Bitcoin Forum
June 14, 2024, 05:16:34 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 ... 661 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][XCP] Counterparty - Pioneering Peer-to-Peer Finance - Official Thread  (Read 1276347 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
panonym

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

Help and Love one another ♥

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 02:18:30 PM
Last edit: January 03, 2014, 03:17:42 PM by panonym

I read everything, and I get a very good feeling about it.
Almost wished to say I love you under the exitation *laugh

No seriously, that's very interesting.
The level is a bit too high for me, but fascinating.

I had a simpler version of proof of purn in mind. But your solution seem actually better.
The difficulty is quite increase, but the trustless factor too.
Thank you for being the first with a proof of burn lunch. I was waiting for this.

Until now you also did a good job at answering question.
That's reassuring.
We can see it's in alpha/beta, but that there is some serious work behind.
Well, at least it seems to.
I let the tech-guys check your code. Open source = good point!

Now I have many question. I will try to stick to the main one.
(I hope you're open to feature proposal, I have many ideas)

About the function of XRP:
issuance and order basically allow a descentralized exchange.
issuance = sell order at least at price x
order = buy order maximum at price y
Is that correct? [<= question 1]          edit: seem yes, 'just wanna be sure

The tech aspect is really blurry to me, my level is low.
But from what I understand, it seems that later on it will be possible to create other internal coin.
(maybe by burning XRP, to stay on this very high level of trustlessness)

So let say: BTC, XCP, insidecoinA, insidecoinB
I can burn BTC to get XCP (maybe later burn XCP to get insidecoinA&B)
Your descentralized exchange will allow the exchange function between XCP & insidecoinA, or XCP and insidecoinB. (your project is maid for that if I understood well.)
But does it works as easily to exchange XCP for BTC? (still descentralized exchange)
I doubt the direct exchange between insidecoinA to BTC is possible, but perhaps it will be?! (that's just bonus)
['was question 2-group]
    edit: all seem yes after checking github, just wish a confirmation
            where goes XCP fee? in a lottery jackpot where you buy ticket with bet?

3rd question:
Double spending of XCP is protected by the POW of BTC, idem for future insidecoinX, correct?

4th: the ADDRESS in the command line to burn BTC, it's the private key, is it?

5th: Is there already the possibility to check the total number of XCP inside your program?
maybe an internal XCP transaction explorer too?
(or are transaction encrypted? therefore not public. Anonymity++ EMU-like)
(transaction are the business of no one, except the concerned. But public current balance are appreciated)
Having an online website with stats would be nice.

Long enough, I end here.
Thank you for your time.
reader31

Activity: 221
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 03:13:17 PM
Last edit: January 03, 2014, 03:31:41 PM by reader31

After I get bitcoind sucessfully running(i can see the bitcoind process running),

when I try to run counterpartyd, I get the followiing error,

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/coin/counterpartyd_build/env/lib/python3.3/site-packages/requests/packages/urllib3/connectionpool.py", line 478, in urlopen
    body=body, headers=headers)
  File "/home/coin/counterpartyd_build/env/lib/python3.3/site-packages/requests/packages/urllib3/connectionpool.py", line 285, in _make_request
    conn.request(method, url, **httplib_request_kw)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.3/http/client.py", line 1061, in request
    self._send_request(method, url, body, headers)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.3/http/client.py", line 1099, in _send_request
    self.endheaders(body)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.3/http/client.py", line 1057, in endheaders
    self._send_output(message_body)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.3/http/client.py", line 902, in _send_output
    self.send(msg)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.3/http/client.py", line 840, in send
    self.connect()
  File "/usr/lib/python3.3/http/client.py", line 818, in connect
    self.timeout, self.source_address)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.3/socket.py", line 435, in create_connection
    raise err
  File "/usr/lib/python3.3/socket.py", line 426, in create_connection
    sock.connect(sa)
ConnectionRefusedError: [Errno 111] Connection refused

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

File "/home/coin/counterpartyd_build/env/lib/python3.3/site-packages/requests/adapters.py", line 324, in send
    timeout=timeout
  File "/home/coin/counterpartyd_build/env/lib/python3.3/site-packages/requests/packages/urllib3/connectionpool.py", line 528, in urlopen
    raise MaxRetryError(self, url, e)
requests.packages.urllib3.exceptions.MaxRetryError: HTTPConnectionPool(host='localhost', port=18332): Max retries exceeded with url: / (Caused by <class 'ConnectionRefusedError'>: [Errno 111] Connection refused)

File "/home/coin/counterpartyd_build/dist/counterpartyd/lib/bitcoin.py", line 34, in rpc
    response = requests.post(config.RPC, data=json.dumps(payload), headers=headers)
  File "/home/coin/counterpartyd_build/env/lib/python3.3/site-packages/requests/api.py", line 88, in post
    return request('post', url, data=data, **kwargs)
  File "/home/coin/counterpartyd_build/env/lib/python3.3/site-packages/requests/api.py", line 44, in request
    return session.request(method=method, url=url, **kwargs)
  File "/home/coin/counterpartyd_build/env/lib/python3.3/site-packages/requests/sessions.py", line 382, in request
    resp = self.send(prep, **send_kwargs)
  File "/home/coin/counterpartyd_build/env/lib/python3.3/site-packages/requests/sessions.py", line 485, in send
    r = adapter.send(request, **kwargs)
  File "/home/coin/counterpartyd_build/env/lib/python3.3/site-packages/requests/adapters.py", line 372, in send
    raise ConnectionError(e)
requests.exceptions.ConnectionError: HTTPConnectionPool(host='localhost', port=18332): Max retries exceeded with url: / (Caused by <class 'ConnectionRefusedError'>: [Errno 111] Connection refused)

File "/home/coin/counterpartyd_build/dist/counterpartyd/counterpartyd.py", line 401, in <module>
    util.bitcoind_check(db)
  File "/home/coin/counterpartyd_build/dist/counterpartyd/lib/util.py", line 18, in bitcoind_check
    block_count = bitcoin.rpc('getblockcount', [])['result']
  File "/home/coin/counterpartyd_build/dist/counterpartyd/lib/bitcoin.py", line 36, in rpc
    raise exceptions.BitcoindRPCError('Cannot communicate with bitcoind. (Are you on testnet?)')
lib.exceptions.BitcoindRPCError: Cannot communicate with bitcoind. (Are you on testnet?)

theres are my config files,

~/.config/counterpartyd/counterpartyd.conf

[Default]
rpc-connect=localhost
rpc-port=18332
rpc-user=rpc
rpc-password=rpcpw1234

~/.bitcoin/bitcoin.conf

rpcuser=rpc
rpcpassword=rpcpw1234
server=1
daemon=1
txindex=1

I'm on ubuntu 13.10 and was able to build counterpartd sucessfully from the source....

I'm trying to get counterpartyd running on the mainnet.

any insights would be appreciated. thx.

PhantomPhreak (OP)

Activity: 476
Merit: 300

Counterparty Chief Scientist and Co-Founder

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 03:34:08 PM

I read everything, and I get a very good feeling about it.
Almost wished to say I love you under the exitation *laugh

No seriously, that's very interesting.
The level is a bit too high for me, but fascinating.

I had a simpler version of proof of purn in mind. But your solution seem actually better.
The difficulty is quite increase, but the trustless factor too.
Thank you for being the first with a proof of burn lunch. I was waiting for this.

Until now you also did a good job at answering question.
That's reasuring.
We can see it's in alpha/beta, but that there is some serious work behind.
Well, at least it seems to.
I let the tech-guys checking your code. Open source = good point!

Now I have many question. I will try to stick to the main one.
(I hope you're open to feature proposal, I have many ideas)

About the function of XRP:
issuance and order basically allow a descentralized exchange.
issuance = sell order at least at price x
order = buy order maximum at price y
Is that correct? [<= question 1]

The tech aspect is really blurry to me, my level is low.
But from what I understand, it seems that later on it will be possible to create other internal coin.
(maybe by burning XRP, to stay on this very high level of trustlessness)

So let say: BTC, XCP, insidecoinA, insidecoinB
I can burn BTC to get XCP (maybe later burn XCP to get insidecoinA&B)
Your descentralized exchange will allow the exchange function between XCP & insidecoinA, or XCP and insidecoinB. (your project is maid for that if I understood well.)
But does it works as easily to exchange XCP for BTC? (still descentralized exchange)
I doubt the direct exchange between insidecoinA to BTC is possible, but perhaps it will be?! (that's just bonus)
['was question 2-group]
    edit: all seem yes, 'just wanna be sure
            where goes XCP fee? in a lottery jackpot where you buy ticket with bet?

3rd question:
Double spending of XCP is protected by the POW of BTC, idem for future insidecoinX, correct?

4th: the ADDRESS in the command line to burn BTC, it's the private key, is it?

5th: Is there already the possibility to check the total number of XCP inside your program?
maybe an internal XCP transaction explorer too?
(or are transaction encrypted? therefore not public. Anonymity++ EMU-like)
(transaction are the business of no one, except the concerned. But public current balance are appreciated)
Having an online website with stats would be nice.

Long enough, I end here.
Thank you for your time.

First of all, thank you for that wonderful post. We're certainly open to considering all proposals. To your questions:

1) The order command is for both buying and selling. To switch from one to the other, just switch the 'give' and 'get' assets and quantities. The issuance command creates 'internal' currencies (we call them 'assets'). There's no need to burn XCP to do so. You can create as much of asset XYZW as you want, whenever you want (if you were the original issuer; unless you locked it against further issuances).

2) The exchange for XCP, BTC and all internal currencies (any pair!) is currently operating (though I'm sure there it has bugs). If you want to trade BTC for something, or vice versa, you just have to use the btcpay command, which is pretty automatic, after the order that you made with the order command is matched, so it's almost as easy. XCP fees are pretty much for making bets, and they go to the operator of the feed on which the bets are made.

3) Correct.

4) No, that's an address whose private key is stored in Bitcoind.

5) No, but I'll add one soon. All transactions are public and pseudonymous (like Bitcoin transactions). You can get some information about internal assets and Counterparty addresses with the commands asset and address, respectively. We'd really like to get a block explorer website up as soon as possible, but right now we're focusing on the reference implementation, which might serve as a website's backend.
PhantomPhreak (OP)

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 03:45:24 PM

After I get bitcoind sucessfully running(i can see the bitcoind process running),

File "/home/coin/counterpartyd_build/env/lib/python3.3/site-packages/requests/packages/urllib3/connectionpool.py", line 478, in urlopen
  File "/home/coin/counterpartyd_build/env/lib/python3.3/site-packages/requests/packages/urllib3/connectionpool.py", line 285, in _make_request
    self.endheaders(body)
    self.send(msg)
    self.connect()
    raise err
    sock.connect(sa)

File "/home/coin/counterpartyd_build/env/lib/python3.3/site-packages/requests/adapters.py", line 324, in send
    timeout=timeout
  File "/home/coin/counterpartyd_build/env/lib/python3.3/site-packages/requests/packages/urllib3/connectionpool.py", line 528, in urlopen
requests.packages.urllib3.exceptions.MaxRetryError: HTTPConnectionPool(host='localhost', port=18332): Max retries exceeded with url: / (Caused by <class 'ConnectionRefusedError'>: [Errno 111] Connection refused)

File "/home/coin/counterpartyd_build/dist/counterpartyd/lib/bitcoin.py", line 34, in rpc
  File "/home/coin/counterpartyd_build/env/lib/python3.3/site-packages/requests/api.py", line 88, in post
  File "/home/coin/counterpartyd_build/env/lib/python3.3/site-packages/requests/api.py", line 44, in request
  File "/home/coin/counterpartyd_build/env/lib/python3.3/site-packages/requests/sessions.py", line 382, in request
  File "/home/coin/counterpartyd_build/env/lib/python3.3/site-packages/requests/sessions.py", line 485, in send
  File "/home/coin/counterpartyd_build/env/lib/python3.3/site-packages/requests/adapters.py", line 372, in send
    raise ConnectionError(e)
requests.exceptions.ConnectionError: HTTPConnectionPool(host='localhost', port=18332): Max retries exceeded with url: / (Caused by <class 'ConnectionRefusedError'>: [Errno 111] Connection refused)

File "/home/coin/counterpartyd_build/dist/counterpartyd/counterpartyd.py", line 401, in <module>
    util.bitcoind_check(db)
  File "/home/coin/counterpartyd_build/dist/counterpartyd/lib/util.py", line 18, in bitcoind_check
  File "/home/coin/counterpartyd_build/dist/counterpartyd/lib/bitcoin.py", line 36, in rpc
    raise exceptions.BitcoindRPCError('Cannot communicate with bitcoind. (Are you on testnet?)')
lib.exceptions.BitcoindRPCError: Cannot communicate with bitcoind. (Are you on testnet?)

[Default]
rpc-connect=localhost
rpc-port=18332
rpc-user=rpc
rpc-password=rpcpw1234

~/.bitcoin/bitcoin.conf

rpcuser=rpc
rpcpassword=rpcpw1234
server=1
daemon=1
txindex=1

I'm on ubuntu 13.10 and was able to build counterpartd sucessfully from the source....

It looks like counterpartyd is set to run on testnet, as it's looking for Bitcoind on port 18332, though neither of those configuration files has testnet enabled. Did you pass counterpartyd the option --testnet on the command-line? If so, get rid of that and try it again. What was the exact command that you tried to run? Try the following commands, too, to see what port Bitcoind is running on and whether it's working, just in case:
    bitcoind -rpcport=8332 getinfo
    bitcoind -rpcport=18332 getinfo
btc4ever

Activity: 321

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 04:32:22 PM

ok, that makes sense.  I will turn it on.

However, I have a question and comment for the devs.

Q: is txindex=1 actually required for counterparty to work properly?  why?    Or it is just a case that wasn't handled in the code?

comment:  I think that most people with existing bitcoind installations will not be running with txindex=1.  Please fix the code to detect this case and print a nice warning/error message.

Huh

$ ./start_counterpartyd.sh
  File "./counterpartyd.py", line 504, in <module>
    blocks.follow()
  File "/home/counterpartycoin/counterpartyd/lib/blocks.py", line 401, in follow
    source, destination, btc_amount, fee, data = get_tx_info(tx)
  File "/home/counterpartycoin/counterpartyd/lib/blocks.py", line 306, in get_tx_info
    for vout in tx['vout']:
TypeError: 'NoneType' object is not subscriptable

I ran into this as well, I have opened up a bug ticket with a root cause analysis. PhantomPhreak will hopefully be able to get it addressed tomorrow: https://github.com/PhantomPhreak/counterpartyd/issues/4

EDIT: This is actually because you do not have "txindex=1" specified in your bitcoin.conf file.

To fix, add that to your bitcoin.conf, then startup bitcoind manually using "bitcoind --txindex=1 --reindex=1" (along with a --datadir directive if using a non-default data directory location). Once bitcoind is done reindexing, you can kill bitcoind and restart bitcoin-qt or whatever normally.

Psst!!  Wanna make bitcoin unstoppable? Why the Only Real Way to Buy Bitcoins Is on the Streets. Avoid banks and centralized exchanges.   Buy/Sell coins locally.  Meet other bitcoiners and develop your network.   Try localbitcoins.com or find or start a buttonwood / satoshi square in your area.  Pass it on!
PhantomPhreak (OP)

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 05:05:59 PM

ok, that makes sense.  I will turn it on.

However, I have a question and comment for the devs.

Q: is txindex=1 actually required for counterparty to work properly?  why?    Or it is just a case that wasn't handled in the code?

comment:  I think that most people with existing bitcoind installations will not be running with txindex=1.  Please fix the code to detect this case and print a nice warning/error message.

Huh

$ ./start_counterpartyd.sh
  File "./counterpartyd.py", line 504, in <module>
    blocks.follow()
  File "/home/counterpartycoin/counterpartyd/lib/blocks.py", line 401, in follow
    source, destination, btc_amount, fee, data = get_tx_info(tx)
  File "/home/counterpartycoin/counterpartyd/lib/blocks.py", line 306, in get_tx_info
    for vout in tx['vout']:
TypeError: 'NoneType' object is not subscriptable

I ran into this as well, I have opened up a bug ticket with a root cause analysis. PhantomPhreak will hopefully be able to get it addressed tomorrow: https://github.com/PhantomPhreak/counterpartyd/issues/4

EDIT: This is actually because you do not have "txindex=1" specified in your bitcoin.conf file.

To fix, add that to your bitcoin.conf, then startup bitcoind manually using "bitcoind --txindex=1 --reindex=1" (along with a --datadir directive if using a non-default data directory location). Once bitcoind is done reindexing, you can kill bitcoind and restart bitcoin-qt or whatever normally.

Without txindex=1, Bitcoind won't return the details of any arbitrary transaction. And, yeah, now counterpartyd detects that specific problem and spits out a more reasonable error message.
StewartJ

Activity: 392

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 06:17:30 PM

Question:

How do the developers intend to be rewarded for this?

Is just donations and contributions? Or will they invest like the rest of us in "burning" BTC into XCP?

Thanks,
S.
PhantomPhreak (OP)

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 07:04:50 PM

Question:

How do the developers intend to be rewarded for this?

Is just donations and contributions? Or will they invest like the rest of us in "burning" BTC into XCP?

Thanks,
S.

All donations will go toward development bounties. I know that I, at least, will be burning BTC for XCP, which I think has great potential as a currency.
panonym

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 07:28:13 PM
Last edit: January 03, 2014, 11:12:42 PM by panonym

Thanks for the quick answers.
Not very intuitive... it may be the novelty.

So:
order is for BTC<==>XCP exchange
and issuance is for XCP <==> internal assets
Q: but then there is no direct exchange for BTC <==> internal assets?!

What I really like with proof of burn is that it puts absolutely everyone to the same level of opportunity.
Including the dev.
Congrats for not being one more greedy fast starter.
Your project success, you make money too. 'Good & honest motivation to work!
Thanks for showing exemple. Hope it will have the success it deserve.

It's too easy/unfair to create an IPO coin, sending huge amount of your money to yourself to get coins, that people get by sending you money... scam-smell 99.9%
Just watch Visacoin, Next, Mastercoin, Ripple...
I'm pretty sure for VSC at least 60% of the funds is from the dev to himself.
Almost certain it happened for NXT & MSC too.
(uncomfort: your internal assets are thought to be created this way if no XCP-POB)

Proof of burn is the way to go. Almost scam-proof.
Point of a scam: making you lose money, making the scammer take/win your money
With POB, you can still lose your money, but the dev cannot take/win your money.
Therefore there is not real motivation to scam you.
(Obvious security reminder: be careful not having all your BTC in a single wallet.dat...)

The way XCP are created also seem to avoid suddent wish of purposedly bad wealth repartition...
Yeah, 'thinking Next. (announced ~1.5 month invest time, stopped after 2 weeks... BAD)
[DO NOT CHANGE THE TIME ALLOWED TO INVEST, under any pretext, 'trusting you on that]

Important question:
Let's say my BTC are on vanitygen keys.
I imported a key<1BTC into my wallet, burned it, got my XCP linked to the same privkey.
How do I send the XCP to another vanitygen privkey? (who never touched my wallet.dat)
Major need.

edit:
for the curious = {font=courier}word-effected{/font}
for teletype = {tt}word{/tt} (next to # code)
'learning how to use this forum ^^
PhantomPhreak (OP)

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 07:55:18 PM

order is for BTC<==>XCP exchange
and issuance is for XCP <==> internal assets
Q: but then there is no direct exchange for BTC <==> internal assets?!

Rather:
    order is for {BTC, XCP, or internal asset} <===> {BTC, XCP, or internal asset} exchange
    issuance is for Nothing ==*poof*==> new internal asset

The way XCP are created also seem to avoid suddent wish of purposedly bad wealth repartition...
Yeah, 'thinking Next. (announced ~1.5 month invest time, stopped after 2 weeks... BAD)
[DO NOT CHANGE THE TIME ALLOWED TO INVEST, under any pretext, 'trusting you on that]

Yeah, I myself got burned by Nxt there (heh).

Important question:
Let's say my BTC are on vanitygen keys.
I imported a key<1BTC into my wallet, burned it, got my XCP linked to the same privkey.
How do I send the XCP to another vanitygen privkey? (who never touched my wallet.dat)
Major need.

Just use counterpartyd to send the XCP that you earned to your new vanity address. (You won't be able to use those XCP, however, until you import your new private key into Bitcoind.)
xibeijan
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 07:58:47 PM

For an example successful burn on mainnet, see transaction 685623401c3f5e9d2eaaf0657a50454e56a270ee7630d409e98d3bc257560098. (Of course it looks a little funny on blockchain.info.)

0.0005 BTC were burned and 0.74959091 XCP were earned, at a price of 1499.18182 XCP/BTC. The transaction is correctly parsed by counterpartyd.

That's 0.000667 BTC per XCP.  A crap rate for such alpha code.

Notable projects 2019: Semux, Dero, Wagerr, BEAM
panonym

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 08:21:47 PM
Last edit: January 03, 2014, 09:43:53 PM by panonym

Nice.
order really looks like an awesome function, if it works as pretended.
Have to test.

issuance became totaly obscure to me.
I hope we will see centralized info in the coming 1~2 month. FAQ etc. or wiki-style
A gui too, even if limited at the beginning. <== wish wish

Xibeijan, what do you mean a crap rate?
1BTC = 100XCP or 10000XCP, doesn't change a thing. Have to chose a rate.
Kind of convenient choice. if 1BTC=1000$ 1XCP=min1$
Might very well be 1XCP=0.1BTC in the future. Or 1XCP=1BTC.
Psychologically, it is good that we do not arrive too quickly to 1XCP=10BTC, due to less XCP for 1BTC at start.

For counterpartyd to send the XCP to another address: What would the command line looks?
counterpartyd send --from=mypublickeyholdingXCPinsidewalletdat --quantity=1000 --asset=XCP --to=mynewvanitygenBTCaddress
is that correct to transfer 1000 XCP? (no fee?)

edit: Oh I see on github you have a send command.
Will we finally have descentralized email system where the sender must pay to contact you? 'want that!
edit2: miss read, doesn't seem to be that at all, a pity. [it's for sending assets]
NewLiberty
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
January 03, 2014, 08:38:32 PM

What I really like with proof of burn is that it puts absolutely everyone to the same level of opportunity.
Including the dev.
Congrats for not being one more greedy fast starter.
Your project success, you make money too. 'Good & honest motivation to work!
Thanks for showing exemple. Hope it will have the success it deserves.

It's too easy/unfair to create an IPO coin, sending huge amount of your money to yourself to get coins, that people get by sending you money... scam-smell 99.9%
Just watch Visacoin, Next, Mastercoin, Ripple...
I'm pretty sure for VSC at least 60% of the funds is from the dev to himself.
Almost certain it happened for NXT & MST too.
(uncomfort: your internal assets are thought to be created this way if no XCP-POB)

Proof of burn is the way to go. Almost scam-proof.
Point of a scam: making you lose money, making the scammer take/win your money
With POB, you can still lose your money, but the dev cannot take/win your money.
Therefore there is not real motivation to scam you.
(Obvious security reminder: be careful not having all your BTC in a single wallet.dat...)

This method is worthy of notice.  ++confidence.
One point not mentioned above, PoB, it is also a donation to the larger Bitcoin community in creating slightly more scarce bitcoin.

FREE MONEY1 Bitcoin for Silver and Gold NewLibertyDollar.com and now BITCOIN SPECIE (silver 1 ozt) shows value by QR
Bulk premiums as low as .0012 BTC "BETTER, MORE COLLECTIBLE, AND CHEAPER THAN SILVER EAGLES" 1Free of Government
PhantomPhreak (OP)

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 08:49:26 PM

issuance became totaly obscure to me.
I hope we will see centralized info in the coming 1~2 month. FAQ etc. or wiki-style
A gui too, even if limited at the beginning. <== wish wish

Absolutely. For the record, right now there's a README, a protocol spec. and some documentation at Read the Docs.

For counterpartyd to send the XCP to another address: What would the command line looks?

edit: Oh I see on github you have a send command.
Will we finally have descentralized email system where the sender must pay to contact you? 'want that!
edit2: miss read, doesn't seem to be that at all, a pity. [it's for sending assets]

Actually, send also works for XCP.
panonym

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 08:50:22 PM

This method is worthy of notice.  ++confidence.
One point not mentioned above, PoB, it is also a donation to the larger Bitcoin community in creating slightly more scarce bitcoin.

Yup, NewLiberty is correct.
POB is not a treat to BTC at all.
If it does one thing, it is slightly speeding up it's deflation (or guarantee it).
Theorically. After: it's a pure freemarket.
Where sometime shitty project have huge success & amazing project much less than it should.
Don't think humanity-as-a-whole extremely rational...
panonym

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 08:54:11 PM
Last edit: January 03, 2014, 09:49:24 PM by panonym

Actually, send also works for XCP.

I edit a bit too much my post, sorry about that.
Could you confirm the command try I wrote is correct?

counterpartyd send --from=mypublickeyholdingXCPinsidewalletdat --quantity=1000 --asset=XCP --to=mynewvanitygenBTCaddress
is that correct to transfer 1000 XCP? (no fee? what about network spam-risk?)

Is there a command to see the total number of XCP?
If not, could you add it?
It would be a big plus in improving trust to your project.
(Ability to follow number of coin created, to be certain there is no XCP created without burning)

edit: and thanks for the 3 links.
Already saw them, but good that people reading this tread see the 3 link at one place.
Seems to me you have already done a pretty good job with the doc.
Compare to the average newcoin we get, I'm impressed.
Wekkel
Legendary

Activity: 3108
Merit: 1531

yes

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 09:08:51 PM

I must be too far away from serious dev talk, but could someone explain all this in lay man's terms?

panonym

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 09:14:19 PM
Last edit: January 03, 2014, 09:32:02 PM by panonym

I must be too far away from serious dev talk, but could someone explain all this in lay man's terms?

- The proof of burn (POB) the dev implemented is a fair, secure and trustless way to generate new coin & split them amongst investor. [first one to such perfected level]

- This is a protocol on top of Bitcoin (no alternative blockchain)

- descentralized exchange feature exist from the lunch. [first one having something else than words]
reader31

Activity: 221
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 09:51:22 PM

self.endheaders(body)
    self.send(msg)
    self.connect()
    raise err
    sock.connect(sa)

timeout=timeout

raise ConnectionError(e)

util.bitcoind_check(db)

[Default]
rpc-connect=localhost
rpc-port=18332
rpc-user=rpc
rpc-password=rpcpw1234

~/.bitcoin/bitcoin.conf

rpcuser=rpc
rpcpassword=rpcpw1234
server=1
daemon=1
txindex=1

It looks like counterpartyd is set to run on testnet, as it's looking for Bitcoind on port 18332, though neither of those configuration files has testnet enabled. Did you pass counterpartyd the option --testnet on the command-line? If so, get rid of that and try it again. What was the exact command that you tried to run? Try the following commands, too, to see what port Bitcoind is running on and whether it's working, just in case:
    bitcoind -rpcport=18332 getinfo

running

gave me the following output,

{
    "version" : 80600,
    "protocolversion" : 70001,
    "walletversion" : 60000,
    "balance" : 0.01100000,
    "blocks" : 278479,
    "timeoffset" : -10,
    "connections" : 8,
    "proxy" : "",
    "difficulty" : 1418481395.26263547,
    "testnet" : false,
    "keypoololdest" : 1388704801,
    "keypoolsize" : 101,
    "paytxfee" : 0.00000000,
    "errors" : ""
}

so once I updated the port to 8332 in ~/.config/counterpartyd/counterpartyd.conf I was able to connect with biotcoind.

When I run

counterpartyd --log-file=- -v

I get the following continuous stream of output on the terminal,

2014-01-03-T01:20:57-0800 "POST / HTTP/1.1" 200 38
2014-01-03-T01:20:58-0800 Starting new HTTP connection (1): localhost
2014-01-03-T01:20:58-0800 "POST / HTTP/1.1" 200 38
2014-01-03-T01:20:59-0800 Starting new HTTP connection (1): localhost
2014-01-03-T01:20:59-0800 "POST / HTTP/1.1" 200 38
2014-01-03-T01:21:00-0800 Starting new HTTP connection (1): localhost
2014-01-03-T01:21:00-0800 "POST / HTTP/1.1" 200 38
2014-01-03-T01:21:01-0800 Starting new HTTP connection (1): localhost
2014-01-03-T01:21:01-0800 "POST / HTTP/1.1" 200 38

Next, In a new terminal, I tried to run the following command,

counterpartyd --rpc-password=rpcpw1234 burn --from=1CrmTo7Rtk6keeBHbN93B3tAMCm31sG5Tc --quantity=0.01

to try to burn 0.01 btc, its asking for a confirmation, when I hit 'y', it crashes with the following message,

File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
ImportError: No module named mechanize

I see that the 0.01 btc is still in my address 1CrmTo7Rtk6keeBHbN93B3tAMCm31sG5Tc and hasnt been deducted.

any insight into why this crash might be happening?

Thx for your help. I really appreciate it Smiley

PhantomPhreak (OP)

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 10:05:57 PM

Could you confirm the command try I wrote is correct?

is that correct to transfer 1000 XCP? (no fee? what about network spam-risk?)
That looks correct. The fee is the usual BTC fee for a transaction of that size (very small).

Is there a command to see the total number of XCP?
If not, could you add it?
It would be a big plus in improving trust to your project.
(Ability to follow number of coin created, to be certain there is no XCP created without burning)

Sure. Use ./counterpartyd.py asset XCP to see how many XCP have been burned in all.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 ... 661 »
  Print  

Jump to: