Bitcoin Forum
June 24, 2024, 12:51:26 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [WTS] USB Style PCI-E 1x - 16x Powered Riser Cables !! $5.95 ea 25k + Sold!  (Read 48083 times)
spartan82

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 09, 2014, 11:48:48 PM

whats the advantage of these besides the extra length?
Im planning on trying to run 5 290's per board and have been reading about problems trying to get windows to see all the cards and people having to short certain pins in the risers to get it to work. Do these take care of all those issues? Do these cables meet the industry standard for load tolerance and insulation etc.. all it takes is one bad cable for the whole operation to go up in smoke?

side question to anyone: could you recommend a 1350w psu gold with 4 pcie 6 pin and 4 pcie 8 pin connectors? ( will a 1350w be enough for 4 R9 290's (non x) Tri X (sapphire) cards (and nothing else)? I was told they take ~275w each- have I enough headroom?

You don't actually do anything to the riser itself, the pin shortening process is with the pci slot on the motherboard with a cat5 or 6 cable. See https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=36061.0 for more info on this.. As for the psu you might be better off splitting the load between two seperate PSUs and use an adapter from http://www.add2psu.com it's probably just the same cost if not cheaper this way and its less stress on the PSU.

You don't even need that adapter. You just need to jumper pins 16 and 17 on the second ATX connector so that the PS_ON is truned on. To keep from being on constantly, you can put a manual cheap switch on it from radio shack or whatever else or a physical jumper (piece of wire) you can remove by hand. All it is is a ground pin.

You're onto it mate, this is just for people that don't want to be messing about with wiring themselves but yes you're right that's all this adapter does.
Pita

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 12:13:02 AM

whats the advantage of these besides the extra length?
Im planning on trying to run 5 290's per board and have been reading about problems trying to get windows to see all the cards and people having to short certain pins in the risers to get it to work. Do these take care of all those issues? Do these cables meet the industry standard for load tolerance and insulation etc.. all it takes is one bad cable for the whole operation to go up in smoke?

side question to anyone: could you recommend a 1350w psu gold with 4 pcie 6 pin and 4 pcie 8 pin connectors? ( will a 1350w be enough for 4 R9 290's (non x) Tri X (sapphire) cards (and nothing else)? I was told they take ~275w each- have I enough headroom?

You don't actually do anything to the riser itself, the pin shortening process is with the pci slot on the motherboard with a cat5 or 6 cable. See https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=36061.0 for more info on this.. As for the psu you might be better off splitting the load between two seperate PSUs and use an adapter from http://www.add2psu.com it's probably just the same cost if not cheaper this way and its less stress on the PSU.

You don't even need that adapter. You just need to jumper pins 16 and 17 on the second ATX connector so that the PS_ON is truned on. To keep from being on constantly, you can put a manual cheap switch on it from radio shack or whatever else or a physical jumper (piece of wire) you can remove by hand. All it is is a ground pin.

You're onto it mate, this is just for people that don't want to be messing about with wiring themselves but yes you're right that's all this adapter does.

or if you want to mimic that $19.99 piece of hardware, get a cheap relay that switches it and wire in between. Then you do not have to manually control on and off. Same thing, but with savings of around $18 Smiley
RickJamesBTC (OP)

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 03:36:46 AM

Just use a jumper on your PSU for the graphics cards and leave them on. You don't need them to reset when the computer does, and if you want to turn them off, you can use the switch on the psu itself. I never turn off the power to the cards unless I'm changing parts.
RickJamesBTC (OP)

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 04:14:47 AM

Has anyone bought received these personally? How long does the shipping take?

rickjames- if I order later tonight do you think they would be shipped tomorrow?

Thanks,
Boon

I start shipping tomorrow, Friday the 10th. DHL dropped the ball on this one, should have been here yesterday. Should be able to get all the 100cm versions out tomorrow, maybe the 60cm, no 30cm ones yet.
ssateneth
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1004

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 04:20:40 AM

rickjames- if I order later tonight do you think they would be shipped tomorrow?

Thanks,
Boon

I start shipping tomorrow, Friday the 10th. DHL dropped the ball on this one, should have been here yesterday. Should be able to get all the 100cm versions out tomorrow, maybe the 60cm, no 30cm ones yet.

Just so your know, when I ordered mine, I needed to call DHL and give them lots of personal information, including my SSN, because of the value of the package and import/duties process. You might need to do the same. Also, you might get an invoice to pay duties, depending if customs screws up. I had to pay 5.3% import duties because customs erroneously classified mine as 854420 which is coaxial cables when it should be 854442 which is electrical conductors fitted with connectors (notice it's only 1 extra 4) as well as being duty free.

Also, PCI-E presence short mod is not needed with these. It is built in right into the small PCB. No more inserting wires to get your GPU to detect.

RickJamesBTC (OP)

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 04:23:23 AM

Thanks,
Boon

Just so your know, when I ordered mine, I needed to call DHL and give them lots of personal information, including my SSN, because of the value of the package and import/duties process. You might need to do the same. Also, you might get an invoice to pay duties, depending if customs screws up. I had to pay 5.3% import duties because customs erroneously classified mine as 854420 which is coaxial cables when it should be 854442 which is electrical conductors fitted with connectors (notice it's only 1 extra 4).

Thanks, I'm already an importer and wired up with them though Smiley
They aren't stalled in customs, dhl doesn't have a regular route through my area so they gave the packages to USPS without letting me know.
boxofspuds

Activity: 51

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 04:26:10 AM

just out of curiosity, has anyone tested the 1 meter cables  (or other distances) and is everything within proper specs for the pci-e signal going over the usb cable?

I remember reading some concerns over this in the older threads when these first starting showing up.

i may have to order some 60 cm as i just don't want to wait a month for them to show up from china.  do you know how long usps priority to md takes?
RickJamesBTC (OP)

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 04:28:39 AM

just out of curiosity, has anyone tested the 1 meter cables  (or other distances) and is everything within proper specs for the pci-e signal going over the usb cable?

I remember reading some concerns over this in the older threads when these first starting showing up.

i may have to order some 60 cm as i just don't want to wait a month for them to show up from china.  do you know how long usps priority to md takes?

Well, nothing you order from me will take a month !

Priority is 2-3 day. All the way across the country like that will be on the 3 day side.

Thanks!
BotwinBG

Activity: 588

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 11:00:13 AM

Paid 0.17btc as per PM.

AMEPAY
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄
▄█████████▀▀▄▀▀█████████▄

▄██████▄▄█▀ ▀█▄▄██████▄
███████  ▀▀█▄██▀▀▄███████
███████ █ ▄ █ ▄▀▀▄███████
████████ █ █ █ ▄▀▀▄████████
▀█████████▄█ █ ▄██████████▀
▀████████  ▀▀▀  ████████▀
▀█████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
│▌
AMEPAY IEO
▄██████▄ ▀██████▄
█████████  ▀█████
███████▀     ▀███
██████▀  ▄█▄  ▀██
██████▄  ▀█▀  ▄██
███████▄     ▄███
█████████  ▄█████
▀██████▀ ▄██████▀
AMEPAY LISTING
   ▐███▄
   ████▌
▐██████████▄
████████████
 ████▌  █████
▐████  ▄████
██████████▀
 ▀█████▀▀
▐│
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄
▄█████████▀▀▄▀▀█████████▄

▄██████▄▄█▀ ▀█▄▄██████▄
███████  ▀▀█▄██▀▀▄███████
███████ █ ▄ █ ▄▀▀▄███████
████████ █ █ █ ▄▀▀▄████████
▀█████████▄█ █ ▄██████████▀
▀████████  ▀▀▀  ████████▀
▀█████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
EdBoon

Activity: 53

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 01:26:43 PM

Thanks,
Boon

Thanks for the quick reply.  Is there an estimate on when the 30 cm will come in?  I picked up 20 through your website and have a deadline on a couple machines, need to know if i should pick up the longer ones if the 30cm are going to be a while.

Thanks!
phzi

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 05:51:29 PM

These are spec'd to work with up to 3metre cables actually, so yes, 100cm shouldn't have any issue.

RickJamesBTC: Get your shipment in?
eduncan911

Activity: 101
Merit: 10

Miner / Engineer

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2014, 06:03:27 PM

Ordered 5x 60cm versions today.  Figured, what the heck.. I can always lay GPUs on their side outside of my rig if too long.

What PCIe version are these?  1.1, 2.0 or 3.0?  Cause bandwidth doubles in each.  Most PCIe slots are 2.0 I know, but plugging into an x16 PCIe 3.0 slot should yield... PCie 3.0 bandwidth?

I ask because I also do some CUDA computations, which requires some very high bandwidth.  It would double my calculations is it is x1 PCIe 3.0 over x1 PCIe 2.0.

BTC: 131Zt92zoA7XUfkLhm1p2FwSP3tAxE43vf
RickJamesBTC (OP)

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 06:59:33 PM

Ordered 5x 60cm versions today.  Figured, what the heck.. I can always lay GPUs on their side outside of my rig if too long.

What PCIe version are these?  1.1, 2.0 or 3.0?  Cause bandwidth doubles in each.  Most PCIe slots are 2.0 I know, but plugging into an x16 PCIe 3.0 slot should yield... PCie 3.0 bandwidth?

I ask because I also do some CUDA computations, which requires some very high bandwidth.  It would double my calculations is it is x1 PCIe 3.0 over x1 PCIe 2.0.

I think you are right, the port would determine the speed. This is just an extender. Mining doesn't need the speed, and I'm not sure of a way to test that. When you find out, please let us all know!

Not here yet, just spent twenty minutes arguing with dhl about why they weren't here Wednesday. Won't be using them again unless I have to.
Pierric

Activity: 13

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 07:50:05 PM

Ordered 5x 60cm versions today.  Figured, what the heck.. I can always lay GPUs on their side outside of my rig if too long.

What PCIe version are these?  1.1, 2.0 or 3.0?  Cause bandwidth doubles in each.  Most PCIe slots are 2.0 I know, but plugging into an x16 PCIe 3.0 slot should yield... PCie 3.0 bandwidth?

I ask because I also do some CUDA computations, which requires some very high bandwidth.  It would double my calculations is it is x1 PCIe 3.0 over x1 PCIe 2.0.

Theses won't give you extra bandwidth nor loose some, since the PCIe controllers are in the CPU and/or the Chipset depending on the platform you're using and in the GPU card, and theses controllers will set the PCIe speed this way : the actual PCIe speed will match the lowest PCIe revision of your hardware.
As USB3 wire are designed to support high bandwidth, I would expect theses risers to work well at 1x PCIe 3.0 speed.
I've ordered 3 of theses 100cm length risers, I'll tell here if they works well.
bitcenturion

Activity: 31

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 08:17:00 PM

Can you overnight these? If so, I will take 5 of the longer ones!
RickJamesBTC (OP)

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 09:09:39 PM

In Stock!  1M version, lots sold already, more coming mid next week.

eduncan911

Miner / Engineer

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2014, 10:26:09 PM

In Stock!  1M version, lots sold already, more coming mid next week.

Looks great!  Love the blue cable and teal-ish blue PCBs!  Oh man, I'm hoping that's the color I got!

Can you tell me that the 40cm ones I ordered today are that color?  (blue PCBs and blue cables)?  I'd really prefer those over the cheap-looking green PCB.  Your website has pictures of both so it made it confusing.

If the ones I got are green, I'll take the longer 100cm ones, or 1 meter ones in that pic.  Smiley

ALso, if I read it right, you also include the Molex-to-SATA adapter with each of these, correct?  My PSUs has 2 Molex, and like 12 Sata.

RickJamesBTC (OP)

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 10:41:29 PM

In Stock!  1M version, lots sold already, more coming mid next week.

Looks great!  Love the blue cable and teal-ish blue PCBs!  Oh man, I'm hoping that's the color I got!

Can you tell me that the 40cm ones I ordered today are that color?  (blue PCBs and blue cables)?  I'd really prefer those over the cheap-looking green PCB.  Your website has pictures of both so it made it confusing.

If the ones I got are green, I'll take the longer 100cm ones, or 1 meter ones in that pic.  Smiley

ALso, if I read it right, you also include the Molex-to-SATA adapter with each of these, correct?  My PSUs has 2 Molex, and like 12 Sata.

I don't have 40 cm ones, there are 30,60,100. I only have these so far, I'll add pics of the other ones when I get them. These do look damn nice Smiley

Each card includes the items shown in that pic.
eduncan911

Miner / Engineer

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2014, 10:48:46 PM

Ha, you're right!  I ordered the 60cm ones, per order confirmation email:

PCI-E Powered Riser Card 60cm 24" USB Cable
60cmRiser   5   $17.99 USD   $89.95 US

Whichever are blue on blue, I'll take!  If all you got are the 1 meter (100 cm) ones, that's fine.  If the 60cm ones you are getting in stock soon are the same color, I may wait - but sooner than later I am for.  Smiley  Since, they are the same price.

RickJamesBTC (OP)

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 11:19:05 PM

Done !
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: