Bitcoin Forum
June 01, 2024, 03:14:46 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 591 592 593 594 595 596 597 598 599 600 601 602 603 604 605 606 607 608 609 610 611 612 613 614 615 616 617 618 619 620 621 622 623 624 625 626 627 628 629 630 631 632 633 634 635 636 637 638 639 640 [641] 642 643 644 645 646 647 648 649 650 651 652 653 654 655 656 657 658 659 660 661 662 663 664 665 666 667 668 669 670 671 672 673 674 675 676 677 678 679 680 681 682 683 684 685 686 687 688 689 690 691 ... 2557 »
  Print  
Author Topic: NXT :: descendant of Bitcoin - Updated Information  (Read 2761533 times)
opticalcarrier

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 10:38:26 PM

everyone please note the www.nxtcrypto.org that has been MUCH improved in the last 2 days.  QBTC@nextcoin has worked hard on it and is paying for hosting out of pocket, I hope she gets some bounty for it and to keep it running.

I think its in good shape for launch now.  As soon as CfB/JLC comes across with the source it will be posted there as well.
utopianfuture

Activity: 602
Merit: 268

Internet of Value

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 10:40:09 PM

I can't comment much on technical side, But wesley's implementation of Chrome and Firefox plugin are

Chrome : nxt space alias and
Firefox : nxt : alias

I personally prefer nxt space alias and also nxt : alias cannot be implemented in chrome so I left it nxt space alias as an universal approach.

░░░░░░▄▄▄████████▄▄▄
░░░░▄████████████████▄
░░▄███████████████████▄
███████████████████████
▐████████████████████████▌
█████████████████████████
▐██████████████████████▌
████████████████████████
░░▀████████████████████▀
░░░░▀████████████████▀
░░░░░░▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
  TomoChain  •    •  TomoChain 
░░░░░░▄▄▄████████▄▄▄
░░░░▄████████████████▄
░░▄███████████████████▄
███████████████████████
▐██████████████████████▌
████████████████████████
░░▀████████████████████▀
░░░░▀████████████████▀
░░░░░░▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
EvilDave

Activity: 854
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 10:47:08 PM

OOOh looks like we have a troll...please can I keep him?

Only if u promise to walk it every day,  teach it to spell and clean out its cage.

Nulli Dei, nulli Reges, solum NXT
Love your money: www.nxt.org  www.ardorplatform.org
www.nxter.org  www.nxtfoundation.org
mcjavar

Activity: 784
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 10:47:51 PM

everyone please note the www.nxtcrypto.org that has been MUCH improved in the last 2 days.  QBTC@nextcoin has worked hard on it and is paying for hosting out of pocket, I hope she gets some bounty for it and to keep it running.

I think its in good shape for launch now.  As soon as CfB/JLC comes across with the source it will be posted there as well.

We NEED an official homepage and this one seems pretty good. How can we ensure that people won´t get fooled over there?
notsoshifty

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 10:50:17 PM

I can't comment much on technical side, But wesley's implementation of Chrome and Firefox plugin are

Chrome : nxt space alias and
Firefox : nxt : alias

I personally prefer nxt space alias and also nxt : alias cannot be implemented in chrome so I left it nxt space alias as an universal approach.

That's great, and regarding what a user enters into a browser we do have to work within some constraints already set, but aliases have the potential to be more than just a replacement for a single web URL. At least, the ability to define email address, web address, and nxt account ID in a single alias (or one alias acting as a bundle referencing three other aliases that each reference a single target), would be attractive.
NxtChg

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

Simcoin Developer

View Profile WWW
January 02, 2014, 10:53:41 PM

Guys, something weird happened!

Either I screwed up big or maybe it's some bug?

I've sent today 14699 NXT to a customer in response for his withdrawal request, but money went into another account #434692873790144579 (tx 4799337629054063359).

So are there any checks for validity of addresses or can it be absolutely any number?

Anybody owns this account by any chance?

The weird thing is I am very careful and I do copy-paste from the form that my backend shows me. I have no idea where this erroneous number could appear from, because there are no users with such number in my database. There are no passwords, or accounts with that number which I could have accidentally copied. All my passwords and phrases are alphanumeric.

My client is 0.4.8 and has correct hash (I checked after reports today).

So how could this happen???

If it was a mistake, I guess there is no chance to find a key for this account? Smiley

Still, I absolutely can't understand, how, during a simple copy-paste, this could have happened...

Simcoin: https://simtalk.org:444/ | The Simplest Bitcoin Wallet: https://tsbw.io/ | Coinmix: https://coinmix.to | Tippr stats: https://tsbw.io/tippr/
--
About smaragda and his lies: https://medium.com/@nxtchg/about-smaragda-and-his-lies-c376e4694de9
msin
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1004

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 10:56:43 PM

Is anyone going to use Arbitrary Messages within next 2 weeks? It seems to me that without a client that supports this feature we don't need AM.

I realy do respect your work sir, but without a client you better stop loosing your time here.

No one will bother using API strings etc... no client = no product.

and yes eMunie is a finished product that will blow all your efforts away just becaus you will always be second!

Stop trolling.  eMu is controlled and developed by one person, Dan, who will keep the project closed source for at least a year.  It's not decentralized and new eMu can be created on a whim without any knowledge as to why or how.  The client is going to be delayed for at least another month or two, at which time Nxt will have a # of functional clients.
utopianfuture

Internet of Value

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 11:04:09 PM

It is not a good strategy to put the success or failure of a 100 million usd project in the hands of one person... If nextern can't deliver the client for whatever reason, there is no chance for a mass adoption. And the other projects are also developing. Like the asset exchange for btc announced today.

Btw, I am currently developing a closed-source Windows client. Right now, I am working on the blockchain explorer part, since this is what I want personally, but eventually it will have all mainstream features like seen in the web client. It might not be the silver bullet, but it might suit some. I will post when I have something to show and download.

I would really like to see others starting developement of other clients and less nexern bashing.

Love it, marcus03. I imagine Bitcoin community at the beginning would also have this kind of attitude. Bitcoin have at least 3 main clients, so I don't see why NXT does not have several ones. The more diverse, the better. that is the only way we can compete squarely with Bitcoin cartel.

░░░░░░▄▄▄████████▄▄▄
░░░░▄████████████████▄
░░▄███████████████████▄
███████████████████████
▐██████████████████████▌
████████████████████████
░░▀████████████████████▀
░░░░▀████████████████▀
░░░░░░▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
░░░░░░▄▄▄████████▄▄▄
░░░░▄████████████████▄
░░▄███████████████████▄
███████████████████████
▐██████████████████████▌
████████████████████████
░░▀████████████████████▀
░░░░▀████████████████▀
░░░░░░▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
BloodyRookie

Activity: 687
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 11:04:42 PM

I've sent today 14699 NXT to a customer in response for his withdrawal request, but money went into another account #434692873790144579 (tx 4799337629054063359).

So are there any checks for validity of addresses or can it be absolutely any number?

The weird thing is I am very careful and I do copy-paste from the form that my backend shows me. I have no idea where this erroneous number could appear from, because there are no users with such number in my database. There are no passwords, or accounts with that number which I could have accidentally copied. All my passwords and phrases are alphanumeric.

If it was a mistake, I guess there is no chance to find a key for this account? Smiley

Still, I absolutely can't understand, how, during a simple copy-paste, this could have happened...

Is the account you wanted to transfer the money to similar to that account you actually did the transfer? Then it was probably your mistake.
And there is no way to find the key to the account. If there were a way, nxt accounts would not be safe.

Nothing Else Matters
NEM: NALICE-LGU3IV-Y4DPJK-HYLSSV-YFFWYS-5QPLYE-ZDJJ
NXT: 11095639652683007953
notsoshifty

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 11:07:38 PM

Similar description to Framewood's problem. Was that ever confirmed as the same (or similar) hack to PaulyC etc?
PGPpfKkx

Activity: 586
Merit: 501

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 11:09:16 PM

i think there is need to have the client warn for sending money over to zero accounts as others have pointed out.

as a side note i will at some point build a service that i can't disclose for nxt , im just saying this cause its a celebration day Smiley
gbeirn

Activity: 126

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 11:11:42 PM

i think there is need to have the client warn for sending money over to zero accounts as others have pointed out.

as a side note i will at some point build a service that i can't disclose for nxt , im just saying this cause its a celebration day Smiley

Any of these things can be easily implemented by the client software. Query the blockchain to see an account balance and present a warning if balance is zero, double enter passphrase to send, etc. Just need someone to write the software to do so.

NXT VPS Server Donations can be sent here: 6044921191674841550
At the end of each month I will donate some of them back to the community.
This is separate from my main wallet so you can keep track of them. I will keep them in there and only use them for hosting.
NxtChg

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

Simcoin Developer

View Profile WWW
January 02, 2014, 11:19:03 PM

Account number was completely different, there is absolutely no chance of typo, especially since I just copy-paste them.

And such long number couldn't just happen to be accidentally in my clipboard. And that I also missed that it changed. I always double-check everything and very careful. Don't you think it would be easy to notice that something like 17828278889143303730 changed into 434692873790144579 right under my eyes?

Simcoin: https://simtalk.org:444/ | The Simplest Bitcoin Wallet: https://tsbw.io/ | Coinmix: https://coinmix.to | Tippr stats: https://tsbw.io/tippr/
--
About smaragda and his lies: https://medium.com/@nxtchg/about-smaragda-and-his-lies-c376e4694de9
Zahlen

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 11:19:16 PM
Last edit: January 03, 2014, 07:04:58 AM by Zahlen

To the detractors who have appeared today, remember that no project needs to be (nor can be) perfect out of the gate, but it must be resilient. And I think this NXT team is.

This echoes my sentiments.

I think a lot of the detractors are seeing this the wrong way. It seems to me that they're looking to invest in a shiny product that does shiny things out of the box (and will continually be updated to do even shinier things). That shinyness is not for themselves, but for the public, who for the most part are attracted to shiny things. They hope that if the public eventually buy into a lot of shiny NXT, the value of their own NXT, bought much earlier at much lower prices, will jump tremendously. They are also thinking of the launch as when this shiny product gets shipped out to people.

But personally, that's not what I looked at when I bought into NXT a few days ago. I saw a remarkable set of principles like decentralization (not just of software and hardware running the NXT protocols, but also of the ability for people to get NXT), security, proof of stake, trust in mathematical algorithms instead of human institutions for handling transactions, NXT as not just a currency but an ecosystem of services. And most importantly of all IMO, freedom. From reading this thread, I see a lot of people, including the devs, who believed in these principles, enough so that they would risk their $ when this was a much less certain thing. And who now also give out, with no strings attached, the now valuable NXT to compensate theft victims and get new people interested in NXT.

From these principles are founded the features, and protocols that support these features. (Much smarter folks in this thread who are familiar with all this, so I won't go into them.) The launch is not a traditional launch in the sense of opening a store or shipping out the first boxes. It really is about making the source code, the instructions that make NXT work, publicly available, so that people (with the knowledge and skills) can verify that NXT is indeed doing what the devs claim it does, and indeed keeping to the principles that it is founded on. And also increasing public awareness about NXT.

I think people didn't focus as much on the principles of usability and accessibility early on, seemed like they felt that it was more important to get the other principles (and consequent features) right first. But certainly we do believe in usability, the alias system is an example of that. And more and more people here (including myself) are talking about the user-friendliness and idiot-proofness of the client. I fully expect these features to similarly become a reality, starting from the principles.

Basically, I invested in people and their principles, rather than the product. To me the product is a consequence of the people and principles, and I think with this group of people (not just the devs, but including the community of stakeholders), there will be an excellent product, much shinier than anything we have so far. And, again from reading the thread, I think a lot of people share my feelings. I'm glad to be with good company here. Smiley

So for potential investors: If you just want to invest in a shiny product, maybe wait a while for that product (in particular the client) to shape up first before you decide. If you want to invest in people and principles, you don't have to wait to decide, read through this thread and take a look at the people and principles for yourselves.

EDIT: Sorry, not just this thread, also the original thread at https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=303898.140

Damelon
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1010

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 11:25:21 PM

To the detractors who have appeared today, remember that no project needs to be (nor can be) perfect out of the gate, but it must be resilient. And I think this NXT team is.

This echoes my sentiments.

I think a lot of the detractors are seeing this the wrong way. It seems to me that they're looking to invest in a shiny product that does shiny things out of the box (and will continually be updated to do even shinier things). That shinyness is not for themselves, but for the public, who for the most part are attracted to shiny things. They hope that if the public eventually buy into a lot of shiny NXT, the value of their own NXT, bought much earlier at much lower prices, will jump tremendously. They are also thinking of the launch as when this shiny product gets shipped out to people.

But personally, that's not what I looked at when I bought into NXT a few days ago. I saw a remarkable set of principles like decentralization (not just of software and hardware running the NXT protocols, but also of the ability for people to get NXT), security, proof of stake, trust in mathematical algorithms instead of human institutions for handling transactions, NXT as not just a currency but an ecosystem of services. And most importantly of all IMO, freedom. From reading this thread, I see a lot of people, including the devs, who believed in these principles, enough so that they would risk their $ when this was a much less certain thing. And who now also give out, with no strings attached, the now valuable NXT to compensate theft victims and get new people interested in NXT.

From these principles are founded the features, and protocols that support these features. (Much smarter folks in this thread who are familiar with all this, so I won't go into them.) The launch is not a traditional launch in the sense of opening a store or shipping out the first boxes. It really is about making the source code, the instructions that make NXT work, publicly available, so that people (with the knowledge and skills) can verify that NXT is indeed doing what the devs claim it does, and indeed keeping to the principles that it is founded on. And also increasing public awareness about NXT.

I think people didn't focus as much on the principles of usability and accessibility early on, seemed like they felt that it was more important to get the other principles (and consequent features) right first. But certainly we do believe in usability, the alias system is an example of that. And more and more people here (including myself) are talking about the user-friendliness and idiot-proofness of the client. I fully expect these features to similarly become a reality, starting from the principles.

Basically, I invested in people and their principles, rather than the product. To me the product is a consequence of the people and principles, and I think with this group of people (not just the devs, but the community of stakeholders), there will be an excellent product, much shinier than anything we have so far. And, again from reading the thread, I think a lot of people share my feelings. I'm glad to be with good company here. Smiley

So for potential investors: If you just want to invest in a shiny product, maybe wait a while for that product (in particular the client) to shape up first before you decide. If you want to invest in people and principles, you don't have to wait to decide, read through this thread and take a look at the people and principles for yourselves.

I couldn't agree more. Clients, usuability etc. will be made on TOP of the system that in itself is where the potential lies.
If you would take the case off of a TV, car or computer, most normal consumers wouldn't buy it, yet it's exactly the unseen part that makes the thing function and where the biggest part of it's value lies.

Nxt's principles are sound. I cannot judge the quality of coding, as I don't have enough knowledge there. However, I cán judge the amount of sheer hard work and dedication that is going into the project. If people say it must be crap because it is funded with only 21 BTC, I invite them to consider the term "sweat equity". We have an ample amount of that.

Member of the Nxt Foundation | Donations: NXT-D6K7-MLY6-98FM-FLL5T
Join Nxt Slack! https://nxtchat.herokuapp.com/
Founder of Blockchain Workspace | Personal Site & Blog
salsacz

Activity: 490
Merit: 504

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 11:27:03 PM
Last edit: January 02, 2014, 11:41:27 PM by salsacz

NXTEAM

If I knew it would take so many hours, I wouldn't have done it, but friends, I've finally finished updating Translators Sheet in the Googledoc:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgAGADgnQcrtdHRrV3V3Z1lzOXVEMWtqdElUaEtqV1E#gid=8

Section is divided by languages, I added a lot of Nxt acc numbers, checked Wikis and added people from there. Then I checked all posts (!) from all mentioned translators (!!) and added links to the translated texts... (there is also one little joke :-)

Don't forget about updating your Nxt acc if you had moved Smiley

It would be nice to have Wiki translated into many languages, we are expecting many newbies here soon, so instructions are:
http://wiki.nxtcrypto.org/wiki/Help_translate

- everyone is welcomed Smiley

I will try to update this sheet every month, but others can also update it themselves Cheesy There is a section for every week in the month, so just put there a link to your translations....  Wink
PGPpfKkx

Activity: 586
Merit: 501

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 11:30:59 PM

whats the status CfB are we all supposed to create new accounts and send our money over there even if we had the original 0.4.8 client just because earlier clients could have been hacked too or is it for the paranoid only?

i know its up to me, but what other members have done? share your pick. its a bit costly to send them to a new acct..
kunibopl

Activity: 184

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 11:31:49 PM

is the real name of EpicThomas already known?
I suggest, that he returns twice the NXT he stole within a week.
otherwise the police hitmen should take over.

NXT: 5231236538923913892
morningtime

Activity: 160

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 11:32:37 PM

whats the status CfB are we all supposed to create new accounts and send our money over there even if we had the original 0.4.8 client just because earlier clients could have been hacked too or is it for the paranoid only?

i know its up to me, but what other members have done? share your pick. its a bit costly to send them to a new acct..

I moved all my funds to be sure. I can't tell whether my older client was hacked. Moving funds costs 1 NXT - peanuts.
utopianfuture

Internet of Value

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 11:34:08 PM

Check the integrity of your client first. Compare the checksum hash256 of the zip file to the one in the first page. If it matches, then you're safe.

░░░░░░▄▄▄████████▄▄▄
░░░░▄████████████████▄
░░▄███████████████████▄
███████████████████████
▐██████████████████████▌
████████████████████████
░░▀████████████████████▀
░░░░▀████████████████▀
░░░░░░▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
░░░░░░▄▄▄████████▄▄▄
░░░░▄████████████████▄
░░▄███████████████████▄
███████████████████████
▐██████████████████████▌
████████████████████████
░░▀████████████████████▀
░░░░▀████████████████▀
░░░░░░▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
Pages: « 1 ... 591 592 593 594 595 596 597 598 599 600 601 602 603 604 605 606 607 608 609 610 611 612 613 614 615 616 617 618 619 620 621 622 623 624 625 626 627 628 629 630 631 632 633 634 635 636 637 638 639 640 [641] 642 643 644 645 646 647 648 649 650 651 652 653 654 655 656 657 658 659 660 661 662 663 664 665 666 667 668 669 670 671 672 673 674 675 676 677 678 679 680 681 682 683 684 685 686 687 688 689 690 691 ... 2557 »
  Print  

Jump to: