Bitcoin Forum
June 24, 2024, 02:49:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [WTS] USB Style PCI-E 1x - 16x Powered Riser Cables !! $5.95 ea 25k + Sold!  (Read 48083 times)
eduncan911

Activity: 101
Merit: 10

Miner / Engineer

View Profile WWW
January 11, 2014, 01:48:27 AM

Done !

Saw the change!  Oh man, what customer service...

* Place order on website.  

* Seller posts pictures of what he got in stock online, blows everyone away with how good they look.

* Buyer realizes he wants that color combo.  Tells owner to change his order.

* Seller changes order, updates with emails, and submits a tracking number in email.

* Buyer comes back and praises seller.  Smiley

BTC: 131Zt92zoA7XUfkLhm1p2FwSP3tAxE43vf
bitcenturion

Activity: 31
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 11, 2014, 07:32:46 PM

Can you overnight 5 60's? Let me know? I am in NY.
tnicks

Activity: 7

View Profile
January 11, 2014, 07:35:21 PM
Last edit: January 11, 2014, 08:53:58 PM by tnicks

Do these allow current to flow back to the motherboard? That's an issue I've seen with a ton of risers, which is easily resolved by modifying the ribbon. With these, I would not be able to make that modification if necessary. A ton of motherboards are being fried by the board being overloaded by current flowing back from the 12v line.
RickJamesBTC (OP)

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 11, 2014, 07:55:32 PM

Do these allow current to flow back to the motherboard? That's an issue I've seen with a ton of these risers, which is easily resolved by modifying the ribbon. With these, I would not be able to make that modification if necessary. A ton of motherboards are being fried by the board being overloaded by current flowing back from the 12v line.

A ton? Show me links to that. Motherboards get fried when people run five or six gpus with unpowered risers each trying to draw 2-3 amps or more. Do you even understand how a powered riser works? There is no "current flow" back to the motherboard. The USB lines handle data, the molex provides 12v and 5v (converted to 3.3 for pice spec).
tnicks

View Profile
January 11, 2014, 08:27:10 PM

Do these allow current to flow back to the motherboard? That's an issue I've seen with a ton of these risers, which is easily resolved by modifying the ribbon. With these, I would not be able to make that modification if necessary. A ton of motherboards are being fried by the board being overloaded by current flowing back from the 12v line.

A ton? Show me links to that. Motherboards get fried when people run five or six gpus with unpowered risers each trying to draw 2-3 amps or more. Do you even understand how a powered riser works? There is no "current flow" back to the motherboard. The USB lines handle data, the molex provides 12v and 5v (converted to 3.3 for pice spec).

Seriously? You're selling a product and you decide responding like an asshole is the best approach? Why not try asking someone to clarify instead of assuming they don't know wtf they are talking about?

Here's more information on the issue, which yes, is an issue.
https://litecointalk.org/index.php?topic=10232.0
http://forum.feathercoin.com/index.php?topic=2193.0

There's no reason for the 12v to be connected when you're added an extra powered 12v connection. That's the entire point of the powered riser. You're either burning up the board by drawing too much power without powered risers, or you're burning it in reverse if the 12v pin is connected at the board. This is why people are modifying ribbon cables to resolve this issue.
RickJamesBTC (OP)

View Profile
January 11, 2014, 08:34:22 PM

I wasn't being an ass, you asked a question about a totally different product. These don't connect the power lines. Power is supplied by the molex, I have tested amp draw on all the lines. There is no "current backflow". This is NOT a ribbon cable, but a usb cable. These are designed for this purpose.
EdBoon

Activity: 53

View Profile
January 11, 2014, 08:39:27 PM

I wasn't being an ass, you asked a question about a totally different product. These don't connect the power lines. Power is supplied by the molex, I have tested amp draw on all the lines. There is no "current backflow". This is NOT a ribbon cable, but a usb cable. These are designed for this purpose.

any estimation on the 1 ft version?  Thanks!
RickJamesBTC (OP)

View Profile
January 11, 2014, 08:46:11 PM

The usb cable isn't carrying power. The draw will be depending on your card. For example, my r9-280Xs running hot each draw 2.6 amps at 12v with the fan running 100%. I've heard of some drawing 75+ watts, which would be almost twice that much. You really have to test your cards when designing power supplies.
tnicks

View Profile
January 11, 2014, 08:47:32 PM

If you say so bud. Confirmation that none of the 12v lines were connected back to the motherboard would have been sufficient. I'm aware they are different products, that's exactly why I had to ask the question.
RickJamesBTC (OP)

View Profile
January 11, 2014, 08:51:36 PM

If you say so bud. Confirmation that none of the 12v lines were connected back to the motherboard would have been sufficient. I'm aware they are different products, that's exactly why I had to ask the question.

You didn't ask, you said you had seen tons of motherboards fried with these risers. That's not true.
tnicks

View Profile
January 11, 2014, 08:56:49 PM

You didn't ask, you said you had seen tons of motherboards fried with these risers. That's not true.

Yes, it appears I slipped in an errant "these" in my original question that did however reference ribbons. I've edited it for clarity, as I was speaking about risers in general, so sorry for the confusion. USB carries power obviously, so it's impossible to know if the 12v line is connected back without actually asking the question.
Pita

Activity: 56

View Profile
January 11, 2014, 09:24:29 PM

Yes, it appears I slipped in an errant "these" in my original question that did however reference ribbons. I've edited it for clarity, as I was speaking about risers in general, so sorry for the confusion. USB carries power obviously, so it's impossible to know if the 12v line is connected back without actually asking the question.
Standard USB signal cables carries power. This question was asked couple pages earlier if these were a PCIe to USB signal and back conversion, which it is not. The USB cables are just physical wires that continue the flow of PCIe signal between the two boards with no USB conversion. Hope that answers the question.
tnicks

View Profile
January 11, 2014, 09:38:05 PM

Standard USB signal cables carries power. This question was asked couple pages earlier if these were a PCIe to USB signal and back conversion, which it is not. The USB cables are just physical wires that continue the flow of PCIe signal between the two boards with no USB conversion. Hope that answers the question.

Thank you, I must have overlooked that when I read through the first time. That's what I was looking for.
Pita

Activity: 56

View Profile
January 11, 2014, 09:53:24 PM

Thank you, I must have overlooked that when I read through the first time. That's what I was looking for.

And also for those that are curious about these boards. The lines the USB cable carriers would be the 2 differential serial data pairs, total 4 wires from pins 14 & 15 on B side of edge connector and pins 16 & 17 from A side of edge connector, for the TX and RX signals. If you are curious about any of the ICs on the x16 boards, since the ribbon cable style extenders have all pins (with exception of 12 V and/or ground for the separated versions) connected, these will automatically provide all JTAG and 3.3V lines. Since this USB style one does not have these lines, the  black IC on the board is the 3.3 V voltage regulator which receives its power form the external 4 pin molex connector, which has a 12V and a 5V line on it along with 2 ground/return lines. The capacitors are used for any noise cancellation/stabilization of the power lines. And since the JTAG is not used for our needs, we can just scrap them...
RickJamesBTC (OP)

View Profile
January 11, 2014, 09:57:36 PM

And also for those that are curious about these boards. The lines the USB cable carriers would be the 2 differential serial data pairs, total 4 wires from pins 14 & 15 on B side of edge connector and pins 16 & 17 from A side of edge connector, for the TX and RX signals. If you are curious about any of the ICs on the x16 boards, since the ribbon cable style extenders have all pins (with exception of 12 V and/or ground for the separated versions) connected, these will automatically provide all JTAG and 3.3V lines. Since this USB style one does not have these lines, the  black IC on the board is the 3.3 V voltage regulator which receives its power form the external 4 pin molex connector, which has a 12V and a 5V line on it along with 2 ground/return lines. The capacitors are used for any noise cancellation/stabilization of the power lines. And since the JTAG is not used for our needs, we can just scrap them...

All that!
drdops

Activity: 144
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 01:44:44 AM

tried to order from the website- but doesnt ship to ireland?
how do i order 8x 60cm?
RickJamesBTC (OP)

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 01:52:49 AM

tried to order from the website- but doesnt ship to ireland?
how do i order 8x 60cm?

By pm or email, paying with bitcoin. International shipments need to be paid in bitcoin.
Thanks!
vesperwillow

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 03:13:18 AM

Irrelevant honestly. I've read those threads. I run GPUs which draw 350-400w per gpu on unpowered risers, some of them are 60cm long, all without issue. So do other folks with large farms in china and elsewhere.

The REAL problem is when your PCIE power rail is failing to produce enough current for the GPU's draw, so then it attempts to pull more from the PCIe socket. If the cables have varying quality, especially on the solder joints, you'll end up with the cable's 12v line acting like a fuse. If the motherboard is damaged from this, then the PSU is/was failing (likely the 12v rail), and/or it wasn't properly spec'd for the current draw.

Folks can't just buy a PSU that says X watts and presume it'll work. The important detail is the 12v rail *constant current drain* raiting. I have some which are rated for 27-29amps per GPU, and some which are 35amps per GPU. I match the appropriate rail with the appropriate GPU depending on current draw.

Coincidentally, it doesn't matter if these or any products "back feed"--that doesn't even make sense. DC flows in one direction, and there are plenty of diodes on GPU PCB's to prevent such a situation. You'd fry the tracer on the PCB before you fried a cable if there was a backflow issue. The tracer is thinner than the PCI riser cable. This is all supported by many of the photos, where the riser burns up at the slot--the current is drawing/trying to draw from the slot--likely, again, from a PSU lacking the ability to provide current. If it were a back-flow issue, the tracers would poof.

Not trying to hijack the OP's thread, but just provide clarity on a wives-tale.

EdBoon

Activity: 53

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 07:16:46 PM

The usb cable isn't carrying power. The draw will be depending on your card. For example, my r9-280Xs running hot each draw 2.6 amps at 12v with the fan running 100%. I've heard of some drawing 75+ watts, which would be almost twice that much. You really have to test your cards when designing power supplies.

Sorry, I meant when you are getting more in/shipping out Smiley , any idea when more are coming in?
RickJamesBTC (OP)

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 07:23:47 PM

I've got lots coming in, all sizes, and will have more orders when needed after that. I'm sorry for a few days delay on these first ones, all my DHL orders have been late. It'll be easier to say that there is a 3-5 day handling period before shipping, just in case. I can restock anything within a week.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: