Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 03:27:05 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The propaganda of artificial intelligence  (Read 4154 times)
madmadmax (OP)

Activity: 740
Merit: 501

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 12:33:55 PM

It now appears that Facebook has joined Google in the race of AI, am I the only one who is tired of all the psuedo-intellectuals nerdgasming in interviews with their wild imagination which doesn't have any basis in reality?

The real headlines should read "Facebook has joined Google in the race of propaganda" because that's what it is, a non biological computer never has and never will achieve an intelligence higher of a cockroach, let alone of a human being capable of reason and thought, it reminds me of Apple and their "revolutionary technologies" as well as of the sheer ignorance of the crowd as they applaud a robot that has been scripted to perform multiple sequence of moves by a bunch of chinese liars.

Do you believe in a future predicted by sci-fi? Do you believe that one day you could philosophize with a robot?

▄▄▄▄▄               ▄▄▄▄▄
   ▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄        ▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
 ▄██▀        ▀██▄    ▄██▀         ▀█▄
██▀            ▀██▄  ▀▀             ██
██               ▀██        ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██
██                ▀██▄      ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
 ██▄          ▄██   ▀██▄          ▄▄▄
  ▀██▄      ▄██▀      ▀██▄▄     ▄██▀
    ▀▀██████▀▀          ▀▀██████▀▀

Unchained Smart Contracts
Decentralized Oracle
Infinitly Scalable
Blockchain Technology
Turing-Complete
State-Channels

▄████▄▄    ▄
██             ████████████▀
████▄         █████████████▀
▀████████▄▄   █████████████
▄▄█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
  ▀██████████████████████
   █████████████████████
    ▀█████████████████▀
      ▄█████████████▀
▄▄███████████████▀
   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄██▄
     ▄      ▐████   ▄▄
   █████     ██████████
    █████████████████▀
 ▄████████████▀████▌
██████████     ▀████    
 ▀▀   █████     ██████████
      ▀████▌▄████████████▀
    ▄▄▄███████████████▌
   ██████████▀    ▐████
    ▀▀▀  ████▌     ▀▀▀
         ▀███▀
f

Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
ajax3592

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

Crypto News & Tutorials - Coinramble.com

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 12:42:08 PM

Don't think there would ever be a time when you can have a intellectual conversation with a ROBOT!
Nervous System of our brain is far too complicated to be artificially recreated. Organs are a different subject, organs can't "think"

If we do reach a point when robot can "think" to the level of humans expect mass death/bombing/doomsday.

Greed is more in today's world, love is left behind.

Capitalists may wire the robots to kill human that comes in their way of getting wealth. "Robots" don't give me positive vibes always negative.

Crypto news/tutorials >>CoinRamble<<                            >>Netcodepool<<                >>My graphics<<
wumpus

Activity: 812
Merit: 1022

No Maps for These Territories

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 12:45:35 PM

It is important to distinguish between narrow AI and general AI.

Narrow AI is very realistic. Pattern recognition, data mining, AI in games, trading bots, and so on. Computers can beat humans hand-down in narrowly defined cognitive tasks. Autonomous drones and self driving cars are no longer science fiction.

General AI on the other hand is not much closer than it was in the 60's. Computers are not creative, do not perform ground-breaking science or philosophy, and do not develop a consciousness. They may get there one day, as there is no physical reason why it would not be possible, but this is far future sci-fi.

However, what is defined as "AI" tends to shift over time. Back in the 60's, a computer playing world-level Chess would be defined as AI, on-par with a human. But in time we discovered that there is much more to it than playing games effectively.

Bitcoin Core developer [PGP] Warning: For most, coin loss is a larger risk than coin theft. A disk can die any time. Regularly back up your wallet through FileBackup Wallet to an external storage or the (encrypted!) cloud. Use a separate offline wallet for storing larger amounts.
bitfreak!
Legendary

Activity: 1536
Merit: 1000

electronic [r]evolution

View Profile WWW
December 10, 2013, 01:13:29 PM
Last edit: December 10, 2013, 01:32:05 PM by bitfreak!

Do you believe that one day you could philosophize with a robot?
This is one of the most impressive conversational robots I've ever seen:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIWWLg4wLEY

Hanson Robotics seem to be leading the way in this area of technology.

XCN: CYsvPpb2YuyAib5ay9GJXU8j3nwohbttTz | BTC: 18MWPVJA9mFLPFT3zht5twuNQmZBDzHoWF
Cryptonite - 1st mini-blockchain altcoin | BitShop - digital shop script
Web Developer - PHP, SQL, JS, AJAX, JSON, XML, RSS, HTML, CSS
ajax3592

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

Crypto News & Tutorials - Coinramble.com

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 01:30:25 PM

Hanson Robotics seem to leading the way in this area of technology.

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

The duck did I just see??

MAN! Funny but frightening too

I'm already having second thoughts whether will I even be able to live my life to the end without any Robot vs Humans wars.

Crypto news/tutorials >>CoinRamble<<                            >>Netcodepool<<                >>My graphics<<
bitfreak!
Legendary

electronic [r]evolution

View Profile WWW
December 10, 2013, 01:41:46 PM

I'm already having second thoughts whether will I even be able to live my life to the end without any Robot vs Humans wars.
Lol... don't worry, I'm sure we'll get a nice spot in their people zoo if they win the war.

XCN: CYsvPpb2YuyAib5ay9GJXU8j3nwohbttTz | BTC: 18MWPVJA9mFLPFT3zht5twuNQmZBDzHoWF
madmadmax (OP)

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 02:55:25 PM

Hanson Robotics seem to be leading the way in this area of technology.

My point exactly, 99% of the robots conversations have been scripted, he may pick up a word or two occasionally but overall it is nothing more than a piece of plastic with a bunch of fancy prop wires. He cannot understand or implement new concepts, he is only capable of swapping one word for another, in other words he is essentially an illusion of AI rather than an actual AI.

Decentralized Oracle
Infinitly Scalable
Blockchain Technology
Turing-Complete
State-Channels

▄████▄▄    ▄
  ▀██████████████████████
   █████████████████████
    ▀█████████████████▀
      ▄█████████████▀
▄▄███████████████▀
   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄██▄
     ▄      ▐████   ▄▄
   █████     ██████████
    █████████████████▀
 ▄████████████▀████▌
██████████     ▀████    
      ▀████▌▄████████████▀
    ▄▄▄███████████████▌
   ██████████▀    ▐████
    ▀▀▀  ████▌     ▀▀▀
         ▀███▀
f

bitfreak!
Legendary

electronic [r]evolution

View Profile WWW
December 10, 2013, 03:18:28 PM
Last edit: December 10, 2013, 03:37:29 PM by bitfreak!

in other words he is essentially an illusion of AI rather than an actual AI.
The term "AI" doesn't mean it has to be a self-aware consciousness. He is an AI, and a rather good one at that. However, he is not a "strong AI", which is what you are talking about. But that doesn't mean it's impossible to design a machine with strong AI. I think it is possible and if we're lucky we will get to see it within our life time. Your point about having the ability to understand abstract concepts and develop new concepts is right on the money. When we have a machine which doesn't just regurgitate scripted phrases, and instead puts together its own phrases based on internal conceptual models which are dynamically updated by the machine as it learns new information, then we will be on the path to having true strong AI.

Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540

View Profile WWW
December 10, 2013, 03:20:52 PM
Last edit: December 10, 2013, 04:19:39 PM by Lethn

It doesn't matter how smart an A.I is or how stupid it is, in the end they'll never understand paradoxes, so just remember them and you'll be fine.

bitfreak!
Legendary

electronic [r]evolution

View Profile WWW
December 10, 2013, 03:39:44 PM

Man do you have to post such a large image. My browser crashed just loading it.
Or maybe my browser just couldn't handle the paradoxes. Haha...

But in all seriousness, you're still talking about weak AI.
Strong AI wouldn't have a problem with those paradoxes any more than we do.

Lethn
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 10, 2013, 03:46:12 PM

Sorry yeah >_< i just grabbed it off google images lol
bitfreak!
Legendary

electronic [r]evolution

View Profile WWW
December 10, 2013, 03:47:26 PM

Sorry yeah >_< i just grabbed it off google images lol
Well can you please replace that image with a link because it keeps crashing my browser.

Lethn
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 10, 2013, 04:20:05 PM

Fixed Cheesy also even clever A.I can be broken, unless we get reaper style A.I from Mass Effect then we really are screwed.
deisik
Legendary

Activity: 3444
Merit: 1280

English ⬄ Russian Translation Services

View Profile WWW
December 10, 2013, 05:09:51 PM

It now appears that Facebook has joined Google in the race of AI, am I the only one who is tired of all the psuedo-intellectuals nerdgasming in interviews with their wild imagination which doesn't have any basis in reality?

The real headlines should read "Facebook has joined Google in the race of propaganda" because that's what it is, a non biological computer never has and never will achieve an intelligence higher of a cockroach, let alone of a human being capable of reason and thought, it reminds me of Apple and their "revolutionary technologies" as well as of the sheer ignorance of the crowd as they applaud a robot that has been scripted to perform multiple sequence of moves by a bunch of chinese liars.

Do you believe in a future predicted by sci-fi? Do you believe that one day you could philosophize with a robot?

Assume for a moment that we can make artificial neurons that would be functionally identical to natural ones, and then we begin to gradually substitute neurons in brain with them. If consciousness would be preserved, then yes, the answer to your question is positive...

dancupid

Activity: 955
Merit: 1002

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 05:41:59 PM

I'm not sure why the goal of AI is to create human like intelligence.
The point of computing, so far, has been to use computers to do things that we cannot already do.

Why create a computer that is so human that it knows how to talk about last nights tv in a human like way? ('it was ok', said the computer, 'but it was no Breaking Bad')

It seems odd to want to try and teach a computer to do mental arithmetic like a 5 year old when it can just load up Excel and do it trivially.
If it struggled with the math, listening as we told it how to carry the 1, we'd be impressed.

Clearly any AI that is developed for commercial reasons will do things that humans cannot already do - it will not be human.
We will not be able to have a conversation with it, becasue it has no need to care about social hierarchy (which is the only reason we have conversations)
bitfreak!
Legendary

electronic [r]evolution

View Profile WWW
December 10, 2013, 06:04:18 PM

I would say that the ultimate goal is to create a self aware thinking machine, not necessarily something that behaves exactly like a human. The benefit of having that type of sentience in a machine is obvious... it could solve complex and abstract problems that only us humans can solve right now. And there are many such problems. The trouble is, at the point where the machine becomes self aware, it can simply refuse to do what you ask of it.

madmadmax (OP)

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 06:08:03 PM

in other words he is essentially an illusion of AI rather than an actual AI.
The term "AI" doesn't mean it has to be a self-aware consciousness. He is an AI, and a rather good one at that. However, he is not a "strong AI", which is what you are talking about. But that doesn't mean it's impossible to design a machine with strong AI. I think it is possible and if we're lucky we will get to see it within our life time. Your point about having the ability to understand abstract concepts and develop new concepts is right on the money. When we have a machine which doesn't just regurgitate scripted phrases, and instead puts together its own phrases based on internal conceptual models which are dynamically updated by the machine as it learns new information, then we will be on the path to having true strong AI.

The term "Artificial intelligence" contains the word "intelligence" which is perhaps not the best word to use to describe that machine then.

Assume for a moment that we can make artificial neurons that would be functionally identical to natural ones, and then we begin to gradually substitute neurons in brain with them. If consciousness would be preserved, then yes, the answer to your question is positive...

It would be hard enough to simulate a single neuron, let alone billions of them on the same scale is impossible (and illogical).

Decentralized Oracle
Infinitly Scalable
Blockchain Technology
Turing-Complete
State-Channels

▄████▄▄    ▄
  ▀██████████████████████
   █████████████████████
    ▀█████████████████▀
      ▄█████████████▀
▄▄███████████████▀
   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄██▄
     ▄      ▐████   ▄▄
   █████     ██████████
    █████████████████▀
 ▄████████████▀████▌
██████████     ▀████    
      ▀████▌▄████████████▀
    ▄▄▄███████████████▌
   ██████████▀    ▐████
    ▀▀▀  ████▌     ▀▀▀
         ▀███▀
f

dancupid

Activity: 955
Merit: 1002

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 06:13:28 PM

It would be hard enough to emulate a single neuron, let alone billions of them on the same scale is impossible (and illogical).

It's not hard - cockroaches do it all the time.
Nature can do it.
My parents did it when they produced me - so it's technically possible to create neurons.
No need to emulate them - just make them
deisik
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 10, 2013, 06:14:04 PM

The point of computing, so far, has been to use computers to do things that we cannot already do.

Why create a computer that is so human that it knows how to talk about last nights tv in a human like way? ('it was ok', said the computer, 'but it was no Breaking Bad')

The answer to this question is pretty obvious. Because we don't know any other intelligence, and don't even know whether another form of intelligence alien to ours is ever possible at all. No one actually wants to create a computer that can only talk about last show in a human like way...

deisik
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 10, 2013, 06:17:00 PM

It would be hard enough to simulate a single neuron, let alone billions of them on the same scale is impossible (and illogical).

I'm not talking about simulation, you seem to have entirely missed my point. I speak about artificial neurons that would be functionally identical to our own. Actually, we don't even need to place them physically into the brain...

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: