Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 01:35:44 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Scam Report: Projects  (Read 25686 times)
gonefishing510

Activity: 20
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 12:45:20 AM

*Eyes ON*
wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 01:14:14 AM

At this point, thanks to the help of many of you, I have a name, address, and accounts used in the thefts.
As ffssixtynine mentioned, he's given me the name of a lawyer.

I'm willing to contact the police ASAP, I'm unsure of:
-Whether I should first wait to speak with the lawyer ffs has put me in touch with (I assume I should not wait), and
-Their phone number, and protocol. (I've never had to call police before in my own nation, much less in Scotland!)

If anyone cares to chime in on these subjects, or more helpfully, PM me the phone number of the Scotland police (bobbies? See - I'm gonna look like a foreigner tool talking to them!), I'd be grateful.

For everyone's information: I have provided Chainsaw with all information I have (and suggest everyone does the same).

mabipa125

Activity: 88
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 01:31:16 AM

If you tell me how to do it, I can send via pm the proof of the transaction.
realestone
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 01:33:40 AM

wow this is all very surprising ive sold projects lots of coins in the past
inflames666

Activity: 73

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 01:59:02 AM

Just found out mate. Hope you catch the bastard and he spends a good amount of time in the naughty/rape corner where he belongs. Thinking of ya mate.
gingpark

Activity: 99

-All Investment Has its Risks and Rewards-

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 02:19:38 AM

just saw this as coming back from the break and this is going pretty crazy so here is the last message I got from him.

Code:
Projects

Activity: 518

View Profile  Personal Message (Offline)
Trust: 1: -4 / +15(15)
Re: (No subject)
« Sent to: gingpark on: December 30, 2013, 07:07:10 AM »
« You have forwarded or responded to this message. »
Reply with quoteQuote  ReplyReply  Remove this messageDelete  

Nope nothing just really stressed with the whole situation got lots of people after me none as understanding as you so I need to take a break for a while to clear my head do you have any of the other 3 btc I lent please as I could really use it

I paid 56 BTC for 2 Juipter and 3 Saturn with 6 Modules technically making it 5 Juipter speeds got tracking numbers 3 packages Royal Mail this was on 11/20/13 , 11/23/13 , 11/26/13 posted.. I believed everything was good since he posted the last package first and said to send the coins later. In December through email was another trade 3 Juipter for 40 BTC but he paid 3 BTC since I only had 37 BTC and I said I will send the 3 BTC he lend as soon I get the package was suppose to be overnight shipping never got the package for that. The package ended up surface mail so calling Royal Mail they say they can't track it anymore and USPS has not scanned it in. I didn't think there was going to be this sort of problem but finally posting as now just wanted everything to be public. So summary so far 93 BTC as I never sent the 3 BTC since as it most of the post I also trusted his feedback for solving any problems in the past.  

BTC: 1GuhJeyccy7Y39TCPLcBPxuYaXQotsWzfZ
LTC: LhrLbraxjQHy1r7EU37wJhWsHvTMVmnZm9
Chainsaw

Activity: 625
Merit: 501

x

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 03:14:16 AM

gingpark,

he supplied me with likely-fake tracking numbers as well. They show as having been sent on 12/10 and arriving on 12/27, and sent on 12/12 and arriving on 12/19. Obviously, neither were sent to me. I ascribed it to shipping delays or errors amidst the holiday season, and completely bought his victim story.

An update on where things stand:

Thanks to the efforts of so many on this thread, I've compiled:
-Name
-Address
-Phone number
-Bank account data used in a fraudulent transaction tying to his identity
-Two emails

-ffssixtynine has sent an initial email putting me in contact with a lawyer.
-I have the phone number for Scotland Yard.

I don't currently have a means to call internationally. KCMining sent me some calling card information, and I'll work tomorrow on getting my iPhone configured to be able to use that, then will call and at least begin that process of informing the police.

I contacted Projects at both emails, left a text on his phone number, and left a 1 minute voicemail today after signing up for some international plan that had 2 minutes included free. I let him know we are rolling forward full steam ahead at this point, and requested he return the coins.

Ideally, we would have someone that lives in the UK spearheading this.  KCMining expressed a willingness to do this, but is currently stuck in the US.

Legal pursuit, foreign calls, and police interactions are all new things to me, so please bear with me. I don't hold out much hope of recovering mine or others' funds. If we engage on the legal route, I expect it would lead to either up-front fees or a significant cut of funds recovered.  At this point, it is more about justice, and I remain highly interested in pursuing this matter on the legal front.

I'm open to suggestions from others, and very willing to hand off any efforts to any other motivated parties.

SaltySpitoon
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 2154

Welcome to the SaltySpitoon, how Tough are ya?

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 03:22:46 AM

Pmed Chainsaw with what info I have.

Sorry man, I wish you luck.
ffssixtynine

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 10:03:00 AM

Buy $50 Skype credit and that will last you ages even for international calls. There are also various international calling cards/numbers you can use. Chainsaw, if the police want a uk person to speak to to help explain anything then you have my mobile number (it's in my emails) but obviously I have not been defrauded.

When you speak to the police, the important thing to remember is that it's about non delivery of goods paid for and not bitcoin. That will just confuse them. Bitcoin was just the payment method sometimes used but it's really not important to the initial investigation other than as proof of payment.

You should give the payment price in uk sterling equivalent at the time of purchase but obviously you need I say that most payments have been made using online digital currencies. Make things as easy as possible.

I have a PM from my contact with his views/info but he should post here himself if he wants rather than me reposting private messages, especially if he has bank info. He is UK based too.

This is either a long con or someone who got into debts up to his eyeballs. Either way, police involvement is required. Bitcoin is really nothing special here - this is someone who has essentially taken a lot of money and needs to deliver on promises, repay, or face the legal consequences. Whether the money or goods will be reclaimed depends upon if they are still around. Legally speaking, this may be fraud rather than theft but I can't ask lawyer friends until next week.

Chainsaw, don't wait for a lawyer. Speak to the Scottish police. Be calm and to the point. State what you paid and when, that he has disappeared and tracking numbers etc appear to be fake, and that others are in the same situ. State that between you you have personal and bank information about this person from previous dealings.
wachtwoord
Legendary

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 10:17:31 AM

When you speak to the police, the important thing to remember is that it's about non delivery of goods paid for and not bitcoin. That will just confuse them. Bitcoin was just the payment method sometimes used but it's really not important to the initial investigation other than as proof of payment.

That's only true for some of us. I for one just lend him Bitcoins rather than buy HW from him.
runam0k
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

Touchdown

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 10:47:44 AM

You might want to cross-post in the Currency exchange subforum (he seemed most active there) or any other relevant subforum in case others have info that might help.
shawshankinmate37927

Activity: 854

Bitcoin: The People's Bailout

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 01:57:36 PM

I've sent a PM to Chainsaw with an e-mail address that Projects provided to me a couple of months ago.  Hope this gets resolved, but not looking good...

"It is well enough that people of the nation do not understand our banking and monetary system, for if they did, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning."   - Henry Ford
FlensGold
Legendary

Activity: 1405

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 02:09:48 PM
Last edit: January 03, 2014, 02:23:21 PM by FlensGold

I bought 2 Saturn Miners from him on November 14th. I paid in 2 tranches (8+10 BTC, so 18 in total, which was ~6000 Euro):
https://blockchain.info/tx/13b1701080da92d3cbbf6af3ceffbd697bb2caa4d4edaba3ca64bf63af275164
https://blockchain.info/tx/34279de2c3bee08751e89175582e13d3d870b8e5e5b27e1dee091621ce4efc11

He sent me a tracking number (http://www.royalmail.com/track-trace -> RU059220205GB) but the package disappeared.
After discussing via email he agreed that we split the loss so he sent me back 3.88601 BTC which was 3000 Euro on December 6th.
Furthermore he promised to send me half of the insurance which he should receive for the lost package (2500 GBP / 2).

After that he offered me several miners via email, but I was not interested.
I would also like to add that I asked him for an invoice which he sent me. But I do not expect (now) that his real address is on it, it was an address in London:
David Williamson   
60 Windsor Avenue   
London   
SW19 2RR   

Edit: Added the address, hope this is not a problem since I assume it is a fake address.
runam0k
Legendary

Activity: 1092

Touchdown

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 02:17:11 PM

I'm in London - I can check it out. Either way, it should be added to the police report.
stereotype
Legendary

Activity: 1554

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 03:17:42 PM

Recommended by whom? Projects traded coins - buying and selling equipment seems like an odd departure for him.

Are any of you UK based? Someone should speak with the authorities asap.

That was me who recommended him.

On the 23rd December, i contacted Projects to exercise a call option i had purchased from him weeks ago. After he agreed to settle the trade the next day via BT, he went on to explain that he had 4 x KnC pre orders that he would like to sell, as he owed some people money. Given that i have successfully dealt with Projects over the last 9 months, I agreed to get in touch with some people i thought may be interested, ffss being one of them.

Looks like i was used here in a particularly nasty and potentiality criminal way, and so, if someone needs recent communication between myself and Projects, let me know, while im still angry.
I have never had his phone number, but confirm the address posted in this thread is the one i have.

You will notice i left him a positive trust rating......as he paid the 4 figure sum he promised!!
Bitter sweet, indeed.

Wow Projects, what the hell have you done?

Chainsaw

x

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 03:25:37 PM

Buy $50 Skype credit and that will last you ages even for international calls. There are also various international calling cards/numbers you can use. Chainsaw, if the police want a uk person to speak to to help explain anything then you have my mobile number (it's in my emails) but obviously I have not been defrauded.

You should give the payment price in uk sterling equivalent at the time of purchase but obviously you need I say that most payments have been made using online digital currencies. Make things as easy as possible.

I have a PM from my contact with his views/info but he should post here himself if he wants rather than me reposting private messages, especially if he has bank info. He is UK based too.

This is either a long con or someone who got into debts up to his eyeballs. Either way, police involvement is required. Bitcoin is really nothing special here - this is someone who has essentially taken a lot of money and needs to deliver on promises, repay, or face the legal consequences. Whether the money or goods will be reclaimed depends upon if they are still around. Legally speaking, this may be fraud rather than theft but I can't ask lawyer friends until next week.

Chainsaw, don't wait for a lawyer. Speak to the Scottish police. Be calm and to the point. State what you paid and when, that he has disappeared and tracking numbers etc appear to be fake, and that others are in the same situ. State that between you you have personal and bank information about this person from previous dealings.

I spoke online with http://www.actionfraud.police.uk/report-a-fraud-including-online-crime today. She suggested I file there, as she implied this was fraud-based.
I will take pretty much all the advice you shared above, ffs. I have a few phone numbers for police contacts now, so I'll try a few of those today after getting the Skype credit and getting off work.

We have at least one physical address for shipment and some bank accounts, so presumably he will be findable.

I'm not too sure how to say this, but uhhh, I'm not sure I'm the best person to be pushing this forward. Right now all I want to do is lie down in a hole somewhere for a few weeks, or spew venom at the world.

Going forward...I'll share everything I did, once it is done. Presumably that will give others a clear path forward, to be able to stack their claims on. I would guess I'll have some contact information or a case number that I can give others via PM once things get moving forward.  If I don't reply to a PM and it's been a few days, please re-send, there's a very good chance I'll miss things right now.

I'll post again when I know more. It might be a few days. (I won't be cross-posting or taking any other actions other than those that are absolutely necessary. I try to live a pretty drama free life, and already had two crises on my plate before this one got added. I have neither time nor emotional room for any additional effort other than those absolutely necessary at this point. I would encourage anyone else interested in cross-posting, or getting the word out to do so.)

A huge, huge thanks to everyone that provided me with information up to this point to help move things forward.

wachtwoord
Legendary

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 03:30:28 PM

I think you're doing an excellent job. Thanks for your work Smiley

I hope you'll be able to continue.
BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

BCJ

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 04:24:25 PM

Chainsaw

Where are you located. 

Can anyone in the UK take the lead?
Chainsaw

x

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 04:51:54 PM

BCB,

I live in Wisconsin, USA.

I've got enough preliminary information that I intend to file a fraud report today.

Where I see a UK-based person being far more effective is in attempts to actually locate the individual, perhaps be a resource to answer recurrent questions by the police, should they take the case, etc.

Someone in the last day mentioned a Florida address.  We don't know whether that information was part of the long con, or if he got in over his head, and shared some incriminating evidence about his escape plan.

If anyone has specific addresses, phone numbers, etc that are US-based, that may be a chaseable trail that I can provide to the authorities when I complete that form later today.

Chainsaw

x

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 06:48:05 PM

I filed my fraud report here. After speaking with their online help, I was told the following:

When you submit your report to Action Fraud, it goes to the National Fraud Intelligence Bureau which is based within the City of London police.

I included all my details, and also included any emails, phone numbers, and 2-of-the-3 bank accounts (the max I could) that were from someone else.
I would strongly encourage anyone else affected to do the same, and quickly, so the department will realize this is what I claim, and your losses can be wrapped up in the same effort.

The message from the end of the report submission (which took me approximately 40 minutes):

If you know anyone else who believes they have been a victim of fraud who wants to report the incident please ask them to complete the online report found at www.actionfraud.police.uk, or phone the contact centre on 0300 123 2040.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: