Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 11:40:35 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: We have seen Dogecoin before... It's name is Yahoo  (Read 8525 times)
MisO69
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1005

My mule don't like people laughing

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 02:41:27 PM

I never thought that DOGE was going this far. Who knows where people will take it. It may be the next Litecoin. I mean after all, the coins are pretty much the same. The only thing that differentiates them is the amount of hash power on their network, community and their name. Now I'm not saying that DOGE will be worth $25.00 each. I think there is no way in hell. Maybe 1cent each. Then it will be close to the marketcap of LTC.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
reRaise

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 02:45:25 PM

This is no fud, but simple facts that Doge is the worst investment. Every trader and investor needs to read this and take this into account when buying.

http://cryptosource.org/good-buys-and-coins-to-avoid-how-daily-coin-maintenance-costs-should-factor-into-your-investment-decisions/

That is a very silly way to base a coin's potential value, transaction fees handle that cost automatically more transactions higher cost, but more transactions higher coin usage if anything you just point out with it that doge is used more often and by more people than all other coins combined. How is this a bad thing?

Read the article again
That article is just an opinion. It's like me telling you that dinosaurs never existed because I can dig up an article that says so.

How is the fact that the amount of money needed per day to keep the coin at it’s current value an opinion?
ltcifc

Activity: 344
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 02:49:41 PM

Yahoo... Does anyone here remember how Yahoo started? Does anyone remember how it was seen as a joke when it first started because of the name and the concept behind the name (a race of crude nasty people from Gulliver's travels)? It's now known globally as Yahoo inc. And it blasted away some very strong competition in the process. Remember Alta-Vista? Of course, Google stole the lion's share in the end, but Yahoo is still a major player in the portal arena.

It's possible that DogePower will do something that other crypto's can only evangelise about. Large scale anonymous person-to-person transactions. Dogecoin 'looks' like it's on the verge of entering public consciousness. If it does, then people will want to get their hands on some dogecoins. I can more easily see people exchanging items for dogecoins, than I can see them exchanging items for any other coin around now. Just for the fun value. I can see a person exchanging an old phone for some dogecoins (on the spot, face to face - not via a website or other third party). The apps probably don't exist right now, but with a QR code and a mobile phone, all things are possible!

No interaction with an exchange for a USD equivalent. Daily exchange price fluctuations will have just as much effect on the general public as everything else that fluctuates in price does (e.g. fuel prices). This is just a person to person interaction that's completely private based on the value that those 2 individuals place on whatever item or service is to be exchanged.

So anyone mocking the name, origin, or theme of the name Dogecoin needs to remember (or find out) where Yahoo inc came from.

tl;dr? Dogecoin is the new Yahoo

This makes no sense at all. Do you remember many, many other things that started as a joke? No? Well nobody does.
cryptohunter
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1167

MY RED TRUST LEFT BY SCUMBAGS - READ MY SIG

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 02:51:23 PM

This is no fud, but simple facts that Doge is the worst investment. Every trader and investor needs to read this and take this into account when buying.

http://cryptosource.org/good-buys-and-coins-to-avoid-how-daily-coin-maintenance-costs-should-factor-into-your-investment-decisions/

That is a very silly way to base a coin's potential value, transaction fees handle that cost automatically more transactions higher cost, but more transactions higher coin usage if anything you just point out with it that doge is used more often and by more people than all other coins combined. How is this a bad thing?

Read the article again
That article is just an opinion. It's like me telling you that dinosaurs never existed because I can dig up an article that says so.

How is the fact that the amount of money needed per day to keep the coin at it’s current value an opinion?

It is a fact, however it is ALSO A FACT that doge has one of the biggest communities hence a lot more pull to attract new funds.

When the block rewards get chopped a few more times....doge will go up again, you can count on it.  Yeah it just went from 20's to 200's  so that is a pump and is settling back to a reasonable level...however in the future if you think 200 is the top you will be wrong.

TheTribesman (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1019
Merit: 1003

Kobocoin - Mobile Money for Africa

View Profile WWW
January 28, 2014, 02:55:59 PM

Read the article again

It's an opinion that it's not a good investment. Are you saying that it is a fact that Dogecoin is not a good investment? Cos many will disagree with you!

Also, goto the Cryptosource website MENU > COINS > OTHER COINS. Do you see DogeCoin listed there? I think their stance on DogeCoin is very obvious!
Cheesy

TheTribesman (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 28, 2014, 02:58:07 PM

Yahoo... Does anyone here remember how Yahoo started? Does anyone remember how it was seen as a joke when it first started because of the name and the concept behind the name (a race of crude nasty people from Gulliver's travels)? It's now known globally as Yahoo inc. And it blasted away some very strong competition in the process. Remember Alta-Vista? Of course, Google stole the lion's share in the end, but Yahoo is still a major player in the portal arena.

It's possible that DogePower will do something that other crypto's can only evangelise about. Large scale anonymous person-to-person transactions. Dogecoin 'looks' like it's on the verge of entering public consciousness. If it does, then people will want to get their hands on some dogecoins. I can more easily see people exchanging items for dogecoins, than I can see them exchanging items for any other coin around now. Just for the fun value. I can see a person exchanging an old phone for some dogecoins (on the spot, face to face - not via a website or other third party). The apps probably don't exist right now, but with a QR code and a mobile phone, all things are possible!

No interaction with an exchange for a USD equivalent. Daily exchange price fluctuations will have just as much effect on the general public as everything else that fluctuates in price does (e.g. fuel prices). This is just a person to person interaction that's completely private based on the value that those 2 individuals place on whatever item or service is to be exchanged.

So anyone mocking the name, origin, or theme of the name Dogecoin needs to remember (or find out) where Yahoo inc came from.

tl;dr? Dogecoin is the new Yahoo

This makes no sense at all. Do you remember many, many other things that started as a joke? No? Well nobody does.
You really have to break that one down for me dude. I'm having a hard time understanding what you mean.

thimo

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

thimo the dev

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 03:09:55 PM

Read the article again
And the other points out that you need to invest in dying coins...

i can rent this1
Damnsammit

Activity: 406

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 03:23:54 PM

I started believing in Dogecoin a couple of weeks ago when I sold some PCIe risers to someone off of Craigslist.

When I met him he said that he kinda followed Bitcoin but never really got into it.  Then he said he was so pumped about Dogecoin that he just had to go out and buy a mining rig so he could get his hands on some DOGE.  He bought 8 risers from me, and had a car full of equipment... for Dogecoin.  Not Bitcoin or Litecoin, but Dogecoin.

Personally, I still don't get it but it clearly has much wow and such appeal.
I think I get it. There's been a large influx of people in December who think (or know?) that they've kinda missed the bitcoin bus. No point getting excited about bitcoin if you're new. Dogecoin was a chance to be in on the ground level of something that could be big.

And also, there were enough coins to go round for even the smallest of miners. Owning 1,000,000 DOGE is a LOT more exciting than owning 1.59 BTC. That's probably also why kittehcoin and mooncoin are doing so well right about now. People like to have lots! It's not just about the $ value, it's also about feeling good about what you're doing (IMHO).

Right. 

It's kind of like the penny-stock player mentality that it is more exciting to have 1,000,000 shares of SHITQ than 2 shares of AAPL

I might end up buying a small amount of DOGE to hold long, but I'm not a penny-stock player anymore.  Gonna hold onto the big ones and might diversify in some alt-coins, but I think BTC/LTC is diversified enough Cheesy
TheTribesman (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 28, 2014, 03:38:21 PM

it is more exciting to have 1,000,000 shares of SHITQ than 2 shares of AAPL
There's no need for that! You're barred!!

Dogecoin has made lots of money (and other coins) for a lot of people. It's also raised the profile of cryptos in general (and it's not seen as a black market or money laundering vehicle by the public! wink wink). IT DEMANDS RESPECT!
Cheesy

snoogans310

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 03:50:29 PM

notice the people slagging off doge thinking they new about cryptocurrencies arnt saying anything now.  Angry

Ɖ ~ DSNJ49NdZM4KjLHfPSYEGWKRn7wSC4bWqi

LTC ~ LN8e9QVx7es39KmSwtfnwaYYjNdibK3fXc
giveBTCpls

Activity: 322

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 03:52:55 PM

Let's be honest: No one cares about cryptocurrencies beyond Doge in terms of the general, non-nerd public. Thats why Doge will be massive.

Damnsammit

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 03:53:48 PM

it is more exciting to have 1,000,000 shares of SHITQ than 2 shares of AAPL
There's no need for that! You're barred!!

Dogecoin has made lots of money (and other coins) for a lot of people. It's also raised the profile of cryptos in general (and it's not seen as a black market or money laundering vehicle by the public! wink wink). IT DEMANDS RESPECT!
Cheesy

hah!  I was just making up some bullshit ticker, but even the worst stocks make lots of money for a lot of people.   All pump and dumps have winners and losers.  

Dogecoin has obviously done more than most alt-coins as far as bringing in new types of miners and crypto traders/users.  I just can't take it seriously as something that will be viable in the future.  I don't even know how to say the damn name of the coin correctly.  I know it's some hip meme thing that I should be more familiar with, but I'm just an old man (turned 29 last year) who doesn't quite get it.

I still believe it's time will be up soon, but it has already surprised me once!
Damnsammit

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 03:59:09 PM

Let's be honest: No one cares about cryptocurrencies beyond Doge in terms of the general, non-nerd public. Thats why Doge will be massive.

This is what I don't get... why isn't there a Facebook Coin or a Lolcat Coin?  If all you have to do is slap a coin on some popular meme as a recipe for success then why isn't it being replicated many times over? Dogecoin doesn't seem special to me, but I have sold risers to more than a few people who were buying them simply because they were interested in mining the Dogecoin.

One of my friends heard about Dogecoin and then started asking me about Bitcoin since he knew I was borderline obsessed with it...

I dunno.  I guess I will put a biscuit into the doggy and see if it barks.
TheTribesman (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 28, 2014, 04:21:10 PM

This is what I don't get... why isn't there a Facebook Coin or a Lolcat Coin?  If all you have to do is slap a coin on some popular meme as a recipe for success then why isn't it being replicated many times over? Dogecoin doesn't seem special to me, but I have sold risers to more than a few people who were buying them simply because they were interested in mining the Dogecoin.

One of my friends heard about Dogecoin and then started asking me about Bitcoin since he knew I was borderline obsessed with it...

I dunno.  I guess I will put a biscuit into the doggy and see if it barks.
I see it this way:

Early adopters (Pre April 2013) coin of choice = Bitcoin
Relative newcomers (April 2013 - December 2013) coin of choice = Litecoin
New Adopters (Dec 2013 - present) coin of choice = Dogecoin

I don't think any should be seen as greater than any other. In a few months there might be another wave of adopters and they might create their own coin of choice.

Damnsammit

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 04:33:26 PM

I see it this way:

I don't think any should be seen as greater than any other. In a few months there might be another wave of adopters and they might create their own coin of choice.

But what makes Dogecoin special among a sea of clones?  The meme?  That's what I am struggling to understand.

Bitcoin was the first... then Litecoin really gained traction when SHA256 ASICs were developed.  Dogecoin is a clone of Litecoin.  There is nothing special about it in my eyes, and that won't change no matter how much support it gets.  In the end it's just one of many clones, albeit with a much stronger community. 
TheTribesman (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 28, 2014, 04:55:52 PM

I see it this way:

But what makes Dogecoin special among a sea of clones?  The meme?  That's what I am struggling to understand.

Bitcoin was the first... then Litecoin really gained traction when SHA256 ASICs were developed.  Dogecoin is a clone of Litecoin.  There is nothing special about it in my eyes, and that won't change no matter how much support it gets.  In the end it's just one of many clones, albeit with a much stronger community. 
Come on man. A few months ago (before the famous Keiser inspired Litecoin madness) bitcoiners looked at LTC the same way both bitcoiners and litecoiners (and a lot of the supporters of coins established pre-Dec2013) now look at Dogecoin. They called it shit. They spat on it. They tried to poke it's eyes out with buy and sell walls.

I don't hold any Dogecoin myself (I mined 2,000,000 and traded them very early on) but I have great respect for the coin and the impact it's had. I don't understand why people are SO against it. Almost like Doge's existence is a personal attack on their own existence.

mailmansDOG

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 05:03:17 PM

OP reminds me of a youtube self proclaimed persona "the game theorist".

He makes resonable theories about games that no one has ever figured out before.
I'd love to see such a concept with bitcoin related subjects!  Grin Grin

bqxpd

Activity: 82
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 05:11:50 PM

Meme + size of community = hype = massive trading volume compared to other cryptos.

1enUo5AVqwx4LradGPimKJAvV5gzK1Z3g
Damnsammit

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 05:15:43 PM

I don't hold any Dogecoin myself (I mined 2,000,000 and traded them very early on) but I have great respect for the coin and the impact it's had. I don't understand why people are SO against it. Almost like Doge's existence is a personal attack on their own existence.

I'm not against it by any means, I just don't see anything special about it.  I don't even particularly like Litecoin.  It was cool at first because it used a new algo, but now I just mine with Middlecoin so I can hash Scrypt and get paid out in the cryptocurrency that I actually care about - Bitcoin.
EcuaMobi
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1469

https://Ecua.Mobi

View Profile WWW
January 28, 2014, 05:20:06 PM

It's simple. This is just a popularity contest.

The more popular the coin, the higher the demand, and thus higher the price.

Also, because of the high traffic, all exchange sites want to add Ðoge (because of the earned fees) and it makes the coin even more popular.

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: