Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 11:53:24 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Everyone doing cryptocoins should be using Linux as OS  (Read 5276 times)
lif3

Activity: 37
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 16, 2013, 12:46:11 AM

Tried to use, but can't really get use to it. Any suggestions? Smiley
raspcoin

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 16, 2013, 12:47:41 AM

A live cd of xbuntu is 600 MB, that is the full os being able to run, yes packages are in a compressed environment, but you can't stick a full install of XP on a cd and expect it to run.

In fact I have XP instalation CD and it works fine even without running updates.

That is an installation cd, can you put that disk in your computer and play on xp before you install it?

My statement stands, please read it again if you didn't understand it fully, but I will help out. You cannot have a live cd of xp under 2GB, I am not talking about XP PE either, that isn't the full os.

I tried ubuntu before, and it was too complicated to get anything other than steam and the other normal apps to run on it for me. I like windows because its a middle of the road OS, half user friendly, half technical if you want to edit things.

I felt exactly like you, but after a week I got everything running!

But what about the games ?  Gamers still need Windows Tongue

I stopped playing video games (I have a xbox but dont use it). If you have a extremely powerful computer then you can use WINE to open windows app.

Good luck running iTunes

What exactly is the purpose of that program compared to the alternatives? I really do not understand why I would want to have it.

nahtnam
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

nahtnam.com

View Profile WWW
December 16, 2013, 12:49:12 AM

What are your most used apps? I struggled with it for a week and then finally got settled in. There is a stack overflow section for ubuntu so if you have any questions you can ask there.

nahtnam
Legendary

nahtnam.com

View Profile WWW
December 16, 2013, 12:49:34 AM

A live cd of xbuntu is 600 MB, that is the full os being able to run, yes packages are in a compressed environment, but you can't stick a full install of XP on a cd and expect it to run.

In fact I have XP instalation CD and it works fine even without running updates.

That is an installation cd, can you put that disk in your computer and play on xp before you install it?

My statement stands, please read it again if you didn't understand it fully, but I will help out. You cannot have a live cd of xp under 2GB, I am not talking about XP PE either, that isn't the full os.

I tried ubuntu before, and it was too complicated to get anything other than steam and the other normal apps to run on it for me. I like windows because its a middle of the road OS, half user friendly, half technical if you want to edit things.

I stopped playing video games (I have a xbox but dont use it). If you have a extremely powerful computer then you can use WINE to open windows app.

Good luck running iTunes

What exactly is the purpose of that program compared to the alternatives? I really do not understand why I would want to have it.

Which program? WINE?

caminilegroup

Activity: 42

View Profile WWW
December 16, 2013, 12:50:03 AM

Good luck running iTunes

Die hard linux users won't touch itunes, they are android for life users.

I was using android, but recently got an iphone. I have a spare (old) mac that I never use.

Only reason I have my apple products is because apple essentially makes you have them if you are a developer. You can only do so much in the emulator, but you need the iphone or ipad to do real world test.

Plus the apple tv's are nice for the kids
nahtnam
Legendary

nahtnam.com

View Profile WWW
December 16, 2013, 12:51:20 AM

Good luck running iTunes

Die hard linux users won't touch itunes, they are android for life users.

I was using android, but recently got an iphone. I have a spare (old) mac that I never use.

Only reason I have my apple products is because apple essentially makes you have them if you are a developer. You can only do so much in the emulator, but you need the iphone or ipad to do real world test.

Plus the apple tv's are nice for the kids

Ya, Im going to start developing an iphone app for my aunt soon. I prefer google tv over apple tv any day.

raspcoin

View Profile
December 16, 2013, 12:51:33 AM

Good luck running iTunes

Which program? WINE?

iTunes, of course. Wine has no real alternatives.

nahtnam
Legendary

nahtnam.com

View Profile WWW
December 16, 2013, 12:52:40 AM

Good luck running iTunes

Which program? WINE?

Well iTunes is a stupid program that you are FORCED to use by apple if you have an iPhone. Any app beats iTunes. I prefer spotify because for $10 you can listen to any song online or offline!

raspcoin

View Profile
December 16, 2013, 12:54:49 AM

Good luck running iTunes

Which program? WINE?

Well iTunes is a stupid program that you are FORCED to use by apple if you have an iPhone. Any app beats iTunes. I prefer spotify because for $10 you can listen to any song online or offline!

It sure sucks if you are a developer. That is why I prefer web apps, even if the tech is not there yet.

caminilegroup

View Profile WWW
December 16, 2013, 12:58:07 AM

Good luck running iTunes

Which program? WINE?

It sure sucks if you are a developer. That is why I prefer web apps, even if the tech is not there yet.

Tell me about it.

When I develop for android I can just email the apk to people for testing.

iOS devices, shit, I have to load certificates on each device and manually load the file either from xcode or have them on my wifi. Apple is aggravating when it comes to developers.

Let's not forget, android one time fee to become a developer. Apple, yearly 99 fee for ios.
lif3

View Profile
December 16, 2013, 01:05:45 AM

What are your most used apps? I struggled with it for a week and then finally got settled in. There is a stack overflow section for ubuntu so if you have any questions you can ask there.

Adobe softwares, LoL others I can get alternatives, the most important one is drivers...nvidia nvs won't work. Took me days before I figure out how and I forgot :p
caminilegroup

View Profile WWW
December 16, 2013, 01:07:59 AM

Adobe softwares, LoL others I can get alternatives, the most important one is drivers...nvidia nvs won't work. Took me days before I figure out how and I forgot :p

If it is photoshop, gimp is a good alternative, and for nvida

Linus Torvalds: Nvidia, Fuck You! http://youtu.be/iYWzMvlj2RQ
nahtnam
Legendary

nahtnam.com

View Profile WWW
December 16, 2013, 01:22:18 AM

Good luck running iTunes

Which program? WINE?

Tell me about it.

iOS devices, shit, I have to load certificates on each device and manually load the file either from xcode or have them on my wifi. Apple is aggravating when it comes to developers.

Let's not forget, android one time fee to become a developer. Apple, yearly 99 fee for ios.

And then they overprice their products.

caminilegroup

View Profile WWW
December 16, 2013, 01:28:06 AM

Good luck running iTunes

Which program? WINE?

Tell me about it.

And then they overprice their products.

That they do, but people eat them up.

lif3

View Profile
December 16, 2013, 02:26:40 AM

Since I'm a graphic designer, photoshop is a must... Tongue
I like what he said, nvidia is stupid not to make drivers for linux. Wish there are more laptop with AMD gpu in it, mantle XD
nahtnam
Legendary

nahtnam.com

View Profile WWW
December 16, 2013, 02:26:56 AM

- snip -

That they do, but people eat them up.

Thats what makes apple go up. Then they sue other companies which stops them from advancing.

nahtnam
Legendary

nahtnam.com

View Profile WWW
December 16, 2013, 02:27:22 AM

I like what he said, nvidia is stupid not to make drivers for linux. Wish there are more laptop with AMD gpu in it, mantle XD

You can use wine for photoshop.

lif3

View Profile
December 16, 2013, 02:30:56 AM

isn't only photoshop cs3 or 4 is support?
nahtnam
Legendary

nahtnam.com

View Profile WWW
December 16, 2013, 02:32:39 AM

Huh Wine is an application that runs windows application regardless of what version it is.

lif3

View Profile
December 16, 2013, 02:35:55 AM

Huh Wine is an application that runs windows application regardless of what version it is.

...then I'll give it a try later
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: