Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 06:47:21 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 [367] 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] Catcoin - Scrypt meow!  (Read 470644 times)
MadMatt

Activity: 63
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 09:20:49 PM

Someone make a poll at strawpoll.me of different options. This will give a relative idea of what people want to do.

Reputation Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=433534.0
LeaseRig.net Bot Name: MinerMatt Running @ ~3.54Mh/s
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
hozer

Activity: 271
Merit: 254

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2014, 09:24:11 PM

If even you think "it would not look good for anyone", then why are you insisting on playing this 'inside baseball'?  If you are operating sub rosa and you know it 'would not look good', then don't fucking do it!

What do you want me to do? First it's "NO DON'T LET HIM TALK TO AN EXCHANGE", then its "NO HES PLAYING INSIDE BASEBALL"

Please join irc.freenode.net #catcoin-dev and #catcoin-test and we can play with an open book.
skillface

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 09:27:41 PM
Last edit: January 12, 2014, 09:38:10 PM by skillface

Hmm do you actually need mIRC to use irc.freenode.net, or is there a page you can use for that?

I mean I've used mIRC before and all, but that was.. nearly 10 years ago.

EDIT: Nevermind, found a webchat page for it. May just use mIRC anyway.
etblvu1

Activity: 213

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 09:28:01 PM

I'm also doing a little bit of psychological warfare with coinhoppers, (AKA FUD), in the hopes they stay the heck away for fear that I'll fork the chain and erase their coins, and from some of the over-the-top responses I've see, it's working. The real test is what happens in 3 blocks when the difficulty drops.

At block 20999, my testnet/testfork will find out what actually happens to the dynamics of adjusting every block, and if it works right, we can do a proper release next week.

I respectfully suggest that FUD will not work on coin hoppers, because they promptly dump the coins on the markets as soon as they receive them, and convert to BTC. The FUD is affecting the coin credibility and community more than coin hoppers, and this in turn can lead to de-listing from exchanges. Let's be more deliberative and not so hasty - we may find a solution pretty quickly if we calm down for a bit and think about what we want and need to do.

Etblvu1
kalus

Activity: 420
Merit: 263

let's make a deal.

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 09:28:24 PM

If even you think "it would not look good for anyone", then why are you insisting on playing this 'inside baseball'?  If you are operating sub rosa and you know it 'would not look good', then don't fucking do it!

What do you want me to do? First it's "NO DON'T LET HIM TALK TO AN EXCHANGE", then its "NO HES PLAYING INSIDE BASEBALL"

If you feel that talking to an exchange "would not look good for anyone", then stop what you're doing.  you know you could potentially unbalance the currency by forking it, so why do it until we have a consensus on how to move forward?

I never said "don't let him talk to an exchange"; that's a strawman and you can have fun with him. I am going even simpler than that:  get community consensus before you release a fork unilaterally!

DC2ngEGbd1ZUKyj8aSzrP1W5TXs5WmPuiR wow need noms
loader140

Activity: 112

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 09:31:33 PM

What are you, a fucking profit-drive coinhopper?

You are going to get yourself reported to various government agencies saying stupid shit like that.

Go run 'catcoind --testnet' and tell me what happens. I can easily pull the fork if some of you people will actually commit to TESTING changes instead of screaming like coinhoppers who are going to get eaten.

Join #catcoin-dev or #catcoin-test on irc, and help us fix the damn problem.

I feel like the damn guy standing in front of the tank in Tienanmen Square, wondering if some internet idiot is going to put a hit out on me because I am taking a stand on important principles.

No I am not a coin hopper it is money I have actually invested, and I am saying what COULD happen, I would not wish that up on any one but if people have put in hundreds of thousand if not millions you can see why they would be that PISSED if it died and you caused it.

And I was going off what others had said about you contacting exchanges and doing it anyway without any testing and that, so sorry about the early post but I was just saying be careful not to kill the coin and now I know you are listening and not blanking the community I will begin helping, at the start it was like you were just doing it and not giving a S@&t about others, but now I know you are taking it seriously I will help and won't argue any more. Sorry again.
hozer

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2014, 09:34:51 PM

If you feel that talking to an exchange "would not look good for anyone", then stop what you're doing.  you know you could potentially unbalance the currency by forking it, so why do it until we have a consensus on how to move forward?

I never said "don't let him talk to an exchange"; that's a strawman and you can have fun with him. I am going even simpler than that:  get community consensus before you release a fork unilaterally!

Alright. Can you please join #catcoin-test and #catcoin-dev in irc.freenode.net and help us figure out how to get a good team of testers for new releases? There's probably another hour or two before we get 51%'ed by coinhoppers again.
hozer

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2014, 09:37:24 PM

No I am not a coin hopper it is money I have actually invested, and I am saying what COULD happen, I would not wish that up on any one but if people have put in hundreds of thousand if not millions you can see why they would be that PISSED if it died and you caused it.

And I was going off what others had said about you contacting exchanges and doing it anyway without any testing and that, so sorry about the early post but I was just saying be careful not to kill the coin and now I know you are listening and not blanking the community I will begin helping, at the start it was like you were just doing it and not giving a S@&t about others, but now I know you are taking it seriously I will help and won't argue any more. Sorry again.

THANK YOU.. again, I'm going to be a b0rk3n record here, join #catcoin-dev and #catcoin-test on irc.freenode.net. I expect coinhoppers in an hour or two.

And to you and everyone else, I want to apologize for being a bit of an asshole.
hozer

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2014, 10:01:58 PM

1. We need to hear suggestions and develop those ideas into pseudo-code to see if they're viable
2. We need to simulate the suggestions in a simulator and see if they exhibit acceptable behavior, or at the very least the least destructive behavior.
3. We need to actually code the proposed fix  
4. We need to actually test the code somehow to ensure it works and we need miners to commit to losing a small ammount of hash for a few hours in order to confirm this will actually fix the problem this time.
5. We need to verify the code as a community and vote that this is the method we wish to take going forward.
6. We need to announce the fork to the community and get some buzz going
7. We need to notify the exchanges and pools of the incoming fork
8. We need to execute the fork and monitor it to prevent 51% attacks and mitigate them if they happen. This may include a large % of people switching to p2pool for 48 hours to establish the new fork as correct.

We are somewhere between steps 4 and 5 for code that retargets every block over the last 36 block average. We can test it with between 1 and 5 Mhash with a live fork, and as long as the main fork has at least 100Mhash there should be near zero possibility of any problems, and if there IS a problem that means we need to find it now, before someone else does and exploits it in secret.

I'm going to go make a github version so it should be easier to compare.
SlimePuppy

Activity: 655
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 10:02:40 PM

I feel like the damn guy standing in front of the tank in Tienanmen Square, wondering if some internet idiot is going to put a hit out on me because I am taking a stand on important principles.
You are free to FEEL as you wish.  What you're actually accomplishing, on the other hand, is essentially a terrorist act.  Let THAT sink in a bit...
kuroman

Activity: 588
Merit: 501

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 10:03:26 PM
Last edit: January 13, 2014, 04:58:17 AM by kuroman

#catcoin is the irc  channel we should use not some pseudo random #catcoin-whatever created by someone else. I don't like IRC and didn't use it in more than a decade but If it is necessary I'll join.

Also I prefere that this thread be used as a reference, it's a mean of communication on it self, slow I give you that but it's a good way to have traceability and thus if there is something important to discuss that require instant messaging, I'm up to it and have no problem with that and it would be nice to join a public chat channel, but lets be clear about, a rushed fork is out of the question and there is nothing to discuss there and this not my opinion but the majority that expressed their opinion here, so lets give that a rest, if you guys want to discuss a possible fork and what it should have as parametre and what are the pros and cons of each I'm open to that.

We are somewhere between steps 4 and 5 for code that retargets every block over the last 36 block average. We can test it with between 1 and 5 Mhash with a live fork, and as long as the main fork has at least 100Mhash there should be near zero possibility of any problems, and if there IS a problem that means we need to find it now, before someone else does and exploits it in secret.

Are you still going with this bullshit, You are on your own at step 4 and 5, the majority that expressed their opinion said NO.
Maverickthenoob

Activity: 70

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2014, 10:08:49 PM

#catcoin is the irc the channel we should have not some pseudo random #catcoin-whatever created by someone else. I don't like Irc and didn't use it in more than a decade.
Also I prefere that this thread be used as a reference, it's a mean of communication on it self, if there is something important to discuss that require instant messaging then it would be nice to join a chat channel, but lets be clear about, a rushed fork is out of the question and there is nothing to discuss there and this not my opinion but the majority that expressed their opinion here, so lets give that a rest, if you guys want to discuss a possible fork and what it should have as parametre and what are the pros and cons of each I'm open to that.

No Kuro, the two channels exist exclusively for a reason. It's actually not #catcoin that is the main channel, it is ##catcoin, and has been since launch. Secondly, #catcoin-dev allows us a place to bash our heads together without boring people who aren't interested to death. It is not meant to obscure anything. neither of the channels are locked and they are both open to anyone at any time. #catcoin-dev was the channel that was made when the board was created. We want to add more people to that. There is nothing nefarious going on in there at all, just discussion on how to fix this coin.

#catcoin is the irc the channel we should have not some pseudo random #catcoin-whatever created by someone else. I don't like Irc and didn't use it in more than a decade.

Also I prefere that this thread be used as a reference, it's a mean of communication on it self, if there is something important to discuss that require instant messaging then it would be nice to join a chat channel, but lets be clear about, a rushed fork is out of the question and there is nothing to discuss there and this not my opinion but the majority that expressed their opinion here, so lets give that a rest, if you guys want to discuss a possible fork and what it should have as parametre and what are the pros and cons of each I'm open to that.

Are you still going with this bullshit, You are on your own at step 4 and 5, the majority that expressed their opinion said NO.

Did you even read what he wrote? At all? He built the code for me for a a 1 block retarget, 36 block average that I have been talking about for like four days. That code specifically isn't some savage terrorist attack on our coin, it is what I personally asked him to create so we could test it. If you read back over the past ten pages you'll see I suggested this solution many many times. Nobody has yet said no at all to 1 block 36 average yet, that I've seen, because we're still simulating it. But the code is built for testing when we get there. Hozer's fork is completely seperate from that. Chill out. Lets work together, I think hozer has made it reasonably clear he isn't the enemy and isn't actually going to contact any exchanges or try to 51% the coin.

My personal vote so far is still the 1 block 36 average method, HOWEVER, etbluv1 has just made a reasonable suggestion in IRC that we're going to need to sim out. He already posted it here a few posts up.

Board of Directors - Catcoin
Personal: CAT: 9pndWw3qmPiWm2jQRw5pRAVEfJN4LzaD1f  BTC: 1Jo1394CraTgC8bKFzDdEMdks2DroB6VBe
CAT Dev Donation CAT: 9gZpz58KzYr1WKBN8DfPkZPAEt5wfZ4UKT BTC: 1MeRkKfRRfC86BQWEx5gsq68bDHe7dgs3o
TheLotusPod

Activity: 138

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 10:09:59 PM

Someone make a poll at strawpoll.me of different options. This will give a relative idea of what people want to do.

+1
mavis369

Activity: 140

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2014, 10:51:09 PM

Here is a Chinese site here all about Catcoin, it seems they may be opening a store soon or something that accepts catcoins. Also there is a message box at the bottom of the page where you can get intouch with them. Worth a look?

http://catcoin.cn/zh-cn/index.html

Trade Key 688f99809268d2d14f2d6309ad5d25e493afc913
skillface

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 10:56:43 PM

Here is a Chinese site here all about Catcoin, it seems they may be opening a store soon or something that accepts catcoins. Also there is a message box at the bottom of the page where you can get intouch with them. Worth a look?

Uh.. looks more like a page about another 'Catcoin' made by Chinese devs, according to Google Translate. If I'm right, it predates our Catcoin by around 8 months.

The hell?
mavis369

Activity: 140

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2014, 11:00:48 PM

Uh.. looks more like a page about another 'Catcoin' made by Chinese devs, according to Google Translate. If I'm right, it predates our Catcoin by around 8 months.

The hell?

Oh sorry, did not know.

Trade Key 688f99809268d2d14f2d6309ad5d25e493afc913
skillface

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 11:06:47 PM

The hell?

Oh sorry, did not know.

I don't know whether to laugh at this or worry.

Leaning towards laughing.
hozer

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2014, 11:10:47 PM

Quote from: hozer

So go click the 'fork' button on github ( https://github.com/tmagik/catcoin/fork ) , and change the following line to whatever number the community comes to a consensus on:

Code:
src/main.cpp:1115 int fork2Block = 20999; // Um yeah, make this a little more general - hozer
hozer

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2014, 11:15:03 PM

You are free to FEEL as you wish.  What you're actually accomplishing, on the other hand, is essentially a terrorist act.  Let THAT sink in a bit...

Apparently code is speech, and speech is terrorism. Got any better ideas for what number should go in https://github.com/tmagik/catcoin/commit/c98f9f3267fbe28b36ed7a2130e8854c379fc0e7

Code:
int fork2Block = 20999; // Um yeah, make this a little more general - hozer

Frickin comment on github, launch your own counter-terrorist patch, or just post a poll on what that number should be.
SlimePuppy

Activity: 655
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 11:16:12 PM
Last edit: January 14, 2014, 10:28:22 PM by SlimePuppy

Quote from: hozer

So go click the 'fork' button on github ( https://github.com/tmagik/catcoin/fork ) , and change the following line to whatever number the community comes to a consensus on:

Code:
src/main.cpp:1115 int fork2Block = 20999; // Um yeah, make this a little more general - hozer

Are you deaf?  What part of STOP THE BS and NO FORK and LEAVE THE DAMN CAT ALONE are you just not capable of understanding, Hozer?  Seriously!  ENOUGH!

The answer is NO NUMBER!

Maybe you need pictures:
<snip>

Ist es klar?
Pages: « 1 ... 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 [367] 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 »
  Print  

Jump to: