Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 06:45:34 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Ixcoin 0.3.24.2 SECOND mandatory update released  (Read 9319 times)
makomk

Activity: 686
Merit: 564

View Profile
September 02, 2011, 02:20:43 PM

On Sept 1rst 2011 at 00:12:51 UTC (in under a week), the new client will switch over to a new Ixcoin-specific pchMessageStart peering marker from the original Bitcoin marker. This change was recommended by a few although we haven't had reports of any issues with this yet. Better safe than sorry. The updated Ixcoin nodes will not be able to communicate with non-updated Ixcoin clients after that date. This will require a restart of the Ixcoin client on or after Sept 1rst. (commit)"
That only stops the two halves of the network from communicating directly; it doesn't prevent blocks generated on one half being valid on the other if you can transfer them over in some other way. In fact I've tested this with a pair of nodes locally and 0.3.24.2 does appear to consider the longer 20032-block chain perfectly valid, I just can't get it to propagate across the network for some reason. Something's really quite broken...

Quad XC6SLX150 Board: 860 MHash/s or so.
SIGS ABOUT BUTTERFLY LABS ARE PAID ADS

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Spacy

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 02, 2011, 02:31:52 PM

On Sept 1rst 2011 at 00:12:51 UTC (in under a week), the new client will switch over to a new Ixcoin-specific pchMessageStart peering marker from the original Bitcoin marker. This change was recommended by a few although we haven't had reports of any issues with this yet. Better safe than sorry. The updated Ixcoin nodes will not be able to communicate with non-updated Ixcoin clients after that date. This will require a restart of the Ixcoin client on or after Sept 1rst. (commit)"
That only stops the two halves of the network from communicating directly; it doesn't prevent blocks generated on one half being valid on the other if you can transfer them over in some other way. In fact I've tested this with a pair of nodes locally and 0.3.24.2 does appear to consider the longer 20032-block chain perfectly valid, I just can't get it to propagate across the network for some reason. Something's really quite broken...

"...I just can't get it to propagate across the network for some reason..."

And you still don't get it?
makomk

View Profile
September 02, 2011, 02:43:57 PM

I definitely don't. I'm running 0.3.24.2 clients, they're connected to other nodes with the changes, when I pointed a 0.3.24.2 client at another node which had the 20032-block long chain it quite happily downloaded it and accepted it as the valid longest chain, and yet it still doesn't seem to have propagated to the rest of the network. There are even other nodes out there with it now; I can start a fresh 0.3.24.2 node with a clean datadir and pick up 20032 blocks.

Clipse

Activity: 504
Merit: 502

View Profile
September 02, 2011, 02:48:13 PM

I definitely don't. I'm running 0.3.24.2 clients, they're connected to other nodes with the changes, when I pointed a 0.3.24.2 client at another node which had the 20032-block long chain it quite happily downloaded it and accepted it as the valid longest chain, and yet it still doesn't seem to have propagated to the rest of the network. There are even other nodes out there with it now; I can start a fresh 0.3.24.2 node with a clean datadir and pick up 20032 blocks.

Still dont get it ?

...In the land of the stale, the man with one share is king... >> Clipse

We pay miners at 130% PPS | Signup here : Bonus PPS Pool (Please read OP to understand the current process)
makomk

View Profile
September 02, 2011, 02:51:29 PM
Last edit: September 02, 2011, 03:27:34 PM by makomk

Still dont get it ?
Get what? Please, clue me in if it's so obvious...

Edit: If I'm reading the debug logs right, every IXcoin 0.3.24.1 and 0.3.24.2 nodes I'm connecting to now has 20032 blocks. It's interesting that http://bitcoinx.com/ixcoin/ still says 20029 though.
Edit 2: Oh, and if this is accurate all blocks mined and transactions confirmed on the 0.3.24.1+ branch of the fork since it split off should now be invalid and at 0 confirmations respectively. Too bad for the users on that side, eh?

makomk

View Profile
September 02, 2011, 04:03:26 PM

I think in the upgrade from the old client to the new client that the current blockchain was preserved and coins were preserved. SO... what happens if:

1) The old blockchain is 51%+ of the combined Ixcoin network.
2) The old blockchain is mined quickly while the new blockchain lags.
3) All of the old blockchain users upgrade their client.

Presumably since they now have the new client, the most networking power, and the longest chain, then all of the others who were mining on the new client find their blockchain invalidated?
This is pretty much what should happen, yes. In practice upgrading your client doesn't seem to send the blockchain to the network properly and I ended up having to give it a helping hand. It would probably have happened naturally in the end if enough people had upgraded though. (Of course, why upgrade if your transactions and mined blocks are then at risk of getting invalidated unexpectedly?)

Lumpy

Activity: 237

View Profile
September 02, 2011, 04:10:00 PM

(Of course, why upgrade if your transactions and mined blocks are then at risk of getting invalidated unexpectedly?)

Exactly. The whole system falls apart.
makomk

View Profile
September 02, 2011, 04:44:29 PM

Exactly. The whole system falls apart.
Well, we'll see what happens once people read this thread and/or spot the recent block-chain reorganization I guess...

Spacy

Activity: 168

View Profile
September 02, 2011, 06:53:57 PM

Hm ok I was wrong, it looks like it was possible to inject an alien blockchain into the new client  Grin So he probably will change back the "messageStart" and the bad miners have helped to speed up the blockgeneration, so that 20055 is reached earlier ;-)
simonk83

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 02, 2011, 09:15:55 PM

I'm running the new client on my machine, my pool and the bitparking exchange. All show the block count as 20027. If you're running the old client I'm pretty sure transfers to/from the exchange won't work as it's on the new client.

Hi mate, sent you this in a PM yesterday:

I deposited 72 IX to your exchange around 2 days ago.   As IX is taking sooooo long to find blocks, it looks like the address expired before the 6 confirmations were hit.

Here are the details:

Date: 31/08/2011 06:56
To: <check your pm>
Debit: -72.52465552
Net amount: -72.52465552

Would you be able to check it out when you get a spare second?

Thanks mate, much appreciated, let me know if you need any more info.

Thinking about it though, the txn got to 5 confirmations and that was block 20026, so that'd mean the 6th should have been 20027, which Oldminer appears to have screwed with (good job there by the way  Roll Eyes).  Not sure what that means for my coins. 

I'm not hugely upset right now as they're worth sod all and I don't expect that to change, but if the planets align and they suddenly skyrocket in value I'll be pissed Wink

Oldminer
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 02, 2011, 09:21:34 PM

Thinking about it though, the txn got to 5 confirmations and that was block 20026, so that'd mean the 6th should have been 20027, which Oldminer appears to have screwed with (good job there by the way  Roll Eyes).  

Sorry , but what the fuck are you talking about  Huh

If you like my post please feel free to give me some positive rep https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=trust;u=18639
Tip me BTC: 1FBmoYijXVizfYk25CpiN8Eds9J6YiRDaX
simonk83

View Profile
September 02, 2011, 09:28:09 PM

Thinking about it though, the txn got to 5 confirmations and that was block 20026, so that'd mean the 6th should have been 20027, which Oldminer appears to have screwed with (good job there by the way  Roll Eyes). 

Sorry , but what the fuck are you talking about  Huh

Was I talking to you?
Oldminer
Legendary

View Profile
September 02, 2011, 09:32:41 PM

Thinking about it though, the txn got to 5 confirmations and that was block 20026, so that'd mean the 6th should have been 20027, which Oldminer appears to have screwed with (good job there by the way  Roll Eyes)

Are you retarded?

If you like my post please feel free to give me some positive rep https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=trust;u=18639
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
September 02, 2011, 09:35:42 PM

Thinking about it though, the txn got to 5 confirmations and that was block 20026, so that'd mean the 6th should have been 20027, which Oldminer appears to have screwed with (good job there by the way  Roll Eyes)

Are you retarded?

LOL shut the fuck up. lol

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

simonk83

View Profile
September 02, 2011, 09:37:53 PM

Thinking about it though, the txn got to 5 confirmations and that was block 20026, so that'd mean the 6th should have been 20027, which Oldminer appears to have screwed with (good job there by the way  Roll Eyes).  

Are you retarded?

At least he's still committed to denying it.   Like anyone gives a shit.  Either he's Thomas or he isn't.  Either way he's got issues.

(Oh, and Oldminer, seems you need it explaining to you, I was talking "about" you, not "to" you.   Subtle difference there.  See now I'm talking "to" you and calling you a dipshit.  See how that works?).
Oldminer
Legendary

View Profile
September 02, 2011, 09:42:50 PM

Are you retarded?

At least he's still committed to denying it.  

Wow and just when I thought smoothie was the stupidest cunt on the forum along comes another candidate batting for the trophy...  Roll Eyes

simonk83

View Profile
September 02, 2011, 09:46:05 PM

Are you retarded?

Wow and just when I thought smoothie was the stupidest cunt on the forum along comes another candidate batting for the trophy...  Roll Eyes

Your clever gibes are scathing and have taught me the error of my ways.
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
September 02, 2011, 09:47:32 PM

Are you retarded?

Wow and just when I thought smoothie was the stupidest cunt on the forum along comes another candidate batting for the trophy...  Roll Eyes

LOL yeah i'm so stupid I've pocketed over 427 BTC total over the past 3.5 weeks of crypto-craziness lol.

That's what stupid people roll with...mega profits lol.

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

Oldminer
Legendary

View Profile
September 02, 2011, 09:51:27 PM

Are you retarded?

Wow and just when I thought smoothie was the stupidest cunt on the forum along comes another candidate batting for the trophy...  Roll Eyes

Your clever jibes are scathing and have taught me the error of my ways.

Good. At least you can learn.

Btw, I think you fucked your username up. Did you mean to put it down as 'simple simon'?   Roll Eyes

simonk83

View Profile
September 02, 2011, 09:54:31 PM

Are you retarded?

Your clever jibes are scathing and have taught me the error of my ways.

Good. At least you can learn.

Btw, I think you fucked your username up. Did you mean to put it down as 'simple simon'?

Oh dude.... really?  

Ok, I'm backing away from this argument, I don't think I'm smart enough to keep up with this level of intellectualism.     Good work though, it takes a man of particular talents to destroy his own credibility in an argument.  Great job!
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: