Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 02:00:29 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: who bought bitmain Z9 will face a big issues now  (Read 4064 times)
Riptide_NVN

Activity: 294
Merit: 16

View Profile
May 07, 2018, 12:26:44 AM

They already changed their minds and spun a 180 from statements made originally regarding their opinion on ASIC resistance.

This change of mind has upset some of their backers.  I agree that yet more upset could be the result of yet another 180 degree change of direction on the issue.  Though such things can be difficult to predict.
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Kalyst69

Activity: 147
Merit: 1

View Profile
May 07, 2018, 01:04:06 AM

They said that Equihash is ASIC resistant because it requires a lot of memory, it doesn't mean it's ASIC proof and they never said that they will fight against ASICs all their life. As they say now, they cannot fight all their life against technology, they have more important things to improve their algorithm. I don't see any problem in ASICs (Bitcoin, Litecoin and others are still alive), only those who put all their money in GPU are afraid. People has to stop to talk about decentralization, everybody is looking to save his own investment, they just want money. it's hypocrisy.
If no ASIC, soon with ETH POS you will see million of GPU coming to increase the alt coins difficulty and then make GPU mining less profitable. And I prefer not talk about FPGA that cannot be stopped by a fork.

Host your ASICs in Siberia for $0.07/KW all inclusive. Contact me for information.
Riptide_NVN

View Profile
May 07, 2018, 01:33:38 AM

I read his original statements.  Yes they never said they would fight to the death forever until the end of time to stop this swearing on their mother's grave.  The original statement is plain to me.  They are pretty much giving up without barely a whimper now.  They are clearly not keeping with the spirit of that original statement.  Regardless - the situation we have now is what it is.

I don't see it as a positive turn of events - perhaps you do.  I don't see much advantage to this.  Now we will have skyrocketing difficulty where the only way you can continue to be involved is to buy one of the new machines along with everyone else.  Causing difficulty to continue to climb and your margins to shrink again.  In the end once things settle you're back close to where you started only you went to all the trouble and expense of switching your entire setup.  And now concentrated all that hash into fewer devices, more costly devices, and devices controlled by a single entity.  An entity that at this point we are lucky in that the only thing we are (reasonably) sure of is mining privately before releasing to the public.

ASIC mining sucks.  Putting a GPU rig together is a fun thing.  An ASIC not so much.  The hobby aspect of this thing for me anyway evaporates once we get to that point.  For people who are serious investors maybe not so much.  To each his own I suppose.

Good luck to us all.
ltcsprite

Activity: 269
Merit: 101

View Profile
May 07, 2018, 01:39:15 AM

But liek... what about bitcoin? 

Evolution.
ltcsprite

View Profile
May 07, 2018, 01:39:50 AM

I read his original statements.  Yes they never said they would fight to the death forever until the end of time to stop this swearing on their mother's grave.  The original statement is plain to me.  They are pretty much giving up without barely a whimper now.  They are clearly not keeping with the spirit of that original statement.  Regardless - the situation we have now is what it is.

I don't see it as a positive turn of events - perhaps you do.  I don't see much advantage to this.  Now we will have skyrocketing difficulty where the only way you can continue to be involved is to buy one of the new machines along with everyone else.  Causing difficulty to continue to climb and your margins to shrink again.  In the end once things settle you're back close to where you started only you went to all the trouble and expense of switching your entire setup.  And now concentrated all that hash into fewer devices, more costly devices, and devices controlled by a single entity.  An entity that at this point we are lucky in that the only thing we are (reasonably) sure of is mining privately before releasing to the public.

ASIC mining sucks.  Putting a GPU rig together is a fun thing.  An ASIC not so much.  The hobby aspect of this thing for me anyway evaporates once we get to that point.  For people who are serious investors maybe not so much.  To each his own I suppose.

Good luck to us all.

Sitting in a room with 3000 watt of GPU's vs a 300 watt Asic, sounds like a great hobby, hehe.

Riptide_NVN

View Profile
May 07, 2018, 01:44:54 AM

What about bitcoin?  Who mines it?  And with what hardware made by whom?  Connect the dots.

And sitting in a room with 3000w of GPUs vs a 300w ASIC get out of here with that baloney.  The sad thing is as loud as the ASICs typically are the GPU rig would probably be quieter.  And your not going to want either one of them running hot.

If this is evolution it's akin to a retarded fish frog growing a fourth leg after having buttsechs with a squirrel.
ltcsprite

View Profile
May 07, 2018, 01:49:26 AM

What about bitcoin?  Who mines it?  And with what hardware made by whom?  Connect the dots.

And sitting in a room with 3000w of GPUs vs a 300w ASIC get out of here with that baloney.  The sad thing is as loud as the ASICs typically are the GPU rig would probably be quieter.  And your not going to want either one of them running hot.

If this is evolution it's akin to a retarded fish frog growing a fourth leg after having buttsechs with a squirrel.

How long have you been mining with GPU's?

Asking seriously.
Riptide_NVN

View Profile
May 07, 2018, 01:51:28 AM

Asking seriously.
Rather than ask a leading personal question why don't you just make your statement so as to not waste your time or mine?  Thanks.
ltcsprite

View Profile
May 07, 2018, 01:52:06 AM

That's a VERY fair comparison, I run a ton of 1060's. 
ltcsprite

View Profile
May 07, 2018, 01:53:21 AM

Asking seriously.
Rather than ask a leading personal question why don't you just make your statement so as to not waste your time or mine?  Thanks.

I don't have a statement, asking you how long you've been mining with GPU's will reveal all I need to know. 

Things change.
Riptide_NVN

View Profile
May 07, 2018, 01:56:52 AM

I don't have a statement, asking you how long you've been mining with GPU's will reveal all I need to know.
Since late last year.
Things change.
They sure do and not always wholly for the better.
gotminer

Activity: 644
Merit: 24

View Profile
May 07, 2018, 01:57:40 AM

Old school, huh?  Missed the boat on getting rid of those for a good price, but I guess that doesn't matter at this point ... They should have paid for themselves over and over again by now, if you bought them when they were top of the line.  

If you're talking 1070ti or better, than your 3000W figure is more than double what reality is.

Ok, I want you to walk back in there and very calmly, very politely tell the risk assessors to fuck off! -Mark Baum
ltcsprite

View Profile
May 07, 2018, 01:58:24 AM

Since late last year.
Things change.
They sure do and not always wholly for the better.

What is wrong with more efficient hardware unless you have not made your money back on GPUs?

I run a ton of GPUs and I still bought some.

Only argument I can see is GPU profits will go down, which they have done so for years.
ltcsprite

View Profile
May 07, 2018, 01:59:46 AM

Old school, huh?  Missed the boat on getting rid of those for a good price, but I guess that doesn't matter at this point ... They should have paid for themselves over and over again by now, if you bought them when they were top of the line.  

If you're talking 1070ti or better, than your 3000W figure is more than double what reality is.

Lol,  Wink

Yeah my gear was paid off last year, buncha 1060 Asus Strixx 6gb's.   Still run several 580's & 480's. 

Riptide_NVN

View Profile
May 07, 2018, 02:02:08 AM

What is wrong with more efficient hardware unless you have not made your money back on GPUs?
I'd be wasting your time at this point.  I've tried to explain it once already.  Perhaps someone else can do a better job than me.  Perhaps you have already heard it all - and feel your position is solid.

My small six GPU rig has definitely NOT paid for itself however I didn't spend so much money on it that ROI is a big issue for me.  I did this mainly for fun - because I enjoy GPU mining.
ltcsprite

View Profile
May 07, 2018, 02:04:48 AM

I'd be wasting your time at this point.  I've tried to explain it once already.  Perhaps someone else can do a better job than me.  Perhaps you have already heard it all - and feel your position is solid.

My small six GPU rig has definitely NOT paid for itself however I didn't spend so much money on it that ROI is a big issue for me.  I did this mainly for fun - because I enjoy GPU mining.

No worries, not wasting my time, was just curious because I think recently new GPU miners think Asic are the devil and in reality they are just way more efficient, yes they will increase difficulty yes it will skyrocket, but it doesn't mean they are bad.  

My GPU mining went from 4K/month to 1.5K/month.  

Just taking a shot at the Z9's it's my first Asic, could be a total bust and burial.  

I also strongly believe GPU mining will survive whatever Asic's throw at it in the near future, just will be at a disadvantage.   But eventually...... I don't know.

It is what it is.
ZedZedNova

Activity: 475
Merit: 265

Ooh La La, C'est Zoom!

View Profile
May 07, 2018, 02:29:28 AM

And sitting in a room The sad thing is as loud as the ASICs typically are the GPU rig would probably be quieter.

I don't know about that. If the Z9 truly is a 300 Watt miner, you would not need to move too much air through it to keep it cool enough. I have an S7-LN that has been modded by sidehack to reduce the power and frequency so that you can spin the fan slower to keep the noise down. It draws ~450 Watts from the wall, and quiet enough that sitting about 3 feet away from me I can easily carry on a normal volume conversation or watch TV without cranking up the volume.

The fan is manually set to 20% which is reported as 1,680 r/min, and the reported chip temps hover in the 54-55C range. If the room is warm, the temps might climb 1-2C.

I'm considering ordering a Z9 to see how it does. Since crypto mining is a hobby for me the Z9 reaching ROI would be great. If not, well, it's no worse than blowing the engine in my race car. It will also add to my collection of miners, CPU, GPU, and ASIC, for whatever that's worth.

No mining at the moment.
Riptide_NVN

View Profile
May 07, 2018, 02:31:28 AM

A $2000 race car engine?  What is that a junkyard LS1?  Grin

ASIC don't exactly have a reputation for being quiet.  I guess we'll see.
ZedZedNova

Activity: 475
Merit: 265

Ooh La La, C'est Zoom!

View Profile
May 07, 2018, 02:39:42 AM

A $2000 race car engine?  What is that a junkyard LS1?  Grin

ASIC don't exactly have a reputation for being quiet.  I guess we'll see.

Actually it's a $2,500 Mazda Renesis, from a junkyard.  Grin

Correct, the S7-LN normally is pretty loud when it spins up, but it gets nice and quiet a little while after it starts. There is no way my wife would put up with a loud miner.

No mining at the moment.
arielbit
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1059

View Profile
May 07, 2018, 02:58:42 AM

I've been all GPU since 2013...

if you don't know what to do with your GPUs...GPUs aren't for you  Wink
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: