Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 07:22:30 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Which do you feel is the "best" name to uniquely identify the 0.0001 BTC unit?
1 bip = 0.0001 BTC
1 bit = 0.0001 BTC
1 bitdime = 0.0001 BTC
1 bitski = 0.0001 BTC
1 decimillibit = 0.0001 BTC
1 finney = 0.0001 BTC
1 littlebit = 0.0001 BTC
1 man/maan-satoshi = 0.0001 BTC
1 minicoin = 0.0001 BTC
1 nakamoto = 0.0001 BTC
1 pbit = 0.0001 BTC
1 sbit = 0.0001 BTC

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Name the 0.0001 BTC unit - 1st POLL  (Read 5100 times)
Tisko

Activity: 33
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 03:17:13 AM

"bit" will never catch on for this unit, without context it is not specific enough to be clear what is meant by "bit". so it becomes useless to have this unit and still often be providing the context that we are talking about sub-units of BITCOIN.

However, for example "satoshi" and "finney" are specific enough that can be used without the context (only context is something countable) and everybody knows what they are.

Furthermore, if

1 XBT = 10,000 finneys
and
1 finney = 10,000 satoshis

and both sub-units are derived from people names
...it's perfect.

It's obvious, it's going to be finney.
Waramp22

Activity: 321
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 03:19:45 AM

call it a radeon!

Scammed by Black Arrow? See the consumer complaint thread here -
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=681965.0
Altoidnerd

Activity: 406
Merit: 251

http://altoidnerd.com

View Profile WWW
January 07, 2014, 04:05:16 AM

Then 4100 BTC should be one "Tradefortress" and 6000 BTC one "new forum."

Do you even mine?
http://altoidnerd.com 
12gKRdrz7yy7erg5apUvSRGemypTUvBRuJ
lemfuture

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 04:06:28 AM

i like the bitdime

1ADLcfwTofFXb95pKhebpeRkJ4WTWsvQXB
jonanon

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 04:12:26 AM

It appears that most names in the poll are inadequate.

I'd call the whole thing void and start over with proper contenders - grambit is a great name - why was it not included.......
R2D221

Activity: 658

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 04:53:08 AM

I don't think the name should have the syllable “bit” in any way, considering that it will be confused with “bitcoin” itself. That's why I voted for finney and man.

On the other hand, if we did want to have “bit” in the names, then we should just stick to SI prefixes.

An economy based on endless growth is unsustainable.
x86Daddy

Activity: 216

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 05:00:19 AM

Bitcoin/Bit/Satoshi is the way to go. Each range of 4 decimal places will cover 10,000 units, which is easy to remember, and the names are easy to say. And look at this beautiful little thing below. You can express this whole naming scheme in two lines!

1 Bitcoin = 10,000 Bits
1 Bit = 10,000 Satoshis

Simplicity. Marketability. Roll-off-the-tongue-ness.
That really sums up the utility of using this particular break (0.0001 BTC), and bits is just the simplest, most useful sounding term for it... it even was once used to specify US currency at almost the current value (12.5 cents, right?)  This should be the quick intro, and for anyone wanting the long justification, hit the old reddit thread about it: http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1rmto3/its_bits/
x86Daddy

Activity: 216

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 05:14:50 AM

Bitcoin/Bit/Satoshi is the way to go. Each range of 4 decimal places will cover 10,000 units, which is easy to remember, and the names are easy to say. And look at this beautiful little thing below. You can express this whole naming scheme in two lines!

1 Bitcoin = 10,000 Bits
1 Bit = 10,000 Satoshis

Simplicity. Marketability. Roll-off-the-tongue-ness.

I like this, but the amounts wouldn't make sense to people in terms of most transactions, buying a coffee would cost 100 bits ?
(emphasis mine) That must be a good coffee, at around $10 USD, but check this out, a cheap cup of coffee, around $1 USD, costs around 100 Japanese Yen.  People can be cool with that.
medUSA
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1003

--Signature Designs-- http://bit.ly/1Pjbx77

View Profile WWW
January 07, 2014, 06:01:51 AM

I don't think the name should have the syllable “bit” in any way, considering that it will be confused with “bitcoin” itself.

I agree, I would have voted for these, if they were in the poll:
- Yorozu
- Myriad
- Genesis

and "Yorozu" and "Myriad" both actually mean "ten thousand"
(I doubt the OP actually looked them up before discarding them)

I would have thought the 3 above should at least be better than "minicoin/pbit/sbit"??

Too bad... but this poll is only for fun anyway...

BittBurger

Activity: 924
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 06:06:21 AM

In the end, none of this is going to matter.

The entrepreneurs / startups / businesses which are building services on top of Bitcoin are going to decide how things are named.

And I am willing to bet they will simply find a way to put a different "Mask" on the "0.0002893298" display.   

It will look easy, simple, basic, and catchy to understand.

Its those parties which will be coming up with the marketing for Bitcoin.

Owner: "The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
View it on the Blockchain | Genesis Block Newspaper Copies
empoweoqwj

Activity: 518

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 06:14:02 AM

The name for 10k satoshis (or 1/10k bitcoins) should be myriabits (from myriad meaning 10 thousand). It's poetic, symmetric, concise and clear (except, admittedly, liable to be confused with millibits).

-- FK

The contest to propose a name for the 0.0001 BTC unit continues! Details below....

Please read carefully:

The name list in the poll is set in stone. The primary criteria that held sway was the number of recommendations (including duplicate or similar submissions) for each name, followed by terseness and marketability. That said, I thought some of the suggestions that didn't make the cut were pretty good, but these to some degree or another seemed to spark more interest from the community.

So... please go ahead and vote for whichever name you feel is "best", based on your own personal criteria/preferences/etc. You also get a second vote if you want to throw your weight behind another name in case your first choice doesn't get into the final four (I strongly recommend doing so.) Note that you will not be able to change your votes! Feel free to comment on the choices, or to make the case for one choice over others. As usual, please stay on topic, etc.

Voting will be closed and the thread locked at 23:59:59 CST (GMT-6) on Wednesday, January 8. Shortly thereafter the final poll presenting the final four names will be posted. The final four will be chosen from the highest-voted names that are not found to be obviously flawed (see first thread for examples.)

One final thought: keep in mind that a name for the unit wouldn't necessarily be used as-is; variations of it, or even abbreviations or prefixes derived from it could just as well take hold.

With that, we're off. May the best name win!

Quote from: Credits
bip - arcke
bit - jakioflap
bitdime - amincd
bitski - Bobsurplus
decimillibit - Lorum_Ipsum
finney - bassclef
littlebit - Steef
man/maan-satoshi - wjmilne
minicoin - gbianchi
nakamoto - HairyMaclairy
pbit - Glynn
sbit - arcke

I'm sorry, but "myriabits" is pretty awful as well. This is more like a thread for "worse names we can think of" than "best ones"
jonanon

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 06:25:31 AM

I don't think the name should have the syllable “bit” in any way, considering that it will be confused with “bitcoin” itself.

I agree, I would have voted for these, if they were in the poll:
- Yorozu
- Myriad
- Genesis

and "Yorozu" and "Myriad" both actually mean "ten thousand"
(I doubt the OP actually looked them up before discarding them)

I would have thought the 3 above should at least be better than "minicoin/pbit/sbit"??

Too bad... but this poll is only for fun anyway...

I think these names are a tad confusing - the name should definitely include 'bit' but there are no serious contenders in this poll - most borderline on idiotic  Smiley
Voodah

Activity: 266

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 06:36:37 AM

AWW my "dbit" entry isn't here !!

medUSA
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1003

--Signature Designs-- http://bit.ly/1Pjbx77

View Profile WWW
January 07, 2014, 07:26:38 AM

I think these names are a tad confusing - the name should definitely include 'bit' but there are no serious contenders in this poll - most borderline on idiotic  Smiley

I believe the market has already settled with mBTC/uBTC. Quite frankly, it is the only logical way.
So, we can be "less logical" when putting a name to 10000 satoshis  Grin
westkybitcoins (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: Compromised. Thanks, Android!

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 07:58:58 AM

Less than 48 hours left; over 170 votes so far.

Bitcoin is the ultimate freedom test. It tells you who is giving lip service and who genuinely believes in it.
In the future, books that summarize the history of money will have a line that says, “and then came bitcoin.” It is the economic singularity. And we are living in it now. - Ryan Dickherber
ATTENTION BFL MINING NEWBS: Just got your Jalapenos in? Wondering how to get the most value for the least hassle? Give BitMinter a try! It's a smaller pool with a fair & low-fee payment method, lots of statistical feedback, and it's easier than EasyMiner! (Yes, we want your hashing power, but seriously, it IS the easiest pool to use! Sign up in seconds to try it!)
The idea that deflation causes hoarding (to any problematic degree) is a lie used to justify theft of value from your savings.
2bfree

Activity: 686

I'm investigating Crypto Projects

View Profile WWW
January 07, 2014, 08:03:00 AM

Mili bit, micro bit etc.. I think something like that is the best.

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
>>FREE SEO AUDIT/WHITE LABEL MAKE MONEY!<<
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
2GOOD

Activity: 547
Merit: 531

First bits: 12good

View Profile WWW
January 07, 2014, 01:14:43 PM

They all suck

I'll vote this option  Grin

empoweoqwj

Activity: 518

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 02:04:11 PM

So what? This isn't a community vote. Just someone decided to run a poll. It will be forgotten the day after it closes. Sorry Smiley
2tights

Activity: 308

I like big BITS and I cannot lie.

View Profile WWW
January 07, 2014, 03:33:11 PM

So what? This isn't a community vote. Just someone decided to run a poll. It will be forgotten the day after it closes. Sorry Smiley

I don't like this poll. Poor choices.

How about someone start a thread for suggestions that should be on the next poll which is, I hope, endorsed by Admins.
TheQuote

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 03:38:02 PM

How about someone start a thread for suggestions that should be on the next poll which is, I hope, endorsed by Admins.

What about dont make a new poll? And stick with the names we already have (Satoshi, uBTC, mBTC, BTC, kBTC and MBTC)  Grin

Topic: Free Bitcoin Faucets with free vouchers, faucet of the week, and more! (Dutch)
BTC: 1LoTDRA2odtNzhPAJ1BMq8KTSEj2nh4Gfd
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: