Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 10:03:03 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Scryptpools money trail  (Read 16855 times)
smapdi

Activity: 59
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 05:18:12 PM

Is there anyone who's been scammed and lives in California (preferably San Francisco) willing to be a plaintiff on this? Evidently, California law is advantageous for this type of thing.

I'm in touch with an attorney who specializes in Internet fraud and who also has an interest in cryptocurrency. He's potentially willing to give us a break on the John Doe complaint.

With that we can get the subpoena(s).
st0ned

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 05:45:07 PM

Props to you guys for keeping the pressure on him. One way or another the community will get to the bottom of this!
koppit

Activity: 39

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 03:17:42 AM

Do it! The lawyer by default would get the money by identifying him, even if it takes a subpoena
smapdi

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 02:55:55 PM

(cross-posted from the other thread)

Guys - we need someone from CA who got scammed to step up and be a plaintiff. As far as I know it's just a matter of putting your name on a legal document. Probably a short conversation with the lawyer for basic info. With that, we can get the subpoena(s) and identify Phonetic. I'm not sure how much further I can take it without someone to do this bit. Possibly the lawyer can use someone from another state. CA evidently has advantageous laws for this situation. Maybe there are other states, not as good as CA, but that are worth trying if we can't get someone from CA.

If you're willing to step up, PM me and let me know what state you live in.
smapdi

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 01:14:23 AM

Hate to keep cross posting but I don't want any of the users on this thread to miss this.
scarface

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

Spectiv VR Crowdsale: 12/08/17

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 01:25:10 AM

so is it confirmed the 3b wallet is his or some rich investors? i still have my doubts the pool mined that many coins in such a short amount of time

▄▄████████████▄▄             
          ▄███▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░▀▀▀███▄▄        
       ▄██▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀██▄      
     ▄██▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀███    
   ▄██▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄▄█████████████▄  
  ▄██░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄█████████░░░░░░░░░░░░▀█▌ 
 ▐██░░░░░░░░▄█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄░░░░░░░░▀█▌
▐██░░░░░░▄███▀▀███████████████▀▀██▄░░░░░░██▌
████▄░░▄██▀███████▄██████▄████████▀██▄░░░▐██
██░▀████▀██████████████████████████████▄░░██
██░░░▀██▄█████████████████████████▄██▀▀██▄██
██▌░░░░▀███▄████████▀▀▀▀███████▄██▀░░░░░▀███
▐██░░░░░░░▀███▄▄███████████▄▄██▀▀░░░░░░░░██▌
 ▐██░░░░░░░░░░▀▀████████████▀░░░░░░░░░░░▄█▌
  ▀██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████████▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄█▌ 
   ▀███▀▀▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄██▀  
     ▀██▄░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄██▀    
       ▀███▄░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄██▀      
          ▀████▄▄░░░░░░░░░░▄▄▄███▀         
              ▀▀▀██████████▀▀▀             

[ Website ]                    

Autobot

Activity: 5

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 01:24:54 PM

Not sure if anyone has already attempted this but I signed up for a paid account at domaintools.com to run a whois history report on scryptpools.com. I figured it may have been possible that the whois protection was added on after registering the domain rather than at the same time.

I was able to find 5 historical changes to the whois records but unfortunately none of them contained any personal details, only DNS changes between CloudFlare and the registrar.

If there are any other domains that may be linked to this guy please provide the details and I can attempt to run a history report.
smapdi

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 02:42:33 PM

Not sure if anyone has already attempted this but I signed up for a paid account at domaintools.com to run a whois history report on scryptpools.com. I figured it may have been possible that the whois protection was added on after registering the domain rather than at the same time.

I was able to find 5 historical changes to the whois records but unfortunately none of them contained any personal details, only DNS changes between CloudFlare and the registrar.

If there are any other domains that may be linked to this guy please provide the details and I can attempt to run a history report.

I did the same and got the same results as you. But I've gotten a bunch more domains since then to lookup (and I've since cancelled domaintools account). PMing you some domains (there's a reason to keep them out of the forums at this point).
Cryptoin

Activity: 155
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 06:28:08 PM

Any update on someone from Cali willing to set in motion the legal action to subpena cloudfare and bitcointalk for his identity?  If you can't find someone in Cali I live in MI and would be willing to do whatever is necessary to identify and prosecute Phonetic considering the large amount of DOGE stolen from me. 
clueclub

Activity: 11

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 07:02:52 PM

Two posts, no replies to reasonable requests for information.  More of the same.

Agreed. I see no reason for any change of plans.

In my opinion, what we need is a John Doe civil lawsuit.

This law firm represented victims in a cryptocurrency class action before.  Maybe they would be interested?  http://www.gslawny.com/  They have the added advantage of being in the same state as Scryptpools' web host, Digital Ocean.

I am actually in California, lost 4k Dogecoin...I duno if its worth the time and effort alone on my part for this..  I know some of you lost a lot

For me it's not about recovering any money, just exposing the scammer. As it stands if this keeps happening 1) it's going to become an easy target for scammers and 2) we're never (at least often not) going to know if we can trust the pools we mine with.

If we identify him, not only can we expose him publicly, we can file an Internet Fraud complaint with the FBI. After that I don't really care what happens and I don't expect to retrieve any DOGE.

try contacting the law firm in the link above, they are in NY, and posting your results. damiano seems to be a resident of california, and an active participant of the forums. you could try talking to him before you contact.

smapdi seems to have the attorney contact in california. 
koppit

Activity: 39

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 06:22:57 AM

If Phonetic is related to Apsyon (or is the guy), he will regret this... considering his whois info contains his home address???
Quinnb27

Activity: 2

View Profile
January 22, 2014, 03:29:06 AM

hope you guys can continue with this is some way. This was the first pool I have ever mined seriously with and this kind of stuff gives the whole community a bad name. I lost almost 400000 doge to this guy ($741.6 USD) which could have gone to paying off my $2000 rig. If anyone has more information please let me know.
Thanks

Picture here: http://imgur.com/wK5B4UY
smapdi

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 02:47:33 PM

Trying to get everyone involved in to a Skype chat.
scarface

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

Spectiv VR Crowdsale: 12/08/17

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 10:53:22 PM

the suspected address is still sending/receiving transaction to this day

http://bitinfocharts.com/dogecoin/address/DU4wp32x4kvHHqnhPXJ1LnzsS48LedJvbi

i think we were wrong and this was not phoentics wallet

im pretty sure the initial estimates of 100-200m doge stolen was more correct.

▄▄████████████▄▄             
          ▄███▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░▀▀▀███▄▄        
       ▄██▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀██▄      
     ▄██▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀███    
   ▄██▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄▄█████████████▄  
  ▄██░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄█████████░░░░░░░░░░░░▀█▌ 
 ▐██░░░░░░░░▄█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄░░░░░░░░▀█▌
▐██░░░░░░▄███▀▀███████████████▀▀██▄░░░░░░██▌
████▄░░▄██▀███████▄██████▄████████▀██▄░░░▐██
██░▀████▀██████████████████████████████▄░░██
██░░░▀██▄█████████████████████████▄██▀▀██▄██
██▌░░░░▀███▄████████▀▀▀▀███████▄██▀░░░░░▀███
▐██░░░░░░░▀███▄▄███████████▄▄██▀▀░░░░░░░░██▌
 ▐██░░░░░░░░░░▀▀████████████▀░░░░░░░░░░░▄█▌
  ▀██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████████▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄█▌ 
   ▀███▀▀▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄██▀  
     ▀██▄░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄██▀    
       ▀███▄░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄██▀      
          ▀████▄▄░░░░░░░░░░▄▄▄███▀         
              ▀▀▀██████████▀▀▀             

[ Website ]                    

muchdogecpumine (OP)

Activity: 36

View Profile
January 24, 2014, 03:56:14 PM

the suspected address is still sending/receiving transaction to this day

http://bitinfocharts.com/dogecoin/address/DU4wp32x4kvHHqnhPXJ1LnzsS48LedJvbi

i think we were wrong and this was not phoentics wallet

im pretty sure the initial estimates of 100-200m doge stolen was more correct.

You're misreading the top post.  I never said that Jvbi was phonetic's wallet, I just noted that some of the stolen Doge ended up there.  It looks like this is address either belongs to Cryptsy or one of their customers.
Cryptoin

Activity: 155
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 01:16:36 AM

Any word back from the law firm?
smapdi

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 01:28:44 AM

Any word back from the law firm?

The guy I spoke with suggested a John Doe suit in federal court. Unfortunately he wanted $10k to get from initial filing through subpoenas then evidently the defendant has the right to fight the subpoenas and the subpoenaed entities have 2-3 weeks to comply ... and eventually it'd be /possible/ that we wouldn't get the identity (but likely that we would).

Anyway, the $10k number was the real sticking point and wasn't anywhere near the identity bounty IF you could even get everyone who claimed they'd donate to do it.

Basically I'm out of ideas. Unless someone else has gotten better figures from another attorney or we get Reddit to donate Jamaican Bobsled Team-style to the cause, we're probably SOL.
ateneto

Activity: 49

View Profile
February 23, 2014, 01:05:48 PM

I suggest that we stop discussing general strategy here for everybody/Phonetics to read.
Let us start working with an email list with the people who are willing to put money on the table to move this forward.
I am also willing to get active in this case and do some coordination work please pm me.
I will pay 0.5 BTC upfront to get this started. I am very sure we will get the 10k together.
We will sort this out guys. The legal way might be slow but eventually we will finish this.
ateneto

PS:
This has been the first time I lost money in the BTC world.

smapdi

View Profile
February 23, 2014, 02:14:56 PM

I suggest that we stop discussing general strategy here for everybody/Phonetics to read.
Let us start working with an email list with the people who are willing to put money on the table to move this forward.
I am also willing to get active in this case and do some coordination work please pm me.
I will pay 0.5 BTC upfront to get this started. I am very sure we will get the 10k together.
We will sort this out guys. The legal way might be slow but eventually we will finish this.

PMing ateneto. Suggest anyone who wants to continue on with this do the same.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6]  All
  Print  

Jump to: