Bitcoin Forum
May 26, 2024, 05:47:14 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How long would it take for Anarchy to start working?  (Read 16328 times)
westkybitcoins
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: Compromised. Thanks, Android!

View Profile
November 21, 2013, 11:00:36 PM

So you will allow female genital mutilation.  I assume the same logic applies to honour killings, bride burning and the like.

If that is what anarchy requires, then I don't see it ever "working."  

False.  I will not allow my child to have her genitals mutilated.  That's the point; it requires a rational society, of which you'd find no place if you will not even acknowledge when you're wrong.

As I said, you have no morality.  You don't want your child hurt but you turn a blind eye to a neighbour's child having her clitoris cut off without anaesthetic.  Disgusting.

False.  You have no idea what morality is, either, if you believe people can be with or without them.  Hawker, take my advice: take a class on philosophy, specifically on ethics.  It'll help.

Take care Smiley

Wait - you are happy to allow female genital mutilation, provided its not done to your daughter, and now you want to go all happy-clappy about believing in people?

If this is how your vision of anarchy "works" you'll find that people won't allow it.  As I say, disgusting.

Wait, wait... one of your disagreements with anarchy is because under it, some people somewhere might be circumcising their daughters?

We already live in a world with practically everyone under the thumb of some government, and this already happens. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a government or two that mandated it.

How is anarchy worse in that regard?

Bitcoin is the ultimate freedom test. It tells you who is giving lip service and who genuinely believes in it.
In the future, books that summarize the history of money will have a line that says, “and then came bitcoin.” It is the economic singularity. And we are living in it now. - Ryan Dickherber
ATTENTION BFL MINING NEWBS: Just got your Jalapenos in? Wondering how to get the most value for the least hassle? Give BitMinter a try! It's a smaller pool with a fair & low-fee payment method, lots of statistical feedback, and it's easier than EasyMiner! (Yes, we want your hashing power, but seriously, it IS the easiest pool to use! Sign up in seconds to try it!)
The idea that deflation causes hoarding (to any problematic degree) is a lie used to justify theft of value from your savings.
Hawker
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 21, 2013, 11:19:10 PM

...snip...

Wait - you are happy to allow female genital mutilation, provided its not done to your daughter, and now you want to go all happy-clappy about believing in people?

If this is how your vision of anarchy "works" you'll find that people won't allow it.  As I say, disgusting.

Wait, wait... one of your disagreements with anarchy is because under it, some people somewhere might be circumcising their daughters?

We already live in a world with practically everyone under the thumb of some government, and this already happens. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a government or two that mandated it.

How is anarchy worse in that regard?

Would you allow female genital mutilation?  If not, how would you prevent it if the majority of people in your area have chosen a protection service that does allow it?
cdtc

Activity: 294
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 21, 2013, 11:24:20 PM

To Anarchy to really work I think its gonna pass quite some time because the most of the people are on the level of consciousness for it to work.

BetFury                                                     
🐥Twitter | 📩Telegram | 🎲 You play - We pay 🎲 | YouTube 🍿| Reddit  🕹
                                                    Free BTC 1 800 Satoshi every day                                                   
Hawker
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 21, 2013, 11:24:56 PM

So you will allow female genital mutilation.  I assume the same logic applies to honour killings, bride burning and the like.

Personally I wouldn't. I would go out there and mutilate the shit out of these bastards and take full responsibility for what I have done.  Grin

What would you do? Go tell the government? Because it's their job?

That kind of stuff is YOUR responsibility if you think it's wrong. From treating your environment like it's the business of somebody else to keep it nice for you, it's just a small leap to treating your own life like that.

Of course you can't tolerate the idea of anarchy if the first things that pop into your mind when you hear "anarchy" are genital mutilation and blood-feuds.

Don't you trust people? And if not, why do you trust them to run a government? If people are not to be trusted, they should be kept from great power, not given it.

I'm intrigued.

First, female genital mutilation is done by mothers to daughters.  Are you seriously saying you are going to break into Muslim homes and inspect vaginas? And based on what you find start "mutilating bastards?"

Second, what is the basis for your "trust people?" You think fgm and bride burning are carried out by robots?  These are done by people.

Ekaros (OP)

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 21, 2013, 11:42:56 PM

To Anarchy to really work I think its gonna pass quite some time because the most of the people are on the level of consciousness for it to work.

And how long is that?

Are we talking about years, decades, centuries or millennials?

12pA5nZB5AoXZaaEeoxh5bNqUGXwUUp3Uv
http://firstbits.com/1qdiz
Feel free to help poor student!
cdtc

Activity: 294
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 21, 2013, 11:53:20 PM

And how long is that?

Are we talking about years, decades, centuries or millennials?
Who knows, it could be decades or even millenniums. It all depend in what direction the human race will go. But all you can do at the moment is to improve yourself as a person and set a good example to the others, because the only thing you can change is yourself.

BetFury                                                     
🐥Twitter | 📩Telegram | 🎲 You play - We pay 🎲 | YouTube 🍿| Reddit  🕹
                                                    Free BTC 1 800 Satoshi every day                                                   
Walter Rothbard

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

Bytecoin: 8VofSsbQvTd8YwAcxiCcxrqZ9MnGPjaAQm

View Profile WWW
November 22, 2013, 03:51:12 AM

But I prefer a national set of laws that reflects my values.

No, too inefficient.  How about a local set of laws you and your peers and their businesses all agree upon?  That way you're not getting in the way of people you've never met before, nor will stupid laws like "ban alcohol" or "cut off a lady's clitter" stretch very far.

You have no morality.

Female genital mutilation is an abomination.  The idea that the local majority can hire their own police force that will allow it disgusts me. 

I am not personally obligated to right every single wrong in the world at my own expense.  Those who are concerned about this evil should apply their own resources and manpower to do something about it. While I might be said to "allow" some evils because I am not personally giving my wealth or time or efforts to fighting them, I would also be "allowing" you to use force to do something about it, because I certainly wouldn't stand against you.

Personally, if I'm given a choice, I would be a lot more likely to give my efforts and wealth to help people escape from jurisdictions where these things are allowed to jurisdictions where they are not, rather than to efforts to try to go in to use force to stop such wrongs, which I consider to be a little bit impractical and utopian.

Walter Rothbard

Activity: 476

Bytecoin: 8VofSsbQvTd8YwAcxiCcxrqZ9MnGPjaAQm

View Profile WWW
November 22, 2013, 03:54:32 AM

Is the price of anarchy is that we have to allow female genital mutilation?

No, the price of anarchy is that if you want to make this your cause, you do so yourself, at your own expense, and you recruit help through persuasion, not force.

Take Nazism in the 20th century, for example.  You want to fight it, more power to you, but drafting and taxing other people to do so was wrong.  Others might have seen it as evil but not as evil as, say, Stalinism.  Or may have felt there were better ways to combat it, or whatever.

Likewise with Islamic extremism in the early 21st century.

And many, many other causes.

Just because something is evil does not mean you have the right to use force to make other people fight it.

ErisDiscordia
Legendary

Activity: 1133
Merit: 1163

Imposition of ORder = Escalation of Chaos

View Profile
November 22, 2013, 10:06:06 AM

I'm intrigued.

Good!

First, female genital mutilation is done by mothers to daughters.  Are you seriously saying you are going to break into Muslim homes and inspect vaginas? And based on what you find start "mutilating bastards?"

Personally, no - I'm actually a pacifist. I would break into Muslim homes and try talking to them reasonably, haha. Anyway, what is your alternative? Let government agents break into Muslim homes and inspect vaginas? Like I said before: if you don't like something in your environment or culture, you - yes YOU - that tiny, powerless, inconsequential existence, which needs to be protected and guided by authority (or so they say) are responsible for doing that. If you delegate this responsibility to some sort of higher power (God, government, etc) you have no business making moral judgements about - that's how I see it.

Second, what is the basis for your "trust people?" You think fgm and bride burning are carried out by robots?  These are done by people.

It's my choice to trust people. I find it makes for a more friendly, exciting and optimistic reality-tunnel than choosing to view people as crooked. Both are valid views, though and I'm not sure it's possible to definitely prove one or the other, so I'll just make my choice and take it with all that it brings. But notice, my position has consistent logic. I trust people to be generally good (with the limiting factor here being their cultural environment, which might turn any of us into sociopaths) and thus they don't need to be ruled over by an authority by force.

Your stance on the other hand, seems to be that people are NOT to be trusted by default and that is why they need to be ruled by force. By other people. Who are also not to be trusted.

Do you see the flaw in that?

If you are really convinced that people are crooked by nature, you should be supporting anarchy as this limits the amount of damage they can do collectively thanks to withholding the possibility of acquiring huge centralized power.

It's all bullshit. But bullshit makes the flowers grow and that's beautiful.
beetcoin

Activity: 434

View Profile
November 22, 2013, 10:33:23 AM

i had a long discussion with an anarchist and he seemed hell bent on converting me. to me, he just sounded like a crazy idealist. it just won't work.

you can give me one example of an anarchist society out of hundreds.. or thousands. i'd tell you that eventually they collapsed, probably because they were not organized enough.. while neighboring groups WERE organized. it's like saying "we don't want any guns," but your neighbor buys them all and eventually dominates you.
deisik
Legendary

Activity: 3444
Merit: 1280

English ⬄ Russian Translation Services

View Profile WWW
November 22, 2013, 10:50:13 AM
Last edit: November 22, 2013, 02:42:01 PM by deisik

Animals don't kill each other for fun, they kill each other for food.

Humans kill each other for fun and for materialistic gain, for the destruction of our home.  Having an elite group of sociopaths is a man made system.

This is complete bullshit. Domectic cats kill mice often for fun without any intention to eat them, lions kill hyenas whenever an opportunity arises (not saying that they often kill their own kittens if they want to bang their mom), bottle-nose dolphins have been proven to kill porpoises without any purpose, even ants wage wars and capture slaves making them work against their will... Grin

deisik
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 22, 2013, 11:11:49 AM

Society can't even get along with Laws, it would be worse without them.

Anarchism is not without laws; it's the only form of governance where everyone has to follow them, in fact.

What you're referring to is called a constitutional state where everyone is bound to keep the law and in which the power of state is constrained by the law in order to protect citizens from an arbitrary exercise of authority... Cool

niothor

Activity: 826
Merit: 501

in defi we trust

View Profile
November 22, 2013, 11:16:53 AM

Anarchy > working.
There is something in this title that bugs me.
How can you have a scale of "anarchy" working or not?

▄          ▄▄▄▄    ▄
            ███      ▄██████▀  ▀█▀
            ███     ▄██▀
            ███     ███        ▄█▄   ▄█▄ ▄█████▄▄         ▄▄██████▄      ▄█▄ ▄█████▄▄         ▄▄█████▄▄        ▄▄█████▄▄
    ▄▄▄▄▄▄  ███     ███        ███   ██████▀▀▀▀███▄     ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄    ██████▀▀▀▀███▄     ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄    ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄
  ▄████████▄███  ▄█████████▄   ███   ████▀      ▀███   ▄██▀       ▀██▄   ████▀      ▀███   ▄██▀       ▀█▀   ▄██▀       ▀██▄
▄███▀    ▀█████   ▀▀███▀▀▀▀    ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███              ███████████████
███   ▄▄   ▀███     ███        ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███              ███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███   ▀▀   ▄███     ███        ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ▄    ███         ▄
▀███▄    ▄█████     ███        ███   ███         ███    ███▄▄   ▄▄████   ███         ███    ███▄▄    ▄███    ███▄▄   ▄▄███
  ▀████████▀███     ███        ███   ███         ███     ▀████████▀███   ███         ███     ▀█████████▀      ▀█████████▀
    ▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▀       ▀          ▀     ▀           ▀         ▀▀▀▀▀   ▀     ▀           ▀         ▀▀▀▀▀            ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
   ▄▄▀▀       ▀▀▄▄
  █               █ ▄
 █   █▀▄ ▀█▀ ▀█▀   █ ▀▄
 █   █▀▄  █   █    █  ▀▄
  █  ▀▀   ▀   ▀   █    █
▄▀ ▄▄           ▄▀    ▄▀
 ▀▀  ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀      ▀▄
        ▀▄▄      ▄▄▀▀▄▄▀
           ▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄
  ▄█▄              ▄███████▄
  ▀████▄▄         ██████▀██████▀
    ▀▀▀████▄▄     ███████████▀
    ▀██▄███████▄▄███████████
     ▄▄▄▀██████████████████
      ▀████████████████████
▀█▄▄     ▀████████████████
  ▀████████████████▀█████
    ▀████████████▀▄▄███▀
       ▀▀██████████▀▀
           ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄   ▄▄
              ▄▀ ▀▀█  █
             ▄▀     ▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄█▄
     ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
 ▄▀▄▀              ▀▄▀▄
█  █   ▄█▄    ▄█▄   █  █
 ▀█    ▀█▀    ▀█▀    █▀
  █                  █
   █   ▀▄      ▄▀   █
    ▀▄   ▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▄▀
      ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀
New Age of DEFI
A Non-Code Platform for
Decentralized Trading Instruments

▄▄███████████████▄▄
 ▄█████████████████████▄
▄██████████████▀▀███████▄
████████████▀▀    ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄   ███████
██████▀▀     █    ███████
████▀       █     ███████
█████▄▄   ▄█      ███████
████████ ██▄      ███████
▀████████ ▀▄███▄▄███████▀
 ▀█████████████████████▀
   ▀▀███████████████▀▀

▄              ▄
   ▄███▄          ▄███▄
   █████▄  ▄▄▄▄  ▄█████
  ▄████████████████████▄
 ▄██████████████████████▄
 ████████████████████████
██████▀▀          ▀▀██████
█████▀   ▄      ▄   ▀█████
 ████   ███    ███   ████
  ████   ▀      ▀   ████
   ▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
     ▀▀████████████▀▀

▄▄████████████████▄▄
 ▄█████▀▀▀██████▀▀▀█████▄
▄████▀  ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀  ▀████▄
████▀                ▀████
███▀                  ▀███
███       ▄    ▄       ███
██▀      ███  ███      ▀██
██       ▀█▀  ▀█▀       ██
██▄     ▄        ▄     ▄██
▀██▄     ▀▀▄▄▄▄▀▀     ███▀
 ▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄████▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀
   ▀▀████████████████▀▀
deisik
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 22, 2013, 11:24:57 AM

Society can't even get along with Laws, it would be worse without them.

Anarchists don't advocate living without laws.

I'm still curious how are you going to make all people universally agree on these laws? Who actually adopts a law and what would happen to those who will be against the adopted law? Grin

deisik
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 22, 2013, 11:28:59 AM
Last edit: November 22, 2013, 11:47:14 AM by deisik

Anarchy would never ever ever work.  Human nature is not anarchical but hierarchical.   

LoL. Human nature. You know what human nature is? It is ADAPTABILITY. We can be anarchic or authoritarian and all sorts of things in between. But don't you ever think this can never change, or is somehow programmed into us before we are born. We respond to environmental conditions and develop accordingly.

Adaptability is not human nature, it is a trait of all living beings. Human nature is hierarchical because humans are social beings, i.e. tending to organize into hierarchical societies. And yes, it is programmed into us before we are born... Cool

House cats are true anarchists! Grin

Ekaros (OP)

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 22, 2013, 11:46:55 AM

Anarchy > working.
There is something in this title that bugs me.
How can you have a scale of "anarchy" working or not?

Working... Probably more of being vast majority to be adapted...

Probably one scale would be for median to have have as good or better standard of living than in current society. If that's even achiavble. Which I have my own doubts...

12pA5nZB5AoXZaaEeoxh5bNqUGXwUUp3Uv
http://firstbits.com/1qdiz
Feel free to help poor student!
ErisDiscordia
Legendary

Activity: 1133
Merit: 1163

Imposition of ORder = Escalation of Chaos

View Profile
November 22, 2013, 11:51:08 AM
Last edit: November 22, 2013, 12:07:15 PM by ErisDiscordia

This thread continues to be a great resource for common misconceptions about anarchy. Like this one, for example:

I'm still curious how are you going to make all people universally agree on these laws? Who actually adopts a law and what would happen to those who will be against the adopted law? Grin

The idea of anarchy means, "no ruler", remember? A ruler might be anyone or anything, which enforces a given set of rules (laws). This means, that when anarchy suggests, getting rid of rulers, it suggests getting rid of universal laws. - a single set of rules being enforced on everyone in a given territory and opening up the debate to multiple, competing, voluntary sets of rules.

Look at it this way: in the past, there have been fought religious wars over the idea, that there simply can't be more than one religion (set of rules) in the same place. In the present, wars are fought over the idea, that here simply can't be more than government (set of rules) in the same place.

EDIT: just noticed this:

Adaptability is not human nature, it is a trait of all living beings. Human nature is hierarchical because humans are social beings, i.e. tending to organize into hierarchical societies. And yes, it is programmed into us before we are born... Cool

Adaptability = trait of all living beings. Humans = living beings => Human beings have the trait of adaptability. Right? As much as dislike Aristotelian either/or logic, I think his syllogism works within that framework.

The bolded part is what really interests me. I disagree with that statement and instead tend to subscribe to the 8 circuit model of consciousness, which would argue that all we are programmed with before we are born is the ability to perceive and live in hierarchical social structures (2nd circuit in that model), but the actual approach towards these structures is programmed into us during periods of "imprint vulnerability", meaning the time, when that particular circuit of intelligence first kicks into action as we grow up and evolve as individuals. And it is programmed into us mostly by chance exposure to our environment. You can also create a controlled programming environment by using rites of passage (as many tribes still do). Or you can learn how to re-program yourself, which would be my preferred option.

On one level, this is beyond the scope of this discussion, because we're talking about the feasibility of Anarchy, but on another level it is deeply connected to the discussion and seems to me to be at the root of the ideological debate between, let's say "authoritarians" and "libertarians". Both camps seem to come from different assumptions: the first being that people have a fixed human nature, which is slanted towards selfishness, evil, and similar concepts and can not be changed. The second being that humans either are of a permanently good, benign and cooperative nature, or that their character is fixed only a little or not at all and is thus subject to influence from the environment.

Anyway, let's keep the discussion going, this is providing me with an excellent framework for an article I am planning to write about human nature and anarchy Smiley

It's all bullshit. But bullshit makes the flowers grow and that's beautiful.
deisik
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 22, 2013, 12:15:09 PM

The idea of anarchy means, "no ruler", remember? A ruler might be anyone or anything, which enforces a given set of rules (laws). This means, that when anarchy suggests, getting rid of rulers, it suggests getting rid of universal laws. - a single set of rules being enforced on everyone in a given territory and opening up the debate to multiple, competing, voluntary sets of rules.

Ok, there's no ruler, no universal laws anymore, and so why do you think there will be a new shiny set of rules everyone on the block agrees upon? People are different and even between two people you will get a disagreeing minority... Grin

deisik
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 22, 2013, 12:26:43 PM

Adaptability = trait of all living beings. Humans = living beings => Human beings have the trait of adaptability. Right? As much as dislike Aristotelian either/or logic, I think his syllogism works within that framework.

I think it is evident from my post that adaptability is not something specific to humans only but inherent in all living beings. It is not a trait of human nature which distinguishes it from other creatures (the context was about what makes human nature so peculiar), that's all Cool

In short, you'd better stop nitpicking  Undecided

hawkeye

Activity: 364
Merit: 253

View Profile
November 22, 2013, 12:29:33 PM

Ok, there's no ruler, no universal laws anymore, and so why do you think there will be a new shiny set of rules everyone on the block agrees upon? People are different and even between two people you will get a disagreeing minority... Grin

There is no universal law now.   Where is the world ruler and his/their laws that we all have to follow?

We currently have competing law providers that we are "contracted" to.  I use contract loosely of course, because there is no such thing.

Why should a law provider be bound to a certain patch of land and no other law providers be able to operate in the same territory?  If we had competition we could make actually choices about what we deem to be good laws and if we don't think our provider is doing a good job, we can end the contract and pick another law provider, without having to go through the hassle of emigration.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: