Bitcoin Forum
June 29, 2024, 12:26:21 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Why Bitcoin is ultimately doomed to fail (not today or tomorrow)  (Read 40844 times)
deisik (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3458
Merit: 1280

English ⬄ Russian Translation Services

View Profile WWW
January 28, 2014, 08:23:32 PM

Should I explain to you what "speak for yourself" means?

You might want to explain to us what you think it means.

I didn't say "speak for yourselves", right?

That's not a very good explanation.

I think it explains enough...

I think you're lying, though I guess it's possible you're just really really confused.

Oh, really?

anth0ny

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 08:28:30 PM

Oh, really?

Great. Now, has something led you to believe that I don't speak for myself?
anth0ny

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 08:31:01 PM

If you are still not satisfied with that, you can always look up in a dictionary...

"something you say to someone to tell them that the opinion that they have just expressed is not the same as your opinion"

So, when you say that I don't speak for myself, what you mean is that you disagree with me?

Must be a Brit thing. I've never heard the phrase used that way. Thanks for giving us an explanation, though.

(Why not just say "I disagree"?)
deisik (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 28, 2014, 08:36:51 PM

If you are still not satisfied with that, you can always look up in a dictionary...

"something you say to someone to tell them that the opinion that they have just expressed is not the same as your opinion"

So, when you say that I don't speak for myself, what you mean is that you disagree with me?

That you should, well, speak for yourself only, not for someone else or on someone else's behalf, meaning that he/they may not agree with you and actually be of different opinion. So your use of "us" is not justified whenever you used this pronoun instead of "me"...

So, speak for yourself

Impaler

Activity: 826
Merit: 250

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 08:41:01 PM

How goes it deisik?  It seems to me your thread is infested with brain-dead trolls, perhaps it is time to throw in the towel here, these types never learn anything no matter how brutally they are beaten in a debate.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
CryptoTalk.org| 
MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!
🏆
anth0ny

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 08:41:44 PM
Last edit: January 28, 2014, 08:57:42 PM by anth0ny

That you should, well, speak for yourself only, not for someone else or on someone else's behalf, meaning that he/they may not agree with you and actually be of different opinion. So your use of "us" is not justified whenever you used this pronoun instead of "me"...

Using the word "us" does not mean you are speaking on someone else's behalf.

Teacher: Who wants a quiz today?
Student: I would prefer for you to give us the quiz tomorrow.

Has the student failed to speak for herself? I'd say [speaking for herself is] exactly what she's done.

If the student had said "We would prefer for you to give us the quiz tomorrow." that'd be a different story, of course.
deisik (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 28, 2014, 08:50:56 PM

How goes it deisik?  It seems to me your thread is infested with brain-dead trolls, perhaps it is time to throw in the towel here, these types never learn anything no matter how brutally they are beaten in a debate.

Yeah, they can hardly provide anything worthy of consideration from the economic point of view, but some of them (you guess) are still interesting types to poke a stick at, lol...

deisik (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 28, 2014, 08:53:45 PM
Last edit: January 28, 2014, 09:50:10 PM by deisik

Using the word "us" does not mean you are speaking on someone else's behalf.

Teacher: Who wants a quiz today?
Student: I would prefer for you to give us the quiz tomorrow.

Has the student failed to speak for herself? I'd say that's exactly what she's done.

Yes, she failed to speak for herself, unless the teacher was going to give the quiz to all the students which could be evident from the context or situation. In the latter case she has the right to speak on behalf of the class...

And in any case, the student doesn't speak for herself

anth0ny

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 08:55:40 PM

Yes, she failed to speak for herself. Just like you did...

OK then, so you just don't understand how to speak English.

Or as you would say, speak for yourself! LOL.
anth0ny

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 09:01:53 PM

unless the teacher was going to give the quiz to all students which could be evident from the context or situation.

Ah, now you get it. Good edit. (Generally, when teachers give quizzes, they give the quiz to all the students!)

When I asked you to post something in this thread, I was asking for you to post a message to all of us on the board.

In the latter case she has the right to speak on behalf of the class...

OK, maybe you don't get it. Saying what you personally would like someone to do is not speaking on behalf of others.
deisik (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 28, 2014, 09:03:00 PM
Last edit: January 28, 2014, 09:48:17 PM by deisik

I think you don't take into account the context and consider only one possible situation (which suits you best). If the teacher was not going to give the quiz at all, the student would cause much rage from the class for not speaking for herself...

Lol, I even initially wrote "not speaking for yourself" thinking about you, not that student...

anth0ny

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 09:04:08 PM

I think you don't take into account the context and consider only one possible situation. If the teacher was not going to give the quiz, she would cause much rage from the class for not speaking for yourself...

Considering that I made up the hypothetical I think I know the context of it better than you!
deisik (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 28, 2014, 09:10:47 PM

unless the teacher was going to give the quiz to all students which could be evident from the context or situation.

Ah, now you get it. Good edit. (Generally, when teachers give quizzes, they give the quiz to all the students!)

When I asked you to post something in this thread, I was asking for you to post a message to all of us on the board.

You asked me to "explain to us" when actually it was only you personally who got confused, so you meant it to sound as if all on the board were confused which was obviously not the case...

anth0ny

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 09:14:08 PM

You asked me to "explain to us" when actually it was you personally who got confused, so you meant it to sound as if all on the board were confused which was obviously not the case...

If it was obviously not the case, why would you interpret it that way?

And what does that have to do with whether or not I was speaking for myself? You said yourself that I should "think of other people reading all this ****".

I have no idea if "all on the board were confused". But I do know that you were being confusing.
deisik (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 28, 2014, 09:26:10 PM

You asked me to "explain to us" when actually it was you personally who got confused, so you meant it to sound as if all on the board were confused which was obviously not the case...

If it was obviously not the case, why would you interpret it that way?

And what does that have to do with whether or not I was speaking for myself?

Because you intentionally (as I see now) tried to create a false impression that there was universal misunderstanding and thus demanded an explanation speaking on behalf of all on the board...

anth0ny

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 09:29:23 PM

Because you intentionally (as I see now) tried to create a false impression that there was universal misunderstanding...

Universal misunderstanding? I never claimed it was universal. In fact, I suggested that maybe you had learned things differently than I had.
TeseracT

Activity: 85
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 09:31:19 PM

With digital asset exchange, we will come up with better solution than using paper, I guess. Colored coins could resolve it.

ICONOMI - Fund Management Platform  ❘|❘ ICO ❘|❘ DISCUSSION
anth0ny

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 09:31:32 PM

and thus demanded an explanation speaking on behalf of all on the board...

I just asked that you explain it to us - not to me privately, but publicly to everyone reading this thread (think of the other people who have to read your ****).
deisik (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 28, 2014, 09:34:16 PM

Because you intentionally (as I see now) tried to create a false impression that there was universal misunderstanding...

Universal misunderstanding? I never claimed it was universal. In fact, I suggested that maybe you had learned things differently than I had.

Had it been the case, you would obviously have asked "explain this to me". And I didn't say you claimed, I said that you tried to create such an impression...

deisik (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 28, 2014, 09:35:20 PM

and thus demanded an explanation speaking on behalf of all on the board...

I just asked that you explain it to us - not to me privately, but publically to everyone reading this thread (think of the other people who have to read your ****).

Trying to make a fool of myself you are actually making a fool of yourself...

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 »
  Print  

Jump to: