Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 10:22:58 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 [71] 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 ... 661 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][XCP] Counterparty - Pioneering Peer-to-Peer Finance - Official Thread  (Read 1276307 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
coinbird

Activity: 149
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 07:21:18 PM

I’m on xubuntu 13.10 and get the same "import zmq" error after updating.

If you're on ubuntu, just run: sudo apt-get install python3-zmq

As long as you're using the system Python3 (running commands with `python3 cmd`) then you should be ok.

Yes, that should work. You could also just re-run setup.py, which should issue that command as it rebuilds the environment.

rerunning setup.py didn’t work but installing python3-zmq with apt-get did it. Thanks.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
xnova

Activity: 390
Merit: 254

Counterparty Developer

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 07:51:56 PM

I’m on xubuntu 13.10 and get the same "import zmq" error after updating.

If you're on ubuntu, just run: sudo apt-get install python3-zmq

As long as you're using the system Python3 (running commands with `python3 cmd`) then you should be ok.

Yes, that should work. You could also just re-run setup.py, which should issue that command as it rebuilds the environment.

rerunning setup.py didn’t work but installing python3-zmq with apt-get did it. Thanks.

Thanks for bringing that up to my attention. The build system actually did not have the zmq deps for Ubuntu in there. Fixed in the newest push to git (should work for 12.04 for 13.10 -- they have different approaches due to python3-zmq not existing on 12.04).

Visit the official Counterparty forums: http://counterpartytalk.org
xnova

Counterparty Developer

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 07:56:30 PM
Last edit: January 25, 2014, 08:42:00 PM by xnova

Is there an equivalent rpcallowip?

If I'm not mistaken, rpc-host is essentially the same as rpcallowip.

This will allow any IP to connect:
Code:
rpc-host=0.0.0.0

If you specify the IP number, connections should be limited to that IP only:

Code:
rpc-host=68.122.255.122

However, IP addresses can be spoofed, so make sure you're using a very strong password if you've opened the connection to the Internet (20+ chars).  I would be very, very careful about exposing the API on the open Internet if you're storing any significant amount of XCP/BTC on that wallet.  It would be better to put it behind a proxy server, like nginx.

You probably know all this, but I mention this for the sake of others reading.

Actually, rpc-host is set to what local interface IP counterpartyd will bind to (with 0.0.0.0 meaning "all interfaces"). So, it must be a local interface on the box (e.g. rpc-host=68.122.255.122 will bind to the local interface that has IP 68.122.255.122... that interface must exist on the system).

That being said, rpcallowip semantics do not exist in counterpartyd currently. We can consider adding them in a future release (or a pull request with the feature is welcome!). So currently, to restrict connections to that port down to a specific IP or set of IPs, please use your firewall (i.e. windows firewall, linux iptables, or some other firewall device like Cisco ASA/PIX or pfsense, etc).

In thinking about it, that is the best way to do it. Firewalls have much better (and proven!) feature sets for restricting access like this.

gitinahang

Activity: 43
Merit: 30

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 08:55:48 PM

If anybody has the patience to help a newbie I'd appreciate it. I am not a computer technical person. I followed the steps to install from source
on windows. I installed everything I needed and brought up a cmd.exe command window. I typed the

cd C:\
git clone https://github.com/xnova/counterpartyd_build
cd counterpartyd_build
C:\Python32\python.exe setup.py

I then follow the directions to run from source.

cd C:\counterpartyd_build
C:\Python32\python.exe run.py server

After doing this it takes a while showing all the blocks and transactions and burns up till now correct?

Well my question is after it has caught up, what do I do to use counterparty exactly? In the same command window it doesn't let me

type anything. So do i open a new command window while that one is running? If so when i go to counterpartyd_build prompt in a new cmd

all the commands do not work. Everything says is not a recognized command or something. I do not understand where the actualy

counterparty progam is. Please explain to me in a literal step by step manner like you would explaining to your grandmother. I just want to be able

to use counterpary to confirm my balance has successfully transferred when I transferred my private key from blockchain.info. And to move my xcp

to another bitcoin address. Thank you so much to any member willing to explain it layman to me.
brite_enclave

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 09:51:39 PM

Actually, rpc-host is set to what local interface IP counterpartyd will bind to (with 0.0.0.0 meaning "all interfaces"). So, it must be a local interface on the box (e.g. rpc-host=68.122.255.122 will bind to the local interface that has IP 68.122.255.122... that interface must exist on the system).

Yes -- stupid mistake on my part.  I wasn't thinking that one through.  rpc-host just specifies which IP address cherrypy binds to.  The only way you can accept external IP connections is to bind to 0.0.0.0, and there's no way to limit that by IP.  Actually, I'm not sure how bitcoind even implements rpcallowip -- I'll have to check it out.  But agreed that firewalls are the way to go.

It's also pretty simple to configure nginx as reverse proxy to limit external connections to certain hosts, using the "location" block and `allow x.x.x.x` then `denyall`.  Check me on that if you do it, can't quite remember if there's anything else to do.
brite_enclave

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 10:01:58 PM

If anybody has the patience to help a newbie I'd appreciate it.

You're almost there.  You're exactly right -- you need to keep the one cmd window open and running the counterpartyd server (there are easier ways to do this as a service but if you only want to do it once this is fine).  While you're doing this, open another cmd window, and run the exact same command, only replacing "server" with whatever command you want to run ("wallet" would be a good one first time).

But you have to wait until the server has caught up with the current bitcoin block.  You can check the current number on blockchain.info or on blockscan.com
gitinahang

Activity: 43
Merit: 30

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 10:25:42 PM

If anybody has the patience to help a newbie I'd appreciate it.

You're almost there.  You're exactly right -- you need to keep the one cmd window open and running the counterpartyd server (there are easier ways to do this as a service but if you only want to do it once this is fine).  While you're doing this, open another cmd window, and run the exact same command, only replacing "server" with whatever command you want to run ("wallet" would be a good one first time).

But you have to wait until the server has caught up with the current bitcoin block.  You can check the current number on blockchain.info or on blockscan.com

Thank you brite_enclave for taking the time. I am away from my bitcoin wallet computer so I can't check but I think I was forgetting to

to include the full command line before I input the desired command. Thank you kindly for pointing it out to me.
xnova

Counterparty Developer

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 11:49:01 PM

My bitcoin-qt finished reindexing, but I restarted it and it's starting to reindex from the beginning??

Has anyone else had this problem or know the cause?

Edit: I am on Ubuntu 13.10. My .bitcoin is a soft link to my data directory stored in another partition on the same drive. Perhaps that's the reason?

Did you specify the --reindex switch again by accident? (is it in your bitcoin config file?... if that's even possible with that particular parameter...I'd check it just in case)

supersuber

Activity: 118
Merit: 104

Counterparty

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 12:55:40 AM

After installing, open a command window and run counterpartyd in the foreground via:

Code:
cd C:\counterpartyd_build
C:\Python32\python.exe run.py server
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\counterpartyd_build\dist\counterpartyd\counterpartyd.py", line 22, in
 <module>
    from lib import (config, api, zeromq, util, exceptions, bitcoin, blocks)
  File "C:\counterpartyd_build\dist\counterpartyd\lib\zeromq.py", line 14, in <m
odule>
    import zmq
ImportError: No module named zmq

Can you tell me what am I doing wrong?

Code:
ImportError: No module named zmq

You need pyzmq: if windows, download here: http://www.lfd.uci.edu/~gohlke/pythonlibs/

Thank you very much!
I installed pyzmq.
Then
Code:
C:\counterpartyd_build>C:\Python32\python.exe run.py server
  File "C:\counterpartyd_build\dist\counterpartyd\counterpartyd.py", line 22, in
 <module>
    from lib import (config, api, zeromq, util, exceptions, bitcoin, blocks)
  File "C:\counterpartyd_build\dist\counterpartyd\lib\zeromq.py", line 14, in <m
odule>
    import zmq
  File "C:\Python32\lib\site-packages\zmq\__init__.py", line 33, in <module>
    _libzmq = ctypes.cdll.LoadLibrary(bundled[0])
  File "C:\Python32\Lib\ctypes\__init__.py", line 431, in LoadLibrary
    return self._dlltype(name)
  File "C:\Python32\Lib\ctypes\__init__.py", line 353, in __init__
    self._handle = _dlopen(self._name, mode)
WindowsError: [Error 127] 找不到指定的程序。

Huh

Apologies guys. I updated the docs earlier but forgot to rebuild them at readthedocs. Please see http://counterpartyd-build.readthedocs.org/en/latest/BuildingFromSource.html#on-windows

The pyzmq package you should be using is listed there. Please uninstall that package you are using and install the one linked to instead, which should fix the problem.

Thank you all the same!
updated.
Code:
C:\counterpartyd_build>C:\Python32\python.exe run.py server
  File "C:\counterpartyd_build\dist\counterpartyd\counterpartyd.py", line 507, i
n <module>
    util.bitcoind_check(db)
  File "C:\counterpartyd_build\dist\counterpartyd\lib\util.py", line 48, in bitc
oind_check
    raise exceptions.BitcoindError('Bitcoind is running about {} seconds behind.
'.format(round(time_behind)))
lib.exceptions.BitcoindError: Bitcoind is running about 17314277 seconds behind.

Sad

sixteendigits

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 03:05:25 AM

Come on ya cheapskates, we all want a GUI, we get an announcement that bounty is being raised to fund one, and one dude donates 0.1 BTC.  Now I understand a lot of small investors may not have much to give, but I know we got a handful of whales among all these burnt BTC who are cheaping out.  Typical, crypto-community always wants something for nothing and all devs to work for free.

Sent over another donation, I am now approx. a 0.45% stakeholder in XCP and a 9.5% stakeholder in the dev fund  Roll Eyes
Patel
Legendary

Activity: 1321
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
January 26, 2014, 03:51:39 AM

Maybe a noob question but I hope someone can answer.

How do user created assets work? If I create an asset called Bitcoin, and issue 10 of those. Is that asset backed by the trust of the address which issued it? I am guessing people would sign messages with the address saying, "These 10 issuances of User Created Asset Bitcoin represent my full faith to issue one Bitcoin to whoever owns this asset?"

So the asset is only as good as the address/person who issues it.

Is this correct?
PhantomPhreak (OP)

Activity: 476
Merit: 300

Counterparty Chief Scientist and Co-Founder

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 04:05:01 AM

Maybe a noob question but I hope someone can answer.

How do user created assets work? If I create an asset called Bitcoin, and issue 10 of those. Is that asset backed by the trust of the address which issued it? I am guessing people would sign messages with the address saying, "These 10 issuances of User Created Asset Bitcoin represent my full faith to issue one Bitcoin to whoever owns this asset?"

So the asset is only as good as the address/person who issues it.

Is this correct?

Yes, that is, in general, correct.
SyRenity

Activity: 756
Merit: 502

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 04:59:40 AM

It is important to make a strict distinction between the developers of Counterparty, and the Counterparty protocol itself. Burning BTC is only secondarily a demonstration of trust in the developers, it is primarily a demonstration of confidence in the protocol, whereas, by sending BTC and XCP to the Counterparty donation address, the community is trusting the Counterparty team to deal honestly and competently with funds meant for bounties. Faith in the protocol does not necessarily imply faith in the developers, and it is unreasonable to force those who want to invest in the former to donate to the latter. In the long run the protocol and the current developers aren't tied together.

In our view, the short term benefits gained by more donations are outweighed by the medium- to long-term benefits of sticking with proof-of-burn. Counterparty's long-term success depends on it being maximally trustless and decentralized throughout the entire initialization-of-balances period.

The value of the Bitcoins burned is the price paid for a fair launch.

+1 - awesome post.

It's so refreshing to finally find people who launch a new project for the sake of advancing the crypto community, and not for getting rich fast (NXT, I'm looking at you! Smiley ).
panonym

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

Help and Love one another ♥

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 07:55:13 AM

I encourage everyone to make a donation, whatever the amount.

Yet I don't think any rules should be changed now.
Consider this project as an experiment =)

Dev could have set from the start that 1% of all the XCP created are donated to them for bounties.
Many people including me would probably had no problem with that.
The 1% being in XCP, for it to have value the dev should work at best for the project to success.
It was decided to lunch this project without forced donation.
So be it.
Up to everyone to give voluntarily.
Give BTC, give XCP, give skills, give help, give time, etc.
Give whatever you can/want. But give something.

As I said: it is an experiment in itself.
Can a monetary community project works well without huge founds for bounties?
Will the core dev be motivate long enough and keep working hard for the community?
Will the community build website, service, give time?
I hope so, I guess yes. We will see.

Thank you very much to all those who spend time for counterparty improvement.
May this project success and don't leave any investor on losses Wink
qtgwith

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 08:03:00 AM
Last edit: January 26, 2014, 10:30:44 AM by qtgwith

Dev could have set from the start that 1% of all the XCP created are donated to them for bounties.
The 1% being in XCP, for it to have value the dev should work at best for the project to success.
So be it.

Will the core dev be motivate long enough and keep working hard for the community?

Yes, The project is totally depended on the developers and community,not on donation. The NXT only received 21BTC. But it has achieved a great success.
SyRenity

Activity: 756
Merit: 502

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 08:17:45 AM
Last edit: January 26, 2014, 11:36:03 AM by SyRenity

Yes, The project is totally depended on the developers and community,not on donation. The NXT only received 21BTC. But it has achieved a huge success.

NXT achieved a success (? still to be seen) thanks to a very limited initial distribution that created a shortage, which caused all the early investors and these who bought it initially, to repeatedly promote NXT to anyone possible, which seen the valuations jumping in progressive fashion.

The case will be different here as anyone who wanted has bought it, and the most possible route I see, is gradual acceptance of the technology by the financial and crypto world. This will in turn create a real and long-lasting value of the XCP technology.
Luckybit

Activity: 714
Merit: 510

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 10:37:29 AM

So be it.

If you can give XCP its better to give XCP. If XCP is to stand on its own why are we even discussing giving donations in BTC? Developers should also be willing to accept and even prefer their own currency. Think of it as being paid in stock.

And as a good signal the developers have announced they'll accept XCP.

klee
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 12:10:51 PM

I am not a technical guy, but I know this project has a potential bump to bitcoin protocol application. We are happy to see that there are more and more bitcoin protocol application startups. Never think Bitcoin is just a kind of crypto-currency, bitcoin is more than a crypto-currency. Lots of application could be coming out above the protocol. I would like to list the potential project here:

MSC - Mastercoin, application on top of bitcoin protocol
Coloredcoins, application on top of bitcoin protocol
BTS - Bitshares, new application
NXT - Nextcoin, new application totally different than bitcoin
XCP - Counterparty, application on top of bitcoin protocol
eMu - eMunie, new application totally different than bitcoin
eTher - ethereum, application on top of bitcoin protocol
Zerocoin, new application totally different than bitcoin

If you know more, add to this thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=428785.new#new

ether is from the ground up, it is not on top of bitcoin as far as i can tell

and PTS has it's own unique blockchain using proof of momentum hashing or whatever, BTS is not even out yet and how knows when it will be out.

NXTMSC has a gazillion one clone popped up right now since the price got pumped up so damn high for adding what socio-economic value exactly?
Fixed!
BitThink
Legendary

Activity: 882

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 12:48:14 PM

I am not a technical guy, but I know this project has a potential bump to bitcoin protocol application. We are happy to see that there are more and more bitcoin protocol application startups. Never think Bitcoin is just a kind of crypto-currency, bitcoin is more than a crypto-currency. Lots of application could be coming out above the protocol. I would like to list the potential project here:

If you know more, add to this thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=428785.new#new

and PTS has it's own unique blockchain using proof of momentum hashing or whatever, BTS is not even out yet and how knows when it will be out.

NXTMSC has a gazillion one clone popped up right now since the price got pumped up so damn high for adding what socio-economic value exactly?
Fixed!
To be fair, XCP at most copied some of the ideas from MSC white paper, not its source code. There's no source code to copy anyway. NXT, on the other hand, published part of the source code, but there's no complete white paper yet. Nobody really know how its advanced features be implemented, or will and when they be implemented.
klee
Legendary

Activity: 1498

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 12:57:12 PM

Fixed!
To be fair, XCP at most copied some of the ideas from MSC white paper, not its source code. There's no source code to copy anyway. NXT, on the other hand, published part of the source code, but there's no complete white paper yet. Nobody really know how its advanced features be implemented, or will and when they be implemented.
No argue on any of these!
Pages: « 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 [71] 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 ... 661 »
  Print  

Jump to: