Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 01:14:20 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Everyone doing cryptocoins should be using Linux as OS  (Read 5276 times)
raskolnikovx (OP)

Activity: 186
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 10:41:41 AM

When you check out, there are not a lot of people trusting Windows with valued data. If you have a company and want to handle data you will most likely go with some kind of Unix based server. Banks, for instance, wont use Windows servers to handle customers money and transactions.

I dont know about you, but I would like to go to bed knowing I am using a robust operating system to handle my Bitcoins. Nowadays you can end up having a lot of money on cryptocoins and (even if you got them really cheap) its time to start protecting them the same way you protect your money.

So maybe its time to download Ubuntu or Debian.
If you dont want to change your Windows life get an dedicated computer for Bitcoins, install some Linux flavor on it and use your online wallets and exchanges from there.

Remember that, with Bitcoin, you are your Bank!
cunixion

Activity: 48
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 09:52:41 PM

Also protect your Harddisk as if it was real money.
oyeTorry

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2013, 10:02:07 PM

I always wondered how Ubuntu can be secure when it doesnt have regular updates, just new major versions

raskolnikovx (OP)

Activity: 186

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 11:55:25 PM

I always wondered how Ubuntu can be secure when it doesnt have regular updates, just new major versions

Well, Linux upgrades versions more often than Windows and you can jump between versions
without loosing your applications and data. You just upgrade and keep using your OS as you
like it but with newer stuff. Linux have updates, in fact it naggs you from time to time to run updates.

deepceleron
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1032

View Profile WWW
December 12, 2013, 12:07:08 AM

Apparently you haven't run Ubuntu, packages are updated regularly, sometimes several times a week.

You can also do stupid things in Linux. I have seen several users that think they have to sudo any program, don't understand file permissions, and are prime targets for a trojan horse. The word "rootkit" comes from the Unix world, and the super user root.

If you have Bitcoin on your computer, much better advice is to do all your web browsing in a virtual machine, such as virtualbox + whatever OS you like + a non-IE non-chrome web browser, so that even when you get pwnd, the hack can't get out of the sandbox.

without loosing...
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=365194
nahtnam
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

nahtnam.com

View Profile WWW
December 12, 2013, 12:15:04 AM

Not only that, but sometimes people hide hacks in new alt coins. Linux can save you from that (most of the time).

Xenoph0bia

Activity: 966
Merit: 501

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 12:19:51 AM

Not only that, but sometimes people hide hacks in new alt coins. Linux can save you from that (most of the time).

This Im worried as well, this is why I dont install any of the alt coin client
oyeTorry

Activity: 770

View Profile WWW
December 12, 2013, 12:37:43 AM

Apparently you haven't run Ubuntu, packages are updated regularly, sometimes several times a week.

Actually I just boot live Ubuntu CD without Hard disk to access exchange + blockchain.info wallet. So no updates are done. Is it secure to do it this way ?

caminilegroup

Activity: 42

View Profile WWW
December 12, 2013, 12:46:38 AM

When you check out, there are not a lot of people trusting Windows with valued data. If you have a company and want to handle data you will most likely go with some kind of Unix based server. Banks, for instance, wont use Windows servers to handle customers money and transactions.

I dont know about you, but I would like to go to bed knowing I am using a robust operating system to handle my Bitcoins. Nowadays you can end up having a lot of money on cryptocoins and (even if you got them really cheap) its time to start protecting them the same way you protect your money.

If you dont want to change your Windows life get an dedicated computer for Bitcoins, install some Linux flavor on it and use your online wallets and exchanges from there.

Majority of the ATM's run windows embedded, the software on the terminals in the majority of banks is Windows, and I hate to break it to you, but windows server is used as the backend too.

In the US you will find the government ie. DOD uses microsoft, windows and server, most major corporations use windows and server for simplicity.

We live in a time where simplicity is everything and that is where good 'ole Bill Gates rules, he created a software and a monopoly to go with it.

Yes you can accomplish the same thing with linux, I have setup a full windows domain compatible linux server and showed how it was cost efficient to the higher ups, in the end we still went with microsoft because in there eyes, windows has a reputation.
nahtnam
Legendary

nahtnam.com

View Profile WWW
December 12, 2013, 12:57:21 AM

With ubuntu you should be fine. If its a popular coin then I dont even try to verify, but if its new put the qt on a virtual box.

vendetahome

Activity: 658

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 01:01:23 AM

With ubuntu you should be fine. If its a popular coin then I dont even try to verify, but if its new put the qt on a virtual box.

Windows have virtual box as well, and it is free
nahtnam
Legendary

nahtnam.com

View Profile WWW
December 12, 2013, 05:53:34 AM

Windows have virtual box as well, and it is free

Yes. You could do that as well. What the op means is to not use vm but just linux.

nahtnam
Legendary

nahtnam.com

View Profile WWW
December 13, 2013, 12:40:13 AM

Even there are security loop holes with linux, it is the same with windows.

I do not see any major difference between these two.

However, linux systems perform well than its windows counterpart.

Security holes in linux can be fixed by anyone who knows it exists, but it cant be in windows. Thats what makes linux superior.

jones31

Activity: 28

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 12:47:01 AM

I stopped at this point.
The last ATM  I saw from the back had a nice windows logo on it's screen.
Also the people in the bank are using computers running windows.

The largest corporation I saw using only Linux was Jurassic Park Inc.
caminilegroup

View Profile WWW
December 13, 2013, 12:50:57 AM

Security holes in linux can be fixed by anyone who knows it exists, but it cant be in windows. Thats what makes linux superior.

I would call linux superior. The fact that the it is open source can cause it's weakness also.

Vulnerabilities have to be discovered with Windows and OS X, with Linux one just has to look through the source of the latest release and find the vulnerability and exploit it until it is patched.

Each OS has it's place, each has it strengths and weaknesses, not one is superior to the other.

I enjoy Linux, have been using it since the early days of Red Hat before X11 was even part of the main installation. I was a command line junky back then, but I was also wearing the wrong color fedora too. (Geeks will understand)

Now I use Mac OS X and I like it because of it's unix backend, and I have my Windows in VM's for application specific stuff, mainly my Motorola programing software.

I would run either Fedora or Ubuntu on my MacBook Pro if it wasn't for the wife and her damn netflix (Linux guys/gals knows this headache) and our iPhones (iTunes)

masyveonk

Activity: 346

https://bmy.guide

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 12:54:42 AM

I agree, Microsoft is doing good work and publishing security patches regularly. You pay for it and many programmers working on windows security

caminilegroup

View Profile WWW
December 13, 2013, 01:05:41 AM

I stopped at this point.

I actually lol's at the Jurassic Park reference.
Kenshin

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 01:08:07 AM

You forgot to add that, the patch are quick to be release than Windows, because it is open source.
caminilegroup

View Profile WWW
December 13, 2013, 01:10:26 AM

You forgot to add that, the patch are quick to be release than Windows, because it is open source.

They can be, but it also depends on what distro you are using. If you are using ubuntu you will get faster patches then say slackware, or debian its self. Patches for major releases still have to be approved before pushing them out for any os.
jones31

Activity: 28

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 01:12:52 AM

I stopped at this point.

I actually lol's at the Jurassic Park reference.

Actually , when I saw that girl playing monopoly on a "UNIX" system , that was the moment I press the stop button.
Enough BS was enough.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: