Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 11:29:13 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 [70] 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 ... 661 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][XCP] Counterparty - Pioneering Peer-to-Peer Finance - Official Thread  (Read 1276298 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
supersuber

Activity: 118
Merit: 104

Counterparty

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 07:04:58 AM

After installing, open a command window and run counterpartyd in the foreground via:

Code:
cd C:\counterpartyd_build
C:\Python32\python.exe run.py server
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\counterpartyd_build\dist\counterpartyd\counterpartyd.py", line 22, in
 <module>
    from lib import (config, api, zeromq, util, exceptions, bitcoin, blocks)
  File "C:\counterpartyd_build\dist\counterpartyd\lib\zeromq.py", line 14, in <m
odule>
    import zmq
ImportError: No module named zmq

Can you tell me what am I doing wrong?

Code:

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
BitThink
Legendary

Activity: 882
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 07:38:16 AM
Last edit: January 25, 2014, 07:51:58 AM by BitThink

This is longwinded but please take the time to read:
I feel like some of you are being close-minded; somehow equating giving a few cents more buying power to everyone who holds bitcoins, to saving starving human beings in africa. They are not the same, they are not equally beneficial. There are roughly 12.3 million bitcoins in circulation (not accounting for lost or deleted coins). Taking 1600 out of 12,300,000 is a difference of 0.000130081300813%

You increased the value of everyones coins by not even a fraction of 1%
Wow, woopdie friggin doo it's so much better that we got that .01% increase than we saved some lives. Good call dudes.

Saying I don't understand proof-of-burn because I don't agree with it is childish.

So everyone who "understands" proof-of-burn is immediately in love with it? Like understanding old world eugenics makes it a good idea?

understanding != accepting

And the comments of "it's so the developers don't run off with it!" are baseless because we already discussed the concept of DAC's and/or bounties.
The funds don't have to go to the developers, but they could be used to fund future bounties by a community system.

This is going up against Ethereum.
Ethereum with its big public flashy IPO, which will have millions of dollars to hire, develop and promote a very similar system.
You want this coin to succeed? Well you aren't making a very good case for it.

I'm not saying that handing money over no-strings-attached to the developers is a good idea.
But at least I'm trying to think of ways to help. Unlike some asshats who think the original devs were infallible in their logic behind proof-of-burn and that we should never question anything because everything was created perfectly. They are humans, they don't have crystal balls, people make errors in judgement.

I'll leave you with this tidbit:

They won't use their new buying power to solve problems in their own life? Why should you give to charity? Charity is not sustainable-

lulz, their new .01% increased buying power is surely going to solve a few problems in many lives.
Why should you give to charity indeed... how dare other people or animals find themselves in need of help.

How about think in this way?

Master coin belongs to JR, Ethereum belongs to Varik, but XCP belongs to the community, not one person or a group.

This is why XCP is unique. Following others blindly will only lose yourself and become worthless. If you really want to help this project, contribute your efforts to the project or donate. Changing the PoB is killing this project. This is an open source project, and anyone is free to remove an address or add an address for burning. The only way to get consensus is to ensure that address belongs to nobody.

I like the idea of  Ethereum, but definitely not their greedy, get all the IPO BTC and then 50% premined ETH by free. They don't even bother to send BTC to the address controlled by them to get ETH.
jimhsu

Activity: 364
Merit: 264

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 07:58:34 AM

After installing, open a command window and run counterpartyd in the foreground via:

Code:
 <module>
odule>
    import zmq

Code:

You need pyzmq: if windows, download here: http://www.lfd.uci.edu/~gohlke/pythonlibs/

Dans les champs de l'observation le hasard ne favorise que les esprits préparé
supersuber

Counterparty

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 09:42:27 AM

Code:
 <module>
odule>
    import zmq

Code:

You need pyzmq: if windows, download here: http://www.lfd.uci.edu/~gohlke/pythonlibs/

Thank you very much!
I installed pyzmq.
Then
Code:
C:\counterpartyd_build>C:\Python32\python.exe run.py server
 <module>
odule>
    import zmq
  File "C:\Python32\lib\site-packages\zmq\__init__.py", line 33, in <module>
    _libzmq = ctypes.cdll.LoadLibrary(bundled[0])
  File "C:\Python32\Lib\ctypes\__init__.py", line 431, in LoadLibrary
    return self._dlltype(name)
  File "C:\Python32\Lib\ctypes\__init__.py", line 353, in __init__
    self._handle = _dlopen(self._name, mode)
WindowsError: [Error 127] 找不到指定的程序。

Huh

Luckybit

Activity: 714
Merit: 510

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 09:47:43 AM
Last edit: January 25, 2014, 09:58:50 AM by Luckybit

This is longwinded but please take the time to read:
I feel like some of you are being close-minded; somehow equating giving a few cents more buying power to everyone who holds bitcoins, to saving starving human beings in africa. They are not the same, they are not equally beneficial.
In order to save human beings in Africa you have to give them Bitcoin wallets and Internet access. It's certainly possible to do it by crowd funding an Internet cafe, giving Bitcoin wallets, or providing Bitcoin wallets via MPESA.

No one is saying that CounterParty in it's current state will be able to do this. But what I am saying is that when buying power is strong you actually have more power to crowd fund / invest in people who live in places like Africa. When buying power is strong the people who work in the USA can use Bitcoin for remittances back to Africa.

If you dilute Bitcoins by infinite inflation then you reduce the buying power which means the person who has less than 1 Bitcoin (that is actually going to be the majority of the people on planet earth) will have significantly less buying power and most importantly their percentage of shares in the total supply will constantly be shrinking which favors big rich people who can keep buying. Deflation helps the little guy who is willing to save whatever small portion they can afford so that you don't have to keep buying to maintain the same position.

There are roughly 12.3 million bitcoins in circulation (not accounting for lost or deleted coins). Taking 1600 out of 12,300,000 is a difference of 0.000130081300813%
And out of 21 million Bitcoins every person on the planet can have around 0.03. That isn't even 1 Bitcoin. Only around 5 million of the 7 billion people on planet earth will ever get to own a Bitcoin.

Having said all that, no one is saying that 1600 out of 12,300,000 is going to make more of a difference than the millions that will be mined before the block reward halving.

You increased the value of everyones coins by not even a fraction of 1%
Wow, woopdie friggin doo it's so much better that we got that .01% increase than we saved some lives. Good call dudes.
You're missing the point. It's increasing the value of everyones coin by a fraction of 1% but when you generate new altcoins you're actually increasing the total supply of cryptocoins which is actually inflation. If you create 10000 Bitcoin clones and release them then you're affecting the buying power of Bitcoin because people will have to either sell Bitcoins to buy these coins or they'll not buy Bitcoins at all to buy Dogecoins for example. How exactly is that better? It's inflation for inflation sake because Dogecoin could have been mined by Proof of Burn which would mean we wouldn't need any of this.

Saying I don't understand proof-of-burn because I don't agree with it is childish.

So everyone who "understands" proof-of-burn is immediately in love with it? Like understanding old world eugenics makes it a good idea?
You don't agree with Proof of Burn but you think mining is okay? You think it's a good thing that there are 100,000 different altcoins all which have to be mined and all which inflate into infinity? If we used Proof of Burn and just minted the coins similar to how CounterParty is doing it then all those altcoins wouldn't have to negatively impact the price of Bitcoin or artificially inflate through mining.

So the real problem is Proof of Work mining. The real problem is inflation. Proof of Burn avoids Proof of Work and inflation and does it without requiring we trust a central party. It solves two problems in a very efficient way.

understanding != accepting

And the comments of "it's so the developers don't run off with it!" are baseless because we already discussed the concept of DAC's and/or bounties.
The funds don't have to go to the developers, but they could be used to fund future bounties by a community system.

I actually proposed a bounty system to the developers. If they built the system I proposed then we can say that CounterParty will have funding but as of right now it's not built so we cannot discuss it until it's built.

This is going up against Ethereum.
Ethereum with its big public flashy IPO, which will have millions of dollars to hire, develop and promote a very similar system.
I actually believed Ethereum would be successful until I learned that they are going the mining route and will have infinite inflation. There is no cap on the amount of ethers.

Knowing this, I don't believe Ethereum can work. If you can secure the network without mining and without inflation that is  technologically better. You can have no cap and still make it work but the inflation rate has to be extremely low. Peercoin for example has no cap but the inflation rate is lower than Litecoin so it's eventually going to work out in Peercoin's favor.

Ethereum from what I understand of it has no cap and has an insanely high inflation rate for no apparent reason. They need to either make the inflation rate extremely low by design (Peercoin has a good algorithm to limit inflation and they should look at that), or they should go with a strict cap and mint every coin over a period of time either by Proof of Burn or by a crowd funding address like with angelshares or exodus. The way it's looking right now Ethereum has a lot of changes to make.

You want this coin to succeed? Well you aren't making a very good case for it.
It's not a coin, it's a platform. I'll use it if it's useful. I proposed an idea to help the development team in private. If they go with that then the spec is laid out for them as to how to do a decentralized autonomous bounty distribution.
I'm not saying that handing money over no-strings-attached to the developers is a good idea.
But at least I'm trying to think of ways to help. Unlike some asshats who think the original devs were infallible in their logic behind proof-of-burn and that we should never question anything because everything was created perfectly.
You've done nothing to discredit the logic of Proof of Burn. Proof of Burn does everything we want it to do and is a proven success. 1600 Bitcoins have been burned.

In my opinion Proof of work mining is what is wasteful. You're telling me that having people buy CPUs and GPUs to calculate worthless numbers is somehow more useful than burning Bitcoins? Proof of X is just about some kind of sacrifice or cost. Burning Bitcoins is a cost, burning CPU cycles is a cost, burning GPU cycles is a cost, you could even give people chess puzzles to solve and that would be a cost.

lulz, their new .01% increased buying power is surely going to solve a few problems in many lives.
Why should you give to charity indeed... how dare other people or animals find themselves in need of help.

If you want to give to charity why not just give your dollars to charity? Dollars don't have volatility and are currently still a better store of value. It's true that Bitcoins price is going up quicker but that is because it's in the exponential growth phase.

Inflation is what makes something a poor store of value. Mastercoin currently is an excellent store of value. If it becomes useful it will be the best store of value (far better than Bitcoin) because your shares in the Mastercoin protocol will never be diluted.

The same can be said about CounterParty. If you buy XCP through Proof of Burn rather than mining then you know after the IPO that you'll never have to worry about your shares being diluted. People do not want their shares to be diluted through inflation.

If you bought a stock issued by a company and toward the end of the IPO some guy posts on a forum that not enough stock was issued, that there wasn't enough time and that we need to issue more stock at the last minute, all the people who purchased the stock expecting it to be a good store of value and not to inflate are going to feel scammed if at the last minute developers change their mind and decide to dilute everyone's shares.

Why is it wrong to do this? Because the only measurement which matters is the percentage of shares out of the entire supply that you own. If the supply keeps growing then your percentage keeps shrinking which means you have to keep spending more and more to keep from losing your position. At that point it starts to look like a pyramid scheme or something.

That is why you want to have a fixed supply with minimal inflation or a fixed supply with no inflation. There is no reason to have inflation post-IPO. And I don't see a better way of doing it than Proof of Burn, your idea clearly wasn't better because it asks for increased centralization, trust, and inflation, all the stuff we don't want.
allwelder
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1004

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 12:20:50 PM

have burned some btc for XCP by online wallet from blockchain.info,my question is that: Do I need to send the XCP to local wallet ? how to ? boz I just can explore the number of XCP ,but I dont know how to use them.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.CryptoTalk.org.|.MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!.🏆
JahPowerBit

Activity: 335
Merit: 255

Counterparty Developer

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 12:58:38 PM

Announcement: The Counterparty team will be paying out a bounty on February 14th, at 00:00 UTC (three weeks from today, midnight on Saint Valentine's Day) for work on a desktop GUI Counterparty client built on top of counterpartyd. The size of the bounty will be the balance of our donation address, 12J1YFvsWHDCU5HNAWNLNy1Q9nZo8Q4Xgs (both BTC and XCP), at the time that the bounty is closed, and the winner(s) will be chosen, thereupon, by a consensus of PhantomPhreak, xnova and myself. N.B. We prefer, but will not require, that clients be cross-platform.

Also, xnova is hard at work on a Counterparty web client, which should be available for preview in the next couple of weeks. More bounties will be offered in the near future.

This announcement was cross-posted from https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=430998, where formal submissions should be made.

+1

It is important to make a strict distinction between the developers of Counterparty, and the Counterparty protocol itself. Burning BTC is only secondarily a demonstration of trust in the developers, it is primarily a demonstration of confidence in the protocol, whereas, by sending BTC and XCP to the Counterparty donation address, the community is trusting the Counterparty team to deal honestly and competently with funds meant for bounties. Faith in the protocol does not necessarily imply faith in the developers, and it is unreasonable to force those who want to invest in the former to donate to the latter. In the long run the protocol and the current developers aren't tied together.

In our view, the short term benefits gained by more donations are outweighed by the medium- to long-term benefits of sticking with proof-of-burn. Counterparty's long-term success depends on it being maximally trustless and decentralized throughout the entire initialization-of-balances period.

The value of the Bitcoins burned is the price paid for a fair launch.

+2

And thank you for this nice code in python. This is a great way to better understand the transactions and blockchain.
520Bit

Activity: 602
Merit: 252

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 01:20:00 PM

have burned some btc for XCP by online wallet from blockchain.info,my question is that: Do I need to send the XCP to local wallet ? how to ? boz I just can explore the number of XCP ,but I dont know how to use them.

You don't need to send the the XCP to local wallet. Your XCP are in bitcoin block chain, you can use them anytime as long as you hold the private key.
Chang Hum

Activity: 714
Merit: 502

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 02:21:50 PM

It is important to make a strict distinction between the developers of Counterparty, and the Counterparty protocol itself. Burning BTC is only secondarily a demonstration of trust in the developers, it is primarily a demonstration of confidence in the protocol, whereas, by sending BTC and XCP to the Counterparty donation address, the community is trusting the Counterparty team to deal honestly and competently with funds meant for bounties. Faith in the protocol does not necessarily imply faith in the developers, and it is unreasonable to force those who want to invest in the former to donate to the latter. In the long run the protocol and the current developers aren't tied together.

In our view, the short term benefits gained by more donations are outweighed by the medium- to long-term benefits of sticking with proof-of-burn. Counterparty's long-term success depends on it being maximally trustless and decentralized throughout the entire initialization-of-balances period.

The value of the Bitcoins burned is the price paid for a fair launch.

What a refreshingly professional launch
supersuber

Counterparty

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 02:37:40 PM

You don't need to send the the XCP to local wallet. Your XCP are in bitcoin block chain, you can use them anytime as long as you hold the private key.

His's point is <how to use them>

qtgwith

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 02:48:36 PM

The dev donation is another thing!!!  Don't involve it in BTC burn and XCP creation!!! Otherwise the project may become a scam!!!

The announcement of XCP is actually a contract between the devs and investors. The rule is absolutely not allowed to be changed. Otherwise the investors will really lost their money forever!!!
This doesn't make sense. A contract can be changed if both parties agree.
Thanks for the double post though.

A terrible idea!
xnova

Activity: 390
Merit: 254

Counterparty Developer

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 03:23:17 PM

Code:
 <module>
odule>
    import zmq

Code:

Thank you very much!
I installed pyzmq.
Then
Code:
 <module>
odule>
    import zmq

Huh

Apologies guys. I updated the docs earlier but forgot to rebuild them at readthedocs. Please see http://counterpartyd-build.readthedocs.org/en/latest/BuildingFromSource.html#on-windows

The pyzmq package you should be using is listed there. Please uninstall that package you are using and install the one linked to instead, which should fix the problem.

Visit the official Counterparty forums: http://counterpartytalk.org
cityglut

Activity: 216
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 03:50:05 PM

Announcement: The Counterparty team will be paying out a bounty on February 14th, at 00:00 UTC (three weeks from today, midnight on Saint Valentine's Day) for work on a desktop GUI Counterparty client built on top of counterpartyd. The size of the bounty will be the balance of our donation address, 12J1YFvsWHDCU5HNAWNLNy1Q9nZo8Q4Xgs (both BTC and XCP), at the time that the bounty is closed, and the winner(s) will be chosen, thereupon, by a consensus of PhantomPhreak, xnova and myself. N.B. We prefer, but will not require, that clients be cross-platform.

Also, xnova is hard at work on a Counterparty web client, which should be available for preview in the next couple of weeks. More bounties will be offered in the near future.

This announcement was cross-posted from https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=430998, where formal submissions should be made.

That's great news. Perhaps a little bit more information in the bounty thread. For example, a link back to this official thread and some information about Counterparty to get some people thinking.

Of course, sorry about that. Thanks very much for the suggestion.
mtbitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 876

Etherscan.io

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 03:59:59 PM

Hi PhantonPhreak/Xnova

With reference to the Counterparty API, is there a way to set it up so that It accepts request from non local IP (external public IP)

Cheers

EtherScan::Ethereum Block Explorer | BlockScan::Coming Soon
coinbird

Activity: 149
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 05:01:25 PM

Code:
 <module>
odule>
    import zmq

Code:

Thank you very much!
I installed pyzmq.
Then
Code:
 <module>
odule>
    import zmq

Huh

Apologies guys. I updated the docs earlier but forgot to rebuild them at readthedocs. Please see http://counterpartyd-build.readthedocs.org/en/latest/BuildingFromSource.html#on-windows

The pyzmq package you should be using is listed there. Please uninstall that package you are using and install the one linked to instead, which should fix the problem.

I’m on xubuntu 13.10 and get the same "import zmq" error after updating.
brite_enclave

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 05:49:21 PM

If you're on ubuntu, just run: sudo apt-get install python3-zmq

As long as you're using the system Python3 (running commands with `python3 cmd`) then you should be ok.
xnova

Counterparty Developer

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 05:51:42 PM

If you're on ubuntu, just run: sudo apt-get install python3-zmq

As long as you're using the system Python3 (running commands with `python3 cmd`) then you should be ok.

Yes, that should work. You could also just re-run setup.py, which should issue that command as it rebuilds the environment.

xnova

Counterparty Developer

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 05:53:13 PM

Hi PhantonPhreak/Xnova

With reference to the Counterparty API, is there a way to set it up so that It accepts request from non local IP (external public IP)

Cheers

Yes, edit the counterpartyd.conf file and insert something like the following:
Code:
rpc-host=0.0.0.0

(you should also set rpc-user and rpc-password if you haven't already)

mtbitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 876

Etherscan.io

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 06:17:00 PM

Hi PhantonPhreak/Xnova

Cheers

Yes, edit the counterpartyd.conf file and insert something like the following:
Code:
rpc-host=0.0.0.0

(you should also set rpc-user and rpc-password if you haven't already)

Thank you.

Is there an equivalent rpcallowip?

EtherScan::Ethereum Block Explorer | BlockScan::Coming Soon
brite_enclave

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 06:40:42 PM

Is there an equivalent rpcallowip?

If I'm not mistaken, rpc-host is essentially the same as rpcallowip.

This will allow any IP to connect:
Code:
rpc-host=0.0.0.0

If you specify the IP number, connections should be limited to that IP only:

Code:
rpc-host=68.122.255.122

However, IP addresses can be spoofed, so make sure you're using a very strong password if you've opened the connection to the Internet (20+ chars).  I would be very, very careful about exposing the API on the open Internet if you're storing any significant amount of XCP/BTC on that wallet.  It would be better to put it behind a proxy server, like nginx.

You probably know all this, but I mention this for the sake of others reading.
Pages: « 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 [70] 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 ... 661 »
  Print  

Jump to: