Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 04:24:38 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [PRE-ANN][ATO] ATOM - Born from Molecules and Dropping 12/21 @ Midnight EST  (Read 22958 times)
TBCM

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2013, 12:34:23 AM
Last edit: December 19, 2013, 12:45:22 AM by TBCM

so why the fork?

Because after the Molecule fork the dev lost his ~5,5% premine. With Atom he'll be able to keep it.

So MOL=> fair  coin now  Grin

Why would a fork cause the premine to disappear.

Any coins held prior to a fork should be present on both paths. The differences in two chains that forked only involve transactions that happened after the fork.

OK, it wasn't a fork technically. The blockchain restarted at block 1 for those who used the client with the fixed difficulty algo.

Edit: I'm thinking now that it could have been an unexpected and succesful 51% attack on the coin from the users who downloaded the fixed client, deleted the old blockchain and began mining from the first block.

moleculecoin (OP)

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

Love all coins!

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2013, 12:52:12 AM

The Molecule premine did not have to disappear.  I chose to go with it and let the new chain evolve on its own, to quell the controversy and just get it stabilized as there was and continues to be a ton of interest in the coin.  The Molecule binaries have had over 3500 downloads now, so a fair amount of interest for an alt coin.  I think, in the end, this is best for Molecule and it will grow into a solid coin.

The ATOM coin is coming, I have been working on the codebase.  I learned a lot from the Molecule launch and have gone back and incorporated a lot of fixes and changes in ATOM.  But I am also taking my time and not rushing it out the door, so we don't have a repeat of the Molecule fiasco.  I am planning to release ATOM this weekend probably Saturday night.  One of the things I am working on is better tutorial info and docs as it seems with Molecule we had a ton of people "new" to coins jump on board and I expect ATOM to attract even more new folks.  IMO getting more people interested in cryptos is a good thing.

I really wasn't expecting there to be such a massive amount of interest :-)  Its great, and feels good.  I thought I would be fighting a long uphill battle to gain interest in the coin.  I pushed Molecule out sooner than I probably should have, because I thought I would have time to catch up on the infrastructure afterwards.  With ATOM I want to be ready before releasing the binaries.

I also have another longer term coin project that won't be ready until February/March timeframe, which is a reimplementation of the Bitcoin protocol as opposed to a fork of the existing Bitcoin codebase, with some enhancements, a cool client UI and a new PoW algorithm.

Molecule MOL Developer Donation Address:  K3LhXmZeougH7XUr1ppkKd15A53o6iBgmJ
moleculecoin (OP)

Love all coins!

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2013, 01:03:46 AM

Edit: I'm thinking now that it could have been an unexpected and succesful 51% attack on the coin from the users who downloaded the fixed client, deleted the old blockchain and began mining from the first block.
This is exactly what happened.  It could have been corrected - but at that point, why bother?  It provided a convenient way out from under the "premine" controversy and was extremely fair.

Snard

Activity: 140

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 01:29:56 AM

Will atom use the balances from the prefork or starting from scratch?
Nanolucas

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2013, 01:35:34 AM

I really don't understand why Atom needs to exist when Molecule is doing well. Why not just focus on that instead?
BThunderW

Activity: 20
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 01:53:50 AM

So mining Molecule is worthless then? Is the Molecule supposed to live alongside Atom, or it'll be merged into Atom? What's the story?
moleculecoin (OP)

Love all coins!

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2013, 02:03:36 AM

Judging by the amount of mining going on with Molecule I'd say it is far from worthless.  Molecule and Atom will live on side by side as two separate, independent coins.

Snard

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 02:28:38 AM

Judging by the amount of mining going on with Molecule I'd say it is far from worthless.  Molecule and Atom will live on side by side as two separate, independent coins.

Will Atom use the prefork balances? How do you plan to handle that or are you starting from scratch.
moleculecoin (OP)

Love all coins!

View Profile WWW
December 20, 2013, 06:03:44 AM

Will Atom use the prefork balances? How do you plan to handle that or are you starting from scratch.
Starting from scratch, as I made some changes to the coin parameters to differentiate it and make it more competitive.

Atom will be dropped Dec 21 @ 12 am.

achillez

Activity: 874
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 20, 2013, 06:17:58 AM

Starting from scratch, as I made some changes to the coin parameters to differentiate it and make it more competitive.

Atom will be dropped Dec 21 @ 12 am.

CST?
moleculecoin (OP)

Love all coins!

View Profile WWW
December 20, 2013, 06:22:02 AM

12 am EST.  Saturday night after I get home from Xmas shopping ;-)

perryparanoid

Activity: 224

View Profile
December 20, 2013, 08:40:13 AM

Almost seen the title thread as: [PRE-ANN][ATO] ATOM - Born from Molecules and Dropping(s) 12/21 @ Midnight EST

best of luck to this coin
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
December 20, 2013, 08:47:12 AM

fork of a fork

inforkception  Shocked
supersuber

Activity: 118
Merit: 104

Counterparty

View Profile
December 20, 2013, 09:12:53 AM

cec

MUBBLE86

Activity: 126

View Profile
December 20, 2013, 09:46:59 AM

Only CPU right ?

RoooooR
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

GigTricks.io | A CRYPTO ECOSYSTEM FOR ON-DEMAND EC

View Profile
December 20, 2013, 10:11:27 AM

Only CPU right ?
It must be. Based on Quark.

█ █ █ █ █
         ██           ██
       ██     █ █ █ █   ██
     ██    ██        ██
   ██   ██               
  ██   ██     ████████                  ██████████
            ███          ██   █████████     ██      ██████  ██   ███████  ██    ███   ███████
 ██   ██    ███              ██      ███    ██      ██          ███       ██   ███  ██
 ██   ██    ███  ██████  ██  ██      ███    ██      ██      ██  ███       ██  ███   ██
            ███      ██  ██  ██      ███    ██      ██      ██  ███       ██████     ███████
 ██   ██    ███      ██  ██  ██      ███    ██      ██      ██  ███       ██  ██           ██
             ██      ██  ██  ██      ███    ██      ██      ██  ███       ██   ███         ██
 ██   ██      ███████    ██   █████████     ██      ██      ██   ███████  ██    ███  ███████
  ██   ██                           ███
   ██    ██          ██            ███
     ██    ██ █ █ █ █   ██
       ██             ██
          █ █ █ █ █ █

Telegram     Facebook     Twitter     Medium
-------------------------------------------------------------------
.WEBSITE. |█| .WHITEPAPER.

......BOUNTY......
-----------------------------------
..ANN THREAD..
olinnebit

Activity: 70

View Profile
December 20, 2013, 11:04:11 AM

will the Molecules mined on the first fork be available as atoms? I deleted that wallet and it held 9k Tongue

Sharky444

Activity: 724
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 20, 2013, 11:19:18 AM

So it's Saturday 6 AM CET? A bad time for a release.

Radix - just imagine
tadakaluri

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
December 20, 2013, 11:33:57 AM

Watching.......
Snard

View Profile
December 20, 2013, 03:09:00 PM

Why would anyone release a coin at 12am EST.  That is a sure way to eliminate a huge percentage of people in EST.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: