Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 01:38:44 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin PR effort  (Read 4131 times)
Anonymous

August 28, 2011, 03:30:19 PM

I can offer bitcoinmedia.com which includes a group blog at http://bitcoin.me and a twitter account with over 3000 followers. http://twitter.com/#!/bitcoinmedia .

Originally I posted about my ideas for bitcoinmedia in october 2010  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1355.0 with a few ideas to spread the bitcoin word.

The Bitcoin Speakers Beaureau https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=36685.0 I posted about this because I have been contacted a lot by people wanting to get a bitcoin speaker to talk about the project. For example Agora IO https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=36679.0

Of course there is the time I donated 5000btc to get the weusecoins video over the line.

Basically I can offer a trusted bitcoin brand as the tip of the spear. It wont take much to point the domain and add people as contributors to the blog.

"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
fabiola!

Activity: 714
Merit: 251

View Profile
September 29, 2014, 08:46:02 PM

How about PR stunts to raise awareness? It's the easiest way. Why don't we try to come up with some ideas for this?
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4172
Merit: 4357

View Profile
September 29, 2014, 08:55:49 PM

How about PR stunts to raise awareness? It's the easiest way. Why don't we try to come up with some ideas for this?

PR stunts are fame for 5 minutes..

take the PR stunt of redbull.. redbull stratos.. (skydive from space)

then look at redbulls growth of business since then..

A total of 5.387 billion cans of Red Bull were sold worldwide in 2013, representing an increase of 3.1% against an already very successful 2012.

=3.1% increase.

without any PR at all bitcoins market cap moves more than 3% a week as it is.

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
ducatitalia

Activity: 259
Merit: 250

100% Positive EBAY Feedback Since 2001

View Profile
September 30, 2014, 12:26:28 AM

I was just watching Jeff Garzik's presentation at the Bitconf (really? Bitcon? was someone asleep?), and he mentioned the need for a PR effort to bring a higher level of bitcoin education to the general public.

As I happen to agree, and have a background in communication and journalism, it resonates with me.

So I thought we might start a discussion as to what this Bitcoin PR would look and feel like. Here are some ideas:

- A clearing house for expertise on the different aspects of bitcoin  (THIS IS BRANDING), that puts out regular press releases to media outlets, then guides the incoming queries through the appropriate channels. 

- A repository of all previous coverage of bitcoin in the media.  (THIS IS MEDIA RELATIONS)

- A proactive effort to contact levels of government, banking, trading, law enforcement, etc... towards showing that bitcoin, while truly revolutionary as a concept, isn't necessarily "dangerous" and can in fact be complementary to already existing policies, systems and paradigms.  (THIS IS PUBLIC RELATIONS)

- Perhaps some inroads into academia, to see if some bright students want to make bitcoin the object of their dissertation, or to channel the knowledgable people to give talks at universities and colleges.  (THIS IS MARKETING)

Any other ideas? A name would be great... too bad Bitcoin Consultancy is already taken.

Or, this PR effort could be rolled into an existing entity, like Bitcoin Consultancy.

The key is that it has to be done professionally. So far, most attempts at bringing bitcoin to the public at large have had a certain whiff of amateurishness to them. We need to raise the bar a tad.

Cheers,

First and foremost, it is imperative to delineate the difference between Public Relations and Branding...despite widespread misconceptions, the two are positively not one in the same.  I think what you (and many others, including Garzik, Antonopoulos, Armstrong et al) are really talking about here is a concerted Brand Strategy.  You bite off nearly every aspect of the communications spectrum with your initial ideas...see my comments in red next to each above.

Bitcoin needs it all.

Public Relations is at its core, outreach that builds symbiotic relationships between organizations and their stakeholders...but it has, as an industry, generally evolved (or devolved, depending on your perspective) into damage control.   

Brand is who and what you are and Branding is the process by which you communicate who and what you are...this requires a certain element of focus and, dare I say, centralization.  You use terms like "clearing house" and "repository"...and these are appropriate for effective Brand Strategy given the specific and controlled requirements needed for effective Branding. 

Prioritization is needed.  Before moving to actionable one-off steps, a more over-arching stratagem and understanding regarding precisely which of these aspects is being addressed should be determined, then it would be wonderful to be able to compile a wide-reaching "peer-to-peer" effort in the truest spirit of Bitcoin to address this significant void.  Companies however, spend seemingly countless amounts of time and money to create effective specific Brand Strategy...it is unarguably the most defining aspect of a business model, regardless of industry. 

Bitcoin, by its very nature, has no such concerted effort.  The Brand, Media Strategy, Marketing and Public Relations initiatives have been and will continue to be largely splintered at best, and as we've often seen, detrimental at worst.  My guess is that eventually one or perhaps a few Bitcoin focused companies will begin to dominate both the Bitcoin economy and public awareness...and these leaders will shape and shepherd the Bitcoin "Brand" as it were...much as Visa and American Express did for the credit card industry.  This is a chilling special-interest prospect indeed.  Anyone remember these early credit card industry efforts from the 1970's...?

Top Bitrated Escrow Service: Racer Great BTC Resources: www.thebtcboss.com
Interest Free Loans: Here BTC:1MBFDLK3s9Nzk7Anfzx2GvhUo7DEBqFz7W
fabiola!

Activity: 714
Merit: 251

View Profile
September 30, 2014, 12:32:56 AM

PR stunts are fame for 5 minutes..

take the PR stunt of redbull.. redbull stratos.. (skydive from space)

then look at redbulls growth of business since then..

A total of 5.387 billion cans of Red Bull were sold worldwide in 2013, representing an increase of 3.1% against an already very successful 2012.

=3.1% increase.

without any PR at all bitcoins market cap moves more than 3% a week as it is.

It DOES make a difference. Sales increase do not equal AWARENESS. Plus, we don't need sales for btc, we need awareness, I'm a PR expert, I know what I'm talking about, trust me. Would you consider skydiving from space in a bitcoin logo suit? I would chip in for that : )
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: