Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 03:37:20 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Why Bitcoin is ultimately doomed to fail (not today or tomorrow)  (Read 40844 times)
anth0ny

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 06:03:49 PM

From your posts I got the idea that fractional reserve banking (full reserve banking being an ideal) would somehow prevent bank runs. Do you confirm that?

Absolutely not.

it would make them more expensive to point it would be unprofitable to "run" them any more

Even with full reserve banking on, banks are not guaranteed from problems that could provoke bank runs. Financial panic doesn't discriminate between good and bad banks...

OK, but you agree that full reserve banking would prevent the vast majority of bank runs, right?

"A run on a bank occurs when a large number of depositors, fearing that their bank will be unable to repay their deposits in full and on time, simultaneously try to withdraw their funds immediately." http://www.econlib.org/library/Enc/BankRuns.html

Do you agree with that?
MICRO
Legendary

Activity: 2464
Merit: 1037

CEO @ Stake.com and Primedice.com

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2014, 06:08:29 PM

"Only 21M" ? Well by that time we will deal in satoshys Smiley They will be worth enough Wink . Hihihi...

▄▄████████▄▄
   ▄████████████████▄
 ▄█████▀▀       ▀▀████     ████                  ████
▄████▀            ████    ████▌                 ▐████
█████           ▄████▀   ▐████                  ████▌    ▄▄
█████           ▀▀▀▀    ▄█████████▀            ▐████   ▄███▀
 █████▄           ▄▄███████████▀▀   ▄▄▄▄       ████  ▄███▀
   ▀█████▄▄       ▀████▀████▀     ▄████▀███   ▐███████▀▀        ▄▄▄▄
      ▀███████▄        ▐████    ▄████  ▐██▌   ███████        ▄███▀ ██▌
         ▀▀██████▄▄    ████    ▄███▀   ███   ▐███▌███      ▄███▀  ▄██▌
    ▄▄▄▄     ▀▀█████  ▐████    ████   ▄███   ████ ▐███    ▐████▄▄███▀
  █████▀▀      ▀████▌ ▐████▄▄██████▄▄█████▄▄█████  ▀███   ████
 ████▀          ████▌  ▀████▀▀  ▀████▀  ▀██▀ ███▀   ▀███  ▀████▄▄▄▄██
████▌          █████        ▄▄▄▄   ▄▄▄▄▄▄  ▄ ▄▄ ▄ ▄▄ ▀███   ▀▀████▀▀
████▄       ▄▄████▀       ▄█▀   ▀ ▄█▀  ▀█▄ ██▀▀██▀▀██▀███▄▄      ▄▄██
 ██████████████▀▀  ▄███▄  ██▄     ██▄  ▄██ ██  ██  ██   ▀▀█████████▀▀
   ▀██████▀▀▀      ▀███▀   ▀████▀  ▀████▀  ██  ██  ██

▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
█  ▄▀▄             █▀▀▐▀▄▄
█  █▀█             █  ▐  ▐▌
█       ▄██▄       █  ▌  █
█     ▄██████▄     █  ▌ ▐▌
█    ██████████    █ ▐  █
█   ▐██████████▌   █ ▐ ▐▌
█    ▀▀██████▀▀    █ ▌ █
█     ▄▄▄██▄▄▄     █ ▌▐▌
█                  █▐ █
█                  █▐▐▌
█                  █▐█
▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀█
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█▀▀▀█████████▀▀▀█▄
▄█▀    ▄▀█████▀     ▀█▄
▄█▄    █        ▀▄   ███▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▄       ▄▀▀▀▀▀███▄
████      ▀▄▄▄▄▄▀       ███
███     ▄▄███████▄▄     ▄▀█
█  ▀▄ ▄▀ ▀███████▀ ▀▄ ▄▀  █
▀█   █     ▀███▀     ▀▄  █▀
▀█▄▄█▄      █        █▄█▀
▀█████▄ ▄▀▀ ▀▀▄▄ ▄▄███▀
▀█████        ████▀
▀▀█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀▀

● OVER 1000 GAMES
● DAILY RACES AND BONUSES
● RAKEBACK & VIP RANKS
● 24/7 LIVE SUPPORT
deisik (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3458
Merit: 1280

English ⬄ Russian Translation Services

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2014, 06:21:14 PM

Even with full reserve banking on, banks are not guaranteed from problems that could provoke bank runs. Financial panic doesn't discriminate between good and bad banks...

OK, but you agree that full reserve banking would prevent the vast majority of bank runs, right?

No, I can't agree with that. As I told you earlier, checking accounts make up only a small portion of individuals' money held in deposits in the majority of banks. So the full reserve banking as you see it (i.e. encompassing only demand deposits) can't possibly prevent bank runs in the majority of cases, lol...

deisik (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2014, 06:23:32 PM

A run on a bank occurs when a large number of depositors, fearing that their bank will be unable to repay their deposits in full and on time, simultaneously try to withdraw their funds immediately." http://www.econlib.org/library/Enc/BankRuns.html

Even this definition emphasizes that depositors 1) are afraid that the bank will be unable to repay their deposits, and 2) will try to withdraw their funds immediately

anth0ny

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 06:28:41 PM

No, I can't agree with that. As I told you earlier, checking accounts make up only a small portion of individuals' money held in deposits in the majority of banks.

Really? What percentage? What's the rest?
deisik (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2014, 06:30:06 PM

No, I can't agree with that. As I told you earlier, checking accounts make up only a small portion of individuals' money held in deposits in the majority of banks.

It seems that almost the same question was already asked by me. Do you want me to quote it?

anth0ny

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 06:30:49 PM

A run on a bank occurs when a large number of depositors, fearing that their bank will be unable to repay their deposits in full and on time, simultaneously try to withdraw their funds immediately." http://www.econlib.org/library/Enc/BankRuns.html

Even this definition emphasizes that depositors 1) are afraid that the bank will be unable to repay their deposits, and 2) will try to withdraw their funds immediately

Do you agree with that statement?
anth0ny

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 06:31:50 PM

It seems that almost the same question was already asked by me. Do you want me to quote it?

You asked the question? Does that mean you don't know the answer?
anth0ny

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 06:34:28 PM

So the full reserve banking as you see it (i.e. encompassing only demand deposits) can't possibly prevent bank runs in the majority of cases, lol...

What about full reserve banking which encompasses all checking, savings, and time deposits, as well as all money market mutual funds?

Why is this funny?
deisik (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2014, 06:36:33 PM

It was you who pretended that "their (Northern Rock) subprime mortgage business involved loaning out demand deposits". So it is actually your responsibility to prove the point...

I've given strong logical reasons why demand deposits (checking accounts) for individuals should be much less than time deposits (saving accounts). It is obvious that the exact percentage will be different even for the same bank at different times...

anth0ny

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 06:38:26 PM

It was you who pretended that "their (Northern Rock) subprime mortgage business involved loaning out demand deposits". So it is actually your responsibility to prove the point...

Sorry about that. I withdraw my point.

I've given strong logical reasons why demand deposits (checking accounts) for individuals should be much less than time deposits (saving accounts). It is obvious that the exact percentage will be different even for the same bank at different times...

So you don't know? Obviously I'm not asking for an exact figure to the penny.
deisik (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2014, 06:39:53 PM

So the full reserve banking as you see it (i.e. encompassing only demand deposits) can't possibly prevent bank runs in the majority of cases, lol...

What about full reserve banking which encompasses all checking, savings, and time deposits, as well as all money market mutual funds?

Why is this funny?

This point has already been addressed by me previously (which you obviously have forgotten). In this case, banks would turn into money warehouses, and depositors would have to pay banks for storing their money (since they couldn't loan it and thus earn interest)...

anth0ny

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 06:41:02 PM

Why is this funny?

This point has already been addressed by me previously (which you obviously have forgotten). In this case, banks would turn into money warehouses, and depositors would have to pay banks for storing their money (since they couldn't loan it and thus earn interest)...

Well yeah, of course.

But we wouldn't have any bank runs, right?
deisik (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2014, 06:45:54 PM
Last edit: February 20, 2014, 06:59:11 PM by deisik

Sorry about that. I withdraw my point.

So you don't know?

For a given bank, it is impossible to tell unless you work in the bank. On the economy scale though, you could use monetary aggregates to calculate the averages for that economy, but these aggregates (how they are calculated) are different between economies...

deisik (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2014, 06:53:51 PM
Last edit: February 20, 2014, 07:08:39 PM by deisik

Why is this funny?

Well yeah, of course.

Wrong. That's why I'm telling you that even 100% reserve banking won't help you. If we take as a basis the definition that you've given, then bank runs could still happen (i.e. the depositors trying to withdraw their funds immediately), but since there is no loaning (the money is in the money warehouse all the time), there will be no significant negative effects, if any, on the economy and no bankruptcies...

deisik (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2014, 07:01:51 PM

If you are really curious about that percentage (i.e. the ratio of demand deposits to term deposits or the inverse relationship), we could approximately calculate it here (for Russian economy). On rough estimates, demand deposits compose less than one third of term deposits for individuals...

So my guess is correct, lol

anth0ny

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 07:54:44 PM

Why is this funny?

Well yeah, of course.

Wrong. That's why I'm telling you that even 100% reserve banking won't help you. If we take as a basis the definition that you've given, then bank runs could still happen (i.e. the depositors trying to withdraw their funds immediately), but since there is no loaning (the money is in the money warehouse all the time), there will be no significant negative effects, if any, on the economy and no bankruptcies...

Well, you're right that it's theoretically possible, but it'd eliminate the vast majority of bank runs, would it not?

Remember, part of the definition is "fearing that their bank will be unable to repay their deposits in full and on time". You agree with that definition, right?
anth0ny

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 07:55:16 PM

If you are really curious about that percentage (i.e. the ratio of demand deposits to term deposits or the inverse relationship), we could approximately calculate it here (for Russian economy). On rough estimates, demand deposits compose less than one third of term deposits for individuals...

I didn't realize you were guessing. Thanks.

So I guess savings accounts and other non-checking accounts which are payable on demand would also have to have full reserves.

And I guess you're right that this means banks would have to charge (more than currently) for deposits.
deisik (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2014, 08:07:23 PM

guess : to suppose or think (something)

You deprived me of the ability to think or make assumptions about something? Grin

anth0ny

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 10:37:08 PM

guess : to suppose or think (something)

You deprived me of the ability to think or make assumptions about something? Grin

Now look up the definition of the noun. Tongue

"an attempt to give an opinion or answer about something when you do not know much about it or are not sure about it"
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 »
  Print  

Jump to: