
pekv2

Activity: 770
Merit: 502

View Profile
August 02, 2011, 07:50:44 AM

Being a business is harder because new addresses are created and you have to do it regularly but still, its nothing specially complicated.

Being a business, just like google, they've got backups on tapes. There should have been an automated script somehow to backup every 15 to 30 minutes, then over writes every 30 - 60 days, then do offline backups every 5 hours a day. Storage is cheap nowadays.
SlaveInDebt

Activity: 699

Your Minion

View Profile
August 02, 2011, 07:51:07 AM

I don't believe the OP is really the owner of the mybitcoin regardless it never will stop amazing me that folks who can build and design web pages are so incompetent they can't do what my simple minded, drunk, honky ass can do or they claim they didn't do.

"A banker is a fellow who lends you his umbrella when the sun is shining, but wants it back the minute it begins to rain." - Mark Twain
the joint
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
August 02, 2011, 07:58:05 AM

Honestly, backing up your wallet.dat is not that hard. Anyone can get three cd's and make three copies. There is no excuse.

For being so technologically intelligent, I think what you said is completely idiotic.  This kind of naivete only adds to peoples' reluctance to join Bitcoin.  Yep, everyone knows how to back-up a hidden file and recover it without risk of losing their BTC in the event something goes wrong.  Sure.  Sure they do.

Edit:  I'll give you being a business is harder.
repentance

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 02, 2011, 07:59:02 AM

Prove that you are the owner of MyBitcoin.

+1

I have a hard time believing MyBitcoin had no off line backups of its wallet.

It's frighteningly common for small businesses not to have any backups at all of their data, let alone off-site and off-line backups.  While you'd think that a service which exists to protect people from deleting their own data or having it stolen and security would be extra vigilant about back ups, successful intrusions are a weekly event and businesses which should "know better" are often the target.  Whether this particular story is true or not, I'd bet good money that some of the Bitcoin related services still have inadequate security and back ups.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
jav

Activity: 249
Merit: 251

View Profile
August 02, 2011, 07:59:33 AM

I highly doubt this is the real Tom Williams. Quoting again from https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=22221.0 :

A large amount of the Bitcoin holding is in cold (offline) storage. We
only have a percentage of the holding available hot. This is done for
obvious reasons.

against:

I have completely lost access to the files that were hosted on the website and did not have a local backup of that data.

Hive, a beautiful wallet with an app platform for Mac OS X, Android and Mobile Web. Translators wanted! iOS and OS X devs see BitcoinKit. Tweets @hivewallet. Donations appreciated at 1HLRg9C1GsfEVH555hgcjzDeas14jen2Cn.
neofutur

Activity: 146
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 02, 2011, 08:04:41 AM

No, you never said you had 30 years of experience, but you did just make fun of someone for getting hacked. The fact you were taunted and made fun of and accused of being a thief and all the other crap associated with the intrusion to Mt.Gox, though, means that maybe you should actually understand what it feels like, and be an adult. Instead of taking the first opportunity you get to try and publicly humiliate someone else to get yourself a little payback.

pointing a lie is not making fun, its just pointing a lie
Chris Acheson

Activity: 266
Merit: 251

View Profile
August 02, 2011, 08:06:38 AM

C'mon guys, obvious troll is obvious.

The actual owner of MyBitcoin PGP signs his messages.
LightRider
Legendary

Activity: 1500
Merit: 1021

I advocate the Zeitgeist Movement & Venus Project.

View Profile WWW
August 02, 2011, 08:14:01 AM

Then the question is who whitelisted him?

Bitcoin combines money, the wrongest thing in the world, with software, the easiest thing in the world to get wrong.
Visit www.thevenusproject.com and www.theZeitgeistMovement.com.
qwk
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 3542
Merit: 3411

Shitcoin Minimalist

View Profile
August 02, 2011, 08:14:28 AM

I'd bet good money that some of the Bitcoin related services still have inadequate security and back ups.

True. But online wallet services not having a backup of their wallet.dat? I'll never buy that.

If you run an online wallet, you already have to interface with the bitcoind anyway. There's a nifty little command for it, called "backupwallet". backupwallet /path/to/your/backupwallet.dat is literally all you need. And if nothing else, just go ahead and download that backup file to your local workstation's hard disk or email it to your gmail account, whatever.

Any online wallet service provider claiming not to have a single backup of their wallet.dat is a plain liar.

Yeah, well, I'm gonna go build my own blockchain. With blackjack and hookers! In fact forget the blockchain.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: